Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It really isn't a mess. It's just more buddy-comedy than body horror.
So it's more of a subverted expectations thing that a lot of critics tend to hate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Guy Mann posted:

It took like two years for Chapo Trap House to go from laughing at pizzagaters to having every other episode of their show inevitably collapse into a crazed rant about how a cabal of pedophile murderers run everything, only they acknowledge that it sounds crazy and they bury it in True Detective references so it's cool and sane now.

I guess Horseshoe Theory is right after all...

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Venom was pretty fun but it feels like it skips the second act entirely and goes right into the obligatory big CGI fight at the end.

But it does have some fun moments, mostly just after he gets slimed and starts behaving really oddly and a lot of the interactions between the symbiote and Brock are pretty fun and I appreciate that the bad guy is basically just Elon Musk.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
those drat pakistani elon musks i tell u what

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Tom Hardy would play a killer Slavoj Zizek 10 or 20 years down the line.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 7, 2018

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

So it's more of a subverted expectations thing that a lot of critics tend to hate?

Critics hate it because it's tonally all over the place and doesn't have a traditional hero's journey story with character development. It's not the critic proof normal MCU formula. It also has a slightly odd sense of humour. It is however, a good time at the movies

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Friends Are Evil posted:

Tom HardyDan Harmon would play a killer Slavoj Zizek 10 or 20 years down the line. right now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It was mentioned that Venom kinda swerves tonally all over the place between action, horror, and black comedy, but doesn't really commit to any of them, but it somehow more or less works. Which, again, is oddly fitting given that's pretty much the tone of the character in the comics.

I feel it definitely needs an R rated cut for DVD at least.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Venom is one of those movies you could never trust the critics on and have to trust your peers with similar interests that you are friends with in real life, here, and twitter. The Suspiria remake will be the next one, though the Halloween movie might also hit that mold first.

Wandle Cax posted:

I'm glad you are ignoring the actual fifth movie, i'd like to forget I ever saw it myself

Let's go with this instead of just miscounting because I've been that uninterested in the franchise since the indistinguishable grey robots were pounding on each other in the first film

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I feel like at this point Halloween movies are just Jason movies i.e. How can we kill people in New and exciting ways since the novelty of the first can't be recreated

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Suspiria did get many negative reviews, but that was at a festival, and there are plenty of positive ones too. Halloween 2018 actually received overwhelmingly positive ones.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Venom was fun, but they should have just gone with Carnage as the villain. Just from an aesthetic standpoint the last fight is just comes off as similarly-colored CGI noise smashing against each other, and the red would have helped to offer some contrast. And, not for nothing, I really don't need to see another symbiote fight in the next movie. I hate when comic movies do that poo poo. Don't save it for a sequel; do your big bad in the first film, and then be smarter when it comes to the sequels. Challenge yourself to find new ground to cover.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The MSJ posted:

Suspiria did get many negative reviews, but that was at a festival, and there are plenty of positive ones too. Halloween 2018 actually received overwhelmingly positive ones.

The only reason I'm even remotely interested in the Halloween 2018 is because of the people behind it. I hope they don't let me down.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fart City posted:

Venom was fun, but they should have just gone with Carnage as the villain. Just from an aesthetic standpoint the last fight is just comes off as similarly-colored CGI noise smashing against each other, and the red would have helped to offer some contrast. And, not for nothing, I really don't need to see another symbiote fight in the next movie. I hate when comic movies do that poo poo. Don't save it for a sequel; do your big bad in the first film, and then be smarter when it comes to the sequels. Challenge yourself to find new ground to cover.

There's been how many movies which save the big villains for a sequel that's never made because the movie was disappointing?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jose Oquendo posted:

The only reason I'm even remotely interested in the Halloween 2018 is because of the people behind it. I hope they don't let me down.

John Carpenter soundtrack sold me.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sorry, that wasn't meant for you.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 7, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Punkin Spunkin posted:

transformers aren't real

:wrong:

https://i.imgur.com/P5ZoaPJ.gifv

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

:neckbeard:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Venom just debuted at $80 million in the US, and a total of $205 million worldwide. By comparison, A Star Is Born in 2nd place with $41 million domestic and a total of $54 million globally (it have not opened everywhere yet).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think that is a shocking development. People love their superhero movies

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's not really anything else out new that would realistically take its audience away from it. I don't think there's a huge crossover between the Venom audience and the Star Is Born audience, and the other big action movies still out at the moment (Mission Impossible and Ant-Man) are winding down and on the way out, so everybody's seen them already. And to think Disney could've put Solo somewhere round here.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A Star is Born had Lady Gaga's kickass voice but Venom was the more entertaining movie overall.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Venom: "I just Want to take another LICK at you!"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

🎵 I'm a symbiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiote
Watch as I dive in
I'll never be driven out by souuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuund 🎵

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Guy Mann posted:

It took like two years for Chapo Trap House to go from laughing at pizzagaters to having every other episode of their show inevitably collapse into a crazed rant about how a cabal of pedophile murderers run everything, only they acknowledge that it sounds crazy and they bury it in True Detective references so it's cool and sane now.

Guy Mann posted:

It looks like the toys they had when they were kids, which were also ugly and dumb simply by wont of making a robot that could fold down into a reasonable facsimile of a car/gun/boombox/etc but they had it when they were children so it's objectively good and cool.

*posts incredibly stupid thing* these other people are infants.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's had this thought

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

you know what i mean stupid.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Today I found out that a Critters series was shot over the summer, as a continuation of the movies storylines.

About five minutes later I found out that it is a web series with eight episodes of ten minutes each.

How about you just make a 90 minute Critters movie where some people get eaten instead of this poo poo?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

More videos = more ads

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Every time I've been to the cinema this year (five times so far, which is possibly the most I've ever gone in a single year) there have been trailers in the adverts before the trailers. I remember last year when I went to see Last Jedi, they even got a bonus one because one of the adverts was for some other product that was Star Wars-themed or tied into Star Wars in some way.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
uh yeah that's been going on for a decade.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, but I rarely go to the cinema more than twice a year, so I don't usually notice.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

We’re the last generation to know the simple joy of light synth and movie trivia cards interspersed with blown-up print ads for local businesses.

I’ll never forget you, Deleon Funeral Home.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MrBling posted:

Today I found out that a Critters series was shot over the summer, as a continuation of the movies storylines.

About five minutes later I found out that it is a web series with eight episodes of ten minutes each.

How about you just make a 90 minute Critters movie where some people get eaten instead of this poo poo?

They did a similar thing with Stargate. With a "show" called Stargate Origins which was just a super cheap mini episode thing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

business hammocks posted:

We’re the last generation to know the simple joy of light synth and movie trivia cards interspersed with blown-up print ads for local businesses.

Rest in Power, soda race.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

There's a few Regals in my area that still do this before the mandated TV ads.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

My local mom and pop cinema still does the trivia cards and local advertisements. But it’s kind of a community institution type deal.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I saw a fantastic bit of movie trivia last weekend, it was one of those fill in the blank ones:

K_N

it was KIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Delorean funeral homes