Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iGaNVqTzkI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
European dashcam compilation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2oRn_bqVlI

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
This quarter's No Prisoners comp of bikes eating poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0gEpBDTw4w

:nms: :nws: There is no quality control. About half the clips are of riders going around gentle curves and just laying their bikes down, lots of speeders plowing into cars making left / U turns, and every once in a while a child gets thrown under a bus' tires :( I still think these are worth a watch to anyone who rides a bike, or if you want to better understand where and how a catastrophic motorcycle fuckup can happen to/on your car.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

:nms: :nws: There is no quality control. About half the clips are of riders going around gentle curves and just laying their bikes down, lots of speeders plowing into cars making left / U turns, and every once in a while a child gets thrown under a bus' tires :( I still think these are worth a watch to anyone who rides a bike, or if you want to better understand where and how a catastrophic motorcycle fuckup can happen to/on your car.

It's not a QC thing, that's just what NP is. It shows that sometimes dumb poo poo just happens, and that sometimes it leads to gory, painful death.

You should come to a CA NP online watch party

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I pulled this more as a test of my dashcam's night quality (verdict: meh), but it was also a pretty impressive scene in its own right. Enjoy a few minutes of the new Electric Six while leisurely driving across downtown Dallas on a quiet Sunday night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvmn31Kq1Lo

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Takes No Damage posted:

I pulled this more as a test of my dashcam's night quality (verdict: meh), but it was also a pretty impressive scene in its own right. Enjoy a few minutes of the new Electric Six while leisurely driving across downtown Dallas on a quiet Sunday night

anyone else getting a high pitched buzz/whine from this?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lone Goat posted:

anyone else getting a high pitched buzz/whine from this?

Yeah but it's hard to hear with my tinnitus.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's in the source, probably electric interfere of some kind. My camera's just plugged in to the port under the dash, I doubt it's particularly well isolated.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

I like the guy at 52:56 who really shouldn't be on a R6, and probably also not speeding that fast on the road, but doesn't even attempt to turn the bike instead of crashing.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

Every god damned night it rains, there's another wreck on Woodall Rodgers. I've never hated such a small stretch of freeway more than I do THAT small stretch of freeway.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tex Avery posted:

Every god damned night it rains, there's another wreck on Woodall Rodgers. I've never hated such a small stretch of freeway more than I do THAT small stretch of freeway.

Don't you mean every other hour?

That's one of the biggest things I don't miss about Dallas - Woodall. Traffic in Austin is hell in its own way (especially 360 and 620 west of 183, those are clusterfucks during rush hour :fuckoff:), but whoever designed that stretch of tunnel needs to be strung up by their sack.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 16, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't know how these people got driver's licenses, we don't usually allow infants to drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ3JnxkZxJg

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Chunjee posted:

It just took a tap to flip that SUV; hot drat.

Almost any SUV or CUV will roll the moment it gets spun sideways. Their natural state is upside down.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sagebrush posted:

I don't know how these people got driver's licenses, we don't usually allow infants to drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ3JnxkZxJg

disappointed in your lack of conviction here

never mind, read the description on youtube

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I came here to ask if the G1W is still the best cam and saw this:

VelociBacon posted:

Just to play devil's advocate - would your insurance company have the ability (legally) to force you to disclose video to them under any circumstances? Just thinking of situations where you happen to be speeding or something at the same time someone merges into your car and the insurance company trying to pin stuff on you after seeing the camera when you bring your vehicle in for inspection after making the claim.
I'm :lol:ing pretty hard if y'all think any insurance claims adjuster has that much free time or cares that much if you were speeding. The joke in my branch is that the biggest perk is that you only have one if you're not at fault.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

I came here to ask if the G1W is still the best cam and saw this:

I'm :lol:ing pretty hard if y'all think any insurance claims adjuster has that much free time or cares that much if you were speeding. The joke in my branch is that the biggest perk is that you only have one if you're not at fault.

way more applicable in an actual lawsuit than in a normal claim process

You're right that an insurance adjuster gives no fucks. But the corporate lawyers for the other guy's insurance company trying to get out of a $1.5M liability for an accident involving multiple casualties absolutely does.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

way more applicable in an actual lawsuit than in a normal claim process

You're right that an insurance adjuster gives no fucks. But the corporate lawyers for the other guy's insurance company trying to get out of a $1.5M liability for an accident involving multiple casualties absolutely does.

I don't really see that being a factor unless there's a limits issue and if that's the case then you're already hosed.

Is there a consensus best dash cam for let's say anywhere to 50$. I kind of want to get one for my family members as a practical Christmas gift after having every other claim I've gotten assigned in the past year be a hit-skip driver or a word vs word claim.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

If you're in the US, Newegg has an Anker/Roav dashcam for $38 shipped right now.

I have the next model up, but mine uses the same image sensor (I think). Can't really go wrong with Anker.

The next model up (which I have) follows the A118/A119 body style, but has the same image sensor, and adds the ability to download videos over wifi using an app on a smartphone (pretty useless IMO, it's incredibly slow, but you can tweak a few settings that aren't available via the menu with the app). But the price shoots way up for that one.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 13, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

STR posted:

If you're in the US, Newegg has an Anker/Roav dashcam for $38 shipped right now.

I have the next model up, but mine uses the same image sensor (I think). Can't really go wrong with Anker.

