Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah the loads were insane, I just read a book while I waited lmao. I would hope it's improved since then but I haven't played it since the first couple weeks after launch.

Should pop back in whenever I renew my PS+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

why is Final Fantasy 8 being erased from existence anyway?

like i know not literally, it's on steam or w/e, but it's strange they didn't port it to the Switch

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i think the steam version is still the old rear end pc port so theres no modern version to easily put on switch. also ff8 sucks

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The previously done work on it is harder to port. Even if they were willing to spend the money, it would take longer to be releasable.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah the Steam version is just the old PC port with bad music you need to mod to fix lmao

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

why is Final Fantasy 8 being erased from existence anyway?

like i know not literally, it's on steam or w/e, but it's strange they didn't port it to the Switch
FF9 had a ton of missing assets that eventually turned up or were re-created for the remake, IIRC. It's possible they just don't have much of their FF8 data left.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think they redid the sprites, and maybe? had the source files for the cinematics for IX. The backgrounds were mostly all lost tho and had to be upscaled so they don't look as slick. FF8 would prob require as much work or more, considering how Japanese gaming companies used to handle saving assets-- aka they would wipe poo poo to make room for the next game or just lose poo poo lmao

I'm amazed they were able to salvage any assets for IX, considering it was made mostly at the Hawaii office.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
the ff9 remaster looks worse than the 2d final fantasy phone ports. looking at it makes me QQ

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
anyway, im pretty sure ff9 was already made with high resolution textures and stuff cos when i emulated the ps1 version i could turn the detail up so high that i could practically read the terms and conditions on the tiny little play ticket vivi holds at the start of the game. which you definitely cant do on a ps1

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

anyway, im pretty sure ff9 was already made with high resolution textures and stuff cos when i emulated the ps1 version i could turn the detail up so high that i could practically read the terms and conditions on the tiny little play ticket vivi holds at the start of the game. which you definitely cant do on a ps1
There's some weird stuff when you emulate it, like the flames in the battles on stage at the beginning make the framerate drop because for whatever reason they're super resource-intensive, but it's also cool to see how insanely hi-res some of the textures on the disc are.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I hope they find the resources to recover lost assets, or at least redo them well for an 8 remaster. It'd be cool to one day see a 1-w/e greatest hits edition.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

There's some weird stuff when you emulate it, like the flames in the battles on stage at the beginning make the framerate drop because for whatever reason they're super resource-intensive, but it's also cool to see how insanely hi-res some of the textures on the disc are.

im no programmer but it seems to me like some of the slow down is probably hard coded into the game to stop it lagging on ps1. like steiners minus strike in the tantalus battle with blank that causes about 5000 oglops to appear

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Anyone else playing Record Keeper? This is my favorite Final Fantasy to be honest.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Anyone else playing Record Keeper? This is my favorite Final Fantasy to be honest.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

I said come in! posted:

Somebody kill this loving freak

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I said come in! posted:

I said get out!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I said come in! posted:

:eyepop:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

I said come in! posted:

drat, harsh burn on the entire final fantasy series and all its spinoffs

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

He just hasn't played the cell phone games in the Final Fantasy VII anthology.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

i think a bunch of the ff8 stuff is just straight up lost yeah

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Black August posted:

I hope they find the resources to recover lost assets, or at least redo them well for an 8 remaster. It'd be cool to one day see a 1-w/e greatest hits edition.

yeah, like i know it;s not the greatest final fantasy game or anything but i'd still like to be able to play it.

i've been playing the PS4 ff7 download and it seems pretty good. it seems like they stealth cleaned up some of the translation, like it says "This guy is sick" now and a few other minor things. being able to do 3x speed is awesome, it would really improve ff8.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Does anyone know where I can find the video of the people standing in line for the Final Fantasy movie going FINAL *clap clap* FANTASY. Thanks

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Does anyone know where I can find the video of the people standing in line for the Final Fantasy movie going FINAL *clap clap* FANTASY. Thanks

https://www.goatse.cx

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a cruel cruel world when goatse.cx is a crypto currency on boarding page

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

It's a cruel cruel world when goatse.cx is a crypto currency on boarding page

the internet's dyin', Cloud

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

I said come in! posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I checked it out yesterday it's honestly pretty cool lol. Don't think i'll get into it but I love that they actually preserved the boss mechanics from like 17 different titles and translated them all somehow to a phone game. I'd probably appreciate it more if I had any frame of reference for the million FFXIV raid bosses you fight but just being able to apply things like "don't attack the scorpion in the mako reactor while his tail is up" is sweet

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

goferchan posted:

I checked it out yesterday it's honestly pretty cool lol. Don't think i'll get into it but I love that they actually preserved the boss mechanics from like 17 different titles and translated them all somehow to a phone game. I'd probably appreciate it more if I had any frame of reference for the million FFXIV raid bosses you fight but just being able to apply things like "don't attack the scorpion in the mako reactor while his tail is up" is sweet

if a multi million dollar prize winning racehorse suddenly started saying stuff like this theyd euthanize it

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

if a multi million dollar prize winning racehorse suddenly started saying stuff like this theyd euthanize it

Lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I.N.R.I posted:

lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

Lmfao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I.N.R.I posted:

Lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Picture of me and Larry

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

I.N.R.I posted:

Lol

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

I.N.R.I posted:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

goferchan posted:

Picture of me and Larry

gently caress you.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-15-dlc-canceled-director-hajime-taba/1100-6463112/

All the DLC except the Ardyn one have been cancelled.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Came here to post this. This is weird but also, I hope they just make a FF16 asap instead of waiting another decade.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Episode Aranea was the only one I was looking forward to...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

In Training posted:

Episode Aranea was the only one I was looking forward to...

:same: tho Luna would have been interesting, too.

I hope this means Tabata is doing 16 tbh. I'd like to see him try his hand at a mainline title w/o it being him cleaning up someone else's mistakes and jury rigging a game together in a limited amount of time.

ofc any game he makes will end with everyone dying in the end or w/e but I'd still like to see what he might bring!!

e: o nvm just read the article and he left the company :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

yoko taro final fantasy when then ??