Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Moola posted:

Unspiration thread: bad & rad miniatures

The skeleton does it again! :monocle:

Edit: "Unspiration Thread: The Bad, The Rad and the just plain Sad"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

LashLightning posted:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

HebrewMagic posted:

I was scoping my local tabletop joint tonight after work and discovered the most wild poo poo I'd ever seen: a Reaper Bones model named Ape-X for $4. I rushed home to share this discovery with you all, only to discover the official site had this masterpiece of a paint job shown for it.

Needless to say I threw out all my lovely Warhams, and will be in the market for whatever game allows me to make armies of this guy.

You could almost certainly use him in Scrappers.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Flipswitch posted:

Not minis but I just stumbled upon PPs new game teaser and Holy. poo poo. Its bad;

https://youtu.be/8kqrkYSHQVw

wow, that's actually embarrassing.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Flipswitch posted:

Not minis but I just stumbled upon PPs new game teaser and Holy. poo poo. Its bad;

https://youtu.be/8kqrkYSHQVw

Did it magically get better after second 46? That’s as far as I was able to get. I hope I didn’t miss anything.

:ohdear:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

LashLightning posted:

yes

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

LashLightning posted:

:emptyquote:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

Did it magically get better after second 46? That’s as far as I was able to get. I hope I didn’t miss anything.

:ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kqrkYSHQVw&t=127s

There, if they had trimmed it to just this, it would have been a slightly uninspiring promo video that wouldn't have merited a second glance.

As it stands I mean unless this is some meta joke that I'm not getting it makes PP look worse as a company for releasing this.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Is that fan art or their official artwork?

Because it looks like poo poo

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Something's finally worse than the Duke Nukem Trilogy trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K00DCK1l98

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

coin golem

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Nebalebadingdong posted:

coin Ferrero Rocher golem

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Fake James posted:

Is that fan art or their official artwork?

Because it looks like poo poo

It’s official. The video was part of their keynote a couple months ago. I think they were going for an Adult Swim ironic cheesiness. The almost universal reaction was “what the christ is this terrible poo poo?” It’s not a video game (god save us from PP video games) but an arena minis thing like Shadespire. Based on the reception I’ll be surprised if it ever actually sees a release. I’m a pretty solid PP fanboi and it would take a LOT for me to be interested after that video.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

heres our ironically poo poo video of something thats actually poo poo

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Wouldn't it be amusing if they actually had as good game prototyped but screwed up the marketing so hard that nobody is willing to even try it?

If so I imagine they will be rebranding right about now.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I've played Warmachine since it's first edition and man, I don't even try and defend the company any more.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

StuG Jeebus posted:

I've played Warmachine since it's first edition and man, I don't even try and defend the company any more.

I haven't followed Warmahordes in a while, what dud they do besides that awful video?

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I liked the look of some of their character figures but (at least back 15 years ago when I used to model) they were quite a bit chunkier than 40k and were tough to make "blend".

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Time to make a Privateer Press Death Thread I guess

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Nothing super egregious, but it's frustrating to see PP boxes of 10 men with 4 different sculpts next to fantastically superior GW kits in plastic at the same price point. The skirmish game they released was dumb garbage that nobody plays, and also the last two factions mostly looked like rear end but I realize that's more subjective.

I guess they're doing better than Wyrd at least.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

PP also disbanded their own support promoter program overnight and massively hosed the dog on their latest edition. What did Wyrd do? The only thing I have seen is TOS being a bit of a stillbirth.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wyrd switched from characterful single piece metals to impossibly fiddly plastics that look like Poser renders.

When I say fiddly, I mean "each of this giant mosquitoe's antenna are separate bits" and "why is this archer's head three separate pieces?" levels of WTF design.

Also the game is aggressively hard to learn, at least for me.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Flipswitch posted:

PP also disbanded their own support promoter program overnight and massively hosed the dog on their latest edition. What did Wyrd do? The only thing I have seen is TOS being a bit of a stillbirth.

A bunch of odd decisions lately, mostly. Malifaux 3rd edition was announced a couple months ago, and one of the things they claim is that on launch day, every card will be releases for every model currently in the game. This is a tall order when one considers that currently, there's no open beta testing, just one of those "fill out a sheet and if we think you're legit, we'll email you some stuff."

As well, the current mock-ups for the cards increases the size of the cards to make room for character renders, which is a poor design decision; you want as much info on the side of a card as you can get, not take it up with extraneous bullshit. This also means that space on the board will shrink, as all those larger cards have to go somewhere.

Additionally, a number of masters have been removed from the game. You'll still be able to play with them, and they'll be updated to the new edition, just that they won't be used in tournaments by default. This has left a sour taste in a few people's mouths, because no one likes their favorite master to effectively be MIA, and is a poor way to start off news about a new edition.

