Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

morallyobjected posted:

if you know what kind of door it is, a truth-speaking door and a lie-speaking door are equally useful

Only if you stick entirely to yes or no questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

morallyobjected posted:

if you know what kind of door it is, a truth-speaking door and a lie-speaking door are equally useful

He wouldn't have to explain it to every new customer, though.

Skwirl posted:

Only if you stick entirely to yes or no questions.

Let's extend it to binary choices and I agree.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

cant cook creole bream posted:

He wouldn't have to explain it to every new customer, though.

I would make a sign

cant cook creole bream posted:

Let's extend it to binary choices and I agree.

Actually I realized there are almost as many ways to tell the truth without telling someone what they actually want to know as there are to tell a lie so it's kind of a wash.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Worksafe Oglaf, best Oglaf!

I watch entirely too much Salvage Dawgs and Barnwood Builders.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wasn't the point of 24 hour comic to have 24 pages?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

At the start, sure. By hour 20 I guess you might have a different opinion.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The full thing just stops at page 16 as far as I can tell.

Also the author is a "queertoonist" and for some reason that phrase is like nails on a chalkboard

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, assuming the doors are equally cagey, "hey truth door, where are the diamonds buried" and "hey lie door, where aren't the diamonds buried" should get you the same answer.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean, assuming the doors are equally cagey, "hey truth door, where are the diamonds buried" and "hey lie door, where aren't the diamonds buried" should get you the same answer.

I dunno, liar could still respond with "What diamonds? The diamonds weren't buried."

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
"In dirt"
"Under other diamonds"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
A nice Tomb of Horrors reference (don't put your hand in the demon's mouth).

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

”What are the longitudinal/latitudinal coordinates and depth at which the diamonds are buried” (presumably with qualifiers to specify which diamonds) gets you a much better result from a truth door than a lie door.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Elysiume posted:

”What are the longitudinal/latitudinal coordinates and depth at which the diamonds are buried” (presumably with qualifiers to specify which diamonds) gets you a much better result from a truth door than a lie door.

Wait, but wouldn’t “what aren’t the longiblah blah blah” get you an accurate answer from the lie door too?

I guess what I’m trying to say is I’d (probably naively) think they work equally as well based on exactly opposing input.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

burial posted:

Wait, but wouldn’t “what aren’t the longiblah blah blah” get you an accurate answer from the lie door too?

I guess what I’m trying to say is I’d (probably naively) think they work equally as well based on exactly opposing input.

Accurate? Sure. Useful? Not so much, when it could just give literally any other coordinates in the world

E: I might be too high to comprehend a child's riddle

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 02:11 on Oct 8, 2018

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Actually yeah, that’d work. If you ask where it isn’t, there’s only one location that’s false: where it is.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Elysiume posted:

Actually yeah, that’d work. If you ask where it isn’t, there’s only one location that’s false: where it is.

That’s what I was really awkwardly trying to convey. Thanks.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
But if you don't know which is which and you only get one question, you're still getting one set of coordinates for the treasure and one set of coordinates to death trap that might look like treasure. Assuming the doors are both lovely but stick to their gimmicks.

Or they could be clever and both lead to winning lotto tickets (because of the lottery curse, you see).

burial
Sep 13, 2002

OK, I somehow maybe invented this idea that we were doing a thought experiment about how to use the door for gain after you’d figured out for sure which one you ripped off its hinges and brought along for keeps.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

burial posted:

OK, I somehow maybe invented this idea that we were doing a thought experiment about how to use the door for gain after you’d figured out for sure which one you ripped off its hinges and brought along for keeps.

Oooooh, then yeah, it's just a matter of figuring out the right phrasing.

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

HPanda posted:

But if you don't know which is which and you only get one question, you're still getting one set of coordinates for the treasure and one set of coordinates to death trap that might look like treasure. Assuming the doors are both lovely but stick to their gimmicks.

Or they could be clever and both lead to winning lotto tickets (because of the lottery curse, you see).

The question is "what would the other door tell me to {lie door question variant}"

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Elysiume posted:

you could just ask it "what are some coordinates where diamonds aren't buried?"

if it's obligated to lie, it has to tell you where diamonds are. but it's true that it wouldn't be useful for finding any *specific* diamonds

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Why are we assuming these are all knowing doors? I would assume their knowledge is limited to the room they're in and the treasure they're guarding.

Unless I missed something and the plan is dig a hole in front of the doors and bury diamonds in it?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Len posted:

Unless I missed something and the plan is dig a hole in front of the doors and bury diamonds in it?

I can get behind this.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Just ask what color your loving boots are and be done with it

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's all a setup! Both doors are liars! Why design a trap that makes it easier for adventurers to steal your poo poo?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Skippy McPants posted:

It's all a setup! Both doors are liars! Why design a trap that makes it easier for adventurers to steal your poo poo?

It's a code enforcement thing.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

Truly, a treasure worth savoring for the colorblind.

EDIT: Oh god, but what if it's the wrong door?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Aztec posted:

That tells you which door lies, but not which leads to certain death so it doesn't really help in situ if you only get one question

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Oh right. Got caught up in the Lie/Truth thing and not the treasure thing

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Johnny Aztec posted:

Oh right. Got caught up in the Lie/Truth thing and not the treasure thing

Do not invite this man on your Citadel of Dismay looting adventures

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Kennel posted:

A nice Tomb of Horrors reference (don't put your hand in the demon's mouth).

The thought of someone taking furniture from the Tomb of Horrors reminds me of a fun fact. In the original version of it, there’s a very big door made of Adamantine, the hardest and most durable metal in the game. The idea is that the players won’t be able to smash through it to get at whatever’s behind, they have to solve the puzzle to open it.

The thing about Adamantine is that it’s very valuable. After all, it is the hardest and most durable metal. Quite sought after for armor and weapons and such. So it turns out that door is the most valuable item in the entire tomb. If you can figure out a way to detach and make off with the incredibly heavy door, you’re better off stealing it and selling it than actually bothering to progress beyond it. I think it’s worth billions of gold if you take the whole thing.

In later versions, the door is made of mundane metal enchanted to have the properties of Adamantine, but it reverts back to iron or whatever if you remove it from the tomb.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ariong posted:

The thought of someone taking furniture from the Tomb of Horrors reminds me of a fun fact. In the original version of it, there’s a very big door made of Adamantine, the hardest and most durable metal in the game. The idea is that the players won’t be able to smash through it to get at whatever’s behind, they have to solve the puzzle to open it.

The thing about Adamantine is that it’s very valuable. After all, it is the hardest and most durable metal. Quite sought after for armor and weapons and such. So it turns out that door is the most valuable item in the entire tomb. If you can figure out a way to detach and make off with the incredibly heavy door, you’re better off stealing it and selling it than actually bothering to progress beyond it. I think it’s worth billions of gold if you take the whole thing.

In later versions, the door is made of mundane metal enchanted to have the properties of Adamantine, but it reverts back to iron or whatever if you remove it from the tomb.

That would be a huge bitch move in any campaign except the Tomb of Horrors.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Johnny Aztec posted:

They're Rrrrrrrrrrrrr-rrr-rrr-rrrrRrrRRRRRRROYAL BLUE!!!!!!

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

I need more of these, stat.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Please, everyone knows that the official visual representation of Aphex Twin's music is that loving face.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Ariong posted:

I imagine this was the main topic of discussion at several meetings between the lich who designed the dungeon, the lich's accountant, and the engineers that built it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

null_pointer posted:

I need more of these, stat.

Yeah I hope there's a bunch of these, I'm really digging this alternate universe where Charlie Brown has finally decided to stop taking from those rear end in a top hat kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA