Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

GotLag posted:

"Tin" cans aren't made of tin, and haven't been for half a century. They're aluminium or steel.

The steel food cans are tin plated though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
what, so you're saying my tin ear is made of aluminium?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Tin cans have never been pure tin.

They have always been tinplate steel.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

im the guy who tries to wrangle it bare handed

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure that guy has his back to it and was signaling someone else to shut down the line or something. But not great situational awareness on his part.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm pretty sure that guy has his back to it and was signaling someone else to shut down the line or something. But not great situational awareness on his part.

lol you're right, he faces away from it completely and the insane heat probably spooks him

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

madeintaipei posted:

Let me guess... serving in the police excuses you from military conscription.

e: FDF? Do the Valmet rifles have a provision to hold the bolt open? I figured they would at least give you a little mirror to inspect the chamber for cleaning. Between a mirror and a flashlight, it could be done without putting your face in front of the muzzle.

The entire firing mechanism is separated from the gun at that point, firing pin, bolt, chamber and receiver included. When the gun is assembled no-one looks into the barrel, or at least should not look.

And the army service (or civil equivalent or jail time) is mandatory for all male citizens without almost impossible to get -medical discharge papers, or juridical discharge.

Actually doing well in the army makes it easier to get into the national police academy.

EDIT: If you want to be really anal about it, the correct procedure is still to look thru from the backside, but it is much easier to see that the rifling is OK and there is no poo poo in the barrel from the customer service side.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 8, 2018

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Mozi posted:

what, so you're saying my tin ear is made of aluminium?

"That sounds aluminuminy" doesnt have the same ring.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

weg posted:

Not as scary when it's oriented correctly lol.

Still looks like a cool place to take a hike though.
You're wrong in saying it was oriented incorrectly... take a look at the treads on the steps

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Der Kyhe posted:

EDIT: If you want to be really anal about it, the correct procedure is still to look thru from the backside, but it is much easier to see that the rifling is OK and there is no poo poo in the barrel from the customer service side.
This is my new favorite way of describing the deadly end of a gun now, thanks.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Devor posted:

We had a subconsultant doing some geotech borings (use small augur to drill down 30-40 feet and take soil samples). We marked a location on the plans, they called Miss Utility who went out and marked the utilities 15-feet around the spot. When they got out there, the spot as marked had augur refusal (they hit concrete) so they needed to move the hole a bit - but the Miss Utility markings didn't leave them any spots that were sufficiently clear from the surrounding utilities.

So the driller's foreman got out his 'witching rods' and used them to locate the communications line that continued outside the marks towards the area they wanted to drill in. Witching Rods would work in this case because the communications line was basically a 6-inch bundle of copper wires, which conduct electricity, and his super-sensitive witching rods would cross over each other when he was in the vicinity of the communications cable. [Note - it turns out that witching rods use the same technology as dowsing rods, in that it is not technology and more accurately witchcraft]

Anyway, they obviously immediately hit the communications line and started bringing up pieces of insulated wire that looked something like this, before the wires wrapped up around the augur and brought it to a stop.

I think it ended up just being a few hundred thousand dollars for the emergency repairs.

^^^ Holy gently caress thats a lot of wires.

I've been lucky enough to only hit a couple small water lines (one public, one private) both plastic so not easy to locate. And a concrete storm sewer line, also not easy to locate.

Story time: When I first started drilling (geotech and environmental) in 2003 I was working on a track mounted auger drill a "Bomb" as they are known around here because for many years they were mounted on a tracked carrier vehicle known as a Muskeg, made by Bombardier.

Guy I worked with liked to drive with the tower up, a big no no, but like nobody listened to me because I was just some new rear end dipshit whose opinion didn't matter or whatever.
Welp, we were going along this gravel driveway, tower up and off to one side because otherwise we would have been hitting some tree branches. I was off the left side of the rig, driller was driving, and I was sauntering along having a smoke, when I hear the consultant start to yell,, I look up in time to see him pointing at something. I look over in time to see a hydro pole snapping in two, one of our rear jack legs had caught the guide wire. The wires come down, make contact with the tower. I don't remember making any sudden moves, I may have, but just don't remember, but my hard hat fell off, as I looked down at it, the wires started arcing off the tower. This all happened in a split second, though it seemed like minutes or something. Anywho, as I was looking down, the flash was bright and I could see it reflecting off the ground. It was blue.
I could also feel the ground vibrating, I assume that was the voltage or whatever going out in to the ground. Still looking down I saw the driller land beside me. He had jumped from the drill, which was still moving. He made it a long way actually, considering the drill was moving (albeit slowly) and he was sitting in the front and the carrier itself was quite longish.

