Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Lambert posted:

I don't think that would help with verifying who called you if they spoofed the Caller ID.

No, but I was at least able to know that it was a valid bank number that I could call at a later time and find out what was going on instead of just trusting the possible spoofed id call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I don't see how someone calling you on a (potentially) spoofed ID helps establish their legitimacy or not at all

unless you were alerted because you realized that an actual scammer called you

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
By calling the legitamite number it would validate if I got a call from a spoofer.
I received a phone call, I didn't like that I was asked for personal information so I hung up, researched the number on my bank's website, called the number, and realized there was an actual credit card fraud attempt.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Llyd posted:

I was planning on buying a 9700k/9600k to finally replace my 2500k and get some of that sweet soldered goodness but the prices here are mad:

i7 8086K - 569€
i9 9900K - 559€
i7 9700K - 549€
i7 8700K - 539€
(9600K is not listed yet but I guess it's gonna be 529€ :rolleyes:)

I guess everyone is using the 14nm shortage as an excuse.
Is it that bad ?

9900k only €10 more than a 9700k? Bargain!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
yup, the defense against this is: call the bank back, no matter if they know your SSN or firstborn or whatever

they're tricksy nowadays, it sucks

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

BurritoJustice posted:

Gigabyte confirmed to me that there will be no PLX motherboards from them this generation, looks like the Z390 Godlike is the only remaining hope for loads of PCIE with a 9900K and that's not known for sure yet. I want two 8x/16x for GPUs, 4x for thunderbolt, and hopefully minimum two accessible 1x for various other poo poo.

I want a modern version of the Z270X Gaming 9, just loving everything on a motherboard.

Discussion from a few pages ago but Supermicro's got a consumer Z390 board with a PLX switch and additional beefed up power delivery to accommodate 140W consumption: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13407/intel-z390-motherboard-overview-every-motherboard-analyzed/53 EDIT: and it's not $600

The Asus WS Z390 Pro looks like it's going to have one too, given it's expansion layout:

quote:

4 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (single at x16, dual at x16/x16 mode, triple at x16/x8/x8 mode or quad x8/x8/x8/x8 mode)
1 x PCIe x4 (max at x4 mode)

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 9, 2018

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Discussion from a few pages ago but Supermicro's got a consumer Z390 board with a PLX switch and additional beefed up power delivery to accommodate 140W consumption: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13407/intel-z390-motherboard-overview-every-motherboard-analyzed/53 EDIT: and it's not $600

The Asus WS Z390 Pro looks like it's going to have one too, given it's expansion layout:

Yo, the Asus board has the weird voodoo-juju I was looking for in PLX switch + thunderbolt and I hadn't noticed this as at all. Thank you for the necro! The supermicro has the 10g NIC over the ASUS which is nice but they left out the thunderbolt header for some stupid reason. Plus I can't get behind supermicro's look, it's caught in the middle of gamer and workstation and looks worse than both to me.

Knowing ASUS it's gonna cost bogo-dollars though, their last mainline WS board was almost a grand here.

E: Speaking of bogo-dollar ASUS boards, do we want to start taking bets on how many thousands this thing costs?

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 9, 2018

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Llyd posted:

I was planning on buying a 9700k/9600k to finally replace my 2500k and get some of that sweet soldered goodness but the prices here are mad:

i7 8086K - 569€
i9 9900K - 559€
i7 9700K - 549€
i7 8700K - 539€
(9600K is not listed yet but I guess it's gonna be 529€ :rolleyes:)

I guess everyone is using the 14nm shortage as an excuse.
Is it that bad ?

Same, the listed release prices are ridiculous and so are the 8th gen, £500 for the I7 9700k is insane.

Edit: £375 for the 8700k so that's a hell of a markup. I guess when the benchmarks are out these might change to reflect the performance differences, if there are any...

Edit 2: that £375 is some fly by night seller on amazon, real sellers are pricing at £450!

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 9, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BurritoJustice posted:

Yo, the Asus board has the weird voodoo-juju I was looking for in PLX switch + thunderbolt and I hadn't noticed this as at all. Thank you for the necro! The supermicro has the 10g NIC over the ASUS which is nice but they left out the thunderbolt header for some stupid reason. Plus I can't get behind supermicro's look, it's caught in the middle of gamer and workstation and looks worse than both to me.

Knowing ASUS it's gonna cost bogo-dollars though, their last mainline WS board was almost a grand here.

E: Speaking of bogo-dollar ASUS boards, do we want to start taking bets on how many thousands this thing costs?

Looks designed to OC that 28 core Xeon unlocked processor. And looks like it can do it well. Crazy

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Paul MaudDib posted:

There are no reviews yet but yes, you can pretty much expect this to just be Coffee Lake with two extra cores and solder. Maybe some minor changes to the cache system.

