Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

The Kins posted:

This Serious Tactical Action Game is very silly. Has anyone else been replaying it recently?

I didn't see any nut shots in these videos. You're not playing it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

GAMERS RISE UP

BOTTOM TEXT

GAMERS LIVE IN

A SOCIETY

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Vakal posted:

I didn't see any nut shots in these videos. You're not playing it right.
I left out the 15 mins or so of sack-whacking before the grenade clip.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
i forgot how much the OST to soldier of fortune is just So Much

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Would you mind putting up a zip of that source port, it looks like activision sent the devs a c&d after sof got put on gog

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

site posted:

Would you mind putting up a zip of that source port, it looks like activision sent the devs a c&d after sof got put on gog
Someone posted a Dropbox mirror on the GOG forums, in the "RIP SOFPLUS" thread.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I should give Soldier of Fortune a replay one of these days. I think I last played 2 circa release, SoF1 somewhere in 2007-2009 and Payback's a bit more complicated. It was the first game I tried when I upgraded from an Ati9800/Pentium4/512mb RAM to a GTX8800, Q6600 and 4GB DDR2 RAM in very early 2008 so I was naturally impressed by the graphics even if it's an extremely mediocre game. I remember replaying it two or three times between then and 2011 and having some fun for the two hours before it goes full hog with the instakill enemies for the last hour.

If they ever revive the franchise (they won't) I'd prefer if they went back to 1's gameplay since I recall 2 was very boring to actually play despite the improved gore system. I think it tried to be more tactical so you died way more easily, and there were also stealth missions? I reached the infamous jungle level when it came out then again when it was on GameTap in the good old days and gave up there both times.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Kins posted:

Someone posted a Dropbox mirror on the GOG forums, in the "RIP SOFPLUS" thread.

Cool I'll check that out, thanks

site fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 8, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When SoF 1 came out I was playing all manner of ultraviolent FPS games and even then I thought "wow, the level of violence here is mean-spirited and distasteful."

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

I left out the 15 mins or so of sack-whacking before the grenade clip.

yeah but what about ingame footage

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

https://twitter.com/doom_txt/status/1049323531522138117

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't know anything about Doom speedrunning, but why is he sometimes firing guns at nothing in particular?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

quote:

And no, this is not possible without TAS. This is the only idea that has proven to work, so a non-TAS demo is unlikely.

Well which is it

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

haveblue posted:

I don't know anything about Doom speedrunning, but why is he sometimes firing guns at nothing in particular?
It's a TAS, so he's probably manipulating the RNG to spawn more Archviles.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

It's a TAS, so he's probably manipulating the RNG to spawn more Archviles.

The description says he wasn't and he spent hours waiting for a run where 30 Archviles spawned in a reasonable amount of time with the 2/256 chance from the cube. My guess is it has something to do with waking the monsters?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

haveblue posted:

A couple of reasons:

- Firing your gun wakes up sleeping/inactive monsters who are within earshot, useful if they're in another room and you want them to activate and start wandering around
- Shooting monsters that are way above or below, since you can't look up in Doom gunshots will auto-target anything you're aligned with horizontally
- Shooting an enemy way far away to stagger them, which makes it stop whatever it was doing and reset to its neutral pissed off state

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 8, 2018

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Fallom posted:

The description says he wasn't and he spent hours waiting for a run where 30 Archviles spawned in a reasonable amount of time with the 2/256 chance from the cube. My guess is it has something to do with waking the monsters?
No, the description doesn't appear to say anywhere that he wasn't manipulting RNG - in fact, it explicitly says he is:

quote:

According to doomwiki.org there's a 2/256 (0.78%) chance of an arch-vile spawning from the cube. Sometimes I get them in a few tries... however sometimes I have to try several 100's of times. Impossible to say how many times I've had to manipulate RNG at this point.
It does also say it took him "many many hours", but, well, TASes aren't quick to make. There's a lot of going back and trying different actions on different frames to produce the ideal outcome involved.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
For a pacifist demo, however, you're not allowed to shoot at monsters, and there are no shootable switches in this level. So waking monsters up and RNG fiddling are the only possible explanations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

No, the description doesn't appear to say anywhere that he wasn't manipulting RNG - in fact, it explicitly says he is:
It does also say it took him "many many hours", but, well, TASes aren't quick to make. There's a lot of going back and trying different actions on different frames to produce the ideal outcome involved.

