Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
AIOs if you can't fit big tower heatsinks. Big towers perform better, but AIOs can fit into smaller spaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Paul MaudDib posted:

NH-D15S or a 280mm AIO is going to be the best choice if your case supports it.

I don't think a 280mm AIO would fit. The air vent above is 210mm long by 150mm. Or am I being retarded?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Eararaldor posted:

I don't think a 280mm AIO would fit. The air vent above is 210mm long by 150mm. Or am I being retarded?

Depends on if it's there's more space around the vent, I guess. You don't strictly need to have open airflow through the entire radiator, although it certainly does help. What case is it, though? Usually the manual or manufacturer's product page will state what radiator sizes it supports and in which positions.

Again, though, I really don't agree with the recommendation for AIO coolers for these CPU's.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Looks like I got hit by the newegg hack. Debit card and Credit card have been locked due to fraud. I cant put money in my account and I don't have a way to pay for anything. nice.

As soon as I heard about the hack I called my bank and cancelled my card that I had used so I didn't have to worry about dealing with that poo poo.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

TheFluff posted:

Depends on if it's there's more space around the vent, I guess. You don't strictly need to have open airflow through the entire radiator, although it certainly does help. What case is it, though? Usually the manual or manufacturer's product page will state what radiator sizes it supports and in which positions.

Again, though, I really don't agree with the recommendation for AIO coolers for these CPU's.

No idea, bought it from Maplins as a cheaper bigger case in order to just fit in a 1080. Never thought I'd upgrade for a while after that, but here we are!

The top vent is slightly bigger outside of the vent to a 230 length.

Only caught your previous post until after I replied to the previous poster. Was hoping to keep all my options open and work from there.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

repiv posted:

£300 for ryzen 2700x
£350 for intel 9600k
£500 for intel 9700k
£600 for intel 9900k

:eyepoop:

Ahahah

Welp, better hope my mobo lasts another 7 years then.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

TheFluff posted:

A modern 280 AIO is going to perform about the same as a NH-D15, which is probably the highest end air cooler there is and a high end 360 is going to beat it. The drawbacks to the AIO will be more points of failure, slightly harder installation, and slightly louder (for 280). The drawback to the giant air cooler is going to be potential compatibility problems due to clearance and working around it in the case. The AIO is also going to run $20-40 more (or more for 360). You grab the AIO for aesthetic reasons more than anything.

Winks fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 8, 2018

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Ya, I think the main advantages of AIO vs Block Cooler is form factor. Depends on your case and motherboard and what you want to manage. Neither is better.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Aeka 2.0 posted:

My bank also called me and I was like "ill call you back" and found a different number. I can't get ahold of anyone since it is Columbus Day, so who the gently caress called me?

edit: two purchases for over 1000 dollars at Lenovo. Going big.

Are you sure it was your bank and not a scammer? https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/10/voice-phishing-scams-are-getting-more-clever/

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Oh that's why I hung up. I found the number they called me on buried on their website so it was a legit call.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hold The Ashes posted:

Newegg has the majority of boards in stock now.

Time to get me a Taichi.

I'm actually really surprised that the Extreme4 is only $170 and it already has a rebate on it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AT has a huge round up of all the Z390 boards. Sure enough, it's H370 (really Q370, but whose counting) with overclocking on.

It's good to see 2.5G, 5G, and even 10G networking integrated into some of the boards. Looks like everybody doing it is using Aquantia chipsets.

(e: im dumb, Asrock is using the new low cost Realtek controller.)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13407/intel-z390-motherboard-overview-every-motherboard-analyzed/

Also that Asrock ITX board with the TB3 port is pretty rad

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 8, 2018

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Oh that's why I hung up. I found the number they called me on buried on their website so it was a legit call.

Read the link! Caller id is very easy to spoof and scammers are getting much more sophisticated.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I want to see a i9 in a Dan A4 to see that 95W TDP in action :getin:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So 9900K is basically a 8700K with two extra cores and soldered heatspreader? Since I've delidded my 8700K the question basically is: do I need two extra cores, and how much they would cost? 200€ after selling my 8700K? That doesn't sound very wise for mostly gaming purposes.

