Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

RCarr posted:

Where do I see if a player has a special trait or something that I see people talk about sometimes?

Also, I bought Jordi Alba for my EPL squad, because I thought I had the filter set to EPL when I didn't. I can slot him in and my team's chemistry is still 100. Is that ok? Or will he play worse due to some FIFA magic and his links with surrounding players being red?

Your team will be fine. Jordi Alba will be marginally less good than he could be. On the other hand, Jordi Alba is really expensive and you could spend those coins buying players that are actually perfect for your team.

ps I wish I had 76k coins to blow on a left back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Elliptical Dick posted:

Your team will be fine. Jordi Alba will be marginally less good than he could be. On the other hand, Jordi Alba is really expensive and you could spend those coins buying players that are actually perfect for your team.

I mean I can sell him and make my money back and get someone who fits. So there is a penalty for red links? Even if you still have 100 chemistry?

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

RCarr posted:

I mean I can sell him and make my money back and get someone who fits. So there is a penalty for red links? Even if you still have 100 chemistry?

Yeah, players have individual chem too and anything below 7 really does mess up their skills a bit. Don't know what Alba is at but in that setup it couldn't be over 5 I think.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Elliptical Dick posted:

Yeah, players have individual chem too and anything below 7 really does mess up their skills a bit. Don't know what Alba is at but in that setup it couldn't be over 5 I think.

He's actually at 7 chemistry, because he's linked with Ander Herrera. I guess I should still sell him and replace him with an EPL player though.

Elliptical Dick posted:

It's actually super easy to get a ton of coins if you are just smart about buying and selling on the market. I've built this team without buying any FIFA points, I did get a little lucky with reward packs, but not like any 100k+ players lucky.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Man, weekend league feels pretty soft, competition wise. I was levelling out around 1800 skill points and finding division 4 not that easy but I started 16-5 so far in fut champs although it disconnected me from one that I was winning by 3 so ea thinks I'm 15-6. I also like that it gives you rivals points for doing fut champs, I'm already well into rank 1 just for doing my WL games

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Played a bunch of Division Rivals the other night, and had my first come from behind victory. Felt good, but the first 2 goals were really loving stupid.

First goal of the comeback was a very very stupid own goal,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAfF9-MmC94&t=32s

Goal #2 was caused by a hilarious keeper error,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCPfubWyc3Q&t=38s

And the game winner, after which my opponent ragequit,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0DEhbXK0O8&t=30s

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Also here's my current squads,

Squad A:

Squad B:

I really like the 4-2-3-1 formation. I tried out several others but this one seems to work best for me.

Also I'm sitting on 164k coins and have 2 OTW-Witsel's I bought for 30k each sitting in my transfer list. I hope he does something by at least Black Friday so I can put them up for sale and turn a decent profit. I think I'll wait till the first major crash to start buying better players. For now I'm still trying to figure out how to properly shoot and be decent in this FIFA.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
My 433 4 with IF Mandzukic was not clicking for me. I'm gonna mess around with tactics and stuff and give it another try but I wonder if it's just not that good of a formation. The 4231 is working a lot better for me. This squad is real cheap and has been super fun and effective.

Giovinco is really really good this year and IF Acosta has far surpassed my meager expectations. The duo is lethal. The two front CAMs get really wide this year which is nice.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
Zlatan is pretty great. I tried if mandzukic as an alternative while doing the weekly for the free otw verdi and he was solid but just didn't feel quite as fun, the extra height etc helps heaps (also commentators really love zlatan). I linked him to la liga via david villa and carlos vela in a 4-4-2, villa also always seems to get in good spots.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I went 17-13 for the weekend, which I'm pretty happy with considering that I'm still feeling pretty uncomfortable with the game in a lot of ways (especially shooting aside from finesse situations).

Mandzukic is a dang beast for me, I liked him so much that I rebuilt my other squad so I could use Cavani since I loved him in previous games and he's a similar type of player, and he's been brilliant as well.
Mandzukic and Cavani are both right around 1 goal and .5+ assists per game for me, which is saying something considering I'm having trouble scoring reliably.

