Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'll real-talk you as well since I wasn't too far off from you at one point probably.

I was working in a dead-end job throughout college. Graduated, kept working there, needed a masters degree to get a tiny promotion. 

Decided I want to get into the tech industry, so I planned it out. Did research and my options were to take out more crippling student loan debt or get the government to train me and pick up the GI Bill...

I originally tried to go officer in the Navy (because I had a degree and read the warnings about enlisting with a degree--and the navy lets you choose your job as an officer, but the army does not [and the air force recruiters would never return my calls and were always out of the office]). My navy officer recruiter kind of dicked me around for almost a year and my packet got delayed in getting sent in until I aged out of the job I was trying to get. Hooray. 

I took a break for a bit, then went to the enlisted recruiters. Reversed here--Army enlistment lets you choose your MOS, but the other branches do not (iirc). I researched the jobs, made a list, and went in to see what was available. Got told that neither of the two I chose were open, so I said "Okay, I'll come back later."

I did. Eventually the job I was aiming for opened up, I did all the dumb pre-army crap, and signed up. I didn't ship for a few months afterwards and I wound up just not going to their stupid future soldier programs because I had a full time job and couldn't take 4 hours off to play football and practice marching around.

I was always open to re-enlisting or trying for green-to-gold (enlisted to officer program) if I found it agreeable, but from day 0 I was planning to do my 4 years and GTFO. First duty station sucked, second duty station was okay, but I decided that was enough of the taste for me so I turned down re-enlistment. Got multiple job offers from the contractors/civilians I had worked with over the few years and took a pretty great one. I'm doing similar stuff to what I did when I was in, but making a lot more and life is just so much more pleasant.

I got a lot out of my time in the military--contacts, training, certifications, a pretty drat expensive surgery for something the army didn't do to me, and some monthly pocket change for my broken parts that were from the army.

If you have a plan, constantly work toward it, and realize it's going to require a lot of effort and potentially put you through some serious misery and high stress, you can do your initial contract and come out ahead. If you join without a solid plan, you can wind up wasting years of your life, getting injured, and picking up no useful skills in return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Right now the enlistment shortfalls seem pretty high, i do do not know of officer side though. However, it seems like if you have planned to do it, now it is the time to make Army Recruiter your bitch, and get what you want.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Summadat grunt poo poo

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Summadat grunt poo poo

Life crippling injury?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Lastly, we all have tinnitus. ALL OF US. So sign on the line if you want to join the permanant EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE club.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i like that 'fill out your disability paperwork' was listed in those steps even if you somehow managed to do things 100% right

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

EBB posted:

Lastly, we all have tinnitus. ALL OF US. So sign on the line if you want to join the permanant EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE club.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i face korean fan death every night because of my tinnitus

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
This is true. Everyone I know has some kind of hearing damage.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

EBB posted:

This cannot be overstated.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

EBB posted:

What?
Huh?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
being able to understand the person sitting across from you in any environment louder than a library is overrated

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Vasudus posted:

being able to understand the person sitting across from you in any environment louder than a library is overrated

the best is when it hits you hard during an important conversation and you cringe unexpectedly

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R69eYznTIYA

yet another reason why this movie owned hard

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Hell yeah, love to lose hearing right in the human speech zone, git some!

Also that fun thing where tinnitus kicks in unexpectedly.

But your hearing readiness is a personal responsibility and if you all are half deaf, that’s because you’re irresponsible bad soldiers.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

The best part about the tinnittus is my medics STILL don’t have any goddamned earpro

They just never have the poo poo

Oh and my new smaj have a brief to the squadron before we set out for our current little 20 day field problem and said, and I quote “Were going to kick the asses of those airborne faggots!”

The SCO looked pretty mortified, which is a good way to start things.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Does anyone else have the thing where their hearing fades out, and then the ringing starts getting louder? Like loving around with two different volume sliders?

Follow-up: If yes, do you also get dizzy when it happens?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
You got that TBI?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Yes since my concussion in 4th grade

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EBB posted:

You can get that as a civilian, you don't need to enlist.

McNally posted:

Does anyone else have the thing where their hearing fades out, and then the ringing starts getting louder? Like loving around with two different volume sliders?

I get that, but I don't get dizziness. It happens most frequently (2-3 times a year) when I'm in bed going to sleep but that may just make it easier to notice.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Thump! posted:

The best part about the tinnittus is my medics STILL don’t have any goddamned earpro

They just never have the poo poo

Oh and my new smaj have a brief to the squadron before we set out for our current little 20 day field problem and said, and I quote “Were going to kick the asses of those airborne faggots!”

The SCO looked pretty mortified, which is a good way to start things.

That's bullshit. You can easily order it throught he medical supply and they are being lazy. I have a janitor's closet full of boxes and I literally hand them out like a fairy. I got three sizes and two manufactures. Any medic who says they don't have them is a lazy gently caress, or their PSG is a lazy gently caress. In addition, getting cheap active ear pro also isn't hard. I think the regular size, OD green Howard Leight active earpro muffs are a whopping 45 dollars and available for order from supply, and discretionary medical platoon supply can be in the tens of thousands of dollars. I am not super versed in the process if it is different elsewhere, but the current hearing conservation program in the Army is actually pretty good, and it's line medical platoons, or company level asshats who are the main stop point. My "hearing chain of command" in Army Europe is awesome, and as a group project we just got Invisios X5's to a lot of units without them even asking, but they go unused. In 2CR the response was like "no way we are gonna give these to joes, they are expensive", and some other units went full retard and made the joes sign for the expendable ear foams for them, causing no one to use them because of course they can't keep track of the loving foams, because their chain of command doesn't understand expendables versus durables.

