Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Julio Cruz posted:

Call up the big 4, wait until the trade deadline for Bradley and only call him up if we deal Santana.

Agreed.

TINSTAAPP, so look if there's a potential five-tool bat available. College preferred, but HS works too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Julio Cruz posted:

Call up the big 4, wait until the trade deadline for Bradley and only call him up if we deal Santana.
:agreed:

Also: A hitter should be first round imo.

There's a shortstop named Drew Bowser in the draft that's probably regretting his name right now

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

There is only one choice for who we should draft. Somebody who hits a ton of dingers.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Bring up the Big Four; stash Bradley until the trade deadline so we have him waiting in the wings if we make some moves.

In the draft target a college pitcher, preferably one we can aim to get into a starter role. In the supplemental draft target Best Player Available, without regard to positional logjams; if we end up with a trade chip rather than a starter-in-the-waiting, that's fine, we're planning on focusing on trades regardless.

Agreed in total

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I want Nick Bitsko in the draft (probably not with our first pick).

Our first pick should be someone who is probably close to being ready (a year or two) at a position where we will have a spot open (either because the player currently there is JAG or because we have a player who will be gone via retirement or contract expiry). We're not really in a position to be picky about which position outside of a few.

Every pick after that should be some form of BPA.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Where do you go to see the players in the draft? Tried looking around the site but couldn't find anything.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Sydin posted:

Where do you go to see the players in the draft? Tried looking around the site but couldn't find anything.

I think it's the "Rookie Draft Pool B/P" on this page I think http://www.cowace2.com/OOTP/OOTP/leagues/league_146_home.html

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
DRAFT RESULTS

With the 7th overall pick, we took Seth Beer, OF (note: irl he signed HOU last year, not sure why he got recycled). He suits our team philosophy perfectly: huge power, lots of walks, mediocre defense. Projects as a middle order power hitter and a 1B or corner outfielder. He's 22 and could be ready to go as soon as next season.

With the last pick in the supplemental 1st, we took HS SS Caiden Matheny. 5 tool guy with plus defense. Projects as a big league shortstop with plus defense and a league average bat.

With our 3rd round pick, we took Hunter Barco, HS pitcher. 6'3 with a 94 mph fastball and a killer curve, but a long way to go in controlling it. So, not that interesting as a pitcher...but he is ALSO a decent big league OF prospect, with plus power as a corner OF.

WIth our 4th round pick we took Tyler Dyson, college pitcher with a plus fastball and slider. Projects as a big league reliever or possible starter if he develops a good third pitch.

With our 5th round pick we took Cody Freeman, a glove-first infield prospect.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Notes:
We lost Allen Cordoba for 2 months to an ankle injury, so we had to call up Urias. He had some service time last year too, so he'll almost certainly be Super Two.

Called up Baez, Quantill, and Mejia on June 15th. Quantrill slides into the rotation, Baez into the pen for some reason, and Mejia as our starting catcher.

Just like that, we win 8 in a row. Then lose Urias for 6 weeks to a broken hand. We also lost Diekman for the season to a back injury, which sucks not only for our bullpen but that's a lost trade chip.

FTJ promoted to AAA after slashing 287/362/525 in AA. He'll be ready to go this year, if we want to give him the call.

VOTE

The international signing window starts in early July. Do we:

- Spend to the cap, or save the cash?
- Blow it all on one fantastic looking 16 year old, or spread it out among some mediocre guys?
- Target a pitcher, or a hitter?

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 7, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
ALL STAR BREAK 2019

Record is 45-52, .464, 3rd place, NL West.

Eovaldi and Yuli are our all stars. Injuries have really hurt us: 3 key relievers and three regular starters are on the DL.

VOTE

We need to decide our trade deadline strategy.

Do we:

A - Go all in for the playoffs. We are currently 7 games out of a wildcard spot, and have more trade chips than any team in baseball.

B - Stay put with our current guys?

C - Trade off our vets, and bring up more blue chippers?

D - Trade off vets, and bring up replacement level guys?

As for our possible trade chips:

Carlos Santana has hit well this season but has essentially no trade value. We could offload him for nothing though, and bring in Bobby Bradley, who has been ludicrous in AAA.

Yuli Guerriel has been our best player, and could probably bring back a decent roster player or a couple of prospects. FTJ is sitting behind him and is probably ready to go...if we want to start his clock now.

Nate Eovaldi has been fantastic for us. He could bring back an elite prospect. However, he's on a VERY team friendly (7m) deal with two years left after this one.

Justin Wilson has also been brilliant as our closer. He could bring back a decent prospect. His salary goes up to 6m next year, but it is on a team option.

Upload will be completed soon.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Trust the Process. Hold pat unless we get a good offer for some more young controllable guys. Hug those prospects. Hopefully go all in next year.