Here's my two squads, I run the same tactics on both of them, copied more or less from the german pro DrEhano (but with my own formation choices for a couple of them). My 5 formations are 4-2-3-1, 4-2-2-2, the stock 4-4-2, a 4-3-3 (4) with the cam and two CMs, and my all out attacking formation is a 4-2-4

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

My game just froze in the 91st minute of a squad battle. This is the second time that has happened, and I can’t figure out why the punishment for a dc is stricter in squad battles than in online play.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I ended up at 20-10 (21-9 if you count the one where it DC'd me but luckily that didn't matter since 21 isn't anything extra)

It's definitely hard to finish this year, every pro that I watch has complained about it too, that like you aren't really properly rewarded for generating wide open chances so you're more encouraged to play a style where you just take tons of pot shots and crosses than to actually break down a defense and get a 1 on 1, which is really dumb.

Long shots should maybe take a slight nerf, volleys and bikes a big nerf, and finishing in general should be buffed a lot for 1 on 1 situations, whether it's buffing one particular shot like the driven shot again or just making players much more accurate and goalies worse when you're all alone with him or something.

That or leave finishing like it is and nerf literally everything else but then I think the game will be too frustrating and low scoring, making the occasional lucky goal more impactful which sucks

As dumb as it was last year that it was the cross the body driven shot that you had to do to score, at least you knew if you got 1 on 1 you were like 90%+ to score, I dunno what I'd estimate that at this year, but it's like 75% or less probably no matter what shot you take I think

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
yeah 1on1s are like the hardest thing to score reliably right now which is obviously silly.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I loaded up on 30 If Fornals from 13-14K. Potm sbcs and other bigger sbcs coming up. He's a decently high rated IF and links to all the poo poo high rated sbc fodder spanish guys like iniesta and busquets.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Pretty sure something goofy is going on with my squad battles. Logged in tonight for the first time with no new battles and no update for 1 day and seven hours.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

The Kingfish posted:

Pretty sure something goofy is going on with my squad battles. Logged in tonight for the first time with no new battles and no update for 1 day and seven hours.

Are you on PS4? I had the same issue. It resolved by shutting down FIFA entirely, not just going into rest mode, which seems to gently caress with the timers this year for some reason.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
huge patch that .... fixed a shooting bug and some other stuff for autists

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Didn't fix the bug where your defense won't cover anyone in pro clubs if they have a user keeper that does goal kicks to your own third where they just have 3 players waiting for an easy goal

Thanks EA

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
they are "gathering more feedback" before making more gameplay changes lmao

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Stefan Prodan posted:

Didn't fix the bug where your defense won't cover anyone in pro clubs if they have a user keeper that does goal kicks to your own third where they just have 3 players waiting for an easy goal

Thanks EA

It works playing as Any with an AI keeper as well. Dumbass glitch. Also didn't fix CAM rating bug.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Dollas posted:

they are "gathering more feedback" before making more gameplay changes lmao

why is this funny, they didn't do this last year and they hosed up the game two weeks into its lifetime by overcorrecting. I'd rather they take a bit more time to actually improve stuff with the first major patch than set the game back a year again.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

hopterque posted:

why is this funny, they didn't do this last year and they hosed up the game two weeks into its lifetime by overcorrecting. I'd rather they take a bit more time to actually improve stuff with the first major patch than set the game back a year again.

because maybe they should fix obvious crippling bugs like letting someone in pro clubs just automatically get goals by doing the above, etc

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

hopterque posted:

The CAM rating glitch is literally because when the play switches to defend the game tells the CAM his position is more at LB, how hard would it have been to fix that?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

T Bowl posted:

The CAM rating glitch is literally because when the play switches to defend the game tells the CAM his position is more at LB, how hard would it have been to fix that?

well, probably pretty hard for the one intern they have working on pro clubs that spends 95% of his time helping the main team figure out how to make volleys not magical

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Free kicks seem fixed mostly, I don't automatically sky them every time anymore

