Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

B+ is considered a borderline score, anything below that is bad. And Cinemascore is far from meaningless it’s been the most reliable predictor of a movie’s overall box office performance for decades now.

Rotten Tomatoes is mostly useless, it can in some instances gauge if a movie will over perform or under performing on opening weekend, but most times it’s useless for measuring any kind of box office performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For some reason the Brad Pitt crime drama Killing Them Softly got an F Cinemascore.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, Cinemascore is honestly one of the better ways to judge these things if you get used to the gonzo way the ratings work, considering that they poll people leaving the theater, it's not self-selecting at all.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anything ever get a bad CinemaScore other than horror movies? Even good horror movies tend to get "F" don't they?

I think CinemaScore (like Rotten Tomatoes audience scores, though for different reasons) are basically meaningless, because people change their minds once time has elapsed from seeing the movie. The only way to take the temperature of what an audience thinks of a movie is to keep your ear to the ground and have a look at what people are saying and what the tone and tenor of the discussion is. That's what I do.

This is honestly the worst way to do this. Movie discussion is too polarized these days and varies way too much on where you're looking.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

First Class is a good movie.

It is but like it didn’t do great money and was really front loaded. And to that point had the lowest final domestic box office of any X-Men movie. So the Cinemascore was right on with its box office prediction.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

For some reason the Brad Pitt crime drama Killing Them Softly got an F Cinemascore.

Didn't that film come under fire for not having any women in the main cast or something?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Audiences sometimes rethink their opinion on a movie and would give it a lower score if asked again. Nobody’s sitting at home analyzing Venom and upgrading it to an A.

The trailers made it look like it had more action than it did.

Misleading genres is one good way to get a low score.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

First Class was such a failure they only made three sequels.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Teenage Fansub posted:

dofp was dope

the rest are all bad

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah. Look at Aronofsky’s Mother! for a good example of just that. It was marketed as a thriller/horror and turned out being a convoluted biblical allegory. Audiences were not happy. Also it was a bad film on top of that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

it was a bad film on top of that.

Your Mother!'s a bad film!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Audiences sometimes rethink their opinion on a movie and would give it a lower score if asked again. Nobody’s sitting at home analyzing Venom and upgrading it to an A.

The trailers made it look like it had more action than it did.

Misleading genres is one good way to get a low score.

I suppose some people could also have had a bad opinion of the movie seeing as how it ends with Brad Pitt cold bloodily murdering the main character, who up to that point had been portrayed as kind of a dopey gently caress up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Killing Them Softly is a perfectly ok movie. Unless you saw the advertising for it. In which can see why you’d come out of that film disappointed. The trailers advertised a movie a that didn’t exist.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
During Mark Ruffalo's censored Avengers 4 spoiler bit on Fallon he apparently called it "The Last Avenger."

Makes it very symmetrical with The First Avenger but I'm not sure I buy it being the actual title.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 7, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Blurst Avenger

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

still anticipating it being endgame or infinity gauntlet

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I loving hate Venom in the comics, but I really liked the movie. I feel the same way about Deadpool actually.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Soul Glo posted:

still anticipating it being endgame or infinity gauntlet

Infinity Boogaloo 2: The Legend of Thanos's Gold.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Endgame would make way more sense

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

the only reason i think gauntlet is because zoe saldana called it that during production in an interview, coulda just been a working title tbf

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Infinity Skirmish

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Infinity Status Quo Ante Bellum.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Avengers: House of M and the M stands for Man, I hope Cap doesn't die :(

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Rhyno posted:

First Class is a good movie.

I gotta say, I wasn't impressed with it, but I haven't seen DoFP yet, so maybe that improves it? I felt like the action scenes were good, but all the stuff that was there to get to them was pretty bad, plus as I was watching the final scene I kept on thinking that there's no way things would have gone like they did in real life if the Cuban Missile Crisis actually went down as shown.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

catlord posted:

I gotta say, I wasn't impressed with it, but I haven't seen DoFP yet, so maybe that improves it? I felt like the action scenes were good, but all the stuff that was there to get to them was pretty bad, plus as I was watching the final scene I kept on thinking that there's no way things would have gone like they did in real life if the Cuban Missile Crisis actually went down as shown.

dofp is my favorite xmen movie and probably my favorite non-mcu comic book/superhero movie?

definitely worth watching.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
First Class is overrated. Days of Future Past is actually really good. The scene where Charles talks to Charles is powerful. The ending is sweet. First Class as a cool first half and then a back half that sinks it.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Hey, Venom was...good?

Not a perfect movie but it was in the "so-so, I might watch again if it ends on Netflix". The first half was quite boring and was I starting to regret watching it, but then things go nuts out of sudden and it was loving fun.

Is it my rotten brain, or does Venom had a crush on Eddie? He makes out with him and then goes like "I'm staying in this weirdo planet because of youuuuuuu!"

Also, his "anti-superhero/superhero" speech at the end was loving cheesy and hilarious. Like he was trying so hard. :lol:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Desperado Bones posted:

Hey, Venom was...good?

Not a perfect movie but it was in the "so-so, I might watch again if it ends on Netflix". The first half was quite boring and was I starting to regret watching it, but then things go nuts out of sudden and it was loving fun.

Is it my rotten brain, or does Venom had a crush on Eddie? He makes out with him and then goes like "I'm staying in this weirdo planet because of youuuuuuu!"

