Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

If you have a Half-Price Books nearby they actually give a shockingly decent amount for used RPG stuff. I was clearing out my collection a couple of years ago and they were giving me about $50 - 75 per milk crate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Half-Price Books is a good option. There are also online sales, if you're willing to ship; I've heard eBay can be useful, and RPG stuff seems to sell on SA-Mart.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I usually dump mine at the GenCon auction, but that's a pretty limited venue.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
If you put them on Craigslist for free, someone who doesn't play games but IS interested in money will come get them from you, and sell them easily, and collect the money.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

has there been anything similiar to strike! out recently
or before

i need more games with nice simple grid combat

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

everythingWasBees posted:

or before

Battle Century G, I suppose.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
^^^
:argh:

or before

Battle Century G

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

also are chuubo and nobilis good? i hear them mentioned a lot but the only thing i remember about chuubo is i don't think anybody has actually managed to run a game of chuubo
considering maybe going for that bundle of holding, bc trevor project

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
People have managed to run games of Chuubos, it's a perfectly good system, it's just that the average fan of Jenna Moran has some form of Sad, which makes games fall apart frequently. Still, highly recommended, one of my favorite systems period.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Lancer is a grid-based mech game which is still currently in development but far enough along that it's feature-complete playable. There's also Unity which is primarily done in range bands but has rules for grids, Fragged Empire and its associated spinoffs, and Panic at the Dojo which is a goofy Scott Pilgrim/Shaolin Soccer martial arts style game which uses gridmaps.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

also are chuubo and nobilis good? i hear them mentioned a lot but the only thing i remember about chuubo is i don't think anybody has actually managed to run a game of chuubo
considering maybe going for that bundle of holding, bc trevor project

Nobilis is very very cool but very very weird, and requires a lot of player buy in to run correctly. Chuubo's is much easier for non-storygamers to grasp and I really like it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

fool_of_sound posted:

Nobilis is very very cool but very very weird, and requires a lot of player buy in to run correctly. Chuubo's is much easier for non-storygamers to grasp and I really like it.

Also, Nobilis 3rd Edition is more easily digestible as a rulebook (and the rules are better), but some fans prefer the more serious-faced grandiosity with an undercurrent of irreverence of 2nd Edition over the often overt whimsy of 3rd. It's totally worth reading both, because the two can easily be used to inform each other at the table.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

Not sure this is the right place for this, but here goes. I have many old tabletop RPG books, mostly from the late 90s / early 00s, and I am certain that I will never use them again. They take up way too much space to justify hanging on to them for sentimental reasons. I don't really care about getting money for them. I want them to 'go to a good home' so to speak, but I have no idea how to find someone who would want them. I also don't want to be bothered to unload them individually.

Have any of you unloaded RPG books in the past? Would anyone want them outside of Goodwill?

Check with Noble Knight games. If they're interested in buying, they'll send you shipping labels so you can send them the books at no cost. I unloaded a ton of old WoD and early D&D books with them and it was pretty easy.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Magnetic North posted:

Not sure this is the right place for this, but here goes. I have many old tabletop RPG books, mostly from the late 90s / early 00s, and I am certain that I will never use them again. They take up way too much space to justify hanging on to them for sentimental reasons. I don't really care about getting money for them. I want them to 'go to a good home' so to speak, but I have no idea how to find someone who would want them. I also don't want to be bothered to unload them individually.

Have any of you unloaded RPG books in the past? Would anyone want them outside of Goodwill?

Have you tried Noble Knight?

Which reminds me that I need to contact them about selling some Shadowrun 4th edition and Star Wars SAGA Edition stuff I don't need anymore(although if anyone here is interested let me know)

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

That Old Tree posted:

Also, Nobilis 3rd Edition is more easily digestible as a rulebook (and the rules are better), but some fans prefer the more serious-faced grandiosity with an undercurrent of irreverence of 2nd Edition over the often overt whimsy of 3rd. It's totally worth reading both, because the two can easily be used to inform each other at the table.

Nobilis 2e is preferable to me not because of the grandiosity (I can go either way) but because it actually has example of character creation, a bunch of fully statted up sample characters, and an example of what each level of each stat looks like.

3e introduces a whole new stat with its own subsystem (Treasure) and then no examples of actually using it or what a sample character's full Treasure might look like.

Like, 3e obviously has the better rules (although frankly, I'm not a fan of mortal actions and figure you can pretty much backport old Aspect and nothing of value will be lost), but 2e is a lot more playable to a newbie out of the box.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Nobilis 2e is preferable to me not because of the grandiosity (I can go either way) but because it actually has example of character creation, a bunch of fully statted up sample characters, and an example of what each level of each stat looks like.

3e introduces a whole new stat with its own subsystem (Treasure) and then no examples of actually using it or what a sample character's full Treasure might look like.

Like, 3e obviously has the better rules (although frankly, I'm not a fan of mortal actions and figure you can pretty much backport old Aspect and nothing of value will be lost), but 2e is a lot more playable to a newbie out of the box.

I hear this a lot an it's always bewildering to me. I found that the book lays out character creation in a fairly easy to understand way, albeit spread out over the course of several chapters. I also really didn't have a hard time grasping how Treasure works, or any of the other miracles. I found the difficult parts to be 'what does an adventure look like' and 'how exactly do these flurry things work???' and other actual gm advice and gameplay clarifications/examples.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Just wanted to say that's a quality thread title

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

bewilderment posted:

A while back I wound up working on a rewrite of the Nobilis 3e corebook when Jenna wasn't doing to well and it seemed like a 3e Revised in a hurry might be a reasonable project. In the end, she wasn't for it, and now the official announcement of 4e after Glitch has made the project moot, but I do still have this chapter on miracles which might be helpful to somebody, because it's full of delicious examples. I also think the use of legal terminology makes the explanation of Treasure a pretty big improvement.