Well, the wires stopped making contact with the rig, the arcing stopped, and the ground stopped shaking.

The driller, consultant and I stood there smoking and exchanging various phrases including, but not limited to "holy fuckin poo poo", "goddam", "Jesus Christ", "Holy gently caress", "Holy poo poo" and so on.

The drill however, kept chugging along in low gear till it hit a ditch and stalled out.

Best part about being a helper is you can say "don't look at me, I'm not the driller".

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jerry Cotton posted:

A dwarven clairvoyant?

Ha, I always spell this wrong. My mnemonic of "not the way you want to spell it, the other way" isn't very good

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'd urge a further clarification, they're not witchcraft, they're bullshit. I'm not saying witchcraft works, but it's sometimes used to describe things that work but people don't know why

Did he get fired?

I don't think so, but I imagine they told him not to do it anymore.

And rather than witchcraft, do you know what we call something that just works, we don't know why, but we do it anyway?

Good Engineering Practice

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Re witching:

Saw a city guy locating what I assume was a sewer line in the middle of a road by:

Driving van 20 feet, get out, use witching rods, spray green paint, back in van, drive 20 feet, get out, use witching rods, green paint, back in van.... Repeat.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Devor posted:

Ha, I always spell this wrong. My mnemonic of "not the way you want to spell it, the other way" isn't very good

I don't think so, but I imagine they told him not to do it anymore.

And rather than witchcraft, do you know what we call something that just works, we don't know why, but we do it anyway?

Good Engineering Practice

Dowsing/witching rods dont work though.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Piell posted:

My old man has two masters degrees, one in geology, and did groundwater work for 40 something years.

He insisted on pulling out the ground radar and getting accurate maps for everything at work.

He also successfully used a dowsing rod to locate buried T joint in the water pipes, in the neighbor's back yard, in a subdivision that wasn't mapped properly. (The original builder 30 years ago started the plans 20 feet to the south and angled incorrectly. Up where we were, our house was 50 feet further north than it should have been, and the property lines are a mess. Up above us somebody has the original property line running through their house.)

There's SOMETHING to it. It's unreliable and you sure as hell wouldn't want to actually use it for anything with legal ramifications, but it's not 100% nonsense. Probably closer to 80%.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Relentless posted:

My old man has two masters degrees, one in geology, and did groundwater work for 40 something years.

He insisted on pulling out the ground radar and getting accurate maps for everything at work.

He also successfully used a dowsing rod to locate buried T joint in the water pipes, in the neighbor's back yard, in a subdivision that wasn't mapped properly. (The original builder 30 years ago started the plans 20 feet to the south and angled incorrectly. Up where we were, our house was 50 feet further north than it should have been, and the property lines are a mess. Up above us somebody has the original property line running through their house.)

There's SOMETHING to it. It's unreliable and you sure as hell wouldn't want to actually use it for anything with legal ramifications, but it's not 100% nonsense. Probably closer to 80%.

50% nonsense, 50% bullshit.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

No, there literally is nothing to it. That was your father using his 40 years of experience to guess where something would be and to not take credit for it in case he was wrong.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Relentless posted:

It's 100% nonsense. I can't believe we're still arguing about stuff like this in 2018. "One time his magic rock kept the tigers away, so magic rocks that keep tigers away are only like 80% nonsense."

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

duz posted:

No, there literally is nothing to it. That was your father using his 40 years of experience to guess where something would be and to not take credit for it in case he was wrong.

This. Professional knows the ballpark where something should be, and uses a scapegoat to escape the problem if his intuition was wrong.

You know how "the relative/neigbor/support person who knows everything about IT" usually comes up with a solution? There is a limited amount of things that could be wrong and usual suspects that tend to be the troublemakers. If you have any experience on using or configuring stuff for any use, provided that things actually work correctly, you can almost always pinpoint the problem without touching anything.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Relentless posted:

He didn't count the times it didn't work.

duz posted:

Also this

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

duz posted:

This is exactly it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
woah, my downsing rods are goin crazy over here! must have hit the motherlode!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I gotta dowsing rod for ya right here buddy

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Relentless posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-k-v7i-QeI

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Piell posted:

and yet.... :v:

https://twitter.com/thameswater/status/932957516157288448

https://twitter.com/stwater/status/932616285829173248

https://twitter.com/YorkshireWater/status/932650378260307969

https://twitter.com/nwater_care/status/932924306903977984

https://twitter.com/SWWHelp/status/932984738423496704

https://twitter.com/unitedutilities/status/932917937744285696

(they still dont work)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How does somebody's career not get hosed into oblivion for damaging a sewer line because their magic rod didn't work

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
That makes me sad

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Why do we have homeopathy? Why do people refuse to vaccinate? Why is there prayer healing? Why do we grind up rhino horns in to dick powder? Why did Steve Jobs try to cure his cancer with orange juice? :thunk:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

whoops wrong thread

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Atticus_1354 posted:

That's good stuff but the heart beating through a giant hole in a guy is even better. That is a pro click page.