As for international guys... if we go for anything, go for batting. I feel like taking a lottery pull on a teenage pitcher is just not a good way to spend a limited amount of money we could put somewhere else.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Option C, we may only be 7 games back but there are still five teams between us and that spot.

Gurriel should definitely go for the best available package.

Eovaldi I would trade if we can get a top guy that will be with us by opening day 2021. Preferably a pitcher.

Wilson is between the two for me. If we can get a really good package or individual back then I'd trade him, but 6m isn't really a lot for a great closer and it won't be hard to trade him at 6m if we decide to go that route.

If you can find someone to take Santana without us sending much cash or a meaningful prospect then I'd get rid of him.

I would call up FTJ and Bradley. Plus depending on how well they play we could make a run at the Wild Card even after all these trades. Also, 44 dingers before the end of July is hilarious, even if it is the PCL.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Eh, I'd keep FTJ down until next year unless we have no other options. I'd also hold onto Eovoldi unless we get offered a top 25 in all MLB pitching prospect type. Trade the rest though, yeah.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Sydin posted:

Eh, I'd keep FTJ down until next year unless we have no other options. I'd also hold onto Eovoldi unless we get offered a top 25 in all MLB pitching prospect type. Trade the rest though, yeah.

Agreed. No point in rushing this, keep our best guys unless we get blown away.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
International signing period - save some cash, target one young stud, aim for a batter - preferable C/2B/SS/3B since we seem to have more outfielders and 1B than we can shake a stick at anyways

Trade Deadline - Option C. Bring Bradley up at the deadline, trade Santana. Keep everyone else, though; see how far we can get.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Here's what I can do for you, kid...

Only the Red Sox called back about Carlos Santana. Good news is they offered Michael Chavis, who looks like a solid bat at 3B to backfill for Guerriel until FTJ gets the call. I took that one on your behalf.

Justin Wilson brought back some interesting offers:

- Corbin Burnes, RHP, #69 overall prospect. Probably ML ready now, has a plus slider and tops out at a #3 guy in the majors

- Yadier Alvarez, RHP, #55 overall prospect. 99 mph heater and plus slider, but needs to develop a 3rd pitch to be a reliable MLB starter. ETA is next season at the earliest.

- Justin Williams, RF. ML ready, just got the callup. He slashed 324/360/621 in AAA this season, is a doubles machine as a corner OF. Possible future all-star in the mold of a Markakis.

Yuli Guerriel only brought one interesting offer: Dakota Hudson, a major league ready RHP from the Twins. He doesn't have great stuff but is a groundball machine. He's a 4/5 starter today, and could be #3 guy by next season.

Nate Evoaldi only brought one interesting offer: Jamie Callahan, a top shelf RP prospect. He throws a 95 mph cutter, and that's it. It is all he needs.

Your move, kid. What do we do?

Note:

Seth Beer enters as the #4 prospect, and we signed Marco Luciano as our international free agent. He is a free-swinging 18 year old 5 tool SS prospect who projects as a high avg/60+ XBH hitter and an average fielder at SS. He cost the whole kaboodle though, $5m. He enters as the #12 prospect and is hitting 283/400/478 in the DSL right now.

So, the cupboard is restocked, for now...keep the treadmill rolling.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 8, 2018

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Hold on Eovaldi, Trade Yuli. I'm personally inclined to hold on to Wilson too, but if we're gonna trade him go for Burnes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Acquire Williams for Wilson. Our corner OF situation is tragic. I won't be mad if we get Burns, but I'm not keen on Alvarez.

I'm indifferent on Guerriel

Keep Eovaldi since that deal is awesome

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Santana, Guerriel, and Wilson are now GONE.

For them we got:

Dakota Hudson
Carlos Aguiar (17 y/o 3 star OF power bat)
Gabriel Maciel (20 y/o 3 star speed-first CF), also he's Brazilian
Justin Williams
Michael Chavis

Called up Hudson, Williams, and Chavis, plus BIG BAT BRADLEY

LETS GO SECOND HALF

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

e: oh cool that's what I was gonna say anyway

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Holy poo poo we got Chavis for Santana? That is beautiful, I like Michael Chavis a lot.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2019 Season in Review

75-87, .463, 3rd place NL West

We went into this season with two goals: a .500 record, and keep working on the farm. We came close to a .500 record, and we did a great job of landing more quality prospects.

THE GOOD
- We offloaded two horrible contracts in their entirety
- We acquired three quality ML-ready prospects: Bradley, Williams, and Hudson
- We acquired two more top 10 prospects league-wide: Beer and Luciano
- Mejia and Quantrill both look like the real deal, potential all stars
- Nate Eovaldi was a great signing: almost 200 quality innings and 4 WAR for only 7m, with two more years left
- FTJ had a great year at both AA and AAA, and looks like the kind of prospect who will step into the majors at an all star level
- Mackenzie Gore emerged as an elite pitching prospect: 4 plus pitches, 96 mph heater. He also OPSed .657 in AA as a stand-in 1B. He may be ready to go next season.

