Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Saturday morning, coffee, strawberry-rhubarb pie and a new Project Binky.

:smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno posted:

Does anyone know what utility compliance is supposed to mean>? It's a factor listed on one of the houses we toured but nobody seems to be able to tell us what the heck it means and Google doesn't have anything on the subject related to home ownership.

Turns out Utility Compliance means the house complies with all utility regulations. Who'd a thunk it. So even though it doesn't have natural gas the electric furnace meets code.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Here I was thinking I was Mr. diagnostic master with lifting out the gear shift lever and going
:smug: "heh just a battered alignment pin no sweat, wonder what this extra red-looking material is? heh probably something the idiot previous owners did" :smug:

Only to get the replacement pin but the lever is still sloppy. Look into it more and there is a whole seat seal that's supposed to press the shifter into the alignment bolt to prevent flop, and the red-looking material was the old seal in disintegrated state. Not a big deal in amount of work I've done or anything but I could have saved about two weeks of time if I had put in even a little bit more effort and gotten both parts at the same time.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Random question, but I saw a lady getting in to her Bentley Continental GT the other day and it had some crazy looking custom wheels on it. Didn't get an up close view but they were multi-spoke with a wide center piece and an asymmetrical notch cut into them.

Something like this :

Except the spokes were longer and it had more angles to the design. Any idea what they would be?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Stupid

:haw:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Welp gently caress America I guess.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rhyno posted:

Welp gently caress America I guess.

Your government stopped pretending to care a long time ago. Coffins have a lot of nails, this won't be the last one.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Our government has been doing dumb and scary poo poo for decades, nothing new to see here.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

cakesmith handyman posted:

Your government stopped pretending to care a long time ago. Coffins have a lot of nails, this won't be the last one.

Going to have to start pulling up old ones to make room for more pretty soon though.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
So for the two or three of y'all not in the Facebook group, the Corvette museum is installing electric charging stations. I'll grab some pics later and share. Just makes me wonder, new fully electric 'Vette or Camaro? Maybe a mass-produced fully electric car?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
GM would need to masd produce more than the bolt and lol at that happening soon. Sales are in the shitter already.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Anyone know of some sprayable coating that would work for shift paddles?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Woof Blitzer posted:

Anyone know of some sprayable coating that would work for shift paddles?
To do what, make them grippier? Plastidip or bedliner, probably.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Just use grippy tape instead?

The Supreme Court stuff isn't a surprise, but that doesn't make it less sad.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Gotta maintain the supreme Court tradition going of having extremely bad legal decisions

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

incels interlinked posted:

Random question, but I saw a lady getting in to her Bentley Continental GT the other day and it had some crazy looking custom wheels on it. Didn't get an up close view but they were multi-spoke with a wide center piece and an asymmetrical notch cut into them.

Something like this :

Except the spokes were longer and it had more angles to the design. Any idea what they would be?

I hate to be like the worst amazon reviews where they say “ I don’t know or I didn’t buy this” but even in my small town there are a few continental gts and they are just on factory alloys. I would imagine those wheels are some crazy expensive upsell from some dealer. They don’t look like anything out of the ordinary except maybe a deep offset. I had 15x10 progressive hammers back in the day that looked similar

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Shotgun blasts echoing across the lake at 7 a.m. on a Sunday :waycool:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
They definitely were not factory wheels. I checked the usual blinged out wheel company websites with no luck, your comment led me to check ebay too but nothing there either.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Dagen H posted:

Shotgun blasts echoing across the lake at 7 a.m. on a Sunday :waycool:

ohiobeforehuntingseason.jpg

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Came back from my holidays to about 300 emails waiting for me on my work outlook (which got dumped to my cell as soon as I turned it back on). Quick glimpse, saw an email from my fleet management company for our company vehicles that my new 2019 Silverado is on order and in production! Great news! And then I see the fine specifics, Silverado LD which is the carry-over gen instead of the new 2019 :saddowns:
Oh well, at least if the new ones have a bunch of teething pains I should be spared them.

Also, was in Monte Carlo for a little bit on my holiday, spent some time walking around the hotel in the AM and saw this bizarro watch in the display window of the hotel jewlery store. Took a pic because I have never seen a watch with a face like that. Didn't recognize the brand either.

Well, did some research
https://www.ulysse-nardin.com/product/marine-grand-deck-6302-300-gd

I guess it would work well with all the Bugattis I saw in the municipality while I was there.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

neat watch. How nice it much be to be so rich that you can buy an expensive rear end watch that you can't read what loving time is displayed. :allears:

I'm too lowbrow for this, obviously.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

neat watch. How nice it much be to be so rich that you can buy an expensive rear end watch that you can't read what loving time is displayed. :allears:

What, it's clearly....9:60?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Fo3 posted:

In short, Australia had universal health care but they don't want anyone to use it, and ambulance or dental has never been included. E: I just remembered, pensioners get free ambulance rides, so if in WA, ferremit's partners 90yo grandfather would have got the same treatment, but ferremit himself would have paid $1000 for the ambo if it happened to them.

