Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
She absolutely did. Watch the last 10 or so cakes she eats. They're way bigger than they should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

She absolutely did. Watch the last 10 or so cakes she eats. They're way bigger than they should be.

Oh. I missed this! Thanks! I'm going to have to watch that scene again.

Amazing that no one was able to outrun her while all this was happening. Mother Caramel's devil fruit was apparently powerless to stop her.

Kudos to all the kids who grew up with this obviously insane and dangerous person and still wanted to be her friend. Shame their kindness and acceptance backfired on them.

Kind of unfortunate that she's clearly a girl suffering from some kind of mental disorder rather than just being evil.

Also, I was reading through the One Piece timeline someone sent me (I can link it later if anyone wants), and apparently Linlin's first child was probably with the Cook Cook guy? Kind of messed up since he met her as a 6-year old and kind of raised her.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

Also, I was reading through the One Piece timeline someone sent me (I can link it later if anyone wants), and apparently Linlin's first child was probably with the Cook Cook guy? Kind of messed up since he met her as a 6-year old and kind of raised her.

That's just speculation, IIRC.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Something else worth pointing out as per the latest episode: Eating someone transfers their devil fruit ability to you. Clearly this isn't general knowledge or there'd likely be a lot more cannibals around!

But yeah, yet another villain with a tragic backstory who would likely not have been a villain had they been given a proper upbringing.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Silver2195 posted:

That's just speculation, IIRC.

Yeah, the thing I was reading also said it was just speculation. I'm not sure if there's more evidence to come or not in the anime though. Not sure if the manga differs at all here.

Zark the Damned posted:

Something else worth pointing out as per the latest episode: Eating someone transfers their devil fruit ability to you. Clearly this isn't general knowledge or there'd likely be a lot more cannibals around!

But yeah, yet another villain with a tragic backstory who would likely not have been a villain had they been given a proper upbringing.

Counter-point: literally no one in One Piece has ever had an upbringing. Being a parent is pretty much a death sentence unless you're Yassop.

I feel like Linlin actually had the best upbringing out of anyone so far, and see how well that turned out.

The future King of Pirates was abandoned by his father, raised by mountain bandits, and thrown into bottomless pits and to animals whenever his grandfather visited. He turned out pretty well anyway.

Brook might have had parents though; it's possible.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 28, 2018

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Zark the Damned posted:

I suspect that's somehow a hint towards how Blackbeard stole Whitebeards devilfruit power.

I'm not sure how because Whitebeard did not appear to be eaten but his body was covered by a sheet so anything is possible. Like maybe devilfruit power is stored only in your heart so if someone eats your heart they get your power. Blackbeard could have somehow eaten some of Whitebeards innards without it being visible on his exterior.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 28, 2018

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

I suspect that's somehow a hint towards how Blackbeard stole Whitebeards devilfruit power.

I'm not sure how because Whitebeard did not appear to be eaten but his body was covered by a sheet so anything is possible.

I still think the Cereberus theory makes the most sense and he used his Cereberus powers to eat his soul or the demon inside him or whatever.

We've also seen Cesaer convince a fruit to turn into a devil's fruit upon a nearby user's death. He could have done the same and then ate it.

My guess with no evidence of any kind is that the devil within rushes to the nearest fruit.
However, early in the series, it was said the mystery of the fruits has its answer in the Grand Line. Or something like that. I wonder what that meant.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

Yeah, the thing I was reading also said it was just speculation. I'm not sure if there's more evidence to come or not in the anime though. Not sure if the manga differs at all here.

Counter-point: literally no one in One Piece has ever had an upbringing. Being a parent is pretty much a death sentence unless you're Yassop.

I feel like Linlin actually had the best upbringing out of anyone so far, and see how well that turned out.

The future King of Pirates was abandoned by his father, raised by mountain bandits, and thrown into bottomless pits and to animals whenever his grandfather visited. He turned out pretty well anyway.

Yeah, aside from maybe Brook (don't remember if it was ever explained what happened to Zoro's family either) all of the Straw Hats were either abandoned, had their parental figures get killed or both. A few family members that we know of are still around such as Garp, Sabo, Nojiko, Yassop, Doctorine, and the cook who took Sanji in (I forget his name), and only two of those are even actual blood relatives.This kind of stuff has been happening in the series since the beginning.