(yeah I volunteered for the hearing conservation thing, it is really cool and it's sweet to take part in the change)

TLDR lots of people are fighting this good fight and there's a lot of promise, at least in USAREUR because I've taken part in it and in 173rd there's earpro coming out the rear end and nose right now. If nothing else, contact the Audiologist, usually a CPT or MAJ as the lowest, in your command, and explain what's happening. They have a lot of pull, and lots of magic tricks to make earpro appear.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 5, 2018

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
those are all long term symptoms of TBI fyi

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
As tankers hearing protection is completely optional everyone is deaf from day 2 onward anyway. I got funny looks wearing eyepro inside the bay when mechanics were groundstarting loving turbines in enclosed space. When I noted that hey, this building is way louder than live m9 range they Were like ”Oh, never realized it” and started wearing them too.

Ofc none of the mechanics do, so Ive seen 19-year old fresh outta basic tank mechanics fail hearing after less than 6 months in unit.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vasudus posted:

i like that 'fill out your disability paperwork' was listed in those steps even if you somehow managed to do things 100% right

Do you know anybody who left the service at 100%, physically?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
That and “tweak that didn’t seem bad” can turn into discovering months or years later that it might’ve been way more serious and long term.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Valtonen posted:

As tankers hearing protection is completely optional everyone is deaf from day 2 onward anyway. I got funny looks wearing eyepro inside the bay when mechanics were groundstarting loving turbines in enclosed space. When I noted that hey, this building is way louder than live m9 range they Were like ”Oh, never realized it” and started wearing them too.

Ofc none of the mechanics do, so Ive seen 19-year old fresh outta basic tank mechanics fail hearing after less than 6 months in unit.

In fairness, if someone told me they were wearing eyepro because it's loud I'd give them a funny look too.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

Do you know anybody who left the service at 100%, physically?

I'm not disagreeing with that part. I'm pointing out the humor in that "this will gently caress you up at least somewhat, so here's how to make sure you're comped" is totally mundane for all of us.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vasudus posted:

I'm not disagreeing with that part. I'm pointing out the humor in that "this will gently caress you up at least somewhat, so here's how to make sure you're comped" is totally mundane for all of us.

I know, imagine me smirking as I typed it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

McNally posted:

Yes to the first part, no to the dizziness. I find it most often only happens in one ear at a time. But it's like the room suddenly gets quieter and quieter (it's almost a physical, tactile sensation) and the EEEEEEEEEEE just raises in volume to fill the silence.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I actually don't hear the EEEEEEEEE sound, but whenever I'm in a place with the buzz of conversation (mall, stadium, restaurant, busy office) it feels like my ears are rattling like a blown speaker would if you tried to push too much bass through it.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
mawp

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Say again?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

EBB posted:

Yes to the first part, no to the dizziness. I find it most often only happens in one ear at a time. But it's like the room suddenly gets quieter and quieter (it's almost a physical, tactile sensation) and the EEEEEEEEEEE just raises in volume to fill the silence.

I wonder if the dizziness is anything to worry about.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's rehabilitative therapy that you can get for bouts of dizziness, depending on what the mechanism is that is triggering it. It's real quick, can probably get done in an hour and they'll teach you different exercises you can do if you get a spell of it so you don't have to come back.

My old client has some materials on this very thing that unfortunately are still in development so they're not out yet.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

EBB posted:

Yeah I get this once or twice a month generally. Usually the EEEEEEEEEEEEEE fades in from my left ear.

And the general inability to understand anything someone is saying if there is any appreciable background noise.

I was never in :negative:

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

cool go ahead an go back to active when we are about to go to war with:

-north korea
-china
-russia
-Venezuela

mattis will be fired after the midterm. its going to be a purge. he’ll shove john bolton into secdef

then the real fun starts

Well, gently caress. UQR gets submitted this week, that settles it.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Terrible Robot posted:

Yeah I get this once or twice a month generally. Usually the EEEEEEEEEEEEEE fades in from my left ear.
I've had that since long before I ever touched a firearm, I think it's a normal body quirk that people don't bother to mention much. This tinnitus on the other hand...well it'll definitely be nice for future generations if/when we switch from gunpowder to laser guns, cuz tinnitus loving sucks

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I've had that since long before I ever touched a firearm, I think it's a normal body quirk that people don't bother to mention much. This tinnitus on the other hand...well it'll definitely be nice for future generations if/when we switch from gunpowder to laser guns, cuz tinnitus loving sucks

I've had tinnitus since I was a baby because of a shitload of bad ear infections, because my ear canals don't drain 100% properly. The guns and loud cars/machinery have only made it worse.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

WTF, no Anthony’s Pizza (World’s Greatest)? It’s like I don’t even know you anymore, Fort Benning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Aranan posted:

I actually don't hear the EEEEEEEEE sound, but whenever I'm in a place with the buzz of conversation (mall, stadium, restaurant, busy office) it feels like my ears are rattling like a blown speaker would if you tried to push too much bass through it.

Same here.

What happens to me often is if I'm not facing someone I won't realize right away that what they're saying is directed at me. I'll hear them, realize I'm being addressed, and then focus on what I'm hearing. As a result I get the last few words of the sentence and say, "what?" They then repeat only the last few words of the sentence and I still have no idea what the hell they're talking about. At that point I have to either annoy them and ask for a repeat of the entire sentence or just try to piece everything together. Lots of fun when your wife's normal conversational voice is soft to begin with.