Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

prisoner of waffles posted:

if it is all just propaganda, then it was a p. good effort (or maybe bloomberg is just being totally reckless and supermicro is already too hosed to sue them?)

Considering the DoD is currently agitating against Chinese manufacturing based on a recent Executive Order, it makes sense as a propaganda piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

video calls are popular with inmates at facilities with odd/bad regular visitation
probably because that becomes the only way to regularly see their family

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

iospace posted:

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1049285325137354752

Or as a fellow goon put it: "so it's a $150 ipad that only runs skype... or a $350 ipad that only runs skype"

"The Portal camera detects how many people are in the room and automatically pans out and zooms in based on the crowd. A microphone array detects and amplifies the voice of the person speaking even if that person moves."

depending on how well the automatic pan/zoom and microphone stuff works, i could see this getting used by professional streamers

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i had a boss that insisted we do video calls for meetings when it started becoming a thing, even though 3/4 of us were sitting together in the same room

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lambert posted:

Considering the DoD is currently agitating against Chinese manufacturing based on a recent Executive Order, it makes sense as a propaganda piece.

otoh it makes sense that the government and big business would send out press releases saying "we never got owned" when in fact they did get owned

basically

Attempting to read between the lines and understand What's Really Going On re nation state-and-megacorp intelligence ops as a member of the general public is already a silly game. I'm playing anyway because it's interesting how

did anyone ever think how

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

depending on how well the automatic pan/zoom and microphone stuff works, i could see this getting used by professional streamers

Absolutely not.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Roosevelt posted:

i had a boss that insisted we do video calls for meetings when it started becoming a thing, even though 3/4 of us were sitting together in the same room

we have a remote team and for a while one of the bosses insisted that we do full video calls with them at all times to "make them feel more welcome or like they're a close part of our team" except they're all dork-rear end programmers so it just made them intensely uncomfortable

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jonny 290 posted:

its for seeing your kids when you're on the road and seeing your partner's genitals when you're on the road and that's it (hopefully not on the same call?)

smh if you wouldn't livestream the beautiful moment of birth

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

haveblue posted:

smh if you wouldn't livestream the beautiful moment of birth

got to get a new 360˚ cam for that

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
what about.... video posting.............

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

President Beep posted:

Hard pass

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

President Beep posted:

ur mom's last show was pretty good

gotta remember to re-up on tokens

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

when im dying i'm gonna see the time flip over to 2:19 and be all "lol yospos bithc" and then the doctors will be like "sorry his mind is completely gone and rotted from dementia now, better pull the plug"

Lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

ur mom's last show was pretty good

gotta remember to re-up on tokens

i gotta a "show" for you...

*links foam adventure* :twisted:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

you are history's greatest monster

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

lancemantis posted:

yeah amazon has the look and the spot, both of which have the other Alexa features unlike the facebook device which is purely for video calls

the facebook device also has Alexa features (licensed from amazon)

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1049384501263130635

:rip: G+: thought of a privacy and died

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

maybe we'll get the + shortcut back in search

hahaha no. they don't care about search UX anymore that's old and tired but hey check out this hot new chat app

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jonny 290 posted:

now im hootin at the notion of 82 year old grandpa paying 70 bucks a month for comcast cable 'for the internet' but just connecting to xfinitywifi every time

i mean that's still the paid service they get, they won't notice the slightly worse speeds, and https defaults generally mean they won't even be hurt by sending in the clear on wifi

plus they can't tell they're not on the home wifi when they bring the bigphone they have to the senior center that also runs comcast modem, or their one friend's who is still alive in a different 55+ development on tiny townhouse lots where they're using a neighbors wifi router unknowningly

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

President Beep posted:

i gotta a "show" for you...

*links foam adventure* :twisted:
foam adventure is like the game, the only way to win is to never think of it

yes, were shuttering g+ because of security and definitely not because it has no users

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

thanks dick!!!! :argh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

foam adventure is like the game, the only way to win is to never think of it

but, but...

fwoaaaammmm OwO

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

dont

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

everyone keep your eyes peeled for my new foam advent calendar this holiday season!!!

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

whoa...

G+ has up to 500,000 users?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Glorgnole posted:

whoa...

G+ has up to 500,000 users?

pretty sure its just a default part of a google account.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

so that’s, what, two google social media products dead and buried now?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
counting google buzz or not?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

President Beep posted:

What was the first?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

What was the first?

wave, buzz, g+. there was a thriving if small community on reader which died

youtube is successful as hell, altho only young peeps think of it as social mediaish, i guess

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
orkut

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

i love that all orkut urls are still .aspx since they didn't want to break anybodies bookmarks

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

President Beep posted:

remember when buzz or g+ started and goog seeded everyones friends list with their email contacts and a bunch of psychiatrists etc had their patient lists exposed? good to know the service is going out as it started

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

google sucks

not as much as oracle tho

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

bob dobbs is dead posted:

youtube is successful as hell, altho only young peeps think of it as social mediaish, i guess
they also acquired yt after it beat the pants off their homemade google video product

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

wave, buzz, g+.

oh, poo poo! forgot about wave. lol.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

President Beep posted:

remember igoogle

i was tried to find that site that tracks dead google services but all i could find was articles from last year claiming that g+ isn't dead, lol

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

awww does gwaphy waphy not like the widdle posty wosty???

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Improbable Lobster posted:

remember igoogle

i was tried to find that site that tracks dead google services but all i could find was articles from last year claiming that g+ isn't dead, lol

https://www.wordstream.com/articles/retired-google-projects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
igoogle and reader are the two i miss the most