Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What are the pros and cons of Pi Hole on Docker vs straight through bash on Raspbian? Does the added layer of abstraction in the container help at all for security? I know I don’t want to advertise it externally, I want to try to keep it as secure as possible since it will be on my wired network.

Has anyone installed the Kodi 18 beta? It seems like it has better support for DRM-enabled media, so I’m going to run it and hope the stable version comes out soon. I also see it has a game emulator, anyone know how well it works?

Do any of those console-looking cases have power switches that plug into the GPIO header and give an actual shutdown / reset command? I know just hitting the power button on the cable can gently caress your SD card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

DizzyBum posted:

The 3B+ LAN port is hampered by the USB 2.0 bus, but is still capable of something like ~320Mbps. So if you're doing 100Mbps speedtests on it, you should be fine. It's a big upgrade over the 3B.

Thanks. Ultimately decided to pick up a 3B+, and got the initial setup in place tonight.

Looks like the 3B+ is going to be spitting out numbers in line with my current internet speed when using speedtest-cli. Guess I'll spend the weekend finding out if I took good enough notes to recreate what I did on the 3B, and decide whether to move the 4x20 LCD over, or try something with ePaper.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What are the pros and cons of Pi Hole on Docker vs straight through bash on Raspbian? Does the added layer of abstraction in the container help at all for security? I know I don’t want to advertise it externally, I want to try to keep it as secure as possible since it will be on my wired network.

Has anyone installed the Kodi 18 beta? It seems like it has better support for DRM-enabled media, so I’m going to run it and hope the stable version comes out soon. I also see it has a game emulator, anyone know how well it works?

Do any of those console-looking cases have power switches that plug into the GPIO header and give an actual shutdown / reset command? I know just hitting the power button on the cable can gently caress your SD card.

Did you order a new on or did you go for the original model B?

A little late to the party but my original model b did not run the pihole well. Each dns request took 2-3 seconds longer than without it so that killed the WAF (wife acceptence factor) so I disabled it and use that pi for other things now.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I got a new 3 B+ because I didn't like the idea of being so far behind already when I would probably have to get new parts in there before long if I was going to keep it running all the time. I got the whole thing including keyboard for $60 with careful shopping and discount codes. No ethernet cables or HDMI cables, but I've got boxes full of unused cables.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Okay, I think I screwed something up.

I enabled Wait for Network on Boot in raspi-config on my raspberry Pi B+
I have it hooked up via ethernet, but I don't have a wifi configuration set for it, and the wifi is turned off.

When I shut it down, and turned it back on again, the light came on, but it never connects to the LAN, and booting doesn't seem to happen.

Is there a way for me to end run around this "Wait for Network on Boot" so I can have it boot the way it used to?

Is there something I can edit on the SD card to disable it? I have a linux virtual machine on my desktop, and can access the filesystem that way, if need be.

mystes
May 31, 2006

maltesh posted:

Okay, I think I screwed something up.

I enabled Wait for Network on Boot in raspi-config on my raspberry Pi B+
I have it hooked up via ethernet, but I don't have a wifi configuration set for it, and the wifi is turned off.

When I shut it down, and turned it back on again, the light came on, but it never connects to the LAN, and booting doesn't seem to happen.

Is there a way for me to end run around this "Wait for Network on Boot" so I can have it boot the way it used to?

Is there something I can edit on the SD card to disable it? I have a linux virtual machine on my desktop, and can access the filesystem that way, if need be.
Based on the code for raspi-config it looks like this setting creates a file /etc/systemd/system/dhcpcd.service.d/wait.conf so try deleting that.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Thanks, I deleted the file. Still having the same issue The red power light comes on, but the green light never blinks. At this point, since everything was in operation a little over than a day, I'm starting to wonder if I'd be better off just wiping the memory card and starting anew.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I picked up a Pi 1B and I’m looking to find out how to get the most out of it. I’m thinking it’ll only be good for retro gaming at this point given the specs but I don’t know much. I installed Retropie on a 64GB card but it doesn’t play well with setting up my 360 controller then it refused to boot up again after my power cord fell out of it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Island Nation posted:

I picked up a Pi 1B and I’m looking to find out how to get the most out of it. I’m thinking it’ll only be good for retro gaming at this point given the specs but I don’t know much. I installed Retropie on a 64GB card but it doesn’t play well with setting up my 360 controller then it refused to boot up again after my power cord fell out of it.

