Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Jodie Whitaker was incredible. And the companions were good.

The rest of it though?

Uhhh....

I didn't really like it that much. A bit too dour and like an episode of Broadchurch. Want some exciting science fiction adventures for the whole family? Well here's Bradley Walsh giving a eulogy and then telling the Doctor he has cancer

I also don't understand the montage of disposable British TV guest stars at the end as if it was a selling point, as if anyone who has ever watched Doctor Who has ever given a poo poo about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I thought that was loving amazing and I am very pleased and excited.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Jesus BBC America, you can let this run for more than 5 minutes before going to another commercial break.

I already bought the iTunes season package for this year, but wanted to be part of the global experience. Not doing that again, this poo poo is brutal.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Is dude tossing his takeaway at the menacing alien in an empty street at night the stupidest person who ever lived? He's gotta be a contender!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jerusalem posted:

Is dude tossing his takeaway at the menacing alien in an empty street at night the stupidest person who ever lived? He's gotta be a contender!

To be fair, he's also very drunk.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Plus he wasn't wrong about timing. Cmon, I've seen more expensive looking dinner suits!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Class3KillStorm posted:

Jesus BBC America, you can let this run for more than 5 minutes before going to another commercial break.

I already bought the iTunes season package for this year, but wanted to be part of the global experience. Not doing that again, this poo poo is brutal.

How does that even work? We have zero ad breaks over here of course so you'd have to be way behind the UK version by the end anyway.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wonder if this was meant to be broadcast in September so the 'Halloween's next month' line worked better?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The_Doctor posted:

The new theme music is just the 60s one with added stuff?

It seemed to be the original theme with someone tacking a drum machine track over it like a backbedroom 'disco mix' from the 1990s

The_Doctor posted:

Man, Grace’s death has left a really bad taste in my mouth. It felt very unnecessary, and they telegraphed it coming quite hard. I was hoping it was a misdirect, but no.

"Yes, your mum and your wife has just died. Still nevermind, I am sure no one will be sad by this time next week."

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

feedmegin posted:

How does that even work? We have zero ad breaks over here of course so you'd have to be way behind the UK version by the end anyway.

Very simply: the episode starts airing at the same time, but BBC America does 5 minutes of ads for every 10 minutes of episode.

I hate cable so much right now.

trouser_mouse
Apr 27, 2008

Well that was reet Northern. Hopefully the Doctor will fix the chameleon circuit so the TARDIS can look like a tin bath on wheels

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

spog posted:

"Yes, your mum and your wife has just died. Still nevermind, I am sure no one will be sad by this time next week."

*gran

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Episode thoughts:

:woop::woop::woop::woop::woop:

Also Grace... :smith:

Loving the new vibe.

Was there a credits sequence on the UK broadcast where we could hear the new theme?

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Nope.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Jodie Whitaker was incredible. And the companions were good.

The rest of it though?

Uhhh....

I didn't really like it that much. A bit too dour and like an episode of Broadchurch. Want some exciting science fiction adventures for the whole family? Well here's Bradley Walsh giving a eulogy and then telling the Doctor he has cancer

I also don't understand the montage of disposable British TV guest stars at the end as if it was a selling point, as if anyone who has ever watched Doctor Who has ever given a poo poo about them.

My thoughts exactly. Jodie was great although the "we have to evolve but respect what came before" speech was more on the nose than Capaldi's broom one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Doctor leaping to the crane, barely making it, then remembering her legs aren't as long as they were a few hours ago cracked me up.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I can't believe the series just ended after 1 episode. What a grim ending.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sure, BBC America, we didn't need any end titles.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Davros1 posted:

Sure, BBC America, we didn't need any end titles.

Seriously. I wait a year to hear the new theme and its like "gently caress you. Wait another week,"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I love how little of a poo poo they gave about her being a woman now. "oh yeah...does it suit me?"

Also her coat looks very comfy and I want one now.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

"It's been a long time since I've bought women's clothes."

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Taking a deep breath before teleporting into the vacuum of space, whoops...

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Not able to watch for a few hours, is there a clear new theme for the Doctor? Like “hello hello” is for 12” or “madman with a box” for 11?

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Man, Grace’s death has left a really bad taste in my mouth. It felt very unnecessary, and they telegraphed it coming quite hard. I was hoping it was a misdirect, but no.

I didn't see it coming at all. I was actually surprised.

I really liked it and got properly invested in the story from the start. A very different and refreshing tone. I felt like a real step up to me for the production and the writing. The villain was very generic (as a character if not as a design) but otherwise I thought everyone was strongly characterised from the start, even the bit parts. The Doctor was still The Doctor but the focus of the story really feels like it has shifted back to 'The Doctor as traveller' rather than 'The Doctor as the most important being ever'. Low key and effective.

I'm a bit sad to see the Capaldi outfit go though, it was actually a really good look for Whittaker. But then I'll probably have a clearer opinion on the new costume when we properly get to see it in action.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I seriously hope that the search isn't going to be the story arc for the season

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
I thought the new low-key direction was pretty good.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It was okay - cast was pretty good, though the script could have been a bit tighter in places - another draft to smooth out some of the clunkier bits of dialogue. And while it's nice there were some stakes with people being killed, killing the nan felt unneeded.

