Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
And you people still voted QLD

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
How is everyone enjoying daylight savings? not you anidav

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

https://twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/1049073643580342272?s=20

the slanderyou caucus

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Jesus, just join the loving Liberal Party and be done with it.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Wait... Labor ... bad?

SAY IT AIN'T FUKKIN SO.

EDIT: Speaking of goonreunion, pretty sure J.R Hennessy, noted good tweeter also used to post here.

EDIT2: Not going to say username because of non doxxing reasons.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

There was a long Good Weekend piece earlier in the year about her and Landeryou.

They are massive fuckwits.

quote:

"I was never attracted to the far Left," she says. "The centre of politics is where the gravitas and responsibility lies." In her maiden speech, Kitching talked with a passion for small government, saying: "Our duty as elected representatives is to check and limit the inexorable growth of the state and of the taxes that sustain the state."

quote:

"Kimberley is a very charming, warm, engaging, highly intelligent moral vacuum," a senior figure from the Labor Left says.

quote:

Kitching's friend John Roskam, executive director of the free-market Institute of Public Affairs think tank, says she is part of a "dying breed" in the Labor Party. "She represents traditional Labor Right values in a party that is being dragged to the left. She doesn't hate capitalism, she doesn't hate employers, she would view the Greens as just as much an enemy of the Labor Party as the Liberals."

quote:

Kitching opposes giving rank-and-file members a say on the grounds it could drive the party too far to the left and make it unelectable. She offers a quote from Napoleon Bonaparte: "Lofty principles butter no bread and grease no wheels."

I can find no evidence that Bonaparte ever said this

quote:

A day after our lunch, I meet Kitching at her favourite brunch spot, Lolo & Wren, a hipster-friendly cafe in Melbourne's inner north. When I arrive she's there, clad in a stylish grey poncho, with four Saturday newspapers in front of her. I'd expected her to be alone but Landeryou is present as well. So are their dogs Ronnie and Nancy-Jane, a pair of fluffy white cavoodles named after Ronald Reagan, Landeryou's political hero, and the late US president's two wives.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

"The left is [inherently] unelectable" is the same propaganda dribble Murdoch has poisoned the last 25 years of British politices with, and has been trying, and so far failing, to use to get UK Labor to kill Jeremy Corbyn from within.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Economic Update with Richard D. Wolff is a good podcast listen.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

You know someone is full of poo poo with a phrase like "traditional Labor Right values", in whose loving universe does that apply.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
How can anyone have Reagan as an unirronic hero? What the gently caress Laybor purge this idiot lib.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

SMH Fairfax posted:

New migrants will be forced to live outside Sydney and Melbourne for up to five years under a federal government plan to ease congestion in the nation's most populous cities.

Migrants will be granted restricted visas to counter growth in those cities, which has outstripped forecasts by 100 per cent in the past decade, Population and Urban Infrastructure Minister Alan Tudge said.

"The key issue here is the distribution of the growth rather than the growth number," Mr Tudge said on ABC Breakfast on Tuesday morning.

"If we had a better distribution of the growth, we wouldn't have quite the same pressure that we have on Melbourne and Sydney and south-east Queensland."

Mr Tudge said some of the smaller states and regional areas were "crying out for more workers".

"I've spoken to the South Australian Premier and he said that he wants to grow the state of South Australia by 20,000 people every year and he'll have the work there to do it, so the work is there," he said.

"There are regional areas and smaller states that want to grow more quickly, and it takes pressure off the bigger populations."

While the minister said the new migrants would be compelled to stay in regional areas for "at least a few years", he could not say how the government would enforce that visa condition.

"When someone is on a visa, we can easily place conditions on it. We haven't announced all of the details of exactly how to do that, but it's reasonably straightforward," Mr Tudge said.

As well, Canberra will work with the states to implement new infrastructure planning and population controls under its proposed population policy, to claw back some of the $25 billion year in lost economic activity due to city congestion, The Australian reports.

A recent ReachTel poll for Fairfax Media showed that overdevelopment remained a key issue for voters, as the state and federal governments face the pressure of worsening congestion and population growth.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
party of small government

Also party of policing internal migration

lol

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

OMG she really looks like one of those people who hate on the left and have their radio locked on to right wing talk back radio

EDIT: I'd love to see her having a blue with Doug Cameron, he must hate her guts

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Whenever you see someone use the term “inner city elites”, chances are they’re an rear end in a top hat.

Why would she join the Labor party if she holds these views? Bizarre. Really bizarre.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
https://twitter.com/chaser/status/1049338812466257924?s=21

That’s Alan Jones’ actual number apparently hahah

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Dude McAwesome posted:

Whenever you see someone use the term “inner city elites”, chances are they’re an rear end in a top hat.

Why would she join the Labor party if she holds these views? Bizarre. Really bizarre.

Because you know that one gen X single dad on your friends list who frequently posts lovely right wing thinkpieces prefaced with 'I've always said the biggest problem with the left is...", But proudly supports Labor come election time? The one who shares every single negative article about the greens with no comment (unless it's about SHY)? You know that guy? Mr 'Sensible Centre'?