It's really easy to have your SD card get corrupted if the Pi loses power unexpectedly. I had to setup retropie twice due to this and now just keep images of the important cards post-setup on my desktop PC just in case. You will probably have to image it and set it up again. The Pi 1B can play some games although it's obviously not as quick as the newer models. I suspect you can play a lot of stuff but not everything. There will be some trial and error. I also had issues with the Pi 1B doing playback of higher bitrate encodes of shows and movies with Kodi but you should be able to play a lot of things if you want to.

There's also a million electronics projects you could use it for, or home automation (domoticz), or whatever. It's a flexible platform because a lot of different things have been developed for it.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Rexxed posted:

It's really easy to have your SD card get corrupted if the Pi loses power unexpectedly. I had to setup retropie twice due to this and now just keep images of the important cards post-setup on my desktop PC just in case.
If you have a Linux PC / boot disk you can usually repair the card filesystem/s with fsck.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've not had a corrupt card in years and years across the 4 pi I have running, all of them different models and all getting the power yanked regularly

Just don't cheap out on memory cards

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Skarsnik posted:

I've not had a corrupt card in years and years across the 4 pi I have running, all of them different models and all getting the power yanked regularly

Same. And my pi b (original) has been running 24/7 since I got it. That’s what, 5 years already? I should really replace it before it actually dies I guess.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Fuzz1111 posted:

If you have a Linux PC / boot disk you can usually repair the card filesystem/s with fsck.

I’ve been using diskpart in Windows to repair it for now. I put Lakka on a card in place of Retropie but I can’t work on it until Friday

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Skarsnik posted:

This is interesting to me. Do you mean that power loss is causing physical damage/corruption on the card, which is worse in cheaper cards? I thought it was inconsistent filesystem state in software that was the issue.

What are the attributes of cheaper cards that make them more susceptible to that corruption? It occurs to me that I don’t really know how they’re made.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It has nothing to do with that. It's just luck. If the file system was being written to, it could get corrupted. If it was just idle, it could be fine.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I don't know much about flash memory. Maybe more expensive cards are better made and somehow internally more robust than the cheaper ones. I've gotten a vague sense from this thread that the corruption protection in larger flash memory products isn't present in tiny SD cards, and if that is true, then I don't see how the more expensive cards can be better at resisting corruption due to power failure.

That said, I had a Kingston card go corrupt and just use the Samsungs I've heard sung about on this thread, and haven't had any issues, and that's with the occasional cord yank.

Anyone know?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
It really just depends if you're doing writes when the power is pulled. SD cards work by erasing entire sectors at a time so when you want to update just one byte it pulls out a big chunk (~512 bytes) to a cache, updates the data, erases the sector, then write the entire updated sector back to the flash memory. The big problem is with your filesystem, it typically has a list of all the data that has to be updated when files are added, deleted, moved, etc. If the power is pulled while that root part of the filesystem is in cache and being updated... kaboom it's all gone.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
All of my rpi sd card failures have been on runeaudio or volumio during normal operation and not the retropi that I’ll pull the plug on if a controller stops working.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mod sassinator posted:

It really just depends if you're doing writes when the power is pulled. SD cards work by erasing entire sectors at a time so when you want to update just one byte it pulls out a big chunk (~512 bytes) to a cache, updates the data, erases the sector, then write the entire updated sector back to the flash memory. The big problem is with your filesystem, it typically has a list of all the data that has to be updated when files are added, deleted, moved, etc. If the power is pulled while that root part of the filesystem is in cache and being updated... kaboom it's all gone.

