Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

In theme, sure.

In practice, it conspicuously only showed anime scene, part of a cutscene and one battle animation. Odds are good the actual dungeon part of the dungeon will still be pretty bad.

Oh, yeah, definitely.

But I will take my victories where I can find them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Hellioning posted:

Oh, yeah, definitely.

But I will take my victories where I can find them.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

So I just done goofed and released Krishna and that apparently is bad for reasons I do not know because I'm stopping for tonight.

I'm loving the poo poo out of Apocalypse. I'm interested to see where the plot is going and I love the new gameplay features. It also has what is now one of my all-time favorite world map themes and I just finished replaying Chrono Cross so that is pretty high praise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB0lrb89qSY

I could listen to this forever.

One of my favourites! The Divine Powers alsohas one of my favourite battle themes, because it sounds so weirdly discordant and chaotic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EtFEfnwCxc

There's another dungeon theme near the end of the game (second last dungeon I believe) that always gives me goosebumps from how epic yet spooky it is but I'll leave that till when you've reached it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I have more then once left 4a running on the title cause I like that theme so much

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

I have more then once left 4a running on the title cause I like that theme so much

The title theme is probably in the top 3 best songs in the game, agreed.

So one thing I love about Apocalypse is how useful status effects are. No idea if this was true in 4 since I mainly used magic and physical attacks but in my physical build of my character, I quickly learned you will not survive if a boss gets all their turns. Defeating King Frost happened thanks to me using Head Crush and getting Dizzy on him. Many hours later, I just beat Titan thanks to Frenzied Chomp, a move that applies Bind, Panic and Poison, two of which worked on him. He died from being frozen and suffering poison damage.

It's really cool.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Status effects attacks and buffing/debuffing totally make or break battles in SMT4

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
while we're talking about music, i checked out the Q2 intro and was very impressed by how its theme song mixed in motifs from all three games

still not as cool as how Q1's two battle themes could be overlaid to form an even better track, though

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I never really used status effects in the smt 4 games but I very much built my team around buffs and debuffs.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think P3 didn't punish you as severely if you went into the dungeon (you could explore and build social links on the same day), so that one I took my time with, but P4 and 5 I did literally everything I could in the dungeon at the first opportunity. P5 was annoying because the calling card mechanic meant each dungeon took a minimum of three days. You could at least boost your proficiency by making tools after sending the card though.

I still feel P3 has the best dungeon diving system because of this, players shouldn't feel they're wasting valuable time when exploring the dungeons, and P5 proved that players will willfully make their experience more miserable while blaming the game to play it "the optimal way".

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Another really nice thing about p3's system was it added the Monad Block on new game plus playthroughs so you could grind quickly with your endgame stuff. That was cool and I wish they would have repeated it with Mementos.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

I never really used status effects in the smt 4 games but I very much built my team around buffs and debuffs.

I seem to remember charm being good for fights but actually that might have been strange journey

Sj had stone as a really good effect, the rock gun or whatever it was called I used for the entire game

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, Petrify in SJ is really good in part because it's, well, an instant win button (that works on A Lot of Things) and in part because ailments in SJ have fairly high proc rates for a remarkably low cost.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

OH ARE THEY NOW

https://twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/1047933017031827456

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I took over a year's break from P5 due to various reasons after getting about 30 hours in, and finally got back into it last week on the PS4 instead of the PS3 (the ultimate edition was like 75% off so thought why not) with a fresh start and finally beat it and loved it. I might prefer it to P4G; gotta give that another spin soon to confirm that it's not a case of rose-tinted glasses though.

P4G, for my money, still has the better soundtrack but P5 has some drat great music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTT7RfQvICI

I have both P3:FES and P3P (PS2 emulation on PS3 and PSP emulation on Vita, respectively) and boy is it hard to get into. P4G was the first one I played and I've now tried twice to start a P3 playthrough (once per version) and it's very tricky after playing the later two games. :(

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Is her name actually Qatherine

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Bogart posted:

Yes.

In the same ad where they revealed the name, "angel" was in big bold characters next to her
:thunk:

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!

Tarezax posted:

Yes.

In the same ad where they revealed the name, "angel" was in big bold characters next to her
:thunk:

Like they said. Hints.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Stare-Out posted:

I have both P3:FES and P3P (PS2 emulation on PS3 and PSP emulation on Vita, respectively) and boy is it hard to get into. P4G was the first one I played and I've now tried twice to start a P3 playthrough (once per version) and it's very tricky after playing the later two games. :(

I still say P3P is the best in the series. I don't think you lose much by not walking around town, and the story and characters I felt were more interesting than in P4.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Atlas Hugged posted:

I still say P3P is the best in the series. I don't think you lose much by not walking around town, and the story and characters I felt were more interesting than in P4.

Coming from newer entries in the series, P3P is also marginally better in terms of quality of life (you get skill cards and aren't forced to use AI control for party members) so if Stare-Out ever wants to try P3 again that's the one I'd go with.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Bogart posted:

Her name is actually Rin, but someone called her Qatherine and it stuck.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Paralyzing enemies and using the COMP skill to ask them for money is the easiest way to farm macca outside of DLC, though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

Coming from newer entries in the series, P3P is also marginally better in terms of quality of life (you get skill cards and aren't forced to use AI control for party members) so if Stare-Out ever wants to try P3 again that's the one I'd go with.

I figured as much, yeah. Persona feels more like a portable game to me anyway (also my PS3 heats up like a bastard); I’m doing a P5 NG+ through remote play on the Vita, think I’ll give P3P a go after that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hellioning posted:

Her name is actually Rin, but someone called her Qatherine and it stuck.

