Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lunatic Sledge posted:

he said he was given permission, Ryan (I think it was Ryan?) just assumed the permission was via the Dr. Strange button

the Dr. Strange button might be totally unrelated, and the source of the permission could be a bigger mystery for later

or not, I dunno it just sounds like a very Doctor Who way of having a mystery the audience doesn't realize is a mystery until it is

Yeah, I picked up on that too. Though I think it works even if they don't come back to it, if this really is a leadership initiation rite, getting some human to agree to let you hunt on Earth is probably part of it. (And as Tim's a big ol' cheater, showing a 'primitive' some glowing lights til one of them is curious enough to touch them and calling it permission completely fits with his M.O.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
When you think about it, if you are a 7 foot tall, armour-plated alien warrior, killing an unarmed and unprepared human isn't a particularly challenging way of proving what a great soldier you are.

It's like proving what a macho dentist you are by shooting an old and sick lion with a rifle.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

I was hoping they'd be a bit more out there with it. But, eh. It might feel better with the title visuals.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So nice to have sound design that didn't have the subtlety of a steam roller. Also liked that the Doctor was still the Doctor, ongoing regeneration and all.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I like the new theme except that the middle 8 starts a measure too early and its really jarring.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

A seemingly mechanical killer that steals the teeth of its victims...wait a minute...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love how she brags about having made the Sonic out of Sheffield Steel, but doesn't mention the steel itself came from some spoons she melted down in a bin :3:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I dig this. I particularly like the way it starts out as basically the classic theme and gets progressively more alien and disjointed.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

spog posted:

When you think about it, if you are a 7 foot tall, armour-plated alien warrior, killing an unarmed and unprepared human isn't a particularly challenging way of proving what a great soldier you are.

It's like proving what a macho dentist you are by shooting an old and sick lion with a rifle.

The other blue people have never been to Earth and don't know that :ssh:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I love how she brags about having made the Sonic out of Sheffield Steel, but doesn't mention the steel itself came from some spoons she melted down in a bin :3:

I was hoping for some kind of Sonic Spoon-driver pun, but that would be a bit on the nose. Still, really enjoyed this one. I didn’t have any worries going into this and I’m glad to see, as usual, all the screeching haters were absolutely wrong.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Owns.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

spog posted:

I liked how they handled the Doctor being a woman.

I.e. The Doctor happens to be a woman but is still the Doctor.

I feel that if Moffat had written it, he would have handled it with his usual hamfistedness with the point being brought up every 10 mins with a mug to the camera and a crap joke.

Yeah, it was surprisingly low key compared to the promotional stuff.

Fantastic episode! Jodie nails it as the Doctor--I had zero problem believing she was the same person, and she was as many said, very Tennantish. The cinematography and direction were amazing--really like a movie. But despite that, it was very recognizably Doctor Who and not different for the sake of it.

New theme is very cool--reminds me of the 80s themes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Nthing the praise that the only mentions of the Doctor's gender were pretty reasonable in context, and everything else was kept to the same type of "I have new limbs and organs" stuff that we've gotten with every other modern regeneration.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Not digging it. But then Murray Gold's work in his early episodes was pretty poor so I'll give the new guy time.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

oh also those opaque goggles 13 was wearing when she was doing the mad scientist thing need to make a comeback

I mean, the mad scientist tinkering together a sonic screwdriver/teleporter/in general needs to keep happening but those goggles need to be part of it

goggles are cool

Reminded me a bit of the 90s-era James Robinson run of Starman where he wore a leather jacket and trench goggles. It was a great look.

The speech about being the Doctor and acknowledging what came before but forging her own path was pretty awesome, too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I think I hate this. It sounds like someone playing a drum track over the Davison theme in a completely different time signature.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Just finished watching the episode and all I can say is, if the rest of the season is that same level of quality, then bring it on. :woop:

Jodie Whittaker is great and she was the Doctor straight out of the gate as far as I'm concerned. I liked the new companions, I liked that the episode didn't have universe-shattering stakes, I liked that it looked and felt like an actual drama and didn't have MUUUUURAYYYY GOOOOLLLLDD bombast all over the soundtrack. No Moffat smugging it up all over the place! Just wonderful overall. :cheers:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
"It's been awhile since I bought women's clothes."

Well I figure we can guess around when that was.

ShortLeroy
Oct 5, 2011

spog posted:

To be fair its a hunt not a fight. He had to find one specific human on earth.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ShortLeroy posted:

To be fair its a hunt not a fight. He had to find one specific human on earth.