We pay NZ$98 for St Johns for a medical emergency (say a heart attack), or nothing if the trip is the result of an accident (car crash, fall down steps and break your ankle) and covered by ACC. Only leaps up to $800 if you're uneligible for subsidy eg tourist having a heart attack. Your treatment at the public hospital is of course completely free as well in either case. Oh and the accident coverage also extends to tourists here on holiday too. Crash your rental car driving drunk on the wrong side of the road while on your way to bungy jump in Hobbiton and your treatment will be covered until you're stable enough to be repatriated (on your own dime).

And our UFB is way better than NBN.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Suburban Dad posted:

I very, very occasionally like a given watch design, but I loving hate pretty much everything surrounding watches. It's the equivalent of all the worst aspects of other form over function 'scene' nonsense like ricers, yet hides behind the idea that it's highbrow and classy. Loads of watches are simply hugely expensive and just loving ugly, I've yet to see a single Patek Phillipe I'd have over an Omega Speedmaster Professional. Or a Casio F-91, for that matter.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Watch is lovely exercise in ridiculous just because you can. Did they emulate a sundial?
Quite elegant! (quite useless for chronology purposes obviously)
KInd of get the feeling TIME at this price comes with assistants, valets, handlers, retinues.
Someone that wants to help me will really know what time it is. Like the lady carrying my diamond crusted Iphone.

in other news:
https://www.cnn.com/specials/sport/rally-team

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Barcades are excellent. Got a bit drunk and played an original AFTERBURNER last night. I need to make it out there more often.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

BuckyDoneGun posted:

We pay NZ$98 for St Johns for a medical emergency (say a heart attack), or nothing if the trip is the result of an accident (car crash, fall down steps and break your ankle) and covered by ACC. Only leaps up to $800 if you're uneligible for subsidy eg tourist having a heart attack. Your treatment at the public hospital is of course completely free as well in either case. Oh and the accident coverage also extends to tourists here on holiday too. Crash your rental car driving drunk on the wrong side of the road while on your way to bungy jump in Hobbiton and your treatment will be covered until you're stable enough to be repatriated (on your own dime).

And our UFB is way better than NBN.

Yeah but you have no mines or real industry, so step off son.
Seriously though, I recommend almost everything else better in NZ so maybe NA goons should go there. Want a car your country never sold? Move to NZ and import it. What to drink to the trumpocalyse? Move to NZ and start your own legal still.
Hows your version of 'centrelink'? I keep getting forms to fill needing a witness statement to prove I'm single. Because once I wasn't you see.
I was born single, am single, will die alone etc but every year I have to keep finding someone I don't know to fill the form as a 'witness' to my failing, because I years ago I told centrelink for a certain period that I was in a relationship.
It's literally 'in the past you were in a relationship, get someone* to sign a declaration you no longer are'. It's embarrassing and stupid as I'm not applying for anything new, this request just comes to me every year. Makes me depressed as it's a good reminder I've lost everything and having to deal with those fuckers week to week is hard enough without these mail out forms to prove I suck.
*a non family member

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 7, 2018

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

InitialDave posted:

I very, very occasionally like a given watch design, but I loving hate pretty much everything surrounding watches. It's the equivalent of all the worst aspects of other form over function 'scene' nonsense like ricers, yet hides behind the idea that it's highbrow and classy. Loads of watches are simply hugely expensive and just loving ugly, I've yet to see a single Patek Phillipe I'd have over an Omega Speedmaster Professional. Or a Casio F-91, for that matter.

I am the same way. I also can't stand how mechanical movement on even expensive watches drives drift. My wife inherited a $5$-figure Rolex and the god drat thing goes out something like 6 minutes every few weeks so now it is relegated to her jewelry box and never gets worn. Instead she wears the Citizen I bought her at Costco for Christmas a couple years ago.

I am a watch wearer as an appliance and a few years ago finally needed a new one. I liked the idea of an atomic-synch watch and citizen eco-drive, so I looked for something that wasn't super expensive or terribly pretentious with more dials than an airplane cockpit.

I ended up with this after looking for a long time. Still has a bit more on it than I would like, but in the flesh looks simple, not overly gawdy and never have to touch the god drat thing and is dead-nuts accurate.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

slidebite posted:

Came back from my holidays to about 300 emails waiting for me on my work outlook (which got dumped to my cell as soon as I turned it back on). Quick glimpse, saw an email from my fleet management company for our company vehicles that my new 2019 Silverado is on order and in production! Great news! And then I see the fine specifics, Silverado LD which is the carry-over gen instead of the new 2019 :saddowns:
Oh well, at least if the new ones have a bunch of teething pains I should be spared them.

Also, was in Monte Carlo for a little bit on my holiday, spent some time walking around the hotel in the AM and saw this bizarro watch in the display window of the hotel jewlery store. Took a pic because I have never seen a watch with a face like that. Didn't recognize the brand either.

