Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I don't regret selling mine tbh. The deluge continues to do everything I wanted the digitakt for and more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Next update adds the ability to make delicious julienne fries!

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone have any youtube recommendations for synth sound design tutorials that don't devolve into dubstep bullshit? I know synth sound design, but I like listening to people go through presets. A lot of the time, however, it's all about grungy, chopped up wobbles and stuff like that, and I'd love to hear some more stuff that's far away from that.

Dulcet tones. Not Skrillex electronic audio aneurysms. Anyone? Torley used to do Project Preset, but he hadn't touched that in a long time.

'once upon a synth' has some some fairly focused and informative tutorials https://www.youtube.com/user/n3bsvid/videos?shelf_id=1&view=0&sort=dd

Seems he's focused on the moog grandmother lately. His latest video about making vocal-ish sounds on the grandmother does get into some wonky sounds but that's not necessarily the objective, and based on the rest of his videos I've seen not the norm. Along with the tutorials he'll usually explain a bit about what's going on in his demo videos.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Please don’t finance any GAS purchase for terms longer than, like, four months max. The exception is maybe if you’re a classically trained keyboardist and you know you’ll get good use out of a $4k Nord or something like that.

Especially if it’s a piece of gear that you aren’t familiar with or experienced using in your workflow. It’s easy to fall in love with an instrument by reading a ton of forum posts and watching YouTube videos or spending half an hour dicking around in a Guitar Center. And then you get it home and decide you’re getting 20% as much fun and utility out of it as you imagined or the workflow doesn’t make any sense to you.

The last thing you want to do is owe 10 months’ worth of payments on something that sits in a gig bag and collects dust or that you’d be happier flipping on Craigslist, even if the payments themselves are relatively small and you’ve got all the money set aside/could easily pay it off immediately.

If your income stream or financial responsibilities change suddenly, and you’re in a place where every dollar counts, having a couple hundred tied up in a piece of hobby kit becomes a real pain in the rear end at best and an additional source of stress at worst.

Like any potentially horrible financial decision I slept on it and decided not to do that.

You're right and I also decided that I would rather just save up for a year or so and get a RTYM mark I outright instead. It looks so good :)

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Please don’t finance any GAS purchase for terms longer than, like, four months max. The exception is maybe if you’re a classically trained keyboardist and you know you’ll get good use out of a $4k Nord or something like that.

You think we have this bad, my sister is a concert violinist. Her violin cost more than her house I believe. It has financing terms longer than them as well. I guess the upside is it appreciates in value.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

toadee posted:

You think we have this bad, my sister is a concert violinist. Her violin cost more than her house I believe. It has financing terms longer than them as well. I guess the upside is it appreciates in value.

That’s a career purchase with an established financing structure that’s existed for a really long time. It’s not great and it really sucks for people like your sister that they have to do that, but on the upside if anything were to happen to her she has equity in the violin and, like you said, it’s an appreciating asset worth hundreds of thousands of dollars with its own insurance and appraisal record and all that jazz.

If you go bankrupt good luck trying to convince your lender that a spare bedroom containing $2k in half-paid off software drum machines and MIDI controllers is that kind of an investment.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That’s a career purchase with an established financing structure that’s existed for a really long time. It’s not great and it really sucks for people like your sister that they have to do that, but on the upside if anything were to happen to her she has equity in the violin and, like you said, it’s an appreciating asset worth hundreds of thousands of dollars with its own insurance and appraisal record and all that jazz.

If you go bankrupt good luck trying to convince your lender that a spare bedroom containing $2k in half-paid off software drum machines and MIDI controllers is that kind of an investment.

I'll have you know that my Volca Sample is made of the finest Cremonan maple.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

Plavski posted:

I don't regret selling mine tbh. The deluge continues to do everything I wanted the digitakt for and more.

I was looking at the deluge actually. The digitakt was in stock, 1/3 cheaper, and less bulky for my tiny NYC apartment, so I went with that. I like the ability to edit waveform on the unit as well - I have a lot of wav files with multiple sfx on them, so to be able to not have to chop them up prior and instead just plug and trim is very appealing.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

I was looking at the deluge actually. The digitakt was in stock, 1/3 cheaper, and less bulky for my tiny NYC apartment, so I went with that. I like the ability to edit waveform on the unit as well - I have a lot of wav files with multiple sfx on them, so to be able to not have to chop them up prior and instead just plug and trim is very appealing.

You can do that with the Deluge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqIraokbrYg

It's a lot smaller than you imagine too as it's about half as big again as the Digitakt, but a lot thinner. It's also battery powered so you can take it - or put it - anywhere.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

Plavski posted:

You can do that with the Deluge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqIraokbrYg

It's a lot smaller than you imagine too as it's about half as big again as the Digitakt, but a lot thinner. It's also battery powered so you can take it - or put it - anywhere.

Huh! Good to know. Maybe I’ll wind up upgrading in a year or two, but I’m excited for the time being.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
The only thing I financed for an extended amount of time was Ableton Live Suite, but that was the centerpiece of my workflow and with 0% financing, it was a reasonable option. Even though it worked out well, I don't think I would ever do it again, especially for a piece of hardware.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Huh! Good to know. Maybe I’ll wind up upgrading in a year or two, but I’m excited for the time being.