Hell, we don't even know who Nami's birth parents were, just that she was abandoned in a warzone as an infant. Though to be fair not counting adoptive familes we've only really seen the blood relatives of Luffy, Usopp, Sanji and Robin (and Vivi I guess if you want to count her).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 28, 2018

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Yeah, aside from maybe Brook (don't remember if it was ever explained what happened to Zoro's family either) all of the Straw Hats were either abandoned, had their parental figures get killed or both. A few family members that we know of are still around such as Garp, Sabo, Nojiko, Yassop, Doctorine, and the cook who took Sanji in (I forget his name), and only two of those are even actual blood relatives.This kind of stuff has been happening in the series since the beginning.

Hell, we don't even know who Nami's birth parents were, just that she was abandoned in a warzone as an infant. Though to be fair not counting adoptive familes we've only really seen the blood relatives of Luffy, Usopp, Sanji and Robin (and Vivi I guess if you want to count her).

Usually they only have half a family at best. Ussop and Sanji might be the only two with both a mother and father. Also Law and Doflamingo and Rebecca and Linlin I guess. Maybe some others as well.

Oh, and of course Ace.

--- Sabo too? Probably.

It's strange there's been no mention at all of Luffy's mother.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

Usually they only have half a family at best. Ussop and Sanji might be the only two with both a mother and father. Also Law and Doflamingo and Rebecca and Linlin I guess. Maybe some others as well.

Oh, and of course Ace.

--- Sabo too? Probably.

It's strange there's been no mention at all of Luffy's mother.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Usopp's mom die when he was a kid? We did actually see her at least so she still counts regardless. Aside from that, Nami's birth parents are most likely long dead considering where she was found, Franky's parents are either dead or just abandoned him (I forget which), Chopper is a reindeer that gained human characteristics and speech by eating a Devil Fruit and was kicked out of his herd, and I don't think Zoro and Brook's families have been mentioned at all as far as I can remember.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 29, 2018

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Oh my goodness, that Germa 66 transformation sequence and eye catch

What a great episode.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Also Bege going full on Alexander / Metroplex was kinda cool.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Toei really put some effort into this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2_MqPUeFwI&t=14s

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Not too shabby! We are on the cruise! 1 2 Jango, with a don!

(I have like 100 episodes sitting ready to go)

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

That is a great scene but man, since they went all the way with Sogeking and the Ginyu Force back in the day, I would've killed for an old Showa-style sentai insert song for Germa 66.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I agree they were good scenes, but a lot of the in-between shots paid the price. The lack of mouth movement was really jarring.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Luffy vs Big Mama was really disappointing :/ But Big Mama using Haki is insane. The only real advantage the Strawhat crew has over the Yonko lords (not including Shank's Crew) is their teamwork.

I don't understand why Gastino didn't fly straight up and across.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Suspicious Lump posted:

I don't understand why Gastino didn't fly straight up and across.

Because Caeser is an idiot who's only good at making doomsday weapons.

And also because the current plot requires the characters to be handling the idiot ball in order to create drama

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Bege's evil laugh at seeing Big Mom fall to her (not) death was so perfectly done. I love that voice actor.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

Bege's evil laugh at seeing Big Mom fall to her (not) death was so perfectly done. I love that voice actor.
I think he knows that's not going to kill Big Mama. IMO it's worse than that, it's a huge humiliation to have your wedding crashed, your family attacked and some of them betray you, and your home destroyed. The bigass tower is the Whole Cake Chateau, having it crash into your country is huge offense.

Straw hats are sooo dead.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
So ahhh Big Mama is loving scary.

I felt a bit bad for Totto country, imagine living under her psychotic rule.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Suspicious Lump posted:

So ahhh Big Mama is loving scary.

I felt a bit bad for Totto country, imagine living under her psychotic rule.

It'd be terrifying living in a country with a ruler who is demonstrably loving insane and completely driven by their own greed and arrogance and yet protected from any and all repercussions due to being born with insane amounts of power and having amassed an army of brainwashed supporters.

Thankfully that sort of thing only happens in cartoons!

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

It'd be terrifying living in a country with a ruler who is demonstrably loving insane and completely driven by their own greed and arrogance and yet protected from any and all repercussions due to being born with insane amounts of power and having amassed an army of brainwashed supporters.

Thankfully that sort of thing only happens in cartoons!
Hopefully the government will step in, maybe they will send in CP9?!?

I think one of the reasons she splits her soul (or infuses her soul) in food items is only because she wants food to never go off, constantly surround her and always entertain her. That's really hosed up.

