Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

Nami still needs a headband to go full Monkey King

I still want to see her ride Zeus at some point (she's already on the path to becoming a female Son Goku, might as well go all the way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Panic Restaurant posted:

One Piece Manga Thread: Toki Toki Panic
This is pretty baller, but I dunno if everyone is cool with it. What say you, thread?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I like it.

And while Franky will likely remain my favourite New World Straw Hat, Nami is climbing up the ranks fast. If she keeps stealing abilities then she could wind up being one of the most interesting combatants by the end of the series.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wark Say posted:

This is pretty baller, but I dunno if everyone is cool with it. What say you, thread?

It's good

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I like it.

And while Franky will likely remain my favourite New World Straw Hat, Nami is climbing up the ranks fast. If she keeps stealing abilities then she could wind up being one of the most interesting combatants by the end of the series.

Reading this made me realise how appropriate it is that the 'cat burglar' got her big powerup entirely through stealing it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Wark Say posted:

go for it

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Wark Say posted:

I approve

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Enjoy! Also remember wrt nakama: It's not about the translation, it's what it means to you. :)

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I wanted to make a serious post. I know one piece gets a lot of criticism for booby characters... but I really appreciate how a majority of the main cast is asexual.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Wark Say posted:

Enjoy! Also remember wrt nakama: It's not about the translation, it's what it means to you. :)

wise words!!!!

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

hell astro course posted:

I wanted to make a serious post. I know one piece gets a lot of criticism for booby characters... but I really appreciate how a majority of the main cast is asexual.

I think punting on nearly all the romance has worked out well for the characters and their simple but finely focused motivations. I'm fine with the chocolate of romance getting mixed with the peanut butter of action most of the time but this story is already built in a way that it's not a necessary element.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ya theres already a lot going on. romance means something else in this story

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
sanji is the only member that gets a love story. maybe luffy at some point

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Luffy and Meat is already the best love story.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Usopp and Chopper also got one-sided, minor romantic stuff going on, at least I always assumed was in love with Kaya.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Usopp knows a girl he likes, but his goals and motivations are distinct from his relationship with her. Chopper got to make googly eyes at a mink so that fans won't have to worry about him after the series ends.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mentioned that the thing with the minks is possibly as much that Chopper has a community that'll accept him that he can settle in after all is said and done.

Dressrosa and the Marine base seem to be the only New World islands so far actually under the World Government's jurisdiction, the rest being under Emperor domain or independent like Zou. The Minks all being incredibly strong would explain how they remained such for so long. (Jack is lucky it wasn't a full moon when he attacked)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

hell astro course posted:

Not really. As Oda explains in an SBS, even Luffy isn’t quite asexual. Sanji is a horndog, Usopp finds Nami and Vivi attractive (he just isn’t obsessive about it like Sanji) and probably loves Kaya, Franky is a self-proclaimed pervert who enjoyed watching Nami search Kalifa’s clothing, Nami is probably bi (she thinks Kalifa is kind of hot but is surprised that she feels that way), Chopper loves Milky, and Brook likes asking women if he can see their panties. That leaves, at most, Zoro, Robin, and Jimbe.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mentioned that the thing with the minks is possibly as much that Chopper has a community that'll accept him that he can settle in after all is said and done.

Dressrosa and the Marine base seem to be the only New World islands so far actually under the World Government's jurisdiction, the rest being under Emperor domain or independent like Zou. The Minks all being incredibly strong would explain how they remained such for so long. (Jack is lucky it wasn't a full moon when he attacked)

Not counting cover arcs, the only islands we've really seen are Punk Hazard, Dressrosa, Zou, Tottoland, and Wano. Even then, Dressrosa could have been considered a secret territory of Kaidou during Mingo's reign. I think the fact that Marine HQ, Enies Lobby, and Impel Down were on the Grand Line and not in the New World is probably evidence of their lack in control of the New World. Akainu wanted to make a statement by rebuilding HQ on the other side of the Red Line, but it remains to be seen if it's had any noticeable effect on the power balance between Marines and Emperors.

Silver2195 posted:

Not really. As Oda explains in an SBS, even Luffy isn’t quite asexual. Sanji is a horndog, Usopp finds Nami and Vivi attractive (he just isn’t obsessive about it like Sanji) and probably loves Kaya, Franky is a self-proclaimed pervert who enjoyed watching Nami search Kalifa’s clothing, Nami is probably bi (she thinks Kalifa is kind of hot but is surprised that she feels that way), Chopper loves Milky, and Brook likes asking women if he can see their panties. That leaves, at most, Zoro, Robin, and Jimbe.

I don't want to speak for the OP, but I think his point was more that the characters are more focused on their goals and journey than finding love. Luffy is definitely the most oblivious one given that Hancock couldn't turn him to stone, but there generally isn't much shown from each crew member in terms of attraction or even interest in someone else, romantically. I think it's to be expected that the adventure and fighting would be the main focus since Oda does publish this in a periodical aimed at young boys. Not to say there can't be romance between characters, but I think the Skypeia arc showed us what kind of romance Oda wanted to write about.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Thank God Oda doesn't have any major romances, especially within the crew. If it was like what seems to be most mangaka out there, it'd just be Luffy and probably Nami playing the "will they or won't they?" game until the final chapter where to the shock of nobody, they do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

One Piece has been pretty good about avoiding the major pitfalls of most shonen manga, and probably on purpose. One of those is really, really excruciating 'romances' that are both incredibly obvious even to children and incredibly stretched out and overwrought. (Probably because writers have no idea how to continue writing a couple once they've actually gotten together. Aside from DBZ, which is a sitcom) Basically, anime is melodrama except characters are somehow even more emotionally stunted, because Japan has issues. (Albiet not that far off our own)