What's he doing to manipulate it? Saying "Sometimes I get them in a few tries... however sometimes I have to try several 100's of times" makes it sound like he's just restarting the level.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I assume it's because enemies that come out of the cubes aren't aggroed on you by default unless a certain criteria is met, so he's manipulating that by shooting to make them active and do stuff when he needs it. Might be wrong though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

At the start he's clearly shooting to manipulate the RNG and the first spawns are Arch-Viles, but after that there are probably too many monsters making too many RNG calls per second for manipulation to be possible, even with tick-perfect demo editing. So I guess he did many hours of attempts until he managed to get enough Arch-Viles to spawn within a short enough time.

After the first few spawns it looks to me like he's shooting to activate monsters, probably so they move away from their spawns so they don't get telefragged by further spawns. A bunch of times he shoots (but not all the times) I hear an Arch-Vile aggro, which will get it off the spawn position so it won't get killed since he wants the Arch-Viles to accumulate.

edit: actually a bunch of the times he shoots for more than a couple of shots there seems to be an Arch-Vile spawn shortly after so it looks like there's still RNG manipulation going on even with so much crap running around. Also, the Arch-Viles all seem to be spawning on the upper level so there's probably some manipulation going on to make that happen

edit 2: I made it to the end; looks like he's also manipulating when the Arch-Viles begin their attacks to get the timing just right so he remains in the air until the Icon of sin is dead

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 8, 2018

Vakal
May 11, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

When SoF 1 came out I was playing all manner of ultraviolent FPS games and even then I thought "wow, the level of violence here is mean-spirited and distasteful."

It kind of was. I remember the main bad guy in one of the game's cutscenes having a bunch of office workers tied up and was trying to get a password from them.

As soon as one of them said they didn't know it or started trying to plead, he just instantly shot them in head and went to the next person and repeated the question.

These days that's nothing special with similar things happening in every COD game for over the last decade, but back at the time it was a frank portrayal of violence that I can't think of any other games showing up to that point besides maybe Postal.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Fallom posted:

What's he doing to manipulate it? Saying "Sometimes I get them in a few tries... however sometimes I have to try several 100's of times" makes it sound like he's just restarting the level.
Basically, every random event in the game calls the same code, which advances a single pointer through an array of 256 values (looping back to the start once it hits the end). Thus, you can manipulate later calls to the random-number generator by putting in more earlier calls ahead of it. Obviously the monster-spawning code calls the random number generator, since the monster that pops out isn't predetermined until the monster actually spawns, so it's manipulable. Just need something that consistently calls the RNG code that can be easily done... like firing your weapon, as that calls the RNG code to determine the spread (at least, after the first shot, which IIRC is usually dead-on).

Also, with TAS, you can do your 100s of attempts within the span of a few in-game seconds, by delaying your pistol firing a tic here or a tic there to see if the RNG calls change to your favor. I don't think he's completely starting over from scratch every single time, though I don't doubt he had to do that a few times too.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I couldn’t watch the video in full because I’m on my phone but what ends up killing the icon of sin? He dies inside the head but as far as I know that doesn’t end the level, does it? Don’t you have to kill the actual head?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Pathos posted:

I couldn’t watch the video in full because I’m on my phone but what ends up killing the icon of sin? He dies inside the head but as far as I know that doesn’t end the level, does it? Don’t you have to kill the actual head?

Perfect Avatar/post combo.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I've never actually played it, but HalfQuake is out on Steam. From what I know, they're a series of trippy, masocore platformers for the first Half Life. Still worth a play?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Pathos posted:

Okay, so, see the part where he's floating in the air? That's caused by tons of Archvile fire pillar explosions - explosions which do, indeed, have splash damage, and in Doom, the Z-axis isn't factored into splash damage (hence why you can kill the Icon of Sin to begin with, since your rockets are a bit high otherwise). It's that splash damage that kills the Icon.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

Basically, every random event in the game calls the same code, which advances a single pointer through an array of 256 values (looping back to the start once it hits the end). Thus, you can manipulate later calls to the random-number generator by putting in more earlier calls ahead of it. Obviously the monster-spawning code calls the random number generator, since the monster that pops out isn't predetermined until the monster actually spawns, so it's manipulable. Just need something that consistently calls the RNG code that can be easily done... like firing your weapon, as that calls the RNG code to determine the spread (at least, after the first shot, which IIRC is usually dead-on).

