Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Danakir posted:

What show is that?

book skeleton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
For the record, I recommend checking out the Hakone Ekiden on Wikipedia. It’s pretty wild.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
me, softcore punk gay blob: lovey dovey neko boyfriends allowed

her, hardcore punk lesbian: gei komi hard muscle gently caress ONLY

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

me, softcore punk gay blob: lovey dovey neko boyfriends allowed

her, hardcore punk lesbian: gei komi hard muscle gently caress ONLY

Are we talking skeleton bookshop or Double Decker here?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Darth Walrus posted:

I feel like we already got the answer to that - a solidly-executed ‘band of misfits aim for impossible goal’ show in the vein of A Place Further Than The Universe. It doesn’t seem like the sort of setup and execution that promises big surprises down the line - the premiere was very ‘trust us, we know what we’re doing’.
You're not wrong, but I guess I'm just wondering where itll go in the Comedy and Drama spectrum. Antarctica seems like it might be a good comparison. I'm not expecting a twist or anything, but just curious what its flow will be

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Darth Walrus posted:

For the record, I recommend checking out the Hakone Ekiden on Wikipedia. It’s pretty wild.
I love how it in detail it is and how they describe which member of the team usually runs it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

You're not wrong, but I guess I'm just wondering where itll go in the Comedy and Drama spectrum. Antarctica seems like it might be a good comparison. I'm not expecting a twist or anything, but just curious what its flow will be

I mean, our protag is a teen shoplifter, and the team leader has a really ugly busted knee, so it’s bringing in some heavier elements alongside the goofy comedy. Middle-ground dramedy definitely feels the most likely option.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hy_C posted:

:shrug: It's the same to me as Berserk. Bad guy does bad thing, good guy kills lots of them.
You suffer from complete media illiteracy, my apologies.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Roth posted:

Why do so many Tolkien-esque fantasy anime use RPG mechanics as a part of the actual world anyway?

I feel like that Adventures' Guild where the main characters get quests from could be from any 50 fantasy anime.

the sheet the guild lady hands to priest in gobbuslay is literally a 5e character sheet

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Because nobody wants to make just a straight fantasy series anymore, it's gotta be an RPG parody or an isekai or an MMO or something.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I was going to say chaika was pretty good straight up fantasy and noticed its been 4 years already since it came out holy poo poo times flies

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Because nobody wants to make just a straight fantasy series anymore, it's gotta be an RPG parody or an isekai or an MMO or something.

Anymore? Western fantasy anime literally has its origins in D&D. This poo poo is baked in deep.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I can see like four in this season alone

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wow, i wasn't expecting such a strong and cool visual style from the Slime show. I'm pretty impressed and I'm only 15 minutes in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

goblin slayer literally started as a 2chan meme choose your own adventure thread where a dark souls character and a dragon quest 3 priest interacted with a bunch of random anime expies while killing goblins, and there were a bunch of shitposts about goblin rape and goblin slayer's massive dick and guts from berserk showing up to give goblin slayer a thumbs up, and all of that was basically carried 1:1 into the web novel. and thats literally the core of the franchise

whos your favorite goblin slayer character mine is lancer from fsn

anyway that A) owns and B) also kind of explains why the entire thing feels so poor at worldbuilding and so juvenile

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
did they keep obvious lancer and guts analogues around?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Are we talking skeleton bookshop or Double Decker here?

im curious how exactly this would apply to double decker

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Darth Walrus posted:

Anymore? Western fantasy anime literally has its origins in D&D. This poo poo is baked in deep.

Of course D&D (and Tolkien by proxy) has had enormous and lasting influence on fantasy as a genre since it was created in the 70's, but a fantasy work can lean on that aesthetic without breaking the 4th wall and literally taking place inside a game world, or having baked-in overt game mechanics, or having characters come from other worlds/our world. The 90's classic Slayers is a good example; the setting is self-contained and cohesive, so the characters feel like they're real and they belong there.

There's no anime coming out these days that's just plain set in a western fantasy setting without the other bullshit. I wish there were more shows like that, because I feel like setting a story inside a game world and/or having a character from modern day Earth really robs a fantasy show of its dramatic weight and ruins suspension of disbelief.

e - Shoutout to Mahōjin Guru Guru though, that's good stuff regardless of the very JRPG setting.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 9, 2018

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

the reveal that goblin slayer is actually a forums joke almost made all those bad posts worth it

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Shirayuki Hime and Yona off the top of my head and I don't follow fantasy at all

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Mentat Radnor posted:

e - Shoutout to Mahōjin Guru Guru though, that's good stuff regardless of the very JRPG setting.

