Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

delfin posted:

Didn't a group of wandering hipsters trade Maggie a magical Tome of Civilization-Building Tools Instructions in exchange for some food and dank vinyl LPs last season?

Shhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah that's the dumbest part of it all

Also plows exist in more places than the loving capitol and they're not exactly a hard concept

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I got a laugh at the opening V/O

‘Losses that hurt us...’
*CGI tiger being devoured*

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm still holding out hope that Daryl is gay. I know that they said he isn't but they can change their minds

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I mean Darryl did have to do things to get his new bike

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

well that was something.
this is the first time i've watched since... that episode a few seasons back where daryl and the girl were in a cabin on their own lil psychological adventure? what happened to that girl btw? is she still out there? I like to think she is leading a gang of survivors.

the suspense scene with the glass/wagon was wow. could they not have gone... sideways?
I do enjoy that rick's crew are starting to become leaders of their own factions. i can see this turning into a season of crew v crew with betrayals and shocks. Like, 100% rick is going to have some greek tragedy of a fall.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Lampsacus posted:

what happened to that girl btw? is she still out there? I like to think she is leading a gang of survivors.

MSF of season 5 she went suicide by cop.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

MSF of season 5 she went suicide by cop.
:'(
What of s5-s8 is worth watching?

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Lampsacus posted:

Wrong thread, buddy

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Lampsacus posted:

To really know what's going on you've got to watch it all.
But it's boring and pretty stupid. Maybe find a synopsis of what happened and just read that instead.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Wow, that was wretched.

I happened to watch some spanish dubbed one on youtube since they probably don't even show this poo poo here anymore, and I didn't understand a word and just skimmed through it all. Their stupidity transcends spoken language though.

Here's is a glass floor trap, it won't hold, we all know it won't hold, we don't need to go across it, let's try to go across it. There wasn't even any pay off. Half of them falling down into the pit would have at least been remotely interesting but no, of course not.

What the hell was the no-name poo poo kid trying to do, free the horse? Salvage a piece of their worthless antique equipment? Furthermore, how was it that they can't take on 20 zombies as a group? They loving bolted out of there like a bunch of pussies. Rick alone killed a 100 zombies or so on his own back when Carl's eye got blown off and Rick entered his hellrage battler mode to get revenge.

Speaking of bolting, was the House Bolton crucifix supposed to be a scarecrow? It was almost clever but Darl just had to ruin it...

EDIT:

Taear posted:

To really know what's going on you've got to watch it all.
But it's boring and pretty stupid. Maybe find a synopsis of what happened and just read that instead.

The synopsis for season 5 through 8, from memory, is that:

Season 5:

- They execute some cannibals
- A priest joins the party
- Beth kills herself in a highly debated and bafflingly choreographed scene
- Maggie almost remembers Beth exists
- They get thirsty and hungry and wander into a barn and a really cheesy teamwork scene plays out while they are in a storm
- They wander off into a lovely town full of sheltered idiots

Season 6:

- Somewhere around here the big black dude with the hammer and the hat commits suicide via idiocy
- A crippled youngster they rescued from fake-cops gets devoured in the only clever setups in the whole series
- They kill off an engineer and the only doctor they have because Rick is an idiot
- Rick finds a quarry full of trapped zombies, but they do not set them on fire as suggested by many...
- Rick makes a highly lovely racing track for the zombies to walk through as to avoid them walking into Alexandria
- The zombies walk into Alexandria
- Highly baffling deaths occur, and Alexandria is also attacked by some brigands
- Glenn dumpster fiasco
- Everyone who originally lived in the town has been killed off via Rick's incompetence
- Maggie realizes she is in The Walking Dead and needs to be rushed to a doctor ASAP

Season 7: (Didn't watch most of this season)

- Negan and his incredible plot armor appear
- Glenn turns into beefaroni
- Rick is shook for the 67th time in the show and his morale is busted
- There's people living in a junkyard
- Rick fights the Mouth of Sauron
- Ends with epic phalanx action, and Darl barking out commands that are in a language not known to man

Season 8:

- War!
- Jim Carrey takes The King or whatever the gently caress his name is as captive
- CGI tiger dies and it's supposed to be tragic
- War!
- Epic highspeed car chase
- War!
- Eugene's long con finally pays off

Gortarius fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 8, 2018

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Lampsacus posted:

Season 5:
* The Terminus showdown, featuring psycho Carol
* TAINTED MEEEEEEAT
* The Magical Teleporting Van
* Noah repays Beth's sacrifice on his behalf by valiantly... er... never mind
* *BLAM!* Oh, hi, Morgan!