No, her official name is Qatherine.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you look at the character profile on the official website, her name is rendered as Qatherine in English but Rin in Japanese.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Petiso posted:

Paralyzing enemies and using the COMP skill to ask them for money is the easiest way to farm macca outside of DLC, though.

I forgot about that. I did set up one demon for that purpose just so that I could complete those two missions.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Has anyone ever had a problem with quests breaking in Apocalypse? This is the weirdest loving thing. I just got a few Challenge Quests after meeting with Tenkai and him telling me what to do for the main quest. I was wandering about, did the Tokyo Dome CQ, and then went to turn them in.

Only when I got to Ueno, the guy said there was nothing to turn in. Perplexed, I looked at the CQ list again to see what was up and if I had to deliver it to a specific place. To my shock, all the new Challenge Quests were just...gone. They aren't Done or awaiting being done, they simply vanished.

All I can say is thank God I started making redundant saves. Turns out there's even supposed to be a cutscene when you go to the Hunter Association to turn in the Tokyo Dome photo. I dodged a bullet with this weird-rear end glitch.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah 4A may not have gotten the best QA pass. One important climactic boss had entire passages still in Japanese because the QA players were so overlevelled they bypassed them by hitting it too hard.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tell me honestly, did any of you have to ask for help against Krishna? I hate to do it but after a day of trying, I've gotten nowhere. First brilliant strategy was fusing a monster with Null Mind by spending a fuckton on recalling Prometheus. No good, I guess one of the bajillion status ailments he inflicts is Bind. Second strategy was make Anubis because IIRC he had Silent Prayer in IV and while I've never seen much use for the move, getting rid of ALL buffs - even our own - still seemed better than letting him buff over and over and over again. But if he did learn it in IV, he doesn't here. He is vulnerable to Dizzy but it must be a tiny, tiny vulnerability because I've only gotten it on him once in all my attempts.

Grinding up to Level 63 so I could get Alciel who is immune to Force and Electric attacks seemed like a worthy endeavor. I can now usually damage him quickly enough to get to the first dialogue conversation. But that is if and only if his first Venomous whatever doesn't get Bind on me. It is usually like 60/40 that it won't get me the first time around. So I have concluded buffs and debuffs aren't the problem, the bastard wanting to be a Malboro is what is dooming me and I have sen nothing in the game to protect me from status ailments.

I loving hate asking for help. I'm playing on War for a reason, I refuse to use the DLC for a reason. This guy is supposed to be entirely beatable by just a normal player. But I don't want to keep grinding and I'm no closer to figuring out the secret to beating him than I was yesterday.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Use Hallelujah as your partner.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pureauthor posted:

Pretty much. People like to harp on and on (maybe not here, but on other websites for sure) about how you should just stick to Asahi and/or Navarre, but Hallelujah is a godsend for battles such as the one you're going through.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Pretty much. People like to harp on and on (maybe not here, but on other websites for sure) about how you should just stick to Asahi and/or Navarre, but Hallelujah is a godsend for battles such as the one you're going through.

that seems dumb, toki procced like every other fight in my playthrough, shes invaluable for random encounters imo

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Wark Say posted:

I just obliterated Krishna in one try thanks to Hallelujah. Granted, I'm now Level 63 to Krishna's 60 but even still, it's amazing how I just annihilated him by simply using Hallelujah.

I feel kinda stupid now, it was so simple and obvious. I just forget there are Partners besides Asahi and Navarre. I've certainly never used any of them besides Toki.

So thank you and I am thedumb.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mandatory lesbian posted:

that seems dumb, toki procced like every other fight in my playthrough, shes invaluable for random encounters imo
:yeah: My only real beef with Toki is that she sometimes insta-killed demons I wanted to recruit, so I had to actively bench her in situations where I was trawling for demon buddies, usually followed by bouts of slightly emotional "Ugh, Tokiiiii!" :argh:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I heard Apocalypse got some poo poo from "purists" for being too much like Persona, or at least influenced by Persona. I haven't really seen it up until now. Sure there was more character focus than in most SMT games but Persona is hardly unique about that.

But once we got Toki permanently, and now we're getting disguises, I can definitely see it. Just the interactions and music and the fact we're all like 15. Of course, Nozomi only belongs in Eternal Punishment with the other senior citizens. 21? Talk about over-the-hill. No wonder she sucks. (joking, by the way)

Still, I highly approve of this. I've enjoyed Apocalypse more than any SMT game apart from Nocturne. It might end up being my favorite SMT game.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

NikkolasKing posted:

I just obliterated Krishna in one try thanks to Hallelujah. Granted, I'm now Level 63 to Krishna's 60 but even still, it's amazing how I just annihilated him by simply using Hallelujah.

I feel kinda stupid now, it was so simple and obvious. I just forget there are Partners besides Asahi and Navarre. I've certainly never used any of them besides Toki.

So thank you and I am thedumb.

Now go back to where you met Krishna the first time. :)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nephrite posted:

Now go back to where you met Krishna the first time. :)

You mean the dungeon where we freed him? The big room at the end?I went up to the big stone ball thing again but nothing. Dunno what I 'm supposed to see or have happen.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
No that part happens a good bit later.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I just arrived at Camp Ichigaya. I do not think this is the actual actual end like they are saying in the story but the end is still nigh.

When should I do the DLC? I've been told the Mikado DLC is super hard for example.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

So I just arrived at Camp Ichigaya. I do not think this is the actual actual end like they are saying in the story but the end is still nigh.

When should I do the DLC? I've been told the Mikado DLC is super hard for example.

You're quite a ways off from worrying about the DLC for now, if you are where I think you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It is funny that Persona 5 got guns and 'demon' negotiation, while SMT 4.5 got a not all-out attack and some other stuff.