Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

bessantj posted:

Bastereaud ended up getting five weeks.

Gotta make sure he's ready to play for the AIs. Or as we call it up here, "The Martin Johnson Rule".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

Gotta make sure he's ready to play for the AIs. Or as we call it up here, "The Martin Johnson Rule".

Considering Ashton got seven for upending a scrum half it's crazy. Also Gordon Langkilde saga has finally got an ending.

quote:

Samoa sevens player Gordon Langkilde pleads guilty to misdemeanours

The three Welsh rugby players attacked by Samoan rugby player Gordon Langkilde after their Rugby World Cup Sevens clash in San Francisco in July are set to receive financial compensation and an apology, with the Samoan also agreeing to walk away from the game for a year.

Ospreys youngster Tom Williams sustained broken facial bones and was left bleeding heavily while Welsh team-mates Luke Morgan and Ben Roach were also injured in a tunnel altercation following Wales' 24-19 victory over the Pacific Islanders at AT&T Park.

Dressing room colleague Luke Treharne said the incident had left the Wales squad 'shocked.'

Langkilde was arrested and initially charged with four counts: one felony count of assault, two felony counts of battery and one misdemeanor count of battery.

He spent a week in custody and has been in the United States for two months awaiting trial, which was due to begin on Wednesday.

But on Wednesday morning, Langkilde pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor counts of assault with force likely to cause great bodily injury.

He also agreed to a swathe of conditions as part of his plea, including issue a written apology to his victims, donating $2,500 to a rugby charity and paying compensation to the Wales players.

He is expected to be back home in the Pacific Islands in the coming days.

San Francisco's assistant District Attorney Nikesh Patel has outlined the conditions 22-year-old Langkilde has agreed to as part of his plea.

These include:

Paying restitution to all of the victims (once the amount is determined).
Withdraw from professional rugby for one year. This covers the period between the date of his arrest, July 21, 2018 and July 20, 2019.
Make a donation of $2,500 to a San Francisco charity, Play Rugby US.
Complete 100 hours of community service.
Complete supervised anger management. The course must be approved by the World Rugby organisation.
Issue a letter of apology to the victims.
Suspension by the World Rugby organisation pending the completion of their investigation.

The Pacific Rugby Players chief executive, Aayden Clark, said he now expects Langkilde to be back home in a matter of days.

"We've had the charges reduced to being misdemeanours. He's committed to a minimum of one year out of the game and will undergo anger management courses and counseling," Clark told RNZ Pacific.

"He's paid a fine to the US courts and also (written) apology letters to the Welsh players... He's very much aware of the implications of his actions and obviously very remorseful."

In court, Langkilde had indicated he would step away from the game but was also prepared to undergo disciplinary proceedings from the sport's governing bodies.

"What happens now is that World Rugby and also the Samoan Rugby Union were waiting on the outcome of the legal proceedings. Now that we have that - those (proceedings) will commence," added Clark.

Langkilde was contracted by Samoa Sevens for the 2017-18 World Series, and though he would now be ineligible for next season, he could yet return to the game at a later date.

"It doesn't mean he can't train the house down. He's still a very young man and still wants to be a rugby player," said Clark.

"As a players association we'll work with him now on what he's going to do with this year out."

Shocker of an episode, not sure why he even did it.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Hogg's hosed his ankle and is out for 10-12 weeks.

Now is the time for Scotland's other mental fullback, 6'5" Blair Kinghorn to get a shot at scoring tries and missing tackles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBQqaVwO_p0

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Who's out altogether for Scotland now? Hogg, Fagerson, du Preez, Taylor, Bennett? is that all of them? Only three games in as well.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bessantj posted:

Who's out altogether for Scotland now? Hogg, Fagerson, du Preez, Taylor, Bennett? is that all of them? Only three games in as well.

Hogg is the only serious loss there I think. Taylor and Bennett are great but I think Jones and Dunbar cover their loss without much issue, Fagerson is still young and probably behind a fit WP Nel and du Preez has been out of the team for a while with the embarrassment of riches that Scotland have in the backrow just now. Just have to hope they stop bodying themselves though as centre will start to look thin soon.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-union/45620932

gently caress anyone that says the game has gone soft.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Vaders Jester posted:

I am unfortunately not allowed to post the photos of Dan Baker's leg :stonk:

Google it at your own risk.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-union/45620932

Yeah, it's crazy to think that. Frankly if 'going soft' means a player can have a career and not have crippling health problems by the time they retire then it can go soft all it likes.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bessantj posted:

Yeah, it's crazy to think that. Frankly if 'going soft' means a player can have a career and not have crippling health problems by the time they retire then it can go soft all it likes.

You see it on any public post about rugby, people complaining about the good old days when you could kick a man in the head and nothing would happen to you. It's a cancer in the fans of the game.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Aramoro posted:

You see it on any public post about rugby, people complaining about the good old days when you could kick a man in the head and nothing would happen to you. It's a cancer in the fans of the game.

Yeah and I hate this whole "who's the hardest man in rugby" thing some fans obsess about. Who cares, who's the most skillful is far more important and interesting.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bessantj posted:

Yeah and I hate this whole "who's the hardest man in rugby" thing some fans obsess about. Who cares, who's the most skillful is far more important and interesting.