That's most of the Labor right.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Anidav posted:

And you people still voted QLD

nsw was a close second i thought

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i guess that is changing from within

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

hambeet posted:

nsw was a close second i thought

Nah someone set up a bot that voted for Queensland 100 times

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-09/environment-minister-says-calls-to-end-coal-drawing-long-bow/10354604

quote:

Federal Environment Minister Melissa Price has argued some of the world's leading climate scientists are "drawing a long bow" in calling for an end to coal power in a bid to limit global warming.

The Minister, who used to work in the mining sector, suggested the 91 scientists behind the IPCC report had got it wrong.
"I just don't know how you could say by 2050 that you're not going to have technology that's going to enable good, clean technology when it comes to coal," she said.
"That would be irresponsible of us to be able to commit to that."
It would be irresponsible to move to current clean technologies, instead we're going to assume that in thirty years' time some other technology will have been invented

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/politicsabc/status/1049431443674292224

We are so hosed

efb

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I want Bill Shorten to get in and just gently caress up the coal industry.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
He won't

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I mean maybe not on purpose,

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

monkeu posted:

https://twitter.com/chaser/status/1049338812466257924?s=21

That’s Alan Jones’ actual number apparently hahah

quote:

on his Tuesday morning, show, Jones said "the Alan Jones haters have marshalled themselves. Its just impossible; there are anonymous phone calls on my phone every minute," he said.

:yaycloud:

Probably the most worthwhile thing the Chaser guys have done in a few years

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dude McAwesome posted:

quote:

In 2001, Landeryou and Kitching bought Wardlow, a heritage-listed mansion in the well-to-do inner-city suburb of Parkville, paying $1.175 million for it. A real-estate listing from the time boasted of its "cigar room", "servants' wings" and "formal dining room". Fans of the ABC series Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries will recognise it as the exterior of protagonist Phryne Fisher's house.

By now in their early 30s, the pair would host parties at home that guests still compare to the lavish soirées in F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel The Great Gatsby. "It was a who's who of up-and-coming Melbourne, people from business, unions, the arts," one attendee recalls. "They were living the high life." Kitching was also driving a $92,000 series 5 BMW.

People who live(d) in heritage listed houses shouldn't throw stones.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Even Thatcher had decent views on climate change. loving Thatcher.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zenithe posted:

Even Thatcher had decent views on climate change. loving Thatcher.

That just carried over from her hatred of coal miners.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
So why did Albo side with the horse racers while Shorten is taking the position of the opera house isn't a billboard. The hell is going on.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Lid posted:

So why did Albo side with the horse racers while Shorten is taking the position of the opera house isn't a billboard. The hell is going on.

Albo hedging his bets for if Labor fucks up the election

You’ll notice he’s not featured in any of the official Fair Shake Of The Sauce Bottle Action Plan photos since he’s been carefully positioning himself as a more business friendly alternative to Shorten

gently caress him

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Albo's since backtracked a bit, either because he didn't know the specifics of what was requested or because he realised disagreeing with Shorten over something like this was a bad idea.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Got a Labor survey for what they should be campaigning on. Y'know, better hospitals, rolling back penalty rates changes, taxing multinationals. All good stuff.

Absolutely no mention of asylum seekers whatsoever. Luckily there's a free text field to finish the survey with a fairly high character count, I discovered :getin:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Don Dongington posted:

Because you know that one gen X single dad on your friends list who frequently posts lovely right wing thinkpieces prefaced with 'I've always said the biggest problem with the left is...", But proudly supports Labor come election time? The one who shares every single negative article about the greens with no comment (unless it's about SHY)? You know that guy? Mr 'Sensible Centre'?

That's most of the Labor right.

Albo is slowly becoming this guy. Except for the greens sledging, that's been going on for years.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Anidav posted:

Nah someone set up a bot that voted for Queensland 100 times

lol, dav, you need to face facts

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Albo's since backtracked a bit, either because he didn't know the specifics of what was requested or because he realised disagreeing with Shorten over something like this was a bad idea.

My bet is he backed Foley before realising I'm backing Luke Foley what the gently caress am I doing.

It's nice this bipartisan supported policy has unified nsw against both parties.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/abcsydney/status/1049399755296583680

Alan Jones issues a heartfelt and genuine apology.

Lid posted:

My bet is he backed Foley before realising I'm backing Luke Foley what the gently caress am I doing.
Makes sense, although it relies on remembering Foley exists.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Kitching flipped a coin a joined a major party. It's not about acheiving anything other than a pay packet.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Amoeba102 posted:

Kitching flipped a coin a joined a major party. It's not about acheiving anything other than a pay packet.

I don't think it's quite so random - it's clearly about who she knew at the time, but yes definitely nothing to do with her personal politics/worldview/lack of a soul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

On his Tuesday morning show, Mr Jones said he was receiving anonymous calls on his phone "every minute".

"Certainly the Alan Jones haters have marshalled themselves," he said.

0413 873 873

• Locked thread