I don't want to disuade you from your excitement over the DT. I hope you'll gel with it a little better than I did. I loved it and loved using it as both a brain for my hardware, and as a self-contained groovebox. It's a very musical device - make sure you grab the Adventure Kid Single Cycle Waveforms kit to turn it into a subtractive synth too: https://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/waveforms/

Regarding financing, I have Ozone on Splice, but that's it. I don't even use it much as I'm all modular these days, but I've invested so much now that I don't want to stop paying for it. I couldn't finance hardware, just cos I go through so much of it.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have the unstoppable desire for a Keytar.

Am I doing this wrong?

What is a good recomendation?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

dexefiend posted:

I have the unstoppable desire for a Keytar.

Am I doing this wrong?

What is a good recomendation?

It's probably been superceded by cooler options, but I have black Roland AX-1 that's barely been used if you're interested.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Is the AX1 a synthesizer or just a controller?

My only keyboard is my Roland E70 I have had since Technotronic was Pumping Up the Jam.

I was looking at the newer Roland ones.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
It's just a controller.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I just bought my kids a Yamaha EZ-220.

That should get me back and playing while I save for an Ax-Edge or something.

I need to get my skills back after not playing for so long. I can play 2 handed just fine if it's songs that I have memorized, but reading sheet music two handed is hard! Also, need to remember all the scales.

Edit: it is actually for my kids. I do want try this gamification of pianos though!

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 5, 2018

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

Plavski posted:

I don't want to disuade you from your excitement over the DT. I hope you'll gel with it a little better than I did. I loved it and loved using it as both a brain for my hardware, and as a self-contained groovebox. It's a very musical device - make sure you grab the Adventure Kid Single Cycle Waveforms kit to turn it into a subtractive synth too: https://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/waveforms/

Regarding financing, I have Ozone on Splice, but that's it. I don't even use it much as I'm all modular these days, but I've invested so much now that I don't want to stop paying for it. I couldn't finance hardware, just cos I go through so much of it.

Awesome, thanks for the tip!

Speaking of missed opportunities for snagging used gear people no longer want, anyone in here trying to sell anything?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Speaking of missed opportunities for snagging used gear people no longer want, anyone in here trying to sell anything?

Yes! ;)

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

OooOooooo! (Thanks)

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

I'm looking to sell my Roland TR-8 (that I actually purchased from forums user dj bobby bieber). I really like it but over the last year, it has slowly phased out of my workflow and I would like to use that money for some other gear.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

MrSargent posted:

I'm looking to sell my Roland TR-8 (that I actually purchased from forums user dj bobby bieber). I really like it but over the last year, it has slowly phased out of my workflow and I would like to use that money for some other gear.

The gear carousel continues to turn.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm trying to get rid of my Rhythm Wolf.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

shits happening. incredibly slowly.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

shits happening. incredibly slowly.

edit for clarity:

this is a standalone desktop beta, no VST yet.

edit: THATS NOT EDIT lawl

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

incredibly slowly.
aww yeah thats my jam

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I need to stop reading this thread. I just came across the Deluge.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

toadee posted:

i think synths and guitars are the worst for this because they have gearslutz-like forums where you have a bunch of grognards flicking their cigarettes at u because you don't even own a basic moog, c'mon son

but i like to think that these hella expensive instrument folks have forums where starting a thread like "i paid off my violin" gets like 30 cheers and "aw man i still have 6 years to go" "wait 6 years you lucky bastards even if i sell my kidney it's going to 13 years"

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

dexefiend posted:

I need to stop reading this thread. I just came across the Deluge.

I am not going to help. I just bought a Deluge and I really do enjoy it. It is a lot of fun to just take and run it off the battery and built in speaker. It is pretty easy to get an idea out and treat it like a self-contained instrument. The down side to it is that there are some odd shortcuts that aren't too intuitive (like you hold shift and turn the left/right knob to change the velocity).

I have it set up to sequence my Korg Volcas (Keys, Bass, and Beats), Novation Ultranova, and Rhythm Wolf (got it for $50 on Craigslist!). The Deluge let me make a kit that combines the MIDI signals for the Volca Beats and Rhythm Wolf so I can sequence them as a big drum machine.

For folks who have sequencers, how does everyone plug everything in to sequence their synths? My Volcas all need MIDI DIN cables, my Ultranova isn't USB class compliant so I need a MIDI DIN cable for it, and the Rhythm Wolf can run off of USB or MIDI DIN. I found an old DMC MX-8 MIDI patch bay, but its only 6-in, 6-out. Also I set up a Raspberry Pi I had laying around as a MIDI USB host. Do people just plug things in and out as they go?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Rifter17 posted:

For folks who have sequencers, how does everyone plug everything in to sequence their synths? My Volcas all need MIDI DIN cables, my Ultranova isn't USB class compliant so I need a MIDI DIN cable for it, and the Rhythm Wolf can run off of USB or MIDI DIN. I found an old DMC MX-8 MIDI patch bay, but its only 6-in, 6-out. Also I set up a Raspberry Pi I had laying around as a MIDI USB host. Do people just plug things in and out as they go?