It's weird to me that that's the case with a journalling filesystem, since that's exactly the reason one uses such an FS. I guess it's also weird to me that there's an erase step instead of just writing the new sector atomically, but even then. I will have to learn more about this, thanks!

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Regarding the randomly corrupting SD cards, I saw a video from a Linux conference where the speaker mentions finding a bug in the generic SD infrastructure where probes to detect if the card was present could occur during a read or write and corrupt it. That would explain why the corruption seemed really random since it actually was.

This is the video, it should start at the relevant time (30:43): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0milqmt4ao&t=1843s

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
I've done a couple of projects which involved deploying a number of pi's into sketchy environments where the power could go at any moment. We had a reasonable number of them fail at random because the SD cards became corrupt. Some of them could be recovered, in the sense that we could re-image the cards and put them back out in the field, but there were a number of cards that couldn't be re-imaged either, they had to be tossed. I was never able to corrupt my own test cards despite trying very hard to do so, but the failures happened in the field fairly often.
My solution was to tweak the filesystem layout so that the OS and my applications were stored on read-only partitions, and I had a writeable partition for storing temporary files. When I needed to push an application update, the update script would remount the root fs as read-write, update whichever files, and then reboot, which mounted the root fs read-only again. This dropped the corruption rate dramatically.

I hardly do any dev on the pi's any more, but I have a Pi2B without the read-only root partition shenanigans running Plex Media Server, Transmission, OpenVPN, PiHole and Squid in my home office 24x7, and it's survived a few random power outages without any issue.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Island Nation posted:

I’ve been using diskpart in Windows to repair it for now. I put Lakka on a card in place of Retropie but I can’t work on it until Friday
I mean using it to repair the EXT4 filesystem without re-imaging the card.

I should say that corruption hasn't been that much of an issue for me either, mostly its happened due to sdcard actually being yanked out (usually because of stupid unnecessary push-to-eject mechanism on rpi1B+ and rpi2) rather than loss of power.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Out of curiosity: Why do so few/no single-board computers support Power over Ethernet natively? I know there is the PoE hat for RPi, but it enlarges the machine significantly.
Apart from a PoE jack having significantly larger footprint on the board, are there any practical reasons why native PoE support isn't a thing?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I don’t know, but the Pi 3 B+ does. It’s why some 3 B cases don’t fit the +, the chip is a different shape because of the POE bits.

Are there any cases that have a power switch built in that connects to the GPIO header and sends a shutdown command to the OS when it’s hit? That seems like a pretty useful feature given the concerns above.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

nielsm posted:

Out of curiosity: Why do so few/no single-board computers support Power over Ethernet natively? I know there is the PoE hat for RPi, but it enlarges the machine significantly.
Apart from a PoE jack having significantly larger footprint on the board, are there any practical reasons why native PoE support isn't a thing?
My guess is the regulator and ancillaries add non-trivial BoM and real estate requirements.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

nielsm posted:

Until recently PoE switches were pretty expensive, so it's an increase in cost and complexity for something very little of the target market is likely to have.

I definitely wish it was a more common option at least, but I can easily understand why it's not. PoE USB splitters aren't too expensive though so it's not too bad to bodge.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

nielsm posted:

It's a weird spec for maker gadgets. 48 volts is huge and requires some work to bring down to 5 and 12, etc.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

My guess is the regulator and ancillaries add non-trivial BoM and real estate requirements.

wolrah posted:

Until recently PoE switches were pretty expensive, so it's an increase in cost and complexity for something very little of the target market is likely to have.

mod sassinator posted:

It's a weird spec for maker gadgets. 48 volts is huge and requires some work to bring down to 5 and 12, etc.