At least I wouldn't have to upgrade my ram& motherboard, which is quite rare.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ihmemies posted:

So 9900K is basically a 8700K with two extra cores and soldered heatspreader? Since I've delidded my 8700K the question basically is: do I need two extra cores, and how much they would cost? 200€ after selling my 8700K? That doesn't sound very wise for mostly gaming purposes.

Honestly, in your particular case it'd be smarter to just wait until the fervor dies down. There's absolutely nothing those extra two cores will offer you - just be happy that you have a nice upgrade path open to you. :unsmith:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ihmemies posted:

There are no reviews yet but yes, you can pretty much expect this to just be Coffee Lake with two extra cores and solder. Maybe some minor changes to the cache system.

Right now the gaming difference should be minimal (see: 2600X vs 2700X) because games barely use 6 cores anyway, but if threading finally takes off over the next few years then the 9900K is potentially more future-proof, and it will be faster for non-gaming stuff.

For people who are purely interested in gaming and don't want to bet on "future-proofing", the 9700K is potentially a much better deal. In practice, 8C8T is going to be faster than 6C12T in almost every situation. Dunno if it's really worth selling your processor and upgrading though.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Are Intel TDP values just fantasy numbers? 95W doesn't seem like a lot since it's in-line with my 2600K before overclocking, though I guess I've missed a few years of lower TDPs.

At this point I'm considering upgrading more from paranoia than anything else, since the (first-gen) Gigabyte Z68 board is getting old though it hasn't had any hiccups at all so far. Glad I spent extra on the UD-P model, and also for spending extra for hyperthreading years ago. If I do go 9th gen I'll probably buy the 9900k since the 2600k at 4.5ghz has worked so well for so long, but that's a pretty big price jump just for virtual cores. If hyperthreading is really a big security concern maybe I should go for a 9700k instead.. I'm going to wait for reviews, but at the time I bought my current chip no one really understood that 2500ks would be undesirable vs 2600ks these days.

I've been carting around an original HR-02 since socket 1366 where the chips were expected to hit 200W+ when overclocked. Assuming I never had any problems cooling a 920 at 1.4v is it safe to assume I can probably just keep using the same cooler?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

future ghost posted:

Are Intel TDP values just fantasy numbers? 95W doesn't seem like a lot since it's in-line with my 2600K before overclocking, though I guess I've missed a few years of lower TDPs.
No, at stock settings the CPU will throttle itself to conform to the TDP rating. Which of course is ridiculous with these 5GHz 8C/16T monsters, you'll get some stupidly low clock if you actually try to use all those threads because it's so power starved. You will absolutely need to lift the TDP limit to get your money's worth. My 8700K can draw >170W at 4.9GHz, for comparison.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Turbo's the big thing that lets them keep relatively low TDPs, the base speed is only 3.6GHz, not much faster then a Sandybridge with a lot of process improvements in between.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Intel's TDPs are based on base clock.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

future ghost posted:

vs

So about 180W with a 1080 Ti when running Cinebench, at 4.7 GHz. About the same as a 2700X at 4.3-ish, or maybe a little less depending on the site.

(Intel 14++ is at least a half node if not a full node ahead of GF 12nm. GF 14nm/TSMC 16nm are more similar to Intel 22nm.)

If you assume 80% PSU efficiency, and 10W at idle for the 1080 Ti, that puts the CPU/mobo at ~118W.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 8, 2018

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I figured I'd just set the wattage as high as it'll go as an override like I do now. Guess I can just hang onto this cooler until it no longer fits on boards. PSU efficiency will be roughly 91% at that wattage unless jonnyguru.com somehow lied about this review sample.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

heat posted:

Read the link! Caller id is very easy to spoof and scammers are getting much more sophisticated.

Oh I understand that, I manually dialed the number after verifying it. I haven't had a chance to read it. I'll do that when I get home.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Paul MaudDib posted:

For people who are purely interested in gaming and don't want to bet on "future-proofing", the 9700K is potentially a much better deal. In practice, 8C8T is going to be faster than 6C12T in almost every situation. Dunno if it's really worth selling your processor and upgrading though.

Is this true even for those of us who play heavily CPU-bound games like Total War, Stellaris, etc?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kestral posted:

Is this true even for those of us who play heavily CPU-bound games like Total War, Stellaris, etc?

The common rule-of-thumb is that hyperthreading can give you up to 30% more performance. In reality it's just scheduling stuff onto idle execution units, so it can be less, or zero, or negative (although that doesn't happen much anymore). Games are usually more like 10%.

