Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

SRQ posted:

Mac Pros always used PCI-E, I have a 2006 downstairs that does.

The G4 and early G5 used AGP/PCI-X for a bit longer than they should have but, well that's what Apple does literally always.

the g5 was just a mac pro with a better name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

"macbook" is still a really stupid name too

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

and processors so god-awful that they needed liquid cooling lmao.

ibm was just throwing Apple the scraps from their server division and it shows.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it wasn't like some ricey HERE'S MY RADIATOR FROM AN OLD HEATER CORE AND MY OCZ NEON TINTED COOLANT water cooling, it was just a heatpipe. no reason to piss nails over it. every computer ended up getting one

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

it wasn't like some ricey HERE'S MY RADIATOR FROM AN OLD HEATER CORE AND MY OCZ NEON TINTED COOLANT water cooling, it was just a heatpipe. no reason to piss nails over it. every computer ended up getting one

it had an active pump, aren't heat pipes passive?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i wonder if some team in cupertino is working on Apple Search ala Apple Maps

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

it had an active pump and the first-gen ones were literally outsourced to a car radiator company and leaked.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

MY OCZ NEON TINTED COOLANT

also it was tinted, and it leaked a lot

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
CPUs by IBM, cooling by VAG

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ok i'm extremely wrong here and admit it

lol just lol

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yeah it was outsourced to Delphi, who makes car poo poo

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

the g5 was so bad that apple got desperate and prototyped a dual-cpu powerbook g4.

that is, the insanely huge drawbacks of a dual processor portable were preferable to trying to make a g5 work

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ppc was a disaster

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

i'd proudly use this lmao

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
going from the g4 powerbook to the first macbookpro felt faster than the first time you used an SSD

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

going from the g4 powerbook to the first macbookpro felt faster than the first time you used an SSD

we went g4 ibook to c2d blackbooks and god we partied

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

"macbook" is still a really stupid name too

playbook lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mad Wack posted:

i wonder if some team in cupertino is working on Apple Search ala Apple Maps

this would br terrrrriblle

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Shaggar posted:

ppc was a disaster

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

bring back PPC for the iPhone

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
the only company that didn't get totally dicked over by ppc chips was nintendo, who at least had the sense to not clock it above 750MHz.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
i remember those articles going 'why did Microsoft just buy 200 G5 Towers, are they porting windows to PPC' and they were just using them as 360 dev kits.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yep, bangs (the ! operator name in their lingo)
oh no

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Jonny 290 posted:

Jonny you made it so long, but finally it is your time

"ricer" and it's derivatives are racist

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

jit bull transpile posted:

Jonny you made it so long, but finally it is your time

"ricer" and it's derivatives are racist

what if it's spanish rice

or uncle ben's :ohdear:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

also it was tinted, and it leaked a lot

if you had one and the coolant started leaking the local apple store would just insta-swap it for a new Mac Pro. good times.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

I was very happy to discover the game Paladins, because it was like the ONE fun game I can play on my beloved 2010 mac pro. I was happily playing a round or two every night, until I installed Mojave. Now the mouse doesn't work and the developer has dropped support for macOS because they can't make it work. :(

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

PowerPC was a solid bet in 1993. The 486 was dogshit compared to literally everything else on an IPC level, the Pentium was unproven and the first-gen was hilariously high power usage. PowerPC had a lot of big names backing it, extremely good IPC, and Apple got a controlling stake in the project by jumping in like they did. Until, I'd say, 2002 it was at least competitive with Intel and for a long period in the 90s it ran circles around it. The G3 powerbook, 1997, was mindbogglingly fast compared to even the best PC desktop. It also made for a far better multiprocessor system than Intel due to the lower power usage, a G4 450 dual from 2000 didn't use much. It all scaled quite well from lower voltage mobiles to high voltage workstations. This also had the added benefit of being able to get your chips from a shitload of sources, which kept costs down. This also meant the end user could get upgrade cards, which were a thing right up until 2003. I have a 1.8ghz dual processor card from some rando corporation downstairs I'm trying to sell.

