Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Rhyno posted:

Orrrrrrr you want to stoke that kid into being a psychopath because you're still bitter about a post TQIRL made years ago.

Well there's only one way to find out and that's by going to see the movie!! :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Get ready for the Sony Marvel Universe

https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/st...ception-a163965

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rhyno posted:

That post feels like it's a trick.
It was accurate. Venom eats dudes and there’s harsh language (the movie was obviously shot to be rated R and then edited down, which I think was a mistake), but it’s surprisingly good-natured.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, once Venom actually shows up the movie really perks up.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

JordanKai posted:

Well there's only one way to find out and that's by going to see the movie!! :twisted:

Yeah I guess I'll go bring him to see it and report back if it scars him too much.

Mostly I suspect it will be an excuse for me to give my nephews some copies of Bagley drawn Spider-man stories that feature Venom.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Venom end end credits thing is an extended clip of Enter the Spider-Verse and man, that looks real good.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I was surprised by how bloodless Venom was, even when you see people actively die on screen. I guess I went into it thinking that it was going to be more of a horror than it actually was.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The only Venom thing that might be too dark for kids is the unnerving failed test subject scene, but your mileage may vary.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bessantj posted:

I was surprised by how bloodless Venom was, even when you see people actively die on screen. I guess I went into it thinking that it was going to be more of a horror than it actually was.

I think the director wanted to make it R but Sony got scared at the last minute like they usually do.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I think the director wanted to make it R but Sony got scared at the last minute like they usually do.

Yeah it was a "15" in the UK which is usually a sign that it's going to be devoid of any type of gore. The first time the bad guys goons attack Brock reminded me of those kung fu movies where eight bad guys surround the hero, one of them attacks him, he kicks them and they fall down before getting back up and letting someone else have a go. Though I can understand why Sony would go for the lower rating.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't think it needed to be any gnarlier than it was. No need to bar 13-16 year olds.

Edit: Not saying a completely gory take wouldn't suit Venom, just that this movie as it was didn't need that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 6, 2018

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm sitting in the theater with my 6 year old waiting for Venom to start as we speak so we'll see if he goes Michael Myers on me over it

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

I don't think it needed to be any gnarlier than it was. No need to bar 13-16 year olds.

Edit: Not saying a completely gory take wouldn't suit Venom, just that this movie as it was didn't need that.

Yeah, I know I sound like "waaa waa this isn't catering to what I want." But I don't really think that. I think I went into the movie with the wrong attitude is all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Retro Futurist posted:

I'm sitting in the theater with my 6 year old waiting for Venom to start as we speak so we'll see if he goes Michael Myers on me over it

He's going to follow you around saying "party on Garth."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I keep seeing clickbaity stuff saying MARK RUFFOLO FIRED FROM AVENGERS 4!!!!

That's BS right?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

That's BS right?

This seems to be the summary.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

twistedmentat posted:

That's BS right?

It's a joke based on a Fallon appearance, I believe.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That makes sense. Basically unless goons are talking about it, I figure its poo poo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

That makes sense. Basically unless goons are talking about it, I figure its poo poo.

So you figure real life is poo poo? :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TwoPair posted:

So you figure real life is poo poo? :v:

He's not wrong.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Retro Futurist posted:

We had a talk about how it's only a movie, and he must never eat anyone's head or he'll be in big trouble.
But no it was fine, a couple of scary parts earlier on but more jump scares than anything. Once it gets going its no worse than any other super hero movie (for example, Spider Man doesn't die sobbing in it, so that's a step up).
That was a really fun movie. I went in with fairly low expectations but it was kind of a blast. Tom Hardy is channeling Nic Cage throughout and he really just makes the whole thing enjoyable but going all in; whoever called it "the superhero version of The Room" kind of nailed it. I also really liked how much weight they gave him; he moves like Spider-Man but leaves craters when he lands.
Only complaint would bethe villain. I get not wanting to jump right into Carnage (and God I hope this gets a sequel because Woody would loving nail Carnage), but they really should have given Riot a more visually distinct look, a flash of color or some spikes or something would have gone a long way.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/st...466880%3Fs%3D19

Here comes Morbius, Silver Sable, Black Cat and all the other Marvel movies Sony has in production.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Why is it such a hit internationally?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

notthegoatseguy posted:

Tentacles are popular in Asia for various reasons.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's a pretty slow period for action movies.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

notthegoatseguy posted:

The largest revenue for superhero movies has been from foreign markets since forever. You must have noticed that several countries have them on theaters a week or two before the US.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

The largest revenue for superhero movies has been from foreign markets since forever. You must have noticed that several countries have them on theaters a week or two before the US.

A significant reason for the early releases is to beat pirated copies to market. That tends to happen in countries where bootleg copies eat the most business.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, there's not a whole lot of competition. What other big action movies are in the cinema at the moment? Mission Impossible and Ant-Man are both still in theatres but most people will have seen them already.

We already know Bob Iger has been kicking himself. :v:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

lomzus posted:

Here comes Morbius, Silver Sable, Black Cat and all the other Marvel movies Sony has in production.

:bisonyes:

I'm gonna be showing up to Venom sequels on premiere night 'till the day I die.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
It's great that people are finding enjoyment in what one person described as "The "The Room" of comic book movies," but I'm really depressed that we had a glimpse of a really good and awesome Spider-Man franchise and now it's all hosed again.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

lomzus posted:

:bisonyes:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jamesman posted:

It's great that people are finding enjoyment in what one person described as "The "The Room" of comic book movies," but I'm really depressed that we had a glimpse of a really good and awesome Spider-Man franchise and now it's all hosed again.

That person's ridiculous.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Putting Venom in Spider-Man would be bad, because Venom sucks. So this is fine.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Venom does not suck. Venom has parts of his history that aren't good, but that's comics.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
please do not put symbiote-a-rama in my good spidey movies tia

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Venom sucks brains.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

We’ll see how Venom’s Box Office legs are, because it only got a B+ Cinemascore which means audiences weren’t that impressed with it. Historically that puts it in some crappy company comic book movie wise.

B+
Blade II, Blade: Trinity, Thor, Spider-Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Punisher, Superman Returns, X-Men: First Class, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Suicide Squad, Justice League

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ah, Cinemascore. Yes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anything ever get a bad CinemaScore other than horror movies? Even good horror movies tend to get "F" don't they?

I think CinemaScore (like Rotten Tomatoes audience scores, though for different reasons) are basically meaningless, because people change their minds once time has elapsed from seeing the movie. The only way to take the temperature of what an audience thinks of a movie is to keep your ear to the ground and have a look at what people are saying and what the tone and tenor of the discussion is. That's what I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
First Class is a good movie.

• Locked thread