THE BAD
- We still suck
- Luis Urias had a bad, injury prone season
- Joey Lucchesi and Matt Strahm were not great. Nor was Phil Maton.

VOTE

First, we need to decide about two key staff: pitching coach Darren Balsley, and hitting coach Morgan Burkhart. Both got good performances out of some players, but overall, the team's performance in both areas was poor. How much of this was due to poor coaching, and how much to lack of talent?

Do we offer an extension to one, both, or neither?

Second, manager Andy Green. This is his 4th season in a row below .500, but again, how much is he to blame? He's still due two years at almost a million bucks. Do we fire him, or retain him?

Third: what is our strategy for the 2020 season?

A. Tank year. Keep piling prospects, don't call up any prospects until Super Two Day to include FTJ.

B. Try to play .500 ball, again. This is probably at least a .500 team right now, especially with FTJ starting the year at 3B, so we can do this without much effort. It'll basically just be a year waiting for the young core to get better.

C. Make the playoffs. We will field the best team we can and try to overtake the Evil Dodger Empire. We'll have quite a bit of money to spend in free agency: right now our payroll is the lowest in MLB, by a lot.

...or, something else?

Finally: is there any player we should not offer arbitration to (probably Jankowski at a minimum)? And should we exercise Diekman's $4m option? (I say no: he's on the back end of his career and he was bitching about wanting to leave before he got hurt)

League website HERE. Take a look at the regular season results and the upcoming free agents! Next sim will include the playoffs, award winners, and so on, but wanted to stop it here so we could make decisions about coaches and player options.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 8, 2018

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I consider the Padres not being in last place a huge victory :toot:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I consider the Padres not being in last place a huge victory :toot:

:same:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

[B] but targeting the following season as the opening of the window -- don't be afraid to drop some cash on stars with a few years of control at the right price this offseason. Let Diekman go.

Arb guys the ones with (A) next to them in the 2020 column?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Arb guys the ones with (A) next to them in the 2020 column?

Yep. The number is the predicted arb settlement.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
B, but keep an eye on the second WC maybe? The payroll and prospect flexibility mean we could always buy big and make a run if we're close.

As far as the manager question goes, who is available to us?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

What's Spangenburg's deal, hurt any or just not producing? We acquired some OFs, any logic to letting him walk?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

B but targeting the following season as the opening of the window -- don't be afraid to drop some cash on stars with a few years of control at the right price this offseason. Let Diekman go.

This. Probably want to wait to bring up FTJ until he's a super two, but call him up after that. If we look good at the ASB we can reassess, but there's no reason to go into full trying to win mode to start the next season.

Also Keep the current coaching staff and manager. Maybe we punt them next year if guys take a step back but for now I don't see any reason to shake things up considering we accomplished our goal.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

As far as the manager question goes, who is available to us?

Prominent unemployed guys are Kirk Gibson and Jerry Manuel, but there will be a postseason bloodbath after the series is over that should give us some more options.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Coaches: Keep our pitching coach, get a new hitting coach. Preferably one that isn't Chili Davis.

Manager: Keep Andy Green. He's not doing so terribly!

2020 strategy: B. We're a young team; we could use a season or two of growth and experience before we start making the Big Move. If we find a few Bargain Stars - like we did with Nasty Nate Eovaldi - then pick them up, but there's no need to overreach too soon.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

What's Trevor Hoffman up to? Do you think he'd want to be a pitching coach?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Coaches: Keep our pitching coach, get a new hitting coach. Preferably one that isn't Chili Davis.

Manager: Keep Andy Green. He's not doing so terribly!

2020 strategy: B. We're a young team; we could use a season or two of growth and experience before we start making the Big Move. If we find a few Bargain Stars - like we did with Nasty Nate Eovaldi - then pick them up, but there's no need to overreach too soon.

I'm with this.

Definitely dump the batting coach. We're not walking at all and we have some pretty anemic power numbers, despite it looking like most guys' BABIP are doing alright.

Aim for .500 and if we're seeing surprises at the ASB, maybe do some dealing before the deadline. If we can avoid a May like we had in 2019, I'm feeling okay, honestly.

I'm also not sure what to do about Urias. He's only 22 and had a couple injuries, but his power is so bad. SO bad. I know the org and OOTP are still keen on him, but if he doesn't develop that power soon he's gonna have to really up his defensive game to make him worth a roster slot once arbitration rolls around.

Also, speaking of injuries:

quote:

Friday, April 19th, 2019
C Willians Astudillo was injured after getting in a fight during a poker game. The Diagnosis: Knee contusion. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last 6 days.
LA TORTUGA

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Extend the coaches, it's probably the overall talent level that's causing the bad rankings, I think they're doing well with what we have.