Actually I think you'll find its turning into a soft game for pussies and if you don't love being spear tackled onto your spine whilst being punched in the face by someone else then you're a big girl who shouldn't play the sport. (Paraphrasing a little there)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Aramoro posted:

Actually I think you'll find its turning into a soft game for pussies and if you don't love being spear tackled onto your spine whilst being punched in the face by someone else then you're a big girl who shouldn't play the sport. (Paraphrasing a little there)

And this isn't blood filling my mouth, it's victory wine.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

If players get to retire and remember the names of their kids/don't kill themselves or others from CTE because the hits are a little lower or there are a few more red cards in the season for dangerous play, then frankly it's a small price to pay.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Joe "Scrum Straight" Marler has just announced his retirement from international rugby.

The rest of the rugby nations are mourning the loss of the walking penalty machine though look forward to see which England rugby player will step up to the plate of team shithouse. Smart money is on fellow Quins prop Kyle Sinckler.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I wonder if his depression has forced him to make this decision.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bessantj posted:

I wonder if his depression has forced him to make this decision.

Apparently he wants to spend more time with his young family which is perfectly reasonable given how much of a battering his body will take on tour in the RWC and at the England training camps.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

One thing that I do appreciate about the NZ NPC structure is the inter-divisional crossover games. As confusing as it can be at times, you can nevertheless get some surprisingly competitive games and the odd upset, but it also means that the lower division teams are reasonably well-equipped to stay in the top flight when they are promoted. Last year we saw North Harbour prove they weren't a fluke team when they made the semifinals and were competitive in defeat against eventual champions Canterbury, and a team in the second division currently holds the Ranfurly Shield. We also just saw Otago pull of a rare win at Eden Park tonight against Auckland.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
:lol: at the Argentinian player pushing Codie Taylor into the tackled Puma on the ground leading directly to an All Black try

edit: ....um what exactly is the penalty for on that tackle? "never wrapped"? He was stepped inside and the contact was all from his arms as a result, he then peeled away because the tackle was completed by a teammate.... since when is that a penalty offence?

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 30, 2018

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Can we just ban French referees?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Can we just ban French referees?

yeah this guy sucks.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yay, the natural order has been restored.

reac
Jul 15, 2000

nada corre como un zorro

Vagabundo posted:

Yay, the natural order has been restored.

Jesus, that was a close one.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lol, Kearns was talking about how good Coleman is in the pre-match stuff, and the only highlights they have are of him being beaten in the line outs.

It’s Australian Rugby in a nutshell.

reac
Jul 15, 2000

nada corre como un zorro
Would love to see a Cheika reaction shot or two at the moment.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

I couldn't hear the commentators over the sound of the gun against the ARU's head being cocked.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
NZ vs SA was another classic. Their two matches this year were incredible. I watched with some South Africans today, just a heartbreaker for them but NZ was so clinical in those final moments. I thought they were done.

reac
Jul 15, 2000

nada corre como un zorro
Also, there were several shots of an All Blacks supporter in the crowd shaking his head and looking glum every time SA dealt to us. The shot of him screaming and beating his chest with his fists after the last try was the highlight of the game for me. Pretty much just how I felt, too.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

So Cheika's gone after this, right?

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Vaders Jester posted:

So Cheika's gone after this, right?

He has to be. Even if there's a miracle comeback, it's not anywhere near good enough. This team is a shambles.

Argentina has shown a coaching change can transform a team.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Cheika must have threatened to release the nudes.

This commentary team is absolutely rotten though.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

hoooooooly poo poo

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Well they had the miracle comeback

What a tournament.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

sleep with the vicious posted:

He has to be. Even if there's a miracle comeback, it's not anywhere near good enough. This team is a shambles.

So who do you replace him with. Frankly, every person the ARU has brought in post-Deans has gotten worse and worse.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

So who do you replace him with. Frankly, every person the ARU has brought in post-Deans has gotten worse and worse.

YOU GO WITH BERNIE GO HORSIES WOOOOOOO

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Blackadder's job is done at Bath soon, can't be worse than anyone Australia has to offer.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Vaders Jester posted:

Blackadder's job is done at Bath soon, can't be worse than anyone Australia has to offer.

gently caress you guys are desperate

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

tarbrush posted:

gently caress you guys are desperate

I'm not Australian, I don't give a gently caress who coaches them and Blackadder has torpedoed Bath enough that he'll probably head South again.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Vaders Jester posted:

I'm not Australian, I don't give a gently caress who coaches them and Blackadder has torpedoed Bath enough that he'll probably head South again.

Ah, makes more sense

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Bristol were absolute trash today. Just seems like they don't give a poo poo at the moment which is a complete contrast to the impression the club is giving. Feels like they've got to the prem again and are quite content sitting mid table. As much as I want to see them thrive, if they're gonna continue to be crap then going back to the championship is in order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Looke posted:

Bristol were absolute trash today. Just seems like they don't give a poo poo at the moment which is a complete contrast to the impression the club is giving. Feels like they've got to the prem again and are quite content sitting mid table. As much as I want to see them thrive, if they're gonna continue to be crap then going back to the championship is in order

How did Zane Kirchner do?