Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Hecatia, as well. Her plurality is also Red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Also fixed. Also thanks.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Fully automated luxury gay space communist Gensokyo NOW

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Gensokyo's primary industry is belief, and the means of production (the human village) and the product (existence) are both already under the common ownership of the youkai. For more information, please read my 100,000-word fanfic on the subject.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

Justus posted:

Fully automated luxury gay space communist Gensokyo NOW

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
seija did nothing wrong

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
http://chenkari.tumblr.com/post/178385694930/one-two-three-four-were-yakumos-at-work

As an aside family!Yakumos are always the best interpretation.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yukari basically built her own sexbot.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

WarpedNaba posted:

Yukari basically built her own sexbot.
Pygmalion and the sexbot: a tale as old as time. I can't imagine why it would resonate with anime nerds...

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

IT'S ALREADY TOO LATE!!!

https://twitter.com/harukawamakis/status/1044607988642631680

https://twitter.com/finaltakenoko/status/1045235057793753089

Caution: potentially :nws: Twitter timelines.

Rectus fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 27, 2018

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

All dead memes go to gensokyo

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
when will this website fall into gensokyo

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

It clearly has to get even deader and gayer.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

According to Hieda (2006), the best way to deal with a ghost that doesn't realise it's dead is to find its corpse and give it a proper burial.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

her last name is Hiedano now please get with the times

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

a cartoon duck posted:

her last name is Hiedano now please get with the times
I finally got around to reading the first translated volume, and this isn't even the weirdest translation choice.

It was trying to pass off "heartful" as an actual English word.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I wasn't even being sarcastic, I genuinely prefer Akyu Hiedano over Hieda no Akyu just because of the awkward inconsistency between Western and Japanese naming orders the latter creates in character names.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
No is kinda like Von (as I understand it anyway), so they could just have called her Akyu No Hieda, I think that'd make sense

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Carlioo posted:

No is kinda like Von (as I understand it anyway), so they could just have called her Akyu No Hieda, I think that'd make sense
That seems like the worst of both worlds. It's not what people are used to or correct Japanese.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Might as well go all the way and call her Akyuu von Hieda then.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012

leather fedora posted:

I finally got around to reading the first translated volume, and this isn't even the weirdest translation choice.

I kind of thought it was a loanword, but it's in The Souls of Black Folk (1961)... as a noun, though.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
It's one of those weird Japanese-specific combinations of English loanwords that don't actually exist in English, like salaryman or cosplay.

Some translators might go "oh, that meaning should be obvious so I'll just translate it straight" but even if that's the case, the reader will likely have never seen that word before so it'll take half a second to register. Cosplay managed to get adopted back into English since it does have a unique meaning but salaryman and heartful aren't needed because they already have English analogues (office worker/heartwarming).

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

leather fedora posted:

It's one of those weird Japanese-specific combinations of English loanwords that don't actually exist in English, like salaryman or cosplay.

Some translators might go "oh, that meaning should be obvious so I'll just translate it straight" but even if that's the case, the reader will likely have never seen that word before so it'll take half a second to register. Cosplay managed to get adopted back into English since it does have a unique meaning but salaryman and heartful aren't needed because they already have English analogues (office worker/heartwarming).

I much prefer "slave to capitalism" over "office worker." Please apply this to future translation project, tia.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

leather fedora posted:

Heartful is a word in English. It's in the Oxford dictionary and everything: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/heartful

It's just not a word that we ever commonly use.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Hey look a full translation for the TPDP expansion

http://thpp.supersanctuary.net/forum/index.php?topic=4364.0

whoah

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
The latest magazine included a teaser for the next Touhou book, a collection of spell cards framed like a fireworks competition.

Each spell card was going to have a comment from the user presenting its unique qualities and an evaluation from 5 of 6 judges and an overall score. The judges are Reimu (merciless), Marisa (focuses on the technical side), Sanae (aesthetics), Sakuya (aesthetics/practicality), Sumireko (easily impressed), and Youmu (Youmu).

I didn't see a release date but Spring seems like a safe bet. While I'm not sure if it will go as in-depth as Grimoire of Marisa, the format promises lots of snark like the cross reviews so it'll be a good read.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Oh that kicks rear end, the Grimoire of Marisa owned

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm glad Youmu is just Youmu

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ready for Reimu to murder the entire cast in cold blood, again

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Ready for Reimu's takes.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

voltcatfish posted:

I'm glad Youmu is just Youmu
One of the preview cards is Marisa's Master Spark But With A Flashlight from Fairy Wars and Youmu gives it high marks simply because she had no idea a flashlight could be that bright.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
So reimu is the Simon Cowell

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
What is 信仰は儚き人間の為に "Faith is for the Transient People" supposed to mean? I take it to be about how humans, being fragile and short-lived, make up stories about gods mainly to make themselves feel better. That seems, you know, thematic and stuff - but it doesn't totally jibe with the conventional translation, so I'm wondering if whoever came up with that understood something I don't, or just didn't know how to write good.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Translated the preview manga for the new thing.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

That's a pretty cute intro to this, thank you for translating.

I love how Reimu, Sakuyra & Sanae just tear into her about the flashlight but I think my favorite preview comment is Youmu vs Kogasa
"Nope, this danmaku is too watery. I refuse to accept that you can make fireworks out of water." :allears:

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

So reimu is the Simon Cowell

I can totally see the simon cowell in gensokyo doujin already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

FractalSandwich posted:

What is 信仰は儚き人間の為に "Faith is for the Transient People" supposed to mean? I take it to be about how humans, being fragile and short-lived, make up stories about gods mainly to make themselves feel better. That seems, you know, thematic and stuff - but it doesn't totally jibe with the conventional translation, so I'm wondering if whoever came up with that understood something I don't, or just didn't know how to write good.

I always took it to mean that faith is for humans, not for gods. The gods exist for humanity, and not the other way around. I do think it's awkwardly translated.