Also, they're messing with faction dynamics. Some masters are losing their dual-faction identity, being shunted to one of the factions where once they could choose which one depending on flavor and the player's desired force composition, while others getting new dual faction status. They've said something to the effect that force composition will focus more on keywords so that crews can do thematic crews, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if some crews simply can't function together anymore because of this. I've also heard that some masters are getting their playstyle changed,

They're also allowing people to take two masters in a game. This didn't work out in 1st edition, so I have no goddamn clue why they think it's going to work this time around.

3rd might be good, it might not, but the response I've heard from some people in the local scene is a solid "meh." Mostly, I'm a bit bummed that I never really got to play 2e (despite playing a lot of 1e and having several 2e crews), and I don't see much of a reason to play now when a crew's playstyle may become null and void overnight.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hustlin Floh posted:

Time to make a Privateer Press Death Thread I guess

do it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wyrd is also run by assholes. The year Malifaux released my game group reached out to them about running events at Origins. They were more than happy to give prize support and provide us with demo boxes to run demos and events all weekend. We were the only people doing anything with Malifaux that year.

A couple years later the group has fallen apart but the guy who originally reached out to then now has a blog. He asks if he can interview them because it's been a couple years and it's gotten bigger and they tell him no because "he's too small time."

Dudes we ran events for you when you were a new game and you can give up 20 minutes of your time? Get hosed.

Which is a shame because it was a game I actually had fun with.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Someone post that half hour "trailer" PP made for the totally-not-Netherborn faction they did, the one with the Halloween witch voice narrating the entire loving thing.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Wyrd are the ones who do grimdark (...grimmerdarker...) New Orleans right?

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I don't know what to think of what seems to be Privateer Press trying to go really wide really fast. They always seemed to kind of stumble outside of Warmahordes, and 3rd edition of that has established a weird situation where it seems like they're doing fine but at the same time communities for the game also seem to have totally withered. I wish they would focus and hunker down and make a strong concerted effort to revitalize their core product. I appreciate their ethos of trying to make complex competitive poo poo, even if they don't always succeed at it, but they certainly can be embarrassing at times in other aspects.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
So, first PP, who had the tightest-balanced (well effects varied, but the attention to balance and competitive/tournament play was there) game hosed up the mk3 release massively, followed by "no there are no errors, you just don't know how to play this yet, git gud" and "working as intended" up to the point when they admitted they dropped the ball and fixed some stuff, including reworking a large part of a whole faction. Still, too little, too late, many WMH players got burned or left to Infinity/Malifaux/Guildball/XWing.

Then Corvus Belli, a fan-beloved company, releases the Uprising expansion, which sees a sectorial (subfaction) leave its parent faction and join the independents, taking all its units from mixed lists too. If not for a random leak it'd be pretty unprecedented and with little warning. People complained, especially those who traded one decent collection for two lovely ones. The responses included such gems as "our data shows that few people included those units in generic Yu Jing lists", "we didn't have the space to put another sectorial" (Yu Jing had 2 before that schism, two other factions had 3) or "I've been drinking Yu Jing players' tears for the past week". :jerkbag: Let me restate that this was from the gaming company equivalent to a comfy mom-and-pop store. Salt reached unprecedented levels, other people started bitching about Yu Jing players bitching, Warcors (Henchmen or Pressganger equivalents) started viciously shilling and defending company policy against all arguments, community fractured and the rift and related shitposting keeps poisoning online communities.
Next episode, we get another sectorial shelved (lists/units remain legal, models go OOP until further notice, to be probably revisited in the future), announcing a switch to a "rotating catalog". There were many voices of "oh who cares, nobody plays Merovingia". Well no poo poo tournament players won't favor a faction that hasn't been updated in years and the shiny-chasers won't care about 4+ year old sculpts. Still.
Recently, we got a leak that another sectorial would go the way of Merovingia. A leak, as in a memo to distributors/retailers. It's been like 2 weeks(?) and so far no official announcement confirming or denying that leak was made, even though there are multiple threads about it on the official forums. The panic is noticeable now and new releases that once would've been met with enthusiasm get a "Odalisque resculpt? Holy poo poo Qapu Khalqi is next to be shelved!". Basically, CB poked a big hole in the fan goodwill and instead of patching or mending it, they're doing the best impression of :goatse:.

And now Wyrd. I don't know what's happening with The Other Side (lost interest with large multi-based pre-assembled models) but the first I've heard about the new edition was that the most iconic of my masters and one I made a table for is getting removed from the game, another (Marcus) gets a... questionable art redesign, and the cards that already took a lot of space are blown up to 2x the size to accommodate the lovely art. Yay? :confuoot: (and the keyword/dual change thing, but I play Arcanists who use little of that so it doesn't really affect me) OK, we've heard the bad news, what are the good ones? *crickets chirp* ...yeah, good loving way to build enthusiasm for a new edition :thumbsup: All it did was made me wanna wait with any purchases to see what fets hosed with, and if many players feel the same way and wait until next year, their sales might take a noticeable hit.