They have a ton of good medical info and I learn a lot. Mainly I have learned the human body can survive absolutely insane amounts of damage and my ifak should only contain a shitload of ketamine I can immediately take if I am horribly injured

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Fallom posted:

How does somebody's career not get hosed into oblivion for damaging a sewer line because their magic rod didn't work
Digging into underground poo poo is just sort of normal.

On the scale of give a gently caress or not you usually only bust out the serious analysis if it's something that will kill the digging tech. Otherwise check the map and shake your dick at it and welp close enough

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Fallom posted:

Because they don't put "I cleared the utility using dowsing rods" in the report, they just put "Failed to clear utilities"

When a Water Utility sends one of those old dudes out in the field to located a busted pipe, they look at records, look at surface features like water meters/valves, look at where the leak is (might be helpful, might not) and then start carefully digging to find the leaky pipe. Sometimes they're right on if they good plans, sometimes they come up empty.

If they use 'conventional' techniques and miss, they might pull out dowsing rods and "use them" to pick the other obvious place (behind the curb where the gas main ISN'T, on the other side of the road) and dig again. If they hit, the dowsing rods worked!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Devor posted:

Because they don't put "I cleared the utility using dowsing rods" in the report, they just put "Failed to clear utilities"

When a Water Utility sends one of those old dudes out in the field to located a busted pipe, they look at records, look at surface features like water meters/valves, look at where the leak is (might be helpful, might not) and then start carefully digging to find the leaky pipe. Sometimes they're right on if they good plans, sometimes they come up empty.

If they use 'conventional' techniques and miss, they might pull out dowsing rods and "use them" to pick the other obvious place (behind the curb where the gas main ISN'T, on the other side of the road) and dig again. If they hit, the dowsing rods worked!

Had a supply side water leak in a parking lot once, and the utility sent out an excavator that used the scientific method of banging the excavator bucket on the asphalt in different spots until the parking lot caved in where they were tapping (revealing a sinkhole about 6 feet deep at that point). Very effective!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

There was an explosion at the largest oil refinery in Canada this morning (no one died) so there will hopefully be some cool safety videos about it in a few months.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/explosion-fire-saint-john-oil-refinery-1.4854460

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I read about the limousine crash in upstate New York where literally all 18 occupants of the limo died and I'm wondering just how grim being the first responder to open the door was. Must have looked like a tin of beans inside

Also how it's ridiculous how the limo looked perfectly recognisable from the outside but still no-one survived, thanks to the occupants not being required to wear seatbelts (or I guess the thing not even having them)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Butterfly Valley posted:

I read about the limousine crash in upstate New York where literally all 18 occupants of the limo died and I'm wondering just how grim being the first responder to open the door was. Must have looked like a tin of beans inside

Also how it's ridiculous how the limo looked perfectly recognisable from the outside but still no-one survived, thanks to the occupants not being required to wear seatbelts (or I guess the thing not even having them)

In the picture I saw of the vehicle in the ditch, the limo looked way too short for 18 people and the news says it previously failed inspection. I'm wondering if it may have been broken in half by the collision with the SUV and tree.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

In the picture I saw of the vehicle in the ditch, the limo looked way too short for 18 people and the news says it previously failed inspection. I'm wondering if it may have been broken in half by the collision with the SUV and tree.

SUV Limos are generically deathtraps, i expect them to always be cobbled together with no regard for the integrity of the original body or safety standards as such

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
No one knew cutting a car in half and making it longer than originally designed could be so complicated.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Lurking Haro posted:

Some cans still have a tin coating on the inside.

Did you know that the lead in lead paint isn't the same as the "lead" in pencils?

I have a piece of graphite still embedded in my thigh from an unfortunate encounter in kindergarten with a testy female.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Butterfly Valley posted:

My wife is from that area and is an ED nurse and mentioned there is a specific trauma from car accidents that resulted in an essentially severed brain stem. It had to be something completely catastrophic for no one in the limo to survive and the photos I saw didnt really show any fire damage. It didnt even happen in that remote of an area so the fact that no one even survived long enough to get to a trauma center is pretty insane.