This is 30% more real cores, so even in good cases for hyperthreading it should outperform HT.

Of course if your game is bottlenecked on a single thread (which I think Stellaris is) then nothing is going to help. The only thing you can do then is push clocks right to the firewall and run fast RAM.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 9, 2018

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Cygni posted:

AT has a huge round up of all the Z390 boards. Sure enough, it's H370 (really Q370, but whose counting) with overclocking on.

It's good to see 2.5G, 5G, and even 10G networking integrated into some of the boards. Looks like everybody doing it is using Aquantia chipsets.

(e: im dumb, Asrock is using the new low cost Realtek controller.)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13407/intel-z390-motherboard-overview-every-motherboard-analyzed/

Also that Asrock ITX board with the TB3 port is pretty rad

Well at least a low end 2.5G port is a step in the right direction. I'd LIKE a native 2.5G port natively on the next gen mobos as i'm sure this thing is going to have a noticeable cpu consumption.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

A 9700k is a good buy over an 8700k if building from scratch then? It’s only 30 more on amazon for two real cores

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

RME posted:

A 9700k is a good buy over an 8700k if building from scratch then? It’s only 30 more on amazon for two real cores

I'd do it even if they were the exact same chips except for the 9700k being soldered.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

RME posted:

If nothing else it's soldered, which is going to make a big difference in temps.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I hope the 9900K is actually gold-colored

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

incoherent posted:

Well at least a low end 2.5G port is a step in the right direction. I'd LIKE a native 2.5G port natively on the next gen mobos as i'm sure this thing is going to have a noticeable cpu consumption.

I think we will see it pretty soon for sure (well, like 1-2 years), since both Intel and AMD already have it integrated in their more SoC-style embedded stuff.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

sincx posted:

I wonder how much faster the 9900k is than my 6850k (4.2 all core OC).

BW was real close to Skylake IPC. So math would suggest ~12% faster at stock clocks (than your OC), plus 1.12 x 33% = 1.5x as fast in MT. Add another ~5% if you OC the 9900K.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Oh I understand that, I manually dialed the number after verifying it. I haven't had a chance to read it. I'll do that when I get home.

I don't think that would help with verifying who called you if they spoofed the Caller ID.

Llyd
Oct 9, 2012
I was planning on buying a 9700k/9600k to finally replace my 2500k and get some of that sweet soldered goodness but the prices here are mad:

i7 8086K - 569€
i9 9900K - 559€
i7 9700K - 549€
i7 8700K - 539€
(9600K is not listed yet but I guess it's gonna be 529€ :rolleyes:)

I guess everyone is using the 14nm shortage as an excuse.
Is it that bad ?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Llyd posted:

I was planning on buying a 9700k/9600k to finally replace my 2500k and get some of that sweet soldered goodness but the prices here are mad:

i7 8086K - 569€
i9 9900K - 559€
i7 9700K - 549€
i7 8700K - 539€
(9600K is not listed yet but I guess it's gonna be 529€ :rolleye:)

I guess everyone is using the 14nm shortage as an excuse.
Is it that bad ?

those are good prices considering the 20% VAT and the general increase in EU prices

Llyd
Oct 9, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

those are good prices considering the 20% VAT and the general increase in EU prices

I thought it was the US suffering from the tariffs and such.
I can get a Ryzen 7 2700x for 350€ for comparison.
The only thing Intel has at that level is the 8600K, the 7700K is still up at 420€.

I guess I'll wait for the initial rush to pass and see how that goes.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I'm really tempted by ryzen 2700x, I was looking at it recently and some shops do bundles where the the CPU+cooler, memory, motherboard and an SSD combined were just £530. A sole 8700k costs £470, it's a rip off.

Here's an example, on OCUK the 8700k on its own is £470 but you can get a loving shitload more on the AMD side of things

It's not even close. Who the gently caress would buy a 8700k right now? Prices are insane. AMD is absolutely exploiting the situation with these crazy giveaways they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Depends where you live/shop I guess.
You can get a 8700K for 429€ or an 8086K for 476€ in Germany, and something like a 8600 for budget gaming builds in the low 200's.
The 9 series are not even listed yet and prices you find could be preorder scalping.