The next model up (which I have) follows the A118/A119 body style, but has the same image sensor, and adds the ability to download videos over wifi using an app on a smartphone (pretty useless IMO, it's incredibly slow, but you can tweak a few settings that aren't available via the menu with the app). But the price shoots way up for that one.

I have this and it sucks rear end. IQ is in the toilet. My g1w was way better

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Eifert Posting posted:

I don't really see that being a factor unless there's a limits issue and if that's the case then you're already hosed.

Is there a consensus best dash cam for let's say anywhere to 50$. I kind of want to get one for my family members as a practical Christmas gift after having every other claim I've gotten assigned in the past year be a hit-skip driver or a word vs word claim.

Look up my previous posts in the thread, I've linked to an excellent $53 camera on Amazon. Have been using 2 of them for about a year now, not even a hint of problems. Gave away 2 more as presents also. I also linked to a video from that camera, if you'd like to see what the footage is like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue24ic6RdGc

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Nov 14, 2018

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Nothing super interesting, but someone tried to turn into me on the way to dinner tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv1ZCIsoMz0

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

fknlo posted:

Nothing super interesting, but someone tried to turn into me on the way to dinner tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv1ZCIsoMz0

Wasn't this your chance to rid yourself of your lease!?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Etrips posted:

Wasn't this your chance to rid yourself of your lease!?

Absolutely! Not worth rolling in the median though.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Looking for a good cam that also shoots rearview.

What do you guys think of this?
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07D9F1QP8/?coliid=IHFAZU3SQFGAH&colid=1TPGG7JN6XVQQ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Do you need two cameras spitting to the same video file simultaneusly? If not, and you don't need high quality, you can probably go with two cheaper units.

I picked up a pair of cheap cameras (look up AUUBC dash cams, there's some for $36/ea) and I've been running them front and back the last 2 years.

Video quality looks like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B1Zcx-IQBU

I did have a different camera before, had a better lense and shot clearer video, but these have lasted longer and were half the price.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

These are regarded as the best current value cams with decent reviews and comparisons. The top 3 front only and top 3 front/rear cams if you scroll down.
https://carcamcentral.com/guide/best-dash-cams-car-dvrs-black-boxes-of-2018

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrWOvNd4nwI

Our drivers worse than your drivers.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My Mobius dashcam is great except it can’t read license plates worth a drat. Are there any dash cams with good enough picture quality to pull plate numbers?

I had a situation where I needed to get the plate number off a dump truck and even right behind him I couldn’t read it clearly in full daylight.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Krispy Wafer posted:

My Mobius dashcam is great except it can’t read license plates worth a drat. Are there any dash cams with good enough picture quality to pull plate numbers?

I had a situation where I needed to get the plate number off a dump truck and even right behind him I couldn’t read it clearly in full daylight.

Shout them out. That's what I do. It's become part of my dash cam routine.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Krispy Wafer posted:

My G1W did it from almost all angles. My Roav only does it straight on when the stars are aligned.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Despite mine being older than this thread, it seems to pull UK plates off pretty darn good.

Maybe something is wrong with yours? Post a sample video.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

sharkytm posted:

Shout them out. That's what I do. It's become part of my dash cam routine.

I turned audio and GPS recording off on my cam to minimize the amount of incriminating info in recordings 👀

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Couldn't you just remove the audio from the video file before handing it to whoever?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

qsvui posted:

Couldn't you just remove the audio from the video file before handing it to whoever?

I imagine any crafty attorney would immediately question why you'd do that.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

4th and 5th amendment? Discovery goes only from prosecution to defense.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

Is there any way to tell if a video file didn't originally have audio vs. it was edited after the fact to remove all audio?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Craptacular posted:

Is there any way to tell if a video file didn't originally have audio vs. it was edited after the fact to remove all audio?

You could always strip the audio, upload it to youtube, and then throw the SD card in the ocean. They'd have a hard time proving in that case you didn't have audio. Unless your cam overlays stuff like audio mute on the screen.

Audio I'm not so worried about as GPS. My mini0906 has GPS in the base mount, which I wasn't overly enthusiastic about. It also had an issue where it would lock up and randomly stop recording. So I put kapton tape over the terminals and 1. no more gps, 2. doesn't lock up anymore.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Craptacular posted:

If examined by a highly paid investigator, yes. By anyone else, no.

chrisgt posted:

You could always strip the audio, upload it to youtube, and then throw the SD card in the ocean. They'd have a hard time proving in that case you didn't have audio. Unless your cam overlays stuff like audio mute on the screen.
The only time it will become important, when submitting evidence in court, and being called out on it. So basically if you commit vehicular manslaughter and trying to cover up yourself screaming "Die, racial slur, die" before plowing into a group of people.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 28, 2018

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I thought the audio concern was from some states having laws that make video recording in public legal but not necessarily audio recording...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

Despite mine being older than this thread, it seems to pull UK plates off pretty darn good.

Maybe something is wrong with yours? Post a sample video.

I'll try and pull the footage. It's possible I'm recording in 720p so I guess I need to boost that.

Geoj posted:

I thought the audio concern was from some states having laws that make video recording in public legal but not necessarily audio recording...?

There are all kinds of reasons not to do audio. That's one of them.

I can't recall what happened with that guy who recorded the valets trying to do poo poo in his sports car that had an aptly named valet mode turned on. I know he got some grief for posting the video.