Well, did some research
https://www.ulysse-nardin.com/product/marine-grand-deck-6302-300-gd

I guess it would work well with all the Bugattis I saw in the municipality while I was there.

That's actually pretty neat, ordered one thanks! :cheers:

No but my much-loved and very beaten Citizen popped a wrist link a couple months ago. I hated every watch I ever had until that one, eco-drive is the poo poo.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Jesus. We went to a wedding yesterday and were talking to a woman there who also recently had a child. She hired a full-time nanny and a pediatric nurse (two people, not one person with cray qualifications) to watch the kid for the first few months while she went back to work, and she is building a guest house on their property for the nanny. Guess that takes some of the stress and sleep deprivation out of child-rearing, huh?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

slidebite posted:

I am the same way. I also can't stand how mechanical movement on even expensive watches drives drift.
I like the mechanical aspect of watches, I have an "Alpha" brand one which is a Chinese movement in something that sort of looks like a Rolex Daytona, with a clear back on it so I can look at the gubbins doing their thing, it wasn't expensive and I thought it was just fun to have. Right now I'm wearing a Casio DBC-32 which I bought in Japan because it was much cheaper than the UK, and I just thought "oh, cool, a more modern calculator watch". It was at the same time I was buying a CA-53, again, which was cheap, and that is because it's almost identical to the Marty McFly CA-50 without costing hundreds.

I would get myself the aforementioned Speedmaster if I had the spare money, largely because I think the whole Apollo thing is cool, but that's certainly the top end of what I'd ever spend on a watch.

I don't normally wear one anyway, as I can't on the shop floor at work, so would constantly need to take it off, and I don't need one most of the time. I've been wearing one while on holiday as I found it more convenient, but I'll probably go back to doing without now I'm home.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

One of the things I liked about having a cell phone for the first time was not having to wear a loving watch to tell the time because i can't stand wearing one. Watches are mostly jewelry at this point, there is no need for them anymore.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Jesus. We went to a wedding yesterday and were talking to a woman there who also recently had a child. She hired a full-time nanny and a pediatric nurse (two people, not one person with cray qualifications) to watch the kid for the first few months while she went back to work, and she is building a guest house on their property for the nanny. Guess that takes some of the stress and sleep deprivation out of child-rearing, huh?

No stress of building a bond with your child either I suppose. Why even bother having kids.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I don’t wear a watch but if I had $90,000 to blow on a watch...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I went off watches for years then got a cheap knock-off fitbit and apparently all I use it for is telling the time. May pick up a Casio F91, they do an orange one that matches the trim inside my panda :yayclod:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Applebees Appetizer posted:

No stress of building a bond with your child either I suppose. Why even bother having kids.
Yeah, tell me about it. Raising an insanely rich kid with little parental involvement -- what could go wrong? On the other hand, while she got a lot of flack for going back to work quickly after giving birth, her husband appeared to get a pass on doing the same thing, which is BS too.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Also an eco-drive wearer

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Yeah, tell me about it. Raising an insanely rich kid with little parental involvement -- what could go wrong?
Hopefully you get a Batman rather than an Iron Fist.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

InitialDave posted:

Hopefully you get a Batman rather than an Iron Fist.
I guess in neither scenario do you want to be the parents. Hell, other than Superman if you count adoptive parents, it seems like superheroes' parents in general aren't in great shape.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ilkhan posted:

GM would need to masd produce more than the bolt and lol at that happening soon. Sales are in the shitter already.

That's mostly because GM dealers don't want or know how to sell them, according to the Electrothread folks.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

AND most of the "being a mom," too.

Watch chat: I admire the work that goes into mechanical watches, as a machine, but a) I don't have $$ and wearing anything that cost more that a couple hundred on my wrist would make me paranoid, and b) I like all the functions a typical digital watch has, and used to actually use them (alarms, timers, etc.) before smart phones. Also, a cheap Casio will keep better time. Though, I always liked the Citizen Eco-Drive watches, and probably would have gotten one if I wasn't broke when I was still wearing them.
I didn't wear a watch for years after I got a smartphone, but finally broke down and got an Apple Watch (already in the Apple ecosystem with an iPhone - still considered a Fitbit Versa) whe Walmart dropped the price on the Watch Series 1 to $150. No regrets. It's handy. I saw some Android Wear ones that were round and did a good job of emulating Chronographs, but limited functionality with Apple (because, Apple) kept me away. Way Apple is going, though, I may jump ship.

On a different topic, saw this on someone's Twitter feed, and thought it awesome:
https://twitter.com/_youhadonejob1/status/1047481568388898816

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Darchangel posted:

That's mostly because GM dealers don't want or know how to sell them, according to the Electrothread folks.
The GM dealers were horrible when I was looking at them, CarMax and similar were a little better but still not great. Only decent place I found was a small independent dealership that specializes in electric, hybrid and diesel cars.

• Locked thread