The closest we've got is with Pudding and Sanji, which has actually been interesting if not really explored, since the whole deal is an arranged marriage murder that actually worked out better/worse than expected, long story short. Though we haven't seen exactly how Pudding has overall thought about it, I get the idea she probably needs to work out her own mountain of issues before she can have anything resembling a healthy relationship with anyone, and Sanji isn't exactly ready to settle down for multiple reasons. (I recall Pudding was a bit dismayed watching the way Sanji acts around Nami)

And funny thing is, Nami seems to mostly just shamelessly use her looks and charm to manipulate men and was raised by a single adoptive mother, she doesn't strike me as the type to think a husband is at all necessary for her.

Kinda makes me ponder Big Mom and how she's kind of a contrast comparison to various members of the Straw Hat crew in a few ways. Like Luffy, she's a charismatic (in her own way) and incredibly physically strong pirate captain who leads a loyal crew, and has a huge appetite and bombastic, childlike personality. Unlike Luffy, all of those things are played for horror, with her appetite getting out of control with no one ever telling her to try to control it, her woman-child personality being a result of upbringing under subtly and then overtly horrible parental figures, and do we even need to start on the issues with her having a zillion kids from at least 18 onwards? Definitely one of those cases where she has kids mostly so she has people dependent on her that she can easily control, taken to a horrifying extreme.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well, gotta save something for Commander Kong.

I love how Oda was all 'oh hey here's a guy higher up on the food chain than Sengoku, never mentioned him and never will again for another 200 chapters! Isn't that fun?'

Like what is his thing, it is a mystery

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Parrotine posted:

I love how Oda was all 'oh hey here's a guy higher up on the food chain than Sengoku, never mentioned him and never will again for another 200 chapters! Isn't that fun?'

garps dad

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I always forget Kong even exists. Which is odd considering he's kind of one of the most important characters within the World Government in terms of the power he can toss around.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

TheLoneStar posted:

I always forget Kong even exists. Which is odd considering he's kind of one of the most important characters within the World Government in terms of the power he can toss around.

if he doesn't have a gorilla DF im gonna be so pissed

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

U-DO Burger posted:

if he doesn't have a gorilla DF im gonna be so pissed

We don't have a name for primate-based devil fruits (besides humans, oddly enough) yet, right?

I bet it's Ape-Ape Fruit Model: King

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

People in One Piece only get married so they can tragically lose each other in what will later become a flashback. Once you tie the knot, you're basically on borrowed time.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l-Xc3TQd8o

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Are those donuts made out of celery? :psyduck:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Now this is why they got Bro Sugita to voice Katakuri.
  • It's not the deadpan
  • It's not that he can do the scary baritone voice like you and I can go bankrupt through G.A.S.
  • It's not even the fact that, even after it's been over a decade that he got popular and that he has retained a ton of his popularity...
It's the fact that, after all these years, the silly voices don't stop. Shine on, you crazy Saitama guy.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

QuasiQuack posted:

Are those donuts made out of celery? :psyduck:

to hold their shape that large they would have to be baked to have a slightly crunchy exterior.

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

Parrotine posted:

I would have to assume that Kong's role is just as an agent of Im. He was just another Fleet Admiral before becoming Commander, so I think he was just promoted ahead of Sengoku, likely to make room for Sengoku to be more fleshed out in the story (as a result of his departure from the Fleet Admiral position) It is clear that the true power in the WG lies not with the public face, but with Im and the Gorosei. Kong is in charge of dealing with personnel and certain troop movements, like Buster Calls, but I'm sure he gets the majority of his orders from those 6 people. Whenever he shows up, if he ever does for more than a few panels, it will likely be as their underling.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We don't have a name for primate-based devil fruits (besides humans, oddly enough) yet, right?

I bet it's Ape-Ape Fruit Model: King

Ape-Ape Fruit Model: Donkey

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

JfishPirate posted:

I would have to assume that Kong's role is just as an agent of Im. He was just another Fleet Admiral before becoming Commander, so I think he was just promoted ahead of Sengoku, likely to make room for Sengoku to be more fleshed out in the story (as a result of his departure from the Fleet Admiral position) It is clear that the true power in the WG lies not with the public face, but with Im and the Gorosei. Kong is in charge of dealing with personnel and certain troop movements, like Buster Calls, but I'm sure he gets the majority of his orders from those 6 people. Whenever he shows up, if he ever does for more than a few panels, it will likely be as their underling.

The Marines have followed a pretty clear rule for the most part of promoting the most powerful people (Though I get the feeling that they also likely save the best Devil Fruits they have for high-ranking Marines) and Kong is probably the main person relaying orders from the highest authorities and grand strategy. Hard to say, though. Most of the most powerful people in the One Piece world are those who've remained active to some level.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Wow a scene that the anime didn’t entirely ruin

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I know! They actually did a wonderful job with the entire reveal and Katakuri's anger afterwards

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013

There is a clear image of Snack in the new OP opening.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

So I've just caught back up and, Carrot's still not an official crew member yet?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Wow a scene that the anime didn’t entirely ruin

It's still a bit too drawn out, per anime adaptation law but good overall because of the voice acting. I give it a 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Xarbala posted:

So I've just caught back up and, Carrot's still not an official crew member yet?

Better get used to it friend because Carrot is a boring character and will never join the crew.