Right now the gaming difference should be minimal (see: 2600X vs 2700X) because games barely use 6 cores anyway, but if threading finally takes off over the next few years then the 9900K is potentially more future-proof, and it will be faster for non-gaming stuff.

For people who are purely interested in gaming and don't want to bet on "future-proofing", the 9700K is potentially a much better deal. In practice, 8C8T is going to be faster than 6C12T in almost every situation. Dunno if it's really worth selling your processor and upgrading though.

There is also the sideband exploits for Hyper Threading. If I had to guess, the protections will kill some of the extra performance HT provides and then end result is maybe no net gain. In other words HT might be doomed if Intel can't properly secure it.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

redeyes posted:

Looks designed to OC that 28 core Xeon unlocked processor. And looks like it can do it well. Crazy

Yeah it's for that exact purpose, it's one of only two motherboards for that chip. Gigabyte makes the other.

Now that Caselabs is dead, who even makes EEB motherboard cases anymore?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
8700K prices took a huge jump all over EU in the last few days of September. It was stable at around 340-350€ all year but then it suddenly jumped 100€ and now it’s either out of stock or 450€ everywhere. Not a great time to be buying Intel. You pretty much have to wait until the 9th gen prices drop.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
It wasn't too long ago where 200 for a cpu and 150 for a board was a solid build. Or am I remembering that wrong?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

It wasn't too long ago where 200 for a cpu and 150 for a board was a solid build. Or am I remembering that wrong?

Sure, just get an 8400 or 2600. They're the smart buys anyways.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

My 2500k cost £165 so nope, I remember thing s being cheaper too.

Maybe I'll just stick with an i5 instead of going for an i7.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Intel locked overclocking to expensive CPUs and a lot of people needed hyperthreading. CPUs without hyperthreading (until this generation) were in the 200 dollar range. I'm still on a 5820K with hyperthreading disabled in the bios because it makes the apps I use run worse by a few percent. Hopefully going to get a used 8 core processor for relatively cheap when I can use 8 cores and run that with HT disabled too.

A AMD 2700 is a very good processor in the 200 dollar range too.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
https://youtu.be/6bD9EgyKYkU

Nice job with that commissioned game performance report intel!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
So I guess I’ll hobble forward with my E3-1230 Sandy Bridge to pair with my 1080 Ti given the ludicrous prices. I had bought RAM and everything too when I had gotten a good deal on 2 sticks of 16GB DDR4 3200. Google will be getting more of my money than Intel in 2018 then. Bummer, have to figure out what to do with this unopened RAM then. Hell, maybe Samsung and Hynix will keep raising prices and I should hold? And why does this remind me more of day trading than building computers anymore?

Intel seems to be trying to pull an Apple by testing the price sensitivity of its customer base. Thing is, the release event seemed aimed more at trying to appeal to rich and completely clueless gamers rather than content creation professionals or engineers. So I have no clue what is going on over at team Blue.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

necrobobsledder posted:

So I guess I’ll hobble forward with my E3-1230 Sandy Bridge to pair with my 1080 Ti given the ludicrous prices. I had bought RAM and everything too when I had gotten a good deal on 2 sticks of 16GB DDR4 3200. Google will be getting more of my money than Intel in 2018 then. Bummer, have to figure out what to do with this unopened RAM then. Hell, maybe Samsung and Hynix will keep raising prices and I should hold? And why does this remind me more of day trading than building computers anymore?

Intel seems to be trying to pull an Apple by testing the price sensitivity of its customer base. Thing is, the release event seemed aimed more at trying to appeal to rich and completely clueless gamers rather than content creation professionals or engineers. So I have no clue what is going on over at team Blue.

I'm sure Intel isn't exactly thrilled about this either. Their 10nm process is hosed which is causing massive shortages on 14nm capacity.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Why does this say the 9th Gen has "up to 40" PCIe lanes?

Are they counting HSIO in there, the existence of a PLX chip on a board, or did Intel sneak something more compelling into Z390?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The ARK spec sheet for the 9900k says 16 lanes on expansion ports:

https://ark.intel.com/products/186605/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-Processor-16M-Cache-up-to-5-00-GHz-

They're probably counting internal lanes for NVMe, integrated NICs, integrated storage controllers, etc.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

This post got me wondering how Intel CPU prices have fared over the years, so I went and put them together in a spreadsheet and made some charts. Here are the prices for the top-end "mainstream" parts in each generation, both original US MSRP and adjusted for 2018 dollars:

So the price of the top-end i7 has been pretty stable in real dollars, at least until the 9th generation, while the price of the top-end i5 has been creeping up (with the most notable jump being between the 3rd and 4th gen, probably because AMD stopped being a real competitor in that segment by that point).