And wasn't he supposed to take his target alive?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Davros1 posted:

The theme with a trailer for this season's guest stars:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1049019070576779264

The last name revealed made me yell.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I never find first Doctor episodes that great, but this is probably only second to the first Matt Smith one. I loved the montage of her making the Sonic, especially the cut between her holding the tiny blow torch and then it showing her with the giant one.

So, this is honestly the first time I've seen anything set in Sheffield. Like I honestly cannot remember it ever being in a movie or a show or whatnot. I've seen Norwich more than that. Isn't Depeche Mode from there?

Whoa, Chris Noth is going to be in this season? That's really cool.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
"Hullo, I just crashed through the ceiling and am apparently female? Also, you're all in terrible danger."

Jodie took about five seconds to settle into the role :allears:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

spog posted:

Are you kidding? Imagine trying to keep on galactic news and finding out that apparently the Daleks have tried and failed *repeatedly* to gently caress up Earth. Don't underestimate those things down on that planet, they've got to be formidable if the worst things in existence keep throwing themselves at that planet and keep losing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

So, this is honestly the first time I've seen anything set in Sheffield. Like I honestly cannot remember it ever being in a movie or a show or whatnot. I've seen Norwich more than that. Isn't Depeche Mode from there?

Watch The Full Monty. Beyond the gimmick that made it so popular, it's a genuinely great film.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
One thing: Thirteen said she had family but they're gone. What happened to Susan :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

One thing: Thirteen said she had family but they're gone. What happened to Susan :ohdear:

She's living happily and peacefully on Earth in a now defunct timeline! :colbert:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i thought whittaker was really natural as the doctor, for me it was my favourite introductory episode of the revival series'. matt smiths was great, but a little bit too twee and it had some of that cringy moffat quality to it. tennant was a bit too wacky, as was the killer christmas tree. Whittaker was pretty wacky, but i wasn't cringing. it felt less forced and more believable.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i thought whittaker was really natural as the doctor, for me it was my favourite introductory episode of the revival series'. matt smiths was great, but a little bit too twee and it had some of that cringy moffat quality to it. tennant was a bit too wacky, as was the killer christmas tree. Whittaker was pretty wacky, but i wasn't cringing. it felt less forced and more believable.

for me, The Eleventh Hour was so good that it's kind of tainted every other intro episode

that said this was very good, Jodie was great, Yaz and Graham are awesome, I am looking forward to this season

Maxwell Lord posted:

I like that we got a full episode of Jodie in the 12th Doctor's clothes because, as good as the new outfit is, she was pulling that off.

yeah I honestly loved her in Capaldi's magician outfit, but I guess we gotta have a new look

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 8, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pilot would be up there as a great introduction episode to Capaldi's Doctor if it wasn't, you know, 3 seasons into his run!

My favorite is still Eleventh Hour but this episode is right up there with it, and I really dig how both seem to be setting the tone for the showrunners' (presumed) style. Moffat's was a fairytale and Chibnall's at the moment feels like it is meant to be a bit more grounded... as grounded as a show like Doctor Who can be, anyway.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
This whole thing feels like it's going to be the Hunt for the TARDIS most of the season and I sincerely hope each place they teleport to becomes increasingly more contrived and ridiculous.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

This whole thing feels like it's going to be the Hunt for the TARDIS most of the season and I sincerely hope each place they teleport to becomes increasingly more contrived and ridiculous.

Trapped in the past, The Doctor finds herself leaping from life to life, putting things right that once went wrong and hoping each time that her next leap will be the leap home.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AndyElusive posted:

Trapped in the past, The Doctor finds herself leaping from life to life, putting things right that once went wrong and hoping each time that her next leap will be the leap home.

The Doctor never made it h—

*checks previous regeneration*

oh

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

So my mom is staying with me for the next few months, and her interest was piqued by some of The Who episodes I’ve been watching in prep for today, and I want to show her some of the greatest hits from NuWho. She is going to be more interested in the emotionally impactful episodes more than the timey-wimey and sci-fi stuff.

What are my good go to eps with that in mind? Also, she’s not going to have a lot of patience with lots of backstory at first, apart from “this is the Doctor, this is his companion, this is what they do and why they do it.”