In the scenes where she decimates the forst, isn't she effectively killing parts of her soul? Do they return or are they destoryed?

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Suspicious Lump posted:

Hopefully the government will step in, maybe they will send in CP9?!?

I think one of the reasons she splits her soul (or infuses her soul) in food items is only because she wants food to never go off, constantly surround her and always entertain her. That's really hosed up.

In the scenes where she decimates the forst, isn't she effectively killing parts of her soul? Do they return or are they destoryed?

It seems that there is some level of equivalence between "soul" and lifespan. Given that, she probably has a huge supply of soul and doesn't need to worry about running out any time soon.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Also it was covered earlier that the inhabitants of the island have to "donate" part of their soul every once in a while or leave the island. Those souls are collected and then implanted in the various "living" objects around the islands. The only homies that are actually from Big Moms soul is Zeus, Prometheus, and her hat, whos name I forget. That's also why Brook can't defeat them.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

Also it was covered earlier that the inhabitants of the island have to "donate" part of their soul every once in a while or leave the island. Those souls are collected and then implanted in the various "living" objects around the islands. The only homies that are actually from Big Moms soul is Zeus, Prometheus, and her hat, whos name I forget. That's also why Brook can't defeat them.
Ahh that's right! thanks for the reminder I had forgotten the souls were directly implanted into objects. I thought Big Mama first "ate" the souls/lifespan and then made objects.

Speaking of Zeus and Prometheus, is it possible they have their own personalities because Mother Carmal originally made them?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Suspicious Lump posted:

Ahh that's right! thanks for the reminder I had forgotten the souls were directly implanted into objects. I thought Big Mama first "ate" the souls/lifespan and then made objects.

Speaking of Zeus and Prometheus, is it possible they have their own personalities because Mother Carmal originally made them?

Actually, (maybe this hasn't been covered yet but it's not a big spoiler!) Zeus and Prometheus, and Napoleon too, are definitely made from Big Mom's own soul. In fact, they may be the only ones she used her own soul for since they're significantly stronger than other Homies and she keeps them close to her.

Mother Carmel did make a sun like Prometheus, but I believe its name was Pandora?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Shadow0 posted:

I don't imagine that people with good families choose to be pirates.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Latest episode: They finally got there.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I have a lot of hope that the anime won't screw this up but... I'm not confident considering how the previous episodes have been trending

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

What’s the last part the anime did well? The Law flashback?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

What’s the last part the anime did well? The Law flashback?

I got real sick of hearing "Sistaaaa!!!" IIRC.

I always feel kind of weirded out by the Christian things in One Piece. For some reason, they feel kind of out of place to me. More so than the robots and Sci-Fi.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Jesus loving christ. Pedro. So loving awesome.

Took :zoro: to the next level.

Edit: I really wanted Carrot to land a hit on Katakuri or something. At least we got that cool as moment with Luffy taking the fight to them.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 3, 2018

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
New opening this week.

Wanting Carrot to join the crew, but that's probably unlikely.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrew_1985 posted:

New opening this week.

A few of them end up growing on me, but I really hate this one.
At least the new songs during the show are a bit better than the last arc, but still somehow lack in that real excitement that the original ones did. Though maybe that's just me.

Andrew_1985 posted:

Wanting Carrot to join the crew, but that's probably unlikely.

I feel like the crew is already probably too large.

Suspicious Lump posted:

Jesus loving christ. Pedro. So loving awesome.

Took :zoro: to the next level.

Bombs: somehow among the weakest weapons in anime.
At least he managed to take off an arm.
Too bad he's a logia paramecia that can replace his limbs anyway though.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 7, 2018

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Katakuri enjoying his doughnuts was absolutely wonderful, perhaps the most wonderful moment I've seen in years from this show.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Freakazoid_ posted:

Katakuri enjoying his doughnuts was absolutely wonderful, perhaps the most wonderful moment I've seen in years from this show.

I felt like him having fangs was not at all surprising, like it was somehow something I already knew - I'm trying to remember if the anime spoiled itself somehow at some point, or am I just crazy?

Also, I want some of them donuts... :munch:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shadow0 posted:

I felt like him having fangs was not at all surprising, like it was somehow something I already knew - I'm trying to remember if the anime spoiled itself somehow at some point, or am I just crazy?

Katakuri can also be translated as Dogtooth

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Shadow0 posted:

It was super not obvious to me and a great surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Did linlin rape a shark man to make Katakuri? I thought the giants and fishmen hated the Charlotte family?