Keep Andy Green, firing him means paying out his contract PLUS whatever we pay the new guy, who will cost at least as much unless we go with a complete unknown.

Cut Diekman

Combination of B and C, call up FTJ after we get the extra year of control, super 2 be damned.

FA Targets: We need a SS (Cordoba is more of a utility guy IMO) and there are some good options. Didi Gregorius is the best option by far but may be a pipe dream. Still gotta shoot our shot though!

Pitching: Our bullpen probably needs a little boost (though we may have prospects that can help). Preston Claiborne and Connor Mullee look like they might be good value. Tim Mayza might be a good LOOG. Also I probably don't need to mention Chris Sale, Justin Verlander (who I'd probably pass on due to age), and Gerrit Cole but hey :v:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Here's our offseason strategy.

We will extend Balsley for 3 years. Burkhart is gone. We hired Matt Treanor to El Paso last year...is he our first choice for replacement? He fits the bill and did great in El Paso, although he had probably the best AAA lineup of all time. Alternatively, we can pursue a new hitting coach, but Treanor is on the hook for a poverty-level salary through 2023 so he's about as low risk as they come.

We will target a .500 record again, building fanbase and letting the young guys develop for a year. We will target bargains in the free agent market, focusing on rebuilding the bullpen, starting pitching, and possibly a SS either through a bargain trade or free agency. We will call up FTJ after a couple of weeks, because we're cruel and want to cost him millions.

HOWEVER

VOTE

There are two elite young-ish starting pitchers hitting the market this offseason: Chris Sale (30 years old) and Gerrit Cole (29 years old). Is there any interest in targeting either of them? We are probably looking at a 7-8 year deal in excess of 20m AAV for either, but either could be a HUGE asset when we finally do make our push, and guys like that don't hit the market every year.

Another interesting potential move: Whit Merrifield is on the trading block. He's loving good. He just slashed 326/401/501 while playing average defense at 2B and stealing 29 bags. He's also just entering arbitration, so he'll only cost 5-6mm. However, he's also 30 years old, because his career track is weird as gently caress. If we don't believe in Urias, we could probably swap the two straight up, and maybe even get something back along with Merrifield.

James Paxton is also on the block. We could get a year of him at a severe discount (~15mm) before free agency, with a plan to extend him. It'd save some money vs Sale or Cole, but we'd have to give up assets to get him, probably something relatively valuable. We have a LOT of trade chips available though.

rickiep00h posted:

LA TORTUGA

I feel like this guy should be a Padre For Life, what do you all think about a 10 year extension at 1m AAV?

How do you not love this face?

Note: this isn't meant as a joke, he's a solid backup catcher and a fan favorite, he's actually really drat valuable

bewbies fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 8, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Try to sign Cole. That's probably unpopular, but lock a dude in now given we know we're going to go for it within a year or two.

Also hell yes I already said Sign Astudillo For Life.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Target Cole first, Paxton second (dammit Mariners)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yeah, if all goes according to plan we'll be shooting for at least the wild card in 2021 so we might as well lock up a big piece beforehand. If we're gonna overpay, we might as well go for Sale unless we think his arm is going to explode this year.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ALL HAIL THE CUBE CATCHER

Who else is available as a hitting coach? Treanor would be perfectly fine to call up IMO but maybe there's a better, more major league "ready" guy that we can sign instead.

I don't think Urias will ever be as good as Whitley so I think a lot comes down to if we want to trade a 22 year old who will probably be acceptable at 2B at least until his (probably inexpensive) arb runs out for a 30 year old 2B that could be a perennial all-star, but we have to start paying him now because he's hitting arb this off-season? The one upside to his age is that if Whit starts breaking down we could just let him go because he's still on one year arb contracts for the next three seasons (unless we extend him).

For pitching, I'd go after Sale above Cole but I'd definitely try our best to get at least one (within reason). And we may as well kick the tires on Paxton as well, maybe the cost in prospects won't be terribly high.

I think with a couple big additions (and FTJ is one already, probably) we might be able to contend for a WC this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Cole

I like Sale's numbers, but Cole's arm has ~500 fewer innings on it. Sale also apparently turned into a pumpkin in 2019.

Whit

Seems like a good pick-up, especially if he keeps producing AND if he comes with some bonus guys. I'm not keen on Urias, but I'm also not keen on trading him straight up in this case. I'd still like to give him some time to get his hitting up to snuff.

Paxton

All for it; definitely if Cole falls through and/or Whit maybe falls through. If we can somehow land all three, I think we go from fringe WC contender to definite WC contender, but I'm not sure we beat the Dodgers. Another year on top of that, though, and I'm suddenly very happy.

LA TORTUGA

GIVE THIS MAN A CONTRACT

• Locked thread