I also looked at the performance per dollar using the Cinebench R15 multi-threaded score as a proxy for performance (since that's a pure CPU benchmark and it's easy to find those scores):

So between generations the performance per real dollar has always improved and within each generation the performance has scaled pretty linearly with price.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 9, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Why does this say the 9th Gen has "up to 40" PCIe lanes?

Are they counting HSIO in there, the existence of a PLX chip on a board, or did Intel sneak something more compelling into Z390?

"Up to 40" is the same language they've used since Kaby Lake/Z270. 16 from the CPU, and 24 more if paired with a Z270/370/390 board.

Other SKUs offer lower number of lanes, Z170/H270/H370 only offer 20 more lanes max for example, which is where you get the "up to" part.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

B-Mac posted:

https://youtu.be/6bD9EgyKYkU

Nice job with that commissioned game performance report intel!

Don't miss the update post where they discover that the people who were doing the testing were probably running the 2700X in "game mode" which effectively disables half the cores. ("Game mode" is intended for Threadripper parts to force games to run on a single CPU die, effectively disabling half the cores, to avoid cross-die latency impact on memory access... mainstream Ryzen parts already only have one die so there's absolutely no reason to ever use that.)

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 9, 2018

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Mr.Radar posted:

Don't miss the update post where they discover that the people who were doing the testing were probably running the 2700X in "game mode" which effectively disables half the cores. ("Game mode" is intended for Threadripper parts to force games to run on a single CPU die, effectively disabling half the cores, to avoid cross-die latency impact on memory access... mainstream Ryzen parts already only have one die so there's absolutely no reason to ever use that.)

Yep. I bet that companies are always going to try and show off their product in the best possible light but that’s report is just so lovely.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Tech Jesus is on the case, and is going to literally go knock on the benchmarking company's door today to ask them if they have a few moments to talk about our lord and savior proper benchmarking methodology :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1mJMI_uaa8

3peat
May 6, 2010

ItBreathes posted:

Sure, just get an 8400 or 2600. They're the smart buys anyways.

Over here the 8400 is almost as expensive as a 2700 and significantly more expensive than a 2600 or even 2600x
Even the 8100 is almost the same price as a 2600x

Here's how CPU prices look like on the biggest (by far) online retailer in my country

(to get prices in $ just divide by 4; also those prices include 19% VAT)

3peat
May 6, 2010

TheFluff posted:

Tech Jesus is on the case, and is going to literally go knock on the benchmarking company's door today to ask them if they have a few moments to talk about our lord and savior proper benchmarking methodology :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1mJMI_uaa8

skip to 11:00 for the best part

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1049757708918886404

:allears:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

3peat posted:

(to get prices in $ just divide by 4; also those prices include 19% VAT)

Ouch.

Looks like a 1600 is comparably priced but other than that, oof.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I didn't realize the company's name was Principled Technologies :hmmyes:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ok this makes a little more sense

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

Glorious, bless him and his bountiful mane.

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
In defense of Intel it sounds more like they just expected the typical wink wink nudge nudge kind of benchmarks that both companies do for their dumb press announcements and instead of doing that Principled Technologies just killed a hooker in the next room. We've all been there.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzshhrIj2EY

:siren:

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Hold The Ashes posted:

In defense of Intel it sounds more like they just expected the typical wink wink nudge nudge kind of benchmarks that both companies do for their dumb press announcements and instead of doing that Principled Technologies just killed a hooker in the next room. We've all been there.
Yikes I haven’t. Ive seen stuff not reported but not misrepresented

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017

Rabid Snake posted:

Yikes I haven�t. Ive seen stuff not reported but not misrepresented

Conveniently leaving out anything that makes your product look bad is misrepresenting though. AMD was doing the same poo poo in the ten years they were completely irrelevant (in high end systems), the only difference is everybody knew it was bullshit and nobody really cared because they were fighting out of their league and people don't like dog piling on David when he's fighting Goliath.

You can tell that guy was expecting some real poo poo to come his way and Steve just wins him over with professionalism

Unrelated: Kind of lovely that Newegg's opening price for 9900k was $580. Not even Amazon went over $530.

Hold The Ashes fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 10, 2018

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Well im glad *some* good came from it. It seems like that company really wanted to do the right thing.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Being so used to gotcha journalism, Steve just sitting down for an unfiltered chat is fantastic. Dude seemed really agitated the whole time, and to Steve's credit he's not the type to come off as imposing or intimidating, just a guy who tries to be impartial. Not obfuscating the testing methodology at least is a positive thing by PT, even if the results are misleading to the uninitiated.

For an impromptu interview it's pretty great.

snickothemule fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
The more I think about it the more I'm blown away. I've only been watching Steve for a month and I've been deep diving into the archives for more.