All good arguments. I hope it can become more common, at least in some devices tailored less towards development and toy use.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

pairofdimes posted:

Regarding the randomly corrupting SD cards, I saw a video from a Linux conference where the speaker mentions finding a bug in the generic SD infrastructure where probes to detect if the card was present could occur during a read or write and corrupt it. That would explain why the corruption seemed really random since it actually was.

This is the video, it should start at the relevant time (30:43): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0milqmt4ao&t=1843s
Is this polling corruption thing confirmed/still an issue on RPis?

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

peepsalot posted:

Is this polling corruption thing confirmed/still an issue on RPis?

I don't know, he doesn't mention how exactly they fixed it but hopefully they upstreamed their changes. Maybe someone else knows how to find out.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Has anyone else noticed their iPazzPort symbol keys not working right? Off the top of my head, backslash is @, pipe is ~, and I know there's something that makes # instead of what it's supposed to be. Tilde makes the not equals logical symbol. Makes any sort of terminal work a real pain in the rear end.

Also sometimes the touchpad freaks out. Not sure why. It will run all over the place and start left-clicking at random.

ickna
May 19, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Has anyone else noticed their iPazzPort symbol keys not working right? Off the top of my head, backslash is @, pipe is ~, and I know there's something that makes # instead of what it's supposed to be. Tilde makes the not equals logical symbol. Makes any sort of terminal work a real pain in the rear end.

Also sometimes the touchpad freaks out. Not sure why. It will run all over the place and start left-clicking at random.

Check what keyboard language you have set with raspi-config. I think it defaults to GB instead of US.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ah. That would make sense given they are British. Weird that setting the country code to enable WiFi wouldn’t change the layout.

Does Pihole reliably start up again on reboot? Last time it did, which I wasn’t expecting. I was about to write a Bash script to run on boot to do that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Err, why would this happen on a RPi3 B+?

code:
[22:10:29] openhabian@openHABianPi:~$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:         117840 kB
Before the reboot, it was just 256MB, too. Now it's half?

--edit:
Ran rpi-update, now it sees the full 1GB.

--edit2:
Regardless of that, the RPi 3 B+ sure seems to run hot on idle. That can't be good for the SD card?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 6, 2018

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
I'm interested in using my 3 B+ as a pi-hole. The twists are that my internet connection is via an android mobile hotspot and doesn't involve a router of any sort, and that I don't know anything about routers or networks etc.

Can I buy a wireless router that: gets its internet connection from a USB (or wirelessly) connected cell phone, serves this internet connection to the computers and other devices in my house, and connects to my PI for the pi-hole DNS lookups?

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Newf posted:

I'm interested in using my 3 B+ as a pi-hole. The twists are that my internet connection is via an android mobile hotspot and doesn't involve a router of any sort, and that I don't know anything about routers or networks etc.

Can I buy a wireless router that: gets its internet connection from a USB (or wirelessly) connected cell phone, serves this internet connection to the computers and other devices in my house, and connects to my PI for the pi-hole DNS lookups?

if you're current hotspot uses a SIM then, yes, plenty of routers that support connnecting using a 3/4G network.

I've used some of these to give customers emergency internet when their main service is down:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/list-4691.html

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Ah. That would make sense given they are British. Weird that setting the country code to enable WiFi wouldn’t change the layout.

Does Pihole reliably start up again on reboot? Last time it did, which I wasn’t expecting. I was about to write a Bash script to run on boot to do that.

Pihole has started after a reboot every single time for me, have used it for ~3 years. Why wouldn't it?

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Pi-hole has booted without fail except on two occasions: A corrupt SD card, and no disk space left.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dead Goon posted:

Pihole has started after a reboot every single time for me, have used it for ~3 years. Why wouldn't it?

I just don’t expect stuff on a device this barebones to automatically set itself to run on startup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just don’t expect stuff on a device this barebones to automatically set itself to run on startup.

Thats...not the way computers work.