Liking where they're going with Whitaker - everything's all new and wonderful and vibrant and bouncy. Some good lines from her too.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Graces death? Didn’t think it was too harsh. Sets up Ryan’s budding relationship with his step grandfather. Bradley Walsh’s character came across as fairly competent after a start where you thought he was gonna be the Mickey of the group.

New music guy and sound levelling definitely on board with , not that I didn’t love a bit of Murray gold. Visuals I want to see more of. Can’t judge until we get the title sequence . Is that next ep or the one after?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The theme with a trailer for this season's guest stars:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1049019070576779264

Trailer for next week's ep:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1049009206454636544

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 7, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Pesky Splinter posted:

It was okay - cast was pretty good, though the script could have been a bit tighter in places - another draft to smooth out some of the clunkier bits of dialogue. And while it's nice there were some stakes with people being killed, killing the nan felt unneeded.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. 'Okay' was my rating.

quote:

Liking where they're going with Whitaker - everything's all new and wonderful and vibrant and bouncy. Some good lines from her too.

That gave me a lot more confidence. Both the actor and the character look they could be very good indeed.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Tim Shaw must’ve been really powerful because I chipped my tooth on garlic bread while watching. :smith:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i liked that it was shot professionally and didnt look like a cheapo kids tv show with every shot locked at mid distance

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

One possible spoiler:

When the companions announced, it was announced “Also joining the series in a returning role is Sharon D Clarke.” Grace might not be too dead

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Also pretty disappointed with Grace's death. Seemed extremely unnecessary. It's very tiresome. Ryan and Graham weren't taking her advice while she was alive but now that she's dead they will experience character growth!

But the rest of it was pretty okay. It definitely looked great, and Jodie Whittaker did a fantastic job.

Wondering about the continuity after this episode. It was pretty grim. Will they come back and go to the funerals of the train driver, the dude with the missing sister, the salad guy, or the nice grandpa? Will they find the planet and save all the people in stasis?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My thoughts on the episode will probably congeal into something more nuanced than YAAAAAAAAAAY eventually but for now, I thought that was wonderful.

As I mentioned earlier, I love the new sound. And I liked Murray Gold a lot, but I'm completely happy with the change.

The show looked completely like something new in every way possible.

The script was a bit shaky in spots but it got the job done, and a few awkward "OKAY THAT'S HOW WE GOT FROM POINT A TO POINT B" moments in service of not making the episode even longer are sometimes a necessary evil. (If I hadn't known, and you'd told me this was the same person who wrote Cyberwoman, I would have called you a flat-out liar.)

I actually didn't mind Grace's death, as much of a shame that it was. It wasn't a gratuitious murder, she went out a hero (though that's one of the bits that could have used more exposition, because I sure didn't notice any "Hey we have a plan to electrocute the data collection monster thingie" talk before they were doing it).

I'm looking forward to getting more in the heads of the new companions, so far Ryan's the most developed, but there's time for that. And Jodie Whittaker is, of course, phenomenal as the Doctor. A bit of Tennant in her portrayal (completely understandable when you figure how closely they've worked together in the past) and a bit of Smith too, but she feels like a distinct character.

Very much looking forward to more.

And goddamn that was a lot of commercials.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

apophenium posted:

Wondering about the continuity after this episode. It was pretty grim. Will they come back and go to the funerals of the train driver, the dude with the missing sister, the salad guy, or the nice grandpa? Will they find the planet and save all the people in stasis?

This is why I think they might undo some of the deaths of this episode. They are definitely going to revisit the tooth aliens and rescue the in-stasis trophy people. Its a little grim if they release the sister and then tell her "Oh yeah, your brother died because he was searching for you", so they find a way to save him. If they save him they might as well save grace too. And possibly drunk kebab guy, but frankly he brought his death on himself.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

docbeard posted:

And Jodie Whittaker is, of course, phenomenal as the Doctor. A bit of Tennant in her portrayal (completely understandable when you figure how closely they've worked together in the past) and a bit of Smith too, but she feels like a distinct character.

Yeah, Tennant-ish seems like a good way to describe her in this one. They seemed to drop the 'The Doctor doesn't know how to act around Earth-people at all' thing that Smith and Capaldi had a lot of. It would be a bit of a coincidence, and probably just due to the change in production and script direction, if the first woman Doctor ends up also being the first one in a while to have passable social skills and emotional adjustment though; like women can't be creepy stunted weirdos too. :v:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That was good. Doctor was Doctor-y. It looked and sounded great. Plot and villain were decent. The best ever Chris Chibnall episode by a fair margin.

Granny’s death was obvious the moment Bradley Walsh was revealed to be her loving husband, since we already know he’s a companion and she isn’t. And she died in a pretty stupid way, oh well.

It’s refreshingly not Moffat-y.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I love how little of a poo poo they gave about her being a woman now. "oh yeah...does it suit me?"

Also her coat looks very comfy and I want one now.

guess what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
A strong episode, though my enjoyment was definitely hindered by BBC America's presentation. 30+ minutes of ads and not even music at the end? Same bullshit as last season, they're so bad at this.