Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

meatpimp posted:

Man, I thought bringing some context to the discussion would help.

I guess the only thing that fits your requirements are people wheeling around guillotines on the street looking for CEOs and politicians to do.

I mean sure, but CommieGIR does kind of have a point. One of the things that Trump's election has revealed is that the large part of American libertarianism is really kind of a sham. They aren't about small government, they're about using government as a lever to screw with people they don't like. Trump can carry on like a king as long as Mexicans are getting harassed and liberals are getting angry.

That isn't to say that there aren't anti-authoritarian/minarchist ideologies and their adherents out there, but there's not really that many that have that as an end in itself, I don't think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
I didn't vote for Trump (not that it would have mattered, as I still lived in Cali in November), but the only thing his election proved is that Clinton was a horrible horrible horrible candidate all the way 'round and that people get pissed enough to show up when they are continually called racist and deplorable. And that I hope he gets primaried in 2020, because I really don't want to have to vote for him over Booker or Harris or another one of the crazies that are gonna go up against him in 2020.

You are a right social libertarian.
Right: 4.68, Libertarian: 4.56

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Actually the only thing his election proved was that the right wing/republican party is nothing but a ghastly spite machine, and the backlash that the racist-core of that party felt as a result of being subjugated by a black man being president, in THEIR COUNTRY, for 8 years, was strong enough to elect literally the stupidest man in the world to president - as long as it owned the libs.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

ilkhan posted:

but the only thing his election proved is that Clinton was a horrible horrible horrible candidate all the way 'round and that people get pissed enough to show up when they are continually called racist and deplorable.

I don't like Trump, didn't vote for him, but drat if this isn't right. The loving morons running the Democratic party never took Trump seriously, never bothered to even address the people he was catering too (Bernie did, but I mean, it's Bernie). Then there's that whole Iowa caucus coin toss bullshit; What kind of system is that? A bullshit one. Some kind of recognition of a gently caress up would be nice, but will never happen.

I feel like the basic party line this time around is just going to be more "Well yeah Trump sucks and his supporters are deplorable."

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

There's also a huge issue with rural states being over represented and of course gerrymandering. I'm much more in favor of a representative democracy that actually follows what the majority dictates and that in other branches of government you have proportionate representation based on populations.

With the system as it currently is living in a high population state or large city means your vote/say is worth less than that of the people living in more rural areas. I don't blame people feeling hopeless when it turns out their say doesn't matter because their voting district is gerrymandered to be majority conservative. The system is broken in the US and I don't see it getting better until the representation of the population is improved.

Reading about US politics has been pretty :smith: lately.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

To the guillotines.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Everyone who supports wanton guillotining should be guillotined.

...oh gently caress.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

QuarkMartial posted:

I feel like the basic party line this time around is just going to be more "Well yeah Trump sucks and his supporters are deplorable."

"This rabid orangutan is ripping everyone's face off, and we should do something about it"

How about come up with a more catchy slogan before I start caring, amirite?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'm seeing the light...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Ether Frenzy posted:

"This rabid orangutan is ripping everyone's face off, and we should do something about it"

How about come up with a more catchy slogan before I start caring, amirite?

Bring back iambic pentameter. Or maybe a limerick?

I'd settle for an acrostic, done rightly.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
there once was a dangerous ape
who's party of choice condoned rape
he liked piss tapes and golf
and SCOTUS justices who ralph
and then boofed the country until it could 'gape'

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Everyone who supports wanton guillotining should be guillotined.

...oh gently caress.

Who said it was wanton? We want to guillotine a very targeted bunch of assholees who have lead us all off the cliff.

At the least, the Buggerup solution of jailing politicans and lobbyists because it just saves time is a good one.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Who said it was wanton? We want to guillotine a very targeted bunch of assholees who have lead us all off the cliff.

At the least, the Buggerup solution of jailing politicans and lobbyists because it just saves time is a good one.

Due process or go live in mexico/china/any other shithole.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Can we give them the "due process" most people receive? Strong-arm them into a confession with the threat of massively punitive punishment if they don't, and they get to meet their attorney for the first time five minutes before their trial begins - which is all the time said attorney has to prepare.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

QuarkMartial posted:

I don't like Trump, didn't vote for him, but drat if this isn't right. The loving morons running the Democratic party never took Trump seriously, never bothered to even address the people he was catering too (Bernie did, but I mean, it's Bernie). Then there's that whole Iowa caucus coin toss bullshit; What kind of system is that? A bullshit one. Some kind of recognition of a gently caress up would be nice, but will never happen.

remember republicans can call democrats every terrible thing under the sun but they have the right to be really upset forever because a lovely politician called them deplorable

and yes hillary was an believably lovely candidate but you cant pretend that tons of republican voters would never vote for a democrat no matter who the candidate is

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 9, 2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So.... a shithole like the USA, or you didnt you notice due process only really exists for drunk white frat boys? At least in Skippyland cops that shoot blacks get arrested and charged without a howling mob screaming for justice first.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I like wonton soup

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'm still undecided between this for efficiency:

Or if the guillotine is too quick of a method.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Bajaha posted:

The French had the right idea, they just weren't thinking on a grand enough scale...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Bajaha posted:

Actually the blade is the easy bit. There's industrial shear blades that can be retasked to suit the application. Also we can use the hydralics to raise the blade

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Actually the blade is the easy bit. There's industrial shear blades that can be retasked to suit the application. Also we can use the hydralics to raise the blade

With enough speed, a taut wire is all you need anyway.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Physical cutting surfaces? So 18th-century. What we need are those security lasers from Resident Evil.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It would make more sense to section the blade anyway, for ease of maintenance. You'd have a primary beam and then a blade per head or three.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn80EAikqjs&t=60s

I'm not necessarily posting this video in relation to any other discussions on this page, I just think it's neat.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
45.25" is the most common length of modern guillotine blade, actually. 115cm for my fellow non-Americans. They come in 54" or 137cm too.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 9, 2018

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

CommieGIR posted:

That's what station Wagons are for.