(It uses some different terms for a couple of things and changes a few rules, which is the norm for things you downloaded off the internet, but the examples and explanations should be solid.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Also there's 14 hours left on the Nobilis and Chuubo bundle, so do please go ahead and buy it.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Whoah what's this about a 4e?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Benagain posted:

Whoah what's this about a 4e?

Sounds like somebody needs to access Jenna's fancy new website!

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

bewilderment posted:

There is, at least, a free supplement (The Story of Treasure) which goes into a fair bit of detail on how to use Treasure and the design intent behind its powers.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
So I have a design problem I'd like to pick folks' brain on, particularly if you have a math background.

It's obviously pretty easy to create a flat probability distribution with standard dice, and a bell curve isn't difficult either.

But if I wanted to create a distribution that was weighted towards the extreme ends and with as little mental math required as possible, what would be the best way to accomplish that -- using only standard polyhedrals?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

or before

Panic at the Disco is out now.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So I have a design problem I'd like to pick folks' brain on, particularly if you have a math background.

It's obviously pretty easy to create a flat probability distribution with standard dice, and a bell curve isn't difficult either.

But if I wanted to create a distribution that was weighted towards the extreme ends and with as little mental math required as possible, what would be the best way to accomplish that -- using only standard polyhedrals?

Like an inverted bell curve?

https://forum.rpg.net/archive/index.php/t-480643.html

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/15971/is-it-possible-to-produce-a-bowl-shaped-probability-curve-with-dice-rolls

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Thank you, this is perfect. I knew somebody must've grappled with this before!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I echo the question from those threads: Why do you need this?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

DalaranJ posted:

Panic at the Disco is out now.

Panic In The Dojo.

(Not Panic at the Dojo, for some reason.)

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
Roll a d100 and look the result up on a table. :v:

Something like 3d12 (mod 20) would be the simplest I could think of offhand - 3d12's average is 19.5, which makes the modulo to keep things symmetric a nice multiple of 10. This does make the distribution flatter because you're summing the previous extremes, but to make it more extreme I'd have to do something like "d10 - d10, add 19 if it's 0 or negative".

Alternatively, roll 2d6 and another (distinguishable) d6. Take the higher of the numbers on the 2d6. If the other d6 is even, treat this number as positive; if it's odd, treat it as negative. So a roll of 2, 5, (3) would be -5, for example.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ratoslov posted:

Panic In The Dojo.

(Not Panic at the Dojo, for some reason.)

it actually is panic at the dojo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
how about:

roll a d20
if it's a 14 to 20, roll again, and add the result of the second to the first roll (it explodes, basically)
if it's an 8 to 13, use that result
if it's a 1 to 7, roll again, and subtract the result of the second from the first roll (it "implodes")

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Serf posted:

it actually is panic at the dojo

Ah, I wonder why I got confused. My apologies.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The best one from the links for playability is 3dX with the middle die determining if you get the best or the worst die.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

I echo the question from those threads: Why do you need this?

I'm looking for a way to eliminate attack rolls while still preserving a significant element of success/failure in combat. I'd use this curve for calculating damage, not for something with a probabilistic chance of happening.

It's mostly just abstract curiosity, I don't have a specific game in mind and I'm definitely not married to this method.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
About an hour left on the Forest Hymn and Picnic Kickstarter. It's a more light-hearted, family-friendly take on the Shadow of the Demon Lord engine:

https://kickstarter.com/projects/cecil-howe/the-forest-hymn-and-picnic

The author is a good guy, definitely support him if you can.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Splicer posted:

The best one from the links for playability is 3dX with the middle die determining if you get the best or the worst die.
Since TC is deliberately trying to make things more swingy, wouldn't it be more efficient to just always take the bigger die?

I did this with FUDGE once, by accident.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
There are many distributions and it depends what you want how you can do it.

For a proper bimodal version of the binomial distribution, roll Nd6 and flip a coin, add a constant k if the coin is heads. (k could vary by level/class/ac/etc)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I feel like I've asked this before, but do people here have any good suggestions for "session zero" questions and prompts? I'm going to be GMing a shorter (6-7 sessions I imagine) campaign for a few people who have really never done the ttrpg thing before but who are all familiar with video game RPGs as well as lots of modern boards games. They've requested I do more world building myself, at least to start while they get their bearings so we're going with the tried and true pulpy action/comedy school of dungeon delving.

I'm using an xcrawlish idea of adventuring being a big league event with sponsored teams and the like. The PCs are all newly sponsored "players", and the one prompt I know for sure I want to use is asking them to describe their sponsor and why they were chosen as Brand Ambassadors for that specific one. Any other suggestions are appreciated!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Google Plus, the home of some RPG groups (including some of the shittiest!) and uh... I'm sure something else?

It is finally dying.

https://gizmodo.com/googles-failed-social-network-google-will-be-no-more-1829602740

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Google Plus, the home of some RPG groups (including some of the shittiest!) and uh... I'm sure something else?

It is finally dying.

https://gizmodo.com/googles-failed-social-network-google-will-be-no-more-1829602740

that sucks. it was a pretty decent tool for following stuff like blades in the dark and sine nomine