Season 6:
* They Should've Just Set The Quarry On Fire
* Carol's Gotta-get-back-before-my-casserole-is-done Rampage
* Glenn's Magical Dumpster Adventure
oh, just stop here, it's not going to get any better
* The Worst RPG Explosion Ever
* Fightin' On The Road With Jesus

Season 7:
* Pretty much every scene with Ezekiel
* Negan's little chat with Spencer
* Eugene's slow and steady descent into Negan's Buddy
* Sasha-in-a-box

Season 8:
* Don't.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Gortarius posted:

Wow, that was wretched.

What the hell was the no-name poo poo kid trying to do, free the horse? Salvage a piece of their worthless antique equipment? Furthermore, how was it that they can't take on 20 zombies as a group? They loving bolted out of there like a bunch of pussies. Rick alone killed a 100 zombies or so on his own back when Carl's eye got blown off and Rick entered his hellrage battler mode to get revenge.

Yeah, he was trying to cut the horse loose, and just didn’t look to check ‘is there a walker six inches away from me?’ first.

Honestly, just having the kid get kicked by a frantic panicking horse as he tried to free it would have made him look like less of a complete moron as opposed to not seeing the walker coming right at him prior to getting kicked.

The episode really reminded me of the S4 premiere there they went on that disastrous supply run to a Costco.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 8, 2018

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
the way he died was awesome too

looks at horse shoe bruise, just gives up

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

moist turtleneck posted:

the way he died was awesome too

looks at horse shoe bruise, just gives up

They had to keep the bruises light so you could see it was a horseshoe, because it looked like the kid just fell over for no reason. Basically his chest should have been caved in.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

moist turtleneck posted:

Yeah that's the dumbest part of it all

Also plows exist in more places than the loving capitol and they're not exactly a hard concept

Seeds aren't very hard to find either

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I tried watching this last night but fell asleep around the time Gregory was starting to be a scheming dick again. I guess I gotta finish the episode now that I read spoilers. This show is so drat boring to even hatewatch anymore. That new intro is terrible too.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Even with a hanging this show was still just bland

The intro was kind of cool in TWD standards, until they got to the wagon part

New show opening was cool for the first time, but is largely not memorable

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Gortarius posted:

This was so loving stupid. There weren't a lot of Zombies, not only that but once the kid falls down they go and KILL THEM ANYWAY so they clearly had the capability.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
New show open sucks. Looks like some rejected intro Tell Tale sold them while liquidating.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I can't believe after 8 or 9 seasons they just killed off Ken like that, the show is dead to me now.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/IcAGQF1.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/iNXsowt.gifv

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

"We've been dealing with zombies for loving years, but now you let my son die? What the gently caress you bitch, how could someone die in our society now?"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

"We've been dealing with zombies for loving years, but now you let my son die? What the gently caress you bitch, how could someone die in our society now?"

Pretty much. Like it took them less than a minute to clear that pack of walkers and there was no indication any of them was in any danger. Why the gently caress did they try to bail in the first place? You had at least 5 veterans, 4 of which survived Alexandria getting swarmed.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

You really are the best

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

:bravo:

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
I thought a zombie punched the kid at first but I guess it was a horse...

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Pretty much. Like it took them less than a minute to clear that pack of walkers and there was no indication any of them was in any danger. Why the gently caress did they try to bail in the first place? You had at least 5 veterans, 4 of which survived Alexandria getting swarmed.

TWD fell hard into the problem that most zombie fiction does. First you establish the zombies in such a way that they can be dealt with easily and safely except in the largest of hordes or when trapped in a closet or something. But oops now you've eliminated all tension by making the main threat not a threat. So you then try and make them threatening by having them make "sneak attacks" or make the protagonists go out of their way to walk into easily avoidable situations. But now people can't feel suspense or even get invested since they now know the world doesn't act consistently and zombies will just teleport where needed and every unrealistic idiot plan will be attempted contrary to all established rules and logic.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

galagazombie posted:

TWD fell hard into the problem that most zombie fiction does. First you establish the zombies in such a way that they can be dealt with easily and safely except in the largest of hordes or when trapped in a closet or something. But oops now you've eliminated all tension by making the main threat not a threat. So you then try and make them threatening by having them make "sneak attacks" or make the protagonists go out of their way to walk into easily avoidable situations. But now people can't feel suspense or even get invested since they now know the world doesn't act consistently and zombies will just teleport where needed and every unrealistic idiot plan will be attempted contrary to all established rules and logic.

Why they need to do something crazier, like a Fallout style universe where there's all kinds of things out there that never ever stop being dangerous.

You don't need to jump hoops to justify why a three armed man with a rocket launcher is a threat.

Varg posted:

I tried watching this last night but fell asleep around the time Gregory was starting to be a scheming dick again. I guess I gotta finish the episode now that I read spoilers. This show is so drat boring to even hatewatch anymore. That new intro is terrible too.

He's soooooo bad at it. His cartoonish levels of shittiness wouldn't make ANYONE trust him. He acts like a guy who just stole a smart phone and is trying to sell it to you in a street con.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tenzarin posted:

It would be funny if like zombies was just an americas thing and japan is still shipping us cars.