Interesting. That seems way simpler than I had expected.

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

RiffRaff1138 posted:

Does anyone happen to have Hondo's maps on hand? I could swear I'd downloaded all of his work, but they're not on my computer, I can't find them on any discs I've burned, the source archive at johnnythemidget.com is a 404 now, and Action Half-Life Deleted Scenes only seems to contain No Credit.

I'll have to dig around, but I think I have them. I've got a huge archive of AHL content, and there should be some maps in there...

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I missed it when it dropped since my computer needed a new fan and I didn't want to stress it too much in the meantime playing games, but apparently one of the RedneckGDX updates added a key information feature to colour the keys and tell you which door uses which key. That that wasn't a thing in the base game in the first place is, frankly, baffling.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

ytisomauq posted:

I'll have to dig around, but I think I have them. I've got a huge archive of AHL content, and there should be some maps in there...

Actually, it turns out I did have them after all. Not just the maps themselves either, but the source files as well. I found them in a less-obvious directory than I had been previously searching. Here they are, if anyone else wants them.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Another day closer to the inevitable heat-death of the universe.
Black Mesa inches toward a Xen-finished release.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Because you guys sometimes hate his levels on Doom 2, here's a long interview with Sandy Petersen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pA5w0IqJgg

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

catlord posted:

I missed it when it dropped since my computer needed a new fan and I didn't want to stress it too much in the meantime playing games, but apparently one of the RedneckGDX updates added a key information feature to colour the keys and tell you which door uses which key. That that wasn't a thing in the base game in the first place is, frankly, baffling.

Huh, I might have to give it another shot then. That was one of my main reasons for dropping it back in the day!

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Another day closer to the inevitable heat-death of the universe.
Black Mesa inches toward a Xen-finished release.

quote:

We took a more realistic approach to the skybox, using brightly colored nebulae to remind the player of the original Xen feel, but attempted to keep it more grounded in reality.
I hope this isn't something they're strictly following for all Xen skyboxes, the abstract look was my favorite part. That last screenshot looks great though

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Convex posted:

Huh, I might have to give it another shot then. That was one of my main reasons for dropping it back in the day!

They're not astonishingly bright, and one of the keys is brown, so finding them can still be a pain, but at least once you have them you can match them to doors.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Mordja posted:

So I've never actually played it, but HalfQuake is out on Steam. From what I know, they're a series of trippy, masocore platformers for the first Half Life. Still worth a play?

I played Amen when it came out and back then it was interesting and unique enough to ignore the parts where you died a dozen times before you could continue. I feel it has been overtaken by more than a decade of indie games, to the point where you have to keep "this was made back in 200X !" in the back of your head constantly to appreciate it.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Shadow Hog posted:

Okay, so, see the part where he's floating in the air? That's caused by tons of Archvile fire pillar explosions - explosions which do, indeed, have splash damage, and in Doom, the Z-axis isn't factored into splash damage (hence why you can kill the Icon of Sin to begin with, since your rockets are a bit high otherwise). It's that splash damage that kills the Icon.

Wow, how the gently caress did I not know that archvile attacks did splash damage? How the gently caress has that escaped me after all this time? That’s loving wild.

Thanks for the explanation. That one detail makes the whole thing make sense. Crazy poo poo. That must have taken ages to get right.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I guess because you and most people are like "oh god gently caress ow ow ow" instead of paying attention to anything else around them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pathos posted:

Wow, how the gently caress did I not know that archvile attacks did splash damage? How the gently caress has that escaped me after all this time? That’s loving wild.

You can get arch-viles to kill themselves by blasting a target next to them. Okay so the blast damage is 50 IIRC, and they have 700 health, so that's over 14 blastings required if they don't get other sources of damage, but it can work.

The arch-vile attack deals 20 direct damage + blast damage. You can neutralize the blast damage by hugging a low wall so that the base of the flame attack will be outside map geometry and you'll get shielded by the linedef. That's how the trick against the pissed off martian works in this video. Required viewing for everyone in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJcf0aOwmiA