Where did you get an Ultranova that's not class compliant? Maybe I'm forgetting that I installed something, but I have no problems getting mine to talk to my laptop.

Back when I had more gear, I had an 8 in 8 out MIDI patch bay which seemed to meet my needs. I still would occasionally need to swap things out.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Yeah, the Ultranova requires drivers to function via USB. I actually did just find some drivers for Linux that I haven't messed around with yet (I just don't know enough about Linux and programming, so it's a little laborious to figure out). I hope they're midi drivers and not the audio interface stuff.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
MIDI over USB is proof that Satan is real and hates musicians.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Beatstep Pro goes into a 4-way MIDI splitter and sequences a drum machine and two monosynths, plus the Minilogue can still get MIDI clock from it. Fairly simple. I've toyed with the idea of hooking up a Keystep before the Minilogue to clock it off the Beatstep and get some better poly sequencing and arpeggiator capabilities out of it.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Here comes one of those really lovely gear requests where I want everything at once at low cost:

I'm looking at a way of doing synth live where im with a live drummer and layering up simple played loops and possibly playing keys over that so im loooking for multiple midi inputs (or 1 midi 1 usb) so I could have keys/foot pedals/triggers. So in that it would need to be poly and multi timbre.

I think the best options I've seen are:
- Sunvox or similar on a raspberry pi with some sort of step hardware sequencer box going into it,
- Having a bunch of synths into a hardware sequencer
- Using a guitar loop pedal?

I've had a poke around with cabbage audio/and supercollider and it seems like they could possibly do the trick if I have multiple code bases running, I didn't really get all that far into it but I think I'll have to delve deeper into supercollider.

Anyways any advice/insults/directions to look in would be much appreciated.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Here comes one of those really lovely gear requests where I want everything at once at low cost:

I'm looking at a way of doing synth live where im with a live drummer and layering up simple played loops and possibly playing keys over that so im loooking for multiple midi inputs (or 1 midi 1 usb) so I could have keys/foot pedals/triggers. So in that it would need to be poly and multi timbre.

- Sunvox or similar on a raspberry pi with some sort of step hardware sequencer box going into it,

I've had a poke around with cabbage audio/and supercollider and it seems like they could possibly do the trick if I have multiple code bases running, I didn't really get all that far into it but I think I'll have to delve deeper into supercollider.

If I’m understanding what you want correctly, a Prophet Rev 2 can do all that:
Has both regular MIDI ports and MIDI-over-USB and can send/receive over both simultaneously
Is bi-timbral with separate outs for both timbres
Has a built in per-timbre sequencer w/ tap-tempo or MIDI sync, and can be started and stopped by a foot pedal (or step advanced by the pedal too)

So if you wanted, you could just put it in split mode, tap your foot to start the sequencer for one side of the split, and play the keys for the other side of the split, and it will spit out MIDI clock through the ports on the back to whatever else you need.

edit: and if you're on a budget, you could pick up most any old used workstation synth from the late 90's/early 00's like a Roland XP-50/60/80, a Korg Triton/Trinity, Yamaha Motif, etc. to do the same.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 7, 2018

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Are you going to be recording the loops live and if so will it be a guitar or other synths? Will these loops be previously sampled and just played? Or will these loops just be looped midi sequences?

I haven't had much luck playing around with SunVox and getting to act like a multitimbral synth, also I can't get into the tracker sequencer part of it either. That said there is some dude on youtube who made a big console looking thing based on SunVox (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9WZxLQ42uY).

I have no experience with Cabbage Audio or Supercollider, but looking at them they're kind of similar to PureData. If I'm understanding them correctly so PureData might be worth checking out.

The hardest part of this whole thing is coming up with an interface that would work in a live situation. I broke down and bought a Synthstrom Deluge, but that's ~$900 US. Another alternative is the Novation Circuit, which is much cheaper (~$200 used, ~$350 new).

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Oldstench posted:

MIDI over USB is proof that Satan is real and hates musicians.

Yes, this.

I just found out that USB MIDI will just silently not work in windows if your MIDI registry key has more than 9 or 10 instances. I'm not sure if this is Korg specific (both my affected devices were Korg). But deleting all the values fixed it like magic.

Here's the fix:
"edit registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32 and remove all midi, midi1, midi2, etc entries, then uninstall and reinstall all drivers"

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
The desktop I was using for production just died.

Luckily I have 2 different backups (one image, and one file dumb) on two different drives.

Time to build a new computer and rebuild my studio.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Oldstench posted:

MIDI is proof that dave smith is real and hates musicians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

A LOVELY LAD posted:

For the live looping side, it's worth checking out free Mobius live looping software (http://www.circularlabs.com/). It emulates up to 8 synced EDP's with LoopIV software, and you can configure/script it like crazy. All you'd need is a Behringer FCB1010 and a USB midi port somewhere in your rig to be able to operate it hands free. It's audio based rather than a midi sequencer, but it gives you a very organic control over your looped sound.