Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

Scale. :laffo:

A man is 6 feet tall, a T-34 is 21 feet long, for a model T-34 to be in scale with a model man it should be three and a half mans long. Scale isn’t a thing in 40k because a Titan is exactly as tall as GW says it is. And that height varies to match narrative need all the time. Downsize the 40k Warlord (, Reaver, Warhound) to the size of a Castilian (, Crusader, Armiger) then make it look good.

It’s possible that making them look good at both “scales” would have been difficult but nothing in the designer interviews indicates that was even attempted.

:shrug:

Scale means things like the tiny door on the back of the warlord and other things to indicate size. Even if the titans were 25% larger to be the same size as a knight, they would look like poo poo as a knight because all the details would be the wrong size, or they would look like poo poo as a titan because the details would be knight sized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
They didn't need to talk about it in the interviews or attempt it because unlike you they arent a complete loving idiot and could tell that it would look like crap

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

Scale. :laffo:

A man is 6 feet tall, a T-34 is 21 feet long, for a model T-34 to be in scale with a model man it should be three and a half mans long. Scale isn’t a thing in 40k because a Titan is exactly as tall as GW says it is. And that height varies to match narrative need all the time. Downsize the 40k Warlord (, Reaver, Warhound) to the size of a Castilian (, Crusader, Armiger) then make it look good.

It’s possible that making them look good at both “scales” would have been difficult but nothing in the designer interviews indicates that was even attempted.

I wish you’d get banned from posting in TG.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

It is pretty impressive that all AT needs is a weapon kit or two and it is already a full, good game. Like, I am excited about getting an expansion or two at some point, but the game is already good.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I hope the new BFG is the same scale as AT

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
A knight is a knight and a warlord is a warlord, why would they sell a model to use as a proxy. A Warlord is not a knight.
https://twitter.com/MobRulesJon/status/1028370752179986432

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Hencoe posted:

A knight is a knight and a warlord is a warlord, why would they sell a model to use as a proxy. A Warlord is not a knight.
https://twitter.com/MobRulesJon/status/1028370752179986432

It's not really a proxy, it's a dual-use model you can use under two rule-sets. You allow the use in 40k to incent the AT rules. Their use as a 40k Knight is an incubator to promote future AT development.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
dude it's not as though people don't understand what you are saying, they do understand and they think it's stupid

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Schadenboner posted:

It's not really a proxy, it's a dual-use model you can use under two rule-sets. You allow the use in 40k to incent the AT rules. Their use as a 40k Knight is an incubator to promote future AT development.

They have different weapons, its a counts as, a proxy, knights dont have a belicosa volcano cannon, or an apocalypse missile launcher, or a sunfury annihilator, warlords dont have rapid fire battle cannons or reaper chainswords.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Moola posted:

I hope the new BFG is the same scale as AT

That's crazy, the ships would be the size of ping pong tables!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You could make them float (which they should from all the sci-fi-author-grasp-of-scale values they've ever given) and motorise them to play on a boating lake.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

moths posted:

That's crazy, the ships would be the size of ping pong tables!

they can double as use for actual tables tho

e;

goatface posted:

You could make them float (which they should from all the sci-fi-author-grasp-of-scale values they've ever given) and motorise them to play on a boating lake.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

goatface posted:

Based on the suffocation rules in Rogue Trader it's possible that BFG uses ship-of-the-line rules because space in 40k is actually full of the Luminiferous Ether people used to think space was filled with rather than vacuum?

I mean, Chambers/Thorpe/Johnson almost certainly didn't think/realize they were doing that (what they were doing was putting 40k ships into a Napoleonic naval game) but in terms of figuring out the physics of the 40k universe based on observed behavior it does fit. Kipling's term would be a "just-so story" I think?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I hope the new BFG uses proper 3D rules and not silly out dated 2D rules

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Schadenboner posted:

Warhammer 40,000 is a representation of battles set in the 40k universe in heroic 28/32mm.

Adeptus Titanicus is a representation of battles set in the same universe in 8mm.

Having models be usable in both systems and scales needlessly confuses what the models are supposed to represent in the universe.

