Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh never mind I’m an idiot I’m watching now. What particularly dumb poo poo did I miss?

They looted a seed bank in a museum, which involved a couple "particularly dumb poo poo" set pieces that went nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The king is stealing carol from daryl!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Kid is mega dead now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lmao people this dumb should be still be alive.

Almost like it’s only a dozen walkers and you could have just killed them like they time you killed like 300 of them.

How can this show still be this loving bad.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Look old lady we were trying to save some useless wagon when we should of just ditched the car seats in the good wagon.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Old folk rebellion is brewing.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
My favorite part about the glass thing is that they show Darryl go around the glass at the beginning but they don't use that route for the canoe and plow

Also why the gently caress didn't they focus on keeping the wagon in line with the frame supporting the glass

The "wagons" they made looked so loving awkward and big rear end death traps since they didn't have any protection from anything

Also why wouldn't they just pull a Hyundai Santa Fe for a better ride and braking ability and superior looks?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Jesus I just realized how dumb that canoe was

Zero utility and they forgot to grab the artisinal oars

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

moist turtleneck posted:

Also why wouldn't they just pull a Hyundai Santa Fe for a better ride and braking ability and superior looks?

Factoris shut down 2 years ago and the team who created it are already zombies.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It would be funny if like zombies was just an americas thing and japan is still shipping us cars.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Assassination attempt. With no gun, knife, crowbar, any semblance of martial arts training

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Old man dead kids father! If it wasn't for you snooping kids!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They’re flying through this sub story which was much better in the books. Because it revolved Carl.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Ah nice I was hoping Gregory would get an 18th chance

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Maggie owns.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Yo it takes a lot longer than that to hang someone if their neck didn't break

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lmao that’s the best photo of Hershel they could use?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Hey they atleast used a good one, .

Maybe they could have been tasteful and used an actual photo of the actor and not the role. Hes been dead on the show for years.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Once we got past the obligatory "Characters must be as stupid as necessary in order to create tension that everyone can predict the outcome of so it's not tense" scene with the wagon, the episode was only half bad. They spent time with characters, didn't pull any timeframe shenanigans, and the plot actually progressed. So, like it wasn't good tv, but it was better than the last 2 or 3 seasons. Kang might actually be good for the show, Gimple managed to gently caress Fear the Walking Dead over immeasurably, but maybe he was so busy doing character assassinations on Fear that Angela Kang got to put some effort in.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
uhhh why are they taking old lovely stuff from the museum when Van Lady gave them detailed prints of basically anything they would need

also it felt really weird for gregory to be doing so much conniving in a single episode

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

moist turtleneck posted:

also it felt really weird for gregory to be doing so much conniving in a single episode

In the comic it’s spread over 3-4 issues and is played opposite of a separate story involving Rick and at the end of each story you end up with two opposing conclusions. TV just mashed everything into 20 minutes.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

It would be funny if like zombies was just an americas thing and japan is still shipping us cars.

In Z-Nation, Mexico is completely fine cause the US built the wall and ended up closing themselves in and killing themselves lol

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Tenzarin posted:

And amazon prime drones are still shipping me dog food and laundry detergent on my subscriptions.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Wagons are literally stone age technology. We learned "stick wheels to flat boards" before we even domesticated horses to drag them instead of ourselves. Our heroes are literally so stupid they had to steal a probably non-functional display rather than use all the spare hardware and materials lying around to make a dozen themselves. Just take the wheels off all the now gasless (except for gas being infinite) cars lying around and lay something flat across. If you absolutely need a fancy passenger carriage just remove the engine, electronics, etc from a junker and sit in those comfy modern seats while the horses pull it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tenzarin posted:

Nothing that interesting will ever be in this show.

Have the characters tried using Ham radios yet in the comics?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
drat, this show still doesn't have the budget for CGI spiders.

Gregory's death was immensely satisfying.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

galagazombie posted:

Wagons are literally stone age technology. We learned "stick wheels to flat boards" before we even domesticated horses to drag them instead of ourselves. Our heroes are literally so stupid they had to steal a probably non-functional display rather than use all the spare hardware and materials lying around to make a dozen themselves. Just take the wheels off all the now gasless (except for gas being infinite) cars lying around and lay something flat across. If you absolutely need a fancy passenger carriage just remove the engine, electronics, etc from a junker and sit in those comfy modern seats while the horses pull it.

Yeah the wagon thing pissed me off too. There are tens of housands of small flatbed utility trailers in Georgia.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Well then. That was pretty good. Actually, to my interests, that was kind of great. I am 100% into what this episode was about.

For a bunch of seasons this show was about survival against a hostile world. 8 seasons of it I guess. 8 loving years. Zombies and assholes kept loving with our heroes, who just needed to learn how to fight harder and kick more rear end.