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I thought it was impressive that she tried to explain what regenerating felt like, even if it was to companions who still needed way more background before even having that conversation. Not some "gazing off into the distance speaking of incomprehensible things" explanation, but a "this is a big life event and I'm still getting my head around it" explanation that's enough for Now and not Later. It's stuck with me because it seems odd that it's taken this many doctors to arrive at such a description.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Lunatic Sledge posted:

oh also those opaque goggles 13 was wearing when she was doing the mad scientist thing need to make a comeback

I mean, the mad scientist tinkering together a sonic screwdriver/teleporter/in general needs to keep happening but those goggles need to be part of it

goggles are cool

I THINK I saw eleven with them in The Doctors Wife at the end.
Can someone confirm?
If not they were very similar.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

navyjack posted:

So my mom is staying with me for the next few months, and her interest was piqued by some of The Who episodes I’ve been watching in prep for today, and I want to show her some of the greatest hits from NuWho. She is going to be more interested in the emotionally impactful episodes more than the timey-wimey and sci-fi stuff.

What are my good go to eps with that in mind? Also, she’s not going to have a lot of patience with lots of backstory at first, apart from “this is the Doctor, this is his companion, this is what they do and why they do it.”

I'd personally recommend:

Father's Day - Rose's attempts to find closure/acceptance of her father's death.
School Reunion - An old companion being unexpectedly reunited with the Doctor and how they both deal with the gulf of time hanging between them and their last encounter.
The Girl in the Fireplace - The Doctor's impact over the course of a brilliant woman's entire life, and how she in turn impacts him.
Human Nature/Family of Blood - The Doctor finding out what it is like to be human and have to sacrifice everything.
The Fires of Pompeii - Donna coming to terms with the fact that the victims of long-ago disasters she only ever read about in history books were real people who lived real lives, and the pain of not being able to do anything with her future knowledge.
Vincent and the Doctor - One man's agonising journey through life, and the reminder that you can't just "fix" somebody with one (beautiful) gesture.
The Doctor's Wife - The Doctor finally getting to speak with the one true constant in his life.
The Girl Who Waited - What happens when your daughter grows up and no longer sees you as some inspirational, unfaltering paragon?
Last Christmas - Though it loses its impact without the back story of the Doctor and Clara's relationship
Heaven Sent - How one lonely old man deals with grief
The Husbands of River Song - Confronting the knowledge that you love somebody more than they can or will ever love you back.

They're not necessarily the BEST episodes (though some are) but I feel like each has a lot of emotional impact either running through the whole episode or in particular key scenes. The Husbands of River Song in particular I didn't think was all that great but River's giant speech about the Doctor not loving her (followed by "Hello, Sweetie") and their final conversation together really hit hard.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

spog posted:

It seemed to be the original theme with someone tacking a drum machine track over it like a backbedroom 'disco mix' from the 1990s
A nod to Delia Derbyshire, perhaps?

Escobarbarian posted:

The new outfit is cool but yeah I feel like she’s not gonna top how sick she looked in Capaldi’s clothes
:hai:

spog posted:

I feel that if Moffat had written it, he would have handled it with his usual hamfistedness with the point being brought up every 10 mins with a mug to the camera and a crap joke.
See: Curse of the Fatal Death

Chokes McGee posted:

Or Jenny, for that matter?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I'd personally recommend:

Father's Day - Rose's attempts to find closure/acceptance of her father's death.
School Reunion - An old companion being unexpectedly reunited with the Doctor and how they both deal with the gulf of time hanging between them and their last encounter.
The Girl in the Fireplace - The Doctor's impact over the course of a brilliant woman's entire life, and how she in turn impacts him.
Human Nature/Family of Blood - The Doctor finding out what it is like to be human and have to sacrifice everything.
The Fires of Pompeii - Donna coming to terms with the fact that the victims of long-ago disasters she only ever read about in history books were real people who lived real lives, and the pain of not being able to do anything with her future knowledge.
Vincent and the Doctor - One man's agonising journey through life, and the reminder that you can't just "fix" somebody with one (beautiful) gesture.
The Doctor's Wife - The Doctor finally getting to speak with the one true constant in his life.
The Girl Who Waited - What happens when your daughter grows up and no longer sees you as some inspirational, unfaltering paragon?
Last Christmas - Though it loses its impact without the back story of the Doctor and Clara's relationship
Heaven Sent - How one lonely old man deals with grief
The Husbands of River Song - Confronting the knowledge that you love somebody more than they can or will ever love you back.

They're not necessarily the BEST episodes (though some are) but I feel like each has a lot of emotional impact either running through the whole episode or in particular key scenes. The Husbands of River Song in particular I didn't think was all that great but River's giant speech about the Doctor not loving her (followed by "Hello, Sweetie") and their final conversation together really hit hard.

These are good suggestions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Peeny Cheez posted:

Or Jenny, for that matter?

The Doctor doesn't know that Jenny survived.