I bet they were broken all of last year and that's why they were impossible to make lol

They let a bug where you can't do free kicks in online head to head go for an entire goddamn year I think

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Just played a whole match in online seasons with this message in the way. I just let the countdown go to next match after playing one and the message showed up as it was the game was connecting and wouldn't go away. How is EA so bad at this? (because I keep buying the same drat broken game every year)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Just pulled an Aguero from my Division Rivals trade-able reward pack! :woop:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

RCarr posted:

Very nice

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I've been messing around a lot with teams and tactics and I've hit an excellent run of form. I'll post my team and some thoughts in a bit but I'd just like to say lol I packed Aubameyang (tradeable) in my division rival rewards. I've now had the two least stressful big walkouts, when you see a Welsh or Gabon flag you know you're in business. I got tier 2 div 5 rewards and I'm in div 4 now.

RCarr posted:

Also congrats fellow lucky rivals packer!

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
I made it into division 4 today after having a good run with the 4-3-2-1. It feels a bit wider than last year which helps with my style of play. Thanks Seltzer for recommending IF Mandzukic. He's killer for winning balls in the final third and catching people unaware.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Anyone get anything good in reward packs?

I got Josh King as one of my red cards which is pretty decent and usable, but nothing else really. Probably sold almost everything for discard or under 1000 each.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I kind of took (read: shamelessly stole) a bit of my squad from Seltzer (thanks dude) and have gone for this approach:

Didn't start clicking fully until I brought in Jonathan Viera on the attacking left, followed by David Villa up front. Despite his age he's a highly accurate goal scoring machine, and the option of either Acosta or Viera, or Giovinco in the center, gives plenty of options for attack and goal scoring opportunities. Jorginho and Javi Martinez at the back are great at getting the ball up and the defence has been pretty solid all round. I'm tempted to swap Nelson Semedo out to try bring in someone that would add to the chemistry, but truth be told he has some pretty excellent stats and a massive amount of pace, which is stopping me from changing anything further.

Won the last two games with 3-0 victories so hoping that continues.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

Anyone get anything good in reward packs?

I got Josh King as one of my red cards which is pretty decent and usable, but nothing else really. Probably sold almost everything for discard or under 1000 each.

Excuse me, but did you read the posts directly above yours?

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
Its my first weekend league ever. Holy poo poo people are good at this game. Got completely destroyed in 9 of my 10 games so far (and somehow won the other game by heaps). This whole thing is bizarre. Constant pressure and pace everywhere.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Anyone gonna try to do the Eden Hazard PotM SBC? I'm wondering how much I would have to spend to do it. Probably 500k+, right?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 12, 2018

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

foolish_fool posted:

Its my first weekend league ever. Holy poo poo people are good at this game. Got completely destroyed in 9 of my 10 games so far (and somehow won the other game by heaps). This whole thing is bizarre. Constant pressure and pace everywhere.

I'm finding that also and I've no idea if its because i'm sucking more in my old age or because all my opponents are 13 year old kids hopped up on skittles and red bull.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What is a weekend league? Is it different than division rivals?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

Excuse me, but did you read the posts directly above yours?

Yeah I was asking about weekend league I guess not rivals but congrats on the Aguero

I forgot that people do anything but take the coins for the rivals rewards, haha

According to FUTBin, Hazard is 715k, that's probably optimistic, I bet it's a bit higher than that now

Weekend league is the same thing as FUT Champions, it's a 30 game thing you play over the weekend with massive rewards, you qualify through rivals

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

RCarr posted:

Anyone gonna try to do the Eden Hazard PotM SBC? I'm wondering how much I would have to spend to do it. Probably 500k+, right?

https://www.futbin.com/squad-building-challenges

has solutions and rough pricing for all sbcs, he's very expensive. Don't spend half a million+ on an untradeable player unless you're rolling in dough or he's a favorite or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

Weekend league is the same thing as FUT Champions, it's a 30 game thing you play over the weekend with massive rewards, you qualify through rivals

Ah so this is what you need to get 2000 points in Rivals to qualify for?