So what the gently caress's happening and why? The common elements I see here is poor/no communication with players (or even PR damage control), and possible lack of care. Also hubris. I can understand one company failing that way, why the others? It's not like PP hasn't helpfully reminded us that Rackham isn't only an Ender's Game character. Is there an epidemic of stupidity I'm not aware of, or maybe some brain parasite?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The curse of GW got reversed and infected everyone else

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

It turns out that GW isn't poo poo.

Miniature wargaming is poo poo.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Pierzak posted:

So what the gently caress's happening and why? The common elements I see here is poor/no communication with players (or even PR damage control), and possible lack of care. Also hubris. I can understand one company failing that way, why the others? It's not like PP hasn't helpfully reminded us that Rackham isn't only an Ender's Game character. Is there an epidemic of stupidity I'm not aware of, or maybe some brain parasite?

Synthbuttrange posted:

The curse of GW got reversed and infected everyone else

While the latter comment was made in jest I feel there is likely some truth to it. GW are resurgent, and they are insanely accessible and are probably hovering up more and more of the market share (see their financials). A lot of the smaller games never had large communities to begin with, and I always got the feeling that GW was the gateway drug to them (it was to me). If there are less bitter vets leaving GW for the alternatives, they must have noticed a hit in their sales already and are now (frantically?) trying to diversify to survive. It can't be a coincidence that PP put out a skirmish style game and are now going for a pseudo-boardgame A-LA Shadespire

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
You see this kind of poo poo in any company whose setting includes a metastory. All these assholes want to "advance the story" or "move the plot forward," but it's always done with the most ham-fisted, poorly-written, shittiest ideas. Probably because someone at the company has been moderately successful and gotten an ego to the point where they no longer listen (or no longer have people around them willing to speak up) when someone says, "no, dude, your idea is loving lame." And it's not just miniatures games, numerous RPGs have run afoul of this as well. Gods, the Shadowrun metaplot just became ridiculously, criminally bad somewhere in late 2nd/early 3rd edition.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

but thats what I said!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

While the latter comment was made in jest I feel there is likely some truth to it. GW are resurgent, and they are insanely accessible and are probably hovering up more and more of the market share (see their financials). A lot of the smaller games never had large communities to begin with, and I always got the feeling that GW was the gateway drug to them (it was to me). If there are less bitter vets leaving GW for the alternatives, they must have noticed a hit in their sales already and are now (frantically?) trying to diversify to survive. It can't be a coincidence that PP put out a skirmish style game and are now going for a pseudo-boardgame A-LA Shadespire
You might be onto something here. CB's seen unbelievable growth for the past few years, moved into a new bigger site, hired new people, probably got into different category for Spanish tax or something, all that stuff has its costs so even if they try to roll back they'd have to eat another round of costs. And GW seems to have found its rear end with both hands and a map and it's gotten some popularity back.

That still doesn't explain the fuckups that could've been easily avoided by, say, not showing they don't give a poo poo about the playerbase, or even crafting some official announcement from time to time when important poo poo happens. That doesn't cost a lot, just willingness to say something beyond "this is the party line and we'll cling to it no matter the cost".

As for Shadespire-alikes, CB released Aristeia, a MOBA-like boardgame. It was a terrible idea of implementing a lovely genre in a part of a setting people were content to leave as a footnote. Basically some poo poo nobody wanted. Against all odds, it proved a very good game.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I don't know what to think of what seems to be Privateer Press trying to go really wide really fast. They always seemed to kind of stumble outside of Warmahordes, and 3rd edition of that has established a weird situation where it seems like they're doing fine but at the same time communities for the game also seem to have totally withered. I wish they would focus and hunker down and make a strong concerted effort to revitalize their core product. I appreciate their ethos of trying to make complex competitive poo poo, even if they don't always succeed at it, but they certainly can be embarrassing at times in other aspects.

The newest faction for Warma/hordes is just... boring looking? Not including cards in the models / books is annoying (even though you can print them out). That kinda took me out of it.
Wyrd is the same way kinda; 2nd edition wasn't even close to being broken unlike the end of 1st edition. Guild Ball? Looks like it might be the same thing. I wanna buy your minis and play a stable game, dammit. Stop with the living rules poo poo.

A lot of companies are going down the toilet.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Does the new WMH faction have any kind of hook / elevator pitch? Like, you tell someone necromancy pirates and monsters or Soviet era wizard war robots and they'll pretty much imagine Cryx and Khador.

But these new guys seem to do basically the same thing as everybody else, only without any distinguishing flavor.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I don't follow any of these games but these gently caress-ups are fascinating. I miss the Death Thread for cataloging it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

That was...wow. We have three stills, a single hard rock track and a 90s fire gif and goddammit we're gonna drag that poo poo out into a 3 minute video!