He's alive. 8lbs 10 ounces.

Thank goodness we did a pre-emptive c section, he had his cord loosely around his neck.

Congrats!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

64bit_Dophins posted:

I would just get off facebook man it's seriously not worth it and your data is being mined just to make it worse.

Welcome to the Accord club. ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

We’re now a two accord family, I have a 2014 Hybrid.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

I should dig my copies of Trotsky's books out of storage

Time to restart the Permanent Revolution

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

https://twitter.com/mrfeelswildride/status/1014230951105159169

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

people get pissed enough to show up when they are continually called racist and deplorable

If someone calls you X, I think the idea is that you're supposed to try and prove them wrong. Unless you are X and proud of it, of course.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Does that mean that you'll join me in creating the Fifth International?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

T-Square posted:

Man, all of this politi-chat reminds me I have to have my birthday dinner later this month with my entirely Conservative and mildly racist family. :suicide:

GF and I are both decently left. Neither of us are religious either (she was brought up Catholic, I was brought up Baptist), while my mom and stepdad are Bible thumpers.

We're having Thanksgiving dinner with my far right mother and stepfather :suicide:, staying the night there, then flying to our hometown for several days (turns out it's a shitload cheaper to fly out of Dallas vs Austin to our hometown, despite the distance being less from here to hometown).

Flying to our hometown to see my dad and her mother. Dad considers himself "conservative" (as you'd expect from an older white guy who works in financial services), but is an avid NPR listener, can't stand Chester Cheeto, and isn't a fan of our current governor or senators in TX. Her mom is solid blue (as you'd probably expect from a retired university professor that didn't teach political science), and also an avid NPR listener + PBS viewer.

I have a feeling our hometown visit will be a lot more pleasant.

meatpimp posted:

Alright, youse guys got me looking into it, and through the spectrum quizzes, I have shifted more left, but not extremist. The quiz below labeled me "You are a left moderate social libertarian."

https://www.gotoquiz.com/politics/political-spectrum-quiz.html

Here's where I ended up. Put your ideologies where your typing fingers are.

5.59, 5.7, "left social libertarian".

Didn't expect to score so high on the libertarian side, and expected to be a lot further left. :shrug:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 9, 2018

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Pretty sure this is the level of discourse the social media bubble has marginalized and radicalized at the same time, a clever trick the Nazis pulled. Speaking of the Nazis...

edit: when Adiabatic is in on the politics chat and ilkhan isnt taking neo-convservative pot shots with chud ammo, we got a pretty good thing coming. Just remember that libertarianism has a ridiculous oversimplification bent nowdays, which unless you actually studied the thought (I haven't), it breeds monsters.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 9, 2018

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Door Frame posted:

Allow me to recommend some Kropotkin as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conquest_of_Bread

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Bob Woodward's new book just arrived at my library.

I placed a hold on it the day I got my library card. I'm #1 in line once it goes from receiving to shelf. :neckbeard:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Fender Anarchist posted:

8.03/3.4, frankly I'm shocked I'm not more left wing. And presumably that's libertarian and not Libertarian, cause... hoo boy.

Frankly I think it's cause a lot of the questions were phrased as "should the government set standards of moral behavior?" and my knee-jerk reaction is "well, not this fuckin government."

Yeah, that question came across as loaded to me. While yes, there are some standards the government should set for moral behavior like 'don't loving lynch people for their race', there's a lot more it shouldn't be enforcing like 'it's not cool to refuse people medical care because your religion says so'.

Also, 8.1/3.5.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

DJ Commie posted:

Pretty sure this is the level of discourse the social media bubble has marginalized and radicalized at the same time, a clever trick the Nazis pulled. Speaking of the Nazis...

edit: when Adiabatic is in on the politics chat and ilkhan isnt taking neo-convservative pot shots with chud ammo, we got a pretty good thing coming. Just remember that libertarianism has a ridiculous oversimplification bent nowdays, which unless you actually studied the thought (I haven't), it breeds monsters.

So I'm a Punch the Nazi? Accurate. I have been advocating punch Nazis 24/7

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Finally a chart I can get behind. Pity the only government I could trust would be 10 clones of myself.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Finally a chart I can get behind. Pity the only government I could trust would be 10 clones of myself.
Too much risk of desending into some kind of Highlander scenario for me. And you'd end up with an odd balance between Zaphod Beeblebrox and Havelock Vetinari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Seems like I'm a Shoot the Nazi (7.67 left, 1.7 authoritarian). I think I'm ok with it,

• Locked thread