The G3 500 powerbook I have to my right makes basically no heat and can demolish a desktop Pentium 3 900.

By 2004 tho lmao no, Motorola had left and IBM didn't give a poo poo about the desktop/mobile space and was just throwing Apple scraps from their server development. The last-gen G4 powerbooks shipping in 2005 were so far behind even Core Solo it was comical, and the only time I can think of where the GPU in a mobile outpaced the CPU. 1.67 G4 with a Radeon 9700 lol.

Basically, it was a good idea but Motorola being poo poo and Wintel solidifying retroactively backed Apple into a corner. Had the ipod not worked out they probably woulda folded by 2006, or would have had to do the shameful of going wholly-hardware and abandoning MacOS.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 9, 2018

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Pike posted:

I was very happy to discover the game Paladins, because it was like the ONE fun game I can play on my beloved 2010 mac pro. I was happily playing a round or two every night, until I installed Mojave. Now the mouse doesn't work and the developer has dropped support for macOS because they can't make it work. :(

owned

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Captain Pike posted:

paladins players get what they deserve

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

i own a game on steam, torment tides of whatever, that claims macos support but hasn't worked since 10.12.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

SRQ posted:

PowerPC was a solid bet in 1993. The 486 was dogshit compared to literally everything else on an IPC level, the Pentium was unproven and the first-gen was hilariously high power usage. PowerPC had a lot of big names backing it, extremely good IPC, and Apple got a controlling stake in the project by jumping in like they did. Until, I'd say, 2002 it was at least competitive with Intel and for a long period in the 90s it ran circles around it. The G3 powerbook, 1997, was mindbogglingly fast compared to even the best PC desktop. It also made for a far better multiprocessor system than Intel due to the lower power usage, a G4 450 dual from 2000 didn't use much. It all scaled quite well from lower voltage mobiles to high voltage workstations. This also had the added benefit of being able to get your chips from a shitload of sources, which kept costs down. This also meant the end user could get upgrade cards, which were a thing right up until 2003. I have a 1.8ghz dual processor card from some rando corporation downstairs I'm trying to sell.

The G3 500 powerbook I have to my right makes basically no heat and can demolish a desktop Pentium 3 900.

By 2004 tho lmao no, Motorola had left and IBM didn't give a poo poo about the desktop/mobile space and was just throwing Apple scraps from their server development. The last-gen G4 powerbooks shipping in 2005 were so far behind even Core Solo it was comical, and the only time I can think of where the GPU in a mobile outpaced the CPU. 1.67 G4 with a Radeon 9700 lol.

Basically, it was a good idea but Motorola being poo poo and Wintel solidifying retroactively backed Apple into a corner. Had the ipod not worked out they probably woulda folded by 2006, or would have had to do the shameful of going wholly-hardware and abandoning MacOS.

ok

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

look man we all sperg out once in a while cut me some slack

i have 90s computer opinions

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

its not hate its just really late :same:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Captain Pike posted:

You have only yourself to blame for enjoying a thing and wishing to continue enjoying that thing.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

SRQ posted:

i own a game on steam, torment tides of whatever, that claims macos support but hasn't worked since 10.12.

i'm not sure if this is still the case (probably, lol) but apparently fortnite for mac has/had a bug where the first match you play sends you to a black screen for a full ten minutes (you're still in the game as far as the other players and server are concerned)

it works fine after that, lol

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

a triple-a game publisher can't be bothered to fix a major bug in one of the most popular games because the mac is so insignificant

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/macinteractive/status/1049577097872719872

lol good job apple

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i forget the apple tv even exists as a product most of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i forget the apple tv even exists as a product most of the time

i have it and its ok. i like it because of apple ecosystem integration, by otherwise i imagine every dog in the yard has an equally capable streaming box for less