Also, his "anti-superhero/superhero" speech at the end was loving cheesy and hilarious. Like he was trying so hard. :lol:

It is text that Venom and Eddie do love each other as a horrible codependent relationship

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Sort of? I'm not sure I'd call them sequels. They literally vivisected half the cast of First Class (including, basically, the entire titular "First Class") in the next film and retooled it into a Wolverine vehicle vehicle like the first 3 movies. That's as close to a full reboot as you can get without jettisoning Jennifer Lawrence.

DoFP was real good, though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just saw Venom, and I liked it. It’s a REAL slow burn until Eddie gets the symbiote, and then it’s off the wall and I had a blast. The Eddie/Venom dialogue was great, and the action was largely varied and clever. The end fight was a little “eh” but I didn’t mind. The mid-credits scene actually worked WAY better than I expected it to.

I’m a long-time fan of Venom from the comics, and I was super concerned that cutting Spider-Man’s relationship out of the equation was going to cripple the character, because I think that’s one of the most interesting parts of Venom and what sets him apart from the rest of Spidey’s rogues gallery. But they made it work, and I’m okay with it.

I was also okay with it being PG13, and I’m not sure that an outright R rating would have benefited the movie that much. Like, you could still tell that Venom was wrecking people and that people were dying, and I’m not sure that I needed to see full-on dismemberment and buckets of blood to convey that Venom was steamrolling people and they weren’t getting back up.

Also Days or Future Past is awesome and easily my favorite X-Men movie.
I’m of two minds about it, though. The ending is perfect and I’d have been absolutely okay with that being the end of the franchise and them not making any more X-Men movies, but at the same time, ‘Logan’ is fantastic.... and it kinda shits all over the ending of DoFP.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

I really like Punisher: War Zone

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Along with Soderbergh's Solaris remake and, most bizarrely, Altman's Dr T and the Women .

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Along with Soderbergh's Solaris remake and, most bizarrely, Altman's Dr T and the Women .

To be fair, that movie featured very little in fools being pitied and suckas being thrown helluva far.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
DoFP was good in the sense that it retconned the X-Men timeline in the most comics way ever, and I'd wish they ended it at that. It was hella imperfect but that ending made up for almost everything.

I also liked Venom. Tom Hardy carried the movie with his acting. Also hilarious how a film where heads are bitten off can still be given a PG-13 rating.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ZDar Fan posted:

I really like Punisher: War Zone

That movie is a loving masterpiece surpassed only by the first Blade movie. I'm still kinda salty they never kept using that actor as Frank.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

Infinity Boogaloo 2: The Legend of Thanos's Gold.

Thanos: The Hand of Fate

Schneider Heim posted:

DoFP was good in the sense that it retconned the X-Men timeline in the most comics way ever, and I'd wish they ended it at that. It was hella imperfect but that ending made up for almost everything.

Between DoFP and possibly using the Time Stone in Infinity War 2, I'm glad superhero movies have come far enough that they're including timeline retcons now. :v:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jiro posted:

That movie is a loving masterpiece surpassed only by the first Blade movie. I'm still kinda salty they never kept using that actor as Frank.

He was really good but Jon Bernthal is probably the best casting ever for the role so I can deal. Would have liked to see the War Zone guy get to do another movie though.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Jiro posted:

At least he gets to play Volstag for a three movies.

I'm also a huge fan of war zone.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hellboy had an exclusive sizzle reel at NYCC and it sounds real good

quote:

The Hellboy panel at New York Comic Con unveiled a two-minute con-exclusive sizzle reel to the delight of the crowd. It gave us our first look at Harbour’s Hellboy—who immediately sets himself apart from Ron Perlman’s original rendition. While Perlman’s Hellboy was gruff and worn down with age and experience, Harbour’s feels younger, impetuous, and not up for anybody’s poo poo. For example, one of the first shots we see—after a glimpse of him walking through a large cavern toward Excalibur, which is a key part of the Wild Hunt storyline being used for the film—was him screaming at a police officer who shot at him after he arrived at the scene of a mass murder.

“Hey, I’m on your side!” Hellboy yelped, practically jumping up and down with stubborn fury.

As Billy Idol’s “Mony Mony” pumped in the background, Hellboy emerged as the powerful, dangerous, and fully coiffed new member of B.P.R.D. (Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense)—much to the delight of Alice Monaghan (Sasha Lane) and the chagrin of Ben Daimio (Daniel Dae Kim). He blew bad guys’ heads clean off, then ate the shotgun shells (basically confirming that it’ll get an R-rating). He smoked and smirked. He rode on horseback and kicked people in the face. He even faced down Nimue the Blood Queen (Milla Jovovich), who’s rocking a sweet crown of black branches. Hellboy was an unstoppable, and hilarious, force. And Harbour sold every second of the drat thing.

Then, it closed out with Hellboy emerging from a hole in the ground—horns outstretched, flaming sword in hand, and a crown of fire on his head. It was the shot that made the crowd lose its collective poo poo.

During the panel, Mignola and Harbour emphasized how this version of Hellboy is much closer to the original comics. They remarked on how much they love and respect Guillermo del Toro’s original series, which Mignola said had more of a “fairy tale” quality to them, but that they were going for more of a horror feel this time around (with some comedy thrown in for good measure, after all, it’s Hellboy).

Also:
https://twitter.com/DavidKHarbour/status/1048690262854316032

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

amigolupus posted:

Thanos: The Hand of Fate

Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

zoux posted:

Hellboy had an exclusive sizzle reel at NYCC and it sounds real good

Also:
https://twitter.com/DavidKHarbour/status/1048690262854316032

Omg this needs to be happen.

• Locked thread