It’s a bad idea.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
they should put numbers on all the minitures so if you run out of dice you can just roll them instead

also dice should come with slotta bases so you can use them as your army if you run out of minis

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Moola posted:

they should put numbers on all the minitures so if you run out of dice you can just roll them instead

also dice should come with slotta bases so you can use them as your army if you run out of minis

Prove this wrong. You can’t.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
The big problem with AT is that it relies on fairly complex kits that pretty much have to be painted in sub-assemblies for a good result, along with a new scale of terrain that few will have and core models being drip-fed over the first couple of months. That means there's no real momentum going to get people playing the game. Despite quite a few people at my local club buying in on day 1 I've yet to see a single game arranged because everyone wants to finish painting their Warlords before assembling them, and many are working on other projects first.
Compare it to Blood Bowl or Necromunda where you can have your full team assembled in one evening and play on a pre-made gameboard, there was a lot more activity from day 1.

I think it can work with this slow burn start if GW have the right releases prepared to follow up. Say if they drop the Titandeath expansion around xmas with shiny new stuff like Cerastus Knights, Chaos titans or psi-titans. Then at the same time release a 'getting started' maniple boxed set of the core titans that gives a balanced starting force for under £100.

Moose-Alini posted:

Those are great. They look super sharp. Did you do paint before putting on armor? I hate doing that but don’t know if it’s too frustrating to paint it up all assembled. All my warlords are out together with piles of armor at their feet.

Thanks. Yeah I learned from my Warlords and this time left as many of the armour parts as possible on the sprue, clipping them out when it was time to paint the metal trim. It's much easier than having a big pile of bits to organise.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
drat that’s a much better idea! Leaving them on the sprue to paint, I’ll definitely do that on the rest.

Moose-Alini fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 17, 2018

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

xtothez posted:

Despite quite a few people at my local club buying in on day 1 I've yet to see a single game arranged because everyone wants to finish painting their Warlords before assembling them, and many are working on other projects first.

These are good people.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They should release Ork models for AT

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Guy Goodbody posted:

They should release Ork models for AT

They are working on the rules for them and they will be the first xenos race added.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I agree that AT will be a slow burn game. We'll start seeing events and incredibly painted forces on superb tables around Christmas.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Schadenboner posted:

I cannot imagine that anyone can be this dumb in good faith, so please stop your relentless shitposting.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/kill_team_errata_en-1.pdf

So, any notable changes, aside from Guardsmen and Marines getting medics, and Sarges getting power fists?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

JcDent posted:

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/kill_team_errata_en-1.pdf

So, any notable changes, aside from Guardsmen and Marines getting medics, and Sarges getting power fists?

DG Flail of Corruption being damage 1 is a good thing.

leongzanfa
Aug 20, 2012
Hi guys, is there a thread just for kill team or is this it?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

leongzanfa posted:

Hi guys, is there a thread just for kill team or is this it?

It’s here and in the 40k thread sometimes

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
The most significant change is likely that comms can't buff themselves anymore.

leongzanfa
Aug 20, 2012

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

It’s here and in the 40k thread sometimes

Thanks!

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?
Big change is that if you fall back on a turn you’ve got the initiative the guy you ran away from is flat footed now. He can’t just charge back into you.

Also Necron’s Tesla now proccs on a natural 6 instead of a 6+, so all of those -1 to hit modifiers won’t dumpster the weapon anymore.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Merton Blask posted:

Big change is that if you fall back on a turn you’ve got the initiative the guy you ran away from is flat footed now. He can’t just charge back into you.

That's how it always worked, this is just a clarification.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Necromunda is my excuse to put different heads on GSC for insta conversions:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoT6pKZHn8f/

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

JcDent posted:

Necromunda is my excuse to put different heads on GSC for insta conversions:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoT6pKZHn8f/

That actually really fits well, I have a bunch of those extra heads I could use for that

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
My shop is currently running the Kill Team campaign kit GW put out. I'm having fun, but I'm constantly surprised how many players think moving forward on the first turn against Harlequins is a good idea.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is there any textual evidence behind the "Delaque are GSCs" fan theory or is it just 1d4channery?

I guess that question is probably made somewhat harder since the GSC itself went into the long, sad period of semi-canonical neglect during most of the later half of the first Necromundian period.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Is there any textual evidence behind the "Delaque are GSCs" fan theory or is it just 1d4channery?

I guess that question is probably made somewhat harder since the GSC itself went into the long, sad period of semi-canonical neglect during most of the later half of the first Necromundian period.

Never heard of it before now, so it's just one 1d4channery.

Just like some rear end in a top hat making up a theory that Asterion Moloch is actually a Custodes because he fights with a spear or something.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Bald = Genestealers is probably the extent of the theory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I mean, yeah. But that's before the coggies went all Anphelion on poor old Hive Secundus?