I didn't read the rest of this post but hell yea guru guru rules

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
That Maria the Virgin Witch was only a few years ago too wasn't it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's hosed up that we have gone so many posts without a single mention of Grancrest, which aired for the first six months of this year

nobody can complain if they sleep on the good fantasy series!!!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
This is based on a game but the trailer at least doesn't show any very game-y things and the description doesn't mention any isekai/mmo stuff at all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZos09X8c1o

There's also Little Witch Academia

Beginning to think these 'there's no fantasy except isekai anymore!' posts aren't the most thought out

Knorth fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 9, 2018

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Knorth posted:

That Maria the Virgin Witch was only a few years ago too wasn't it

Yeah, and it was good, but it was explicitly set in medieval France, on Earth. I would call it something like Supernatural Historical Fiction(?) rather than Fantasy.

dogsicle posted:

it's hosed up that we have gone so many posts without a single mention of Grancrest, which aired for the first six months of this year

nobody can complain if they sleep on the good fantasy series!!!

Oh drat you're absolutely right, I loved Lodoss War as a teenager and I forgot to watch Grancrest. I'll fix that!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
There's also whatever Radiant is

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mentat Radnor posted:

Yeah, and it was good, but it was explicitly set in medieval France, on Earth. I would call it something like Supernatural Historical Fiction(?) rather than Fantasy.

Oh drat you're absolutely right, I loved Lodoss War as a teenager and I forgot to watch Grancrest. I'll fix that!
Do it. It's an absolute blast and if anything, I'd say it's one of the better "D&D/Sword World campaign adapted as a novel/manga/anime". It's probably better than Lodoss and probably up there with stuff like early Slayers.

Also, is The Devil is a Part-timer! the only "reverse-isekai" that's gotten popular?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
What was that one that was literally some manga authors' tabletop campaign together?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the only important d&d anime is Slayers

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Knorth posted:

What was that one that was literally some manga authors' tabletop campaign together?
Chaos Dragon? The one with characters created by Narita, Urobuchi and Nasu?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yea that was it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i had watched chaika through hulu and they never got the second season which was very rude to me personally

i know it was on crunchyroll but i was lazy and already watching it on hulu

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Wark Say posted:

Do it. It's an absolute blast and if anything, I'd say it's one of the better "D&D/Sword World campaign adapted as a novel/manga/anime". It's probably better than Lodoss and probably up there with stuff like early Slayers.

Oh wow, that's high praise to my ears!

Wark Say posted:

Also, is The Devil is a Part-timer! the only "reverse-isekai" that's gotten popular?

There's that recent one with the chill generic Japanese restaurant that lets in folks from other worlds, does that count? It was kinda nice.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the other big selling point to Grancrest is it's directed by the same guy who did Rakugo, and despite some production issues late into the run it looks consistently great either due to layouts or animation.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mentat Radnor posted:

Oh wow, that's high praise to my ears!

There's that recent one with the chill generic Japanese restaurant that lets in folks from other worlds, does that count? It was kinda nice.
Restaurant to Another World, right? Yeah, that was pretty chill. :3:

dogsicle posted:

the other big selling point to Grancrest is it's directed by the same guy who did Rakugo, and despite some production issues late into the run it looks consistently great either due to layouts or animation.
That's pretty cool! Also, and if I'm not mistaken, the anime more or less covers the (ten) novels in it's entirety, doesn't it?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i would assume so, since everything tied up so nicely at the end. the novels completed in March but ofc the staff probably knew everything they needed in advance.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I found Grandcrest to have some major pacing problems. It would skip over what felt like pretty major events

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i also heard good stuff about moribito

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Roth posted:

Why do so many Tolkien-esque fantasy anime use RPG mechanics as a part of the actual world anyway?

I feel like that Adventures' Guild where the main characters get quests from could be from any 50 fantasy anime.

Tolkienesque fantasy is expressly about copying the same familiar elements over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
chaos dragon turned out to be terrible, no?