I know they want the olden time imagery but wouldn't it be way, way, WAYYYYY easier to rig some horse pulls to cars, rip out the useless engines to reduce weight and releasing the parking brake?

Like wouldn't with a little backyard weight reduction that make like, an infinite supply of carts for them? Plus it would honestly look way cooler having horse drawn hacked up cars.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Blazing Ownager posted:

I know they want the olden time imagery but wouldn't it be way, way, WAYYYYY easier to rig some horse pulls to cars, rip out the useless engines to reduce weight and releasing the parking brake?

Like wouldn't with a little backyard weight reduction that make like, an infinite supply of carts for them? Plus it would honestly look way cooler having horse drawn hacked up cars.

That seems like the first option anyone would go for in a world of endless useless cars with perfectly good frames and tires. Also using them for housing and storage.

But Rick is the leader and his brilliant plans are always executed without much question, to the peril of everyone involved.

I think the real reason they won't do cool car wagons is money. They made those lovely raid cars in the last season but that was probably just the actors' cars with a plastic plate strapped on it that didn't require actually damaging a car to do it.

Man, I can't believe this lazy piece of poo poo show is still going on. Every time there's a new season starting up I come to the realization that I can't name a single good episode besides maybe the pilot, maybe the first season finale. All I remember are the van flips, Lori driving, Glenn into a well, Glenn under a dumpster, Insulin girl and all the rest. I pretend not to care, but I can't resist hatewatching it...

I suppose it's therapeutic in a way?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
All I could think about during that wagon scene was that the show writer is really mad that Oregon Trial was never a tv show.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'm no expert, but I will pretend to be one for a minute...

I don't think any amount of strippong weight off a car would get the weight down to what a wood wagon wound weigh. Plus there is some extra fritction between a rubber car tire vs a wood wagon wheel.

But that being said. Seems they should be able to figure out how to make a basic wood wagon / cart with the free sacturary labor and the book of knowledge they got last season...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

galagazombie posted:

Yeah that’s what pisses me off about the show now. Zombies are not a thread and that’s ok! This far into the apocalypse handling a couple of walkers should be a skill everyone has. Danger is still present just not directly from zombies. You can still die from getting complacent or the zombies putting you in a situation where you gently caress up elsewhere. This little escapade of theirs could have neatly fit into the latter. Your cart gets stuck, big deal. A dozen or so walkers show up? Well ok time to form up some defense and be careful. A few sneak closer than usual and freak the horse out? Ok now you have a big animal freaking out. Dude who takes care of horses is trying to calm the down but he slips on the mud and the horse knocks him out or straight up kills him. Zombies are still disposed of but the situation still caused a death and it wasn’t a cheap stealth bullshit zombie. You still get the result you want (causing a conflict at Hilltop with the parents) without being absolute morons about it.

The fact that it was RICK, DARYL, MICHONNE, CAROL, and MAGGIE freaking out about a dozen zombies is loving absurd. I think that’s what so frustrating right now. This show doesn’t need to be this loving bad to tell the stories it wants to tell especially since they’re just following the loving comic books and even those haven’t had a stealth zombie kill in loving years.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
i feel like they added the zombie bite because some focus group didn't know a horse could fuckin murder you out of nowhere

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gortarius posted:

, I can't believe this lazy piece of poo poo show is still going on. Every time there's a new season starting up I come to the realization that I can't name a single good episode besides maybe the pilot, maybe the first season finale. All I remember are the van flips, Lori driving, Glenn into a well, Glenn under a dumpster, Insulin girl and all the rest. I pretend not to care, but I can't resist hatewatching it...

I suppose it's therapeutic in a way?

The best episode I can remember was when they flip the script on the Cannibals and they go from season big bads to hacked up in a church. That episode was gold. I can't think of a single other one. Honestly the whole little 3-episode arc of them getting captured and escaping the cannibals was pretty great.

ED: Morgan dragged it down but the Wolves attack episode was also a lot of fun. Badass unassuming Carol was the best Carol and both episodes have that.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Carol blowing up the cannibals with a bottle rocket was amazing

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

moist turtleneck posted:

i feel like they added the zombie bite because some focus group didn't know a horse could fuckin murder you out of nowhere

You know that actually makes me kind of head slap. The horse kick alone would have been a way, way cooler death.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Last best episode I thought was when Rick's blonde boo and her idiot kid got the gently caress eaten out of them

I liked that episode, and the other black and white start of that season episode

this season is gonna be a slog, but goddamnit I want to see Rick and Maggie die so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
the episode where negan first appeared and killed abraham and glenn was good, graded on the curve of "for an episode of amc's the walking dead", except for the part where they made it a cliffhanger for some reason. if you include the first 15 minutes of the next episode as part of that one, it was good