We're done with that bullshit. The show is now about post apocalyptic politics in a greatly reduced small scale world trying to rebuild. That is what I'm into. Bring on the farms and the windmills, raiding museums for heirloom seeds. That's the good stuff! But people are still people. Sanctuary has a revanchist fascist problem, and that makes perfect sense! They lost a war and they're starving now. Folks are helping out, but you can get why malcontents would scrawl fascist graffiti glorifying their brutal past. Hilltop's doing great comparatively, but that doesn't mean it's free from strife and with someone like Gregory rabble rousing of course they'll begrudge any aid to those murderous assholes in Sanctuary.

The war itself was boring as hell to me and super drawn out, but it was all worth it for this. What does Rick do when he's on top? How do you take this situation and create lasting peace and prosperity?

This is when important and relevant questions about human nature get asked, and actually answered with various levels of brutality and compassion. This isn't about how best to kick rear end, this is about how best to live. I don't know that the answers will be good, but the questions and the discussion are fantastic!

I've read the comic, I know this will be derailed before the end of the season, but for just this one episode at least, and hopefully for a few episodes, this show is exactly what I want out of a post apocalyptic drama.

If anyone's ever seen the old 70s BBC post-apocalyptic drama Survivors, this felt very much like a modern episode of that, in a very good way. (Let's forget about the decidedly meh 2008 reboot.)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

galagazombie posted:

Wagons are literally stone age technology. We learned "stick wheels to flat boards" before we even domesticated horses to drag them instead of ourselves. Our heroes are literally so stupid they had to steal a probably non-functional display rather than use all the spare hardware and materials lying around to make a dozen themselves. Just take the wheels off all the now gasless (except for gas being infinite) cars lying around and lay something flat across.

They literally had this.

In the episode.

This was a thing they had already built--modern car tires on a wooden wagon. But good thing they got the Superior Conestoga!

Rick: "This here wagon...this was what settled 'murica. It is practical! Big wooden wheels! Can go anywhere better than modern tires!"

*gets stuck in mud*

If they had been smart, they would have gone to the Library of Congress to get books on how to build poo poo. I'm sure there are detailed how-tos on building everything from trebuchets to Conestogas to telegraph machines. But no, let's just haul giant full size versions of plows and canoes SO WE CAN REPLICATE THEM. :downs:

Besides that dumb poo poo though, I didn't hate the episode. Gregory needed to die, so it was good to see Maggie get some balls. I mean, I don't even understand why there would be any waffling--she was 100% justified. Michonne is also dead on about them needing an actual govt and constitution. Too bad they couldn't have just...you know...got the actual Constitution while they were 4 blocks away from the National Archives.

Even though the arc this season will probably be RICK IS WRONG AND A lovely LEADER AND HAS TO DIE I think he actually was working as a good leader here. It's nice to see him large and in charge in peacetime.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’m surprised nobody got dysentery and died crossing that horrible mud river.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
TWD clearly exists in an universe quite different to our own where things like dysentery and salmonella don't exist, otherwise they'd have all died long long ago

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Astroman posted:

If they had been smart, they would have gone to the Library of Congress to get books on how to build poo poo. I'm sure there are detailed how-tos on building everything from trebuchets to Conestogas to telegraph machines. But no, let's just haul giant full size versions of plows and canoes SO WE CAN REPLICATE THEM. :downs:

Even better would have been the patent office/archives. Maybe those are also housed in the LoC, but that'd have been my first target. Patents straight up show how to build stuff.

Those kid's parents were annoying, but the mom was right that her kid died for nothing. And the broken plow that fell apart like it was a pile of sticks made me laugh. Their big haul was a wagon that'd have been bolted together to keep it from disintegrating, a canoe that was too shallow to be useful, and a plow that broke when dropped 2 feet. Well and the seeds, the one good idea in the run.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Ego-bot posted:

Captain Vane from Black Sails is on this show now.

Okay, that settles it - I am NEVER even hatewatching this poo poo again. Just the play-by-play of this thread will suffice.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Where did they manage to find a herd of domesticated horses that hadn't become zombie food yet? Pretty impressive stuff.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

King Ezekiel is as good as dead. He got kissed by carol, just like the godfather, its a death sentence.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

King Ezekiel is as good as dead. He got kissed by carol, just like the godfather, its a death sentence.

Yeah I think her and Daryl getting together is inevitable.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

BonoMan posted:

Yeah I think her and Daryl getting together is inevitable.

They have been building that up for a while and never went for it. But also if they do get them together, Daryl will die too... Because that's the way it works. Carol kisses you and you're next to be written off the show.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

I'm sure it's been mentioned. Nothing encapsulates the stupidity of the show more than the 'devolution of man' scene.

It was a funny visual gag, but no. The show had to linger on it. Then, as if that wasn't enough, they then explain it.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm glad trash woman is helpful now at least

Maybe they should explore an ancient Walmart next and get an actual good canoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Astroman posted:

Didn't a group of wandering hipsters trade Maggie a magical Tome of Civilization-Building Tools Instructions in exchange for some food and dank vinyl LPs last season?