Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
This little jumper welcomed us to a beautiful campsite on an island in a large lake in northwestern Ontario, in July.
Blueberry-Pike Island-0004 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Blueberry-Pike Island-0005 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Okay what kind of bee is this (on the left). It was huge, about an inch long, and way different than the normal bees I'm used to seeing around here (on the right).

This was in the Heronswood Botanical Garden near Kingston, WA.

She's so pretty!

Edit: or maybe it's a hornet or wasp?

Anony Mouse fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 5, 2018

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Anony Mouse posted:

Okay what kind of bee is this (on the left). It was huge, about an inch long, and way different than the normal bees I'm used to seeing around here (on the right).

This was in the Heronswood Botanical Garden near Kingston, WA.

She's so pretty!

Edit: or maybe it's a hornet or wasp?

Looks like a great example of a great golden digger wasp. Cool find!

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I couldnt get a picture because my drat phone was dead but I was working at a wedding tonight on an old farm and after sunset I watched a skunk foraging for grubs about 20 feet away for a good 10 minutes, it was really funny and kinda cute.
The weird thing is that I was able to get a really good long look at it and I swear that it was a hooded skunk, which should be nowhere near connecticut. Does anyone know if they are ever vagrants in the northeast? Oddly enough I saw a (native)striped skunk on a different part of the property a while later, so it was pretty easy to contrast the two.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I mean...it could be an escaped pet or something. Or a pet that was dumped? Or maybe it's just a striped skunk with some leucism?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I saw a black bear lazily walking down the opposite side of the road in the Poconos recently. Never seen a bear before in my life. Dude driving ahead of me totally stopped his car and I was like "wtf is this dude doing" but then the bear meandered past. I tried to take a picture but it went off into the woods. Pretty dang cool though

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
Found this beautiful lady on a hike in the Rockies.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Striped skunks really vary enormously in coloration imo. In a New England backyard, in different years, I've seen ones with nearly no black and ones with nearly no white, and a broad variety in between.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
New Pupa, who dis?

Found a good sized pupa on a bike trail through tall grass on an industrial brownfield. Assuming it is a Sphinx moth, but it doesn't have the separated jug-handle sheath for its proboscis like a Manduca sp.

Be cool if it was not roasted by the pavement, and also if it were a Pandorus sphinx.

https://imgur.com/a/yLI0QF8

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

I don't know what this wiggle worm is. Just found him the weekend before in the Adirondacks of upstate NY.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I don't know what this wiggle worm is. Just found him the weekend before in the Adirondacks of upstate NY.

You are correct. That is a professional Wiggle Worm and from his coloration I’m pretty sure that he loves you

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Aesop Poprock posted:

You are correct. That is a professional Wiggle Worm and from his coloration I’m pretty sure that he loves you

:3:

We actually saw a few of these guys dooting around. I've seen fuzzy black caterpillars elsewhere that seem fairly similar. Something about all that fuzz makes me leery about touching them though...

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Maybe a type of tussock moth caterpillar, named bc of those little tufts of hair. They itch/burn fosho but i would too if someone was messing with my fashionable coat

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I have a love/hate relationship with caterpillars.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

When I was a kid I would see these guys (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrharctia_isabella) every year, but I haven't seen one in probably twenty years. I miss them they were cool dudes.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
This pretty lady was hunting for something under my hammock among the pine-needle-litter and lichens on the island we camped on in July. North-western Ontario, White Otter Lake.
Blueberry-Pike Island Wasp-0001 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Blueberry-Pike Island Wasp-0002 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Found these two on one of the new coonties I brought home. Super excited.

:sotw:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

ExecuDork posted:

This pretty lady was hunting for something under my hammock among the pine-needle-litter and lichens on the island we camped on in July. North-western Ontario, White Otter Lake.
Blueberry-Pike Island Wasp-0001 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Blueberry-Pike Island Wasp-0002 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Ichneumonid parasite wasp. Looking for insect larvae to lay eggs in.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Saw this in my backyard the other day... not sure exactly what it is but I'm intrigued

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRfbPGXcMLM

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
lmao this rear end in a top hat's never seen a cat

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Pick posted:

lmao this rear end in a top hat's never seen a cat

maybe u can ID these things I found going through my garbage can last night, they were v loud

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Mushrooms are sort of animals yeah?

What are these growing in my garden?

They're all over the place. Asked a friend and he said he doesn't know but said not to eat them.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

Mushrooms are sort of animals yeah?

we have a mushroom thread! but that said just like with everything else ID related it helps to know where you are. Also in this case, what kind of trees are around your garden.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

the yeti posted:

we have a mushroom thread! but that said just like with everything else ID related it helps to know where you are. Also in this case, what kind of trees are around your garden.

Awesome.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
vacation pics!

Bull Elk

Golden Eagle (was trying to use a spotting scope as zoom lens for these next two, didn't really work :( )

Juvie Ospreys screaming "FISH! FISH! FISH!"

a large birb

A Liz.

Yellow Bellied Marmots

a birb of some sort

baby bison

I dunno. A bug?

Badger

Pronghorn

Mule Deer

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Your beetle looks to be a darkling beetle of some sort, I think. Not sure exactly where you were but I wager you can narrow it down by locale if you really want to, there's a lot of the bastards though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Your large birds are sand hill cranes.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

The lizard is some sort of fence lizard, Sceloporus spp.; either a western fence lizard or a sagebrush lizard.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Captain Invictus posted:

Your beetle looks to be a darkling beetle of some sort, I think. Not sure exactly where you were but I wager you can narrow it down by locale if you really want to, there's a lot of the bastards though.

Ayup, that's a tenebrionid. The can look pretty much like anything, but nearly all of them have a distinct chemical smell.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

OneTwentySix posted:

The lizard is some sort of fence lizard, Sceloporus spp.; either a western fence lizard or a sagebrush lizard.

I like to think that fence lizard means that they will buy stolen property.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib
I literally haven't seen a tree frog in years and here one shows up at my job:

All hail the frog overlord:

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

that frog rules

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

it was a good year for window frogs here

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

what a cutie. frogs are some of my favorite critters

bij
Feb 24, 2007

That's a 10/10 frog.

There's a pair of red foxes that occasionally visit my yard, at least I'm pretty sure they're red foxes even though they're grey. They aren't exactly easy to get pictures of but I happened to have my phone in my pocket this evening when one of them made an appearance.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

waggles posted:

I literally haven't seen a tree frog in years and here one shows up at my job:

All hail the frog overlord:

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I like to think that fence lizard means that they will buy stolen property.

Unfortunately, it's not quite as cool - these are just lizards that sword fight.

Potential BFF posted:

That's a 10/10 frog.

There's a pair of red foxes that occasionally visit my yard, at least I'm pretty sure they're red foxes even though they're grey. They aren't exactly easy to get pictures of but I happened to have my phone in my pocket this evening when one of them made an appearance.

This looks like a gray fox to me. They're really neat - I think I've seen one live gray fox and a body in the woods once, vs. maybe twenty-five or so red foxes in my life. They can climb trees!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Tiny garden friends!!

Excuse me where were you two months ago when I needed you for pest control hmmmmm??

Maybe your babies will stay nearby and live in the tomato plants next year.

Gotta love that face. :3:

A strange web in the aloe... And what's that small dark spot??

It's everyone's favorite fuzzy friend, the bold jumping spider Phidippus audax!!

Look at those shiny green chelicerae!

vortmax fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 31, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
There is nothing tiny about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

:kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: