Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Nah, I just remember that time what maybe a year or so ago where there were at least like a half a dozen posters that were aghast at the thought of even living on the median personal income in this country, because they found it so hard to make a go of it on 50-90k a year per person.

And lol like this thread isn't mostly current or former computer touchers, with a lawyer or something mixed in here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

EvilJoven posted:

Nah, I just remember that time what maybe a year or so ago where there were at least like a half a dozen posters that were aghast at the thought of even living on the median personal income in this country, because they found it so hard to make a go of it on 50-90k a year per person.

And lol like this thread isn't mostly current or former computer touchers, with a lawyer or something mixed in here and there.

"I don't make assumptions about people in this thread!"

*makes an assumption about people in the thread*

EvilJoven is pretty much the new PT6A, spouting right-leaning ravings and hijacking the thread for long periods of time.

Dukemont
Aug 17, 2005
chocolate microscopes

Jan posted:

"I don't make assumptions about people in this thread!"

*makes an assumption about people in the thread*

EvilJoven is pretty much the new PT6A, spouting right-leaning ravings and hijacking the thread for long periods of time.

I hate rurals, live in the suburbs, and live on an income below the median wage.

Shattering assumptions ITT
:owned:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I didn't realize so many people here either hated Indigenous peoples on the rez or pretend that they don't exist.

Wait, no, that's the most Canadian way of treating them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nah the Canadian way of treating them is to pick them up in a police cruiser and dump them on an abandoned highway at 2am in -30 blizzards. That or execute them with handguns while likeminded white fucks fundraise to help you get through the trauma of murdering a catatonic drunk teenager.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

I didn't realize so many people here either hated Indigenous peoples on the rez or pretend that they don't exist.

I'm sorry, do you mean in this thread? What?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You guys can get past all this cognitive dissonance by simply admitting that all Canadians are pathetic complacent simpletons, you know. Rural or urban, indigenous or otherwise, we all get the government we deserve.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm sorry, do you mean in this thread? What?

He's saying that they count as rural and by hating on rurals we also hate on them.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

He's saying that they count as rural and by hating on rurals we also hate on them.

That's so stupid and not at all what anyone is saying, of course someone as insane as you would interpret it that way.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wow you even defend some dumbass calling you a racist based on almost nothing as long as it gives you the opportunity to whine at me.

Your behavior toward me is getting to be a little pathetic and obsessive, to be honest.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 8, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

Wow you even defend some dumbass calling you a racist based on almost nothing as long as it gives you the opportunity to whine at me.

Your behavior toward me is getting to be a little pathetic and obsessive, to be honest.

Haha okay dude.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ChairMaster posted:

You guys can get past all this cognitive dissonance by simply admitting that all Canadians are pathetic complacent simpletons, you know. Rural or urban, indigenous or otherwise, we all get the government we deserve.

Canada is actually pretty great.Its people are pretty great. Far from perfect, but I'd rather live here than about 185 other countries.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I'm rural :shrug: and I am an NDP voter who wants higher taxes.

A lot of people around here are really lovely, but more than that they're uninformed and/or afraid. The people in the manufacturing shop at the place I used to work at almost universally disliked muslims, because all they knew was the crap they saw on TV and in the disgusting rag of a newspaper around here. Interestingly enough, a significant amount of them completely changed their minds a few months after two Muslim people were hired into the shop.

These are people who spend a significant amount of time volunteering with big brothers / sisters, the local United way, etc. I've seen how kind they can be, while at the same time how racist they can be, and it doesn't make sense. I think it's because of a lack of knowledge.

And they all vote conservative because they're afraid to loose their jobs and figure the Conservatives are better for that.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think, based on some urban theory reading I've done in the past, that one of the things that makes urban people more liberal is the complexity of urban life. There's a lot more going on at any given moment, there's a greater amount of and diversity of people and experiences to interact with (even if that interaction is just passing strangers in the crowd), there's more of a need to adapt to new and unexpected things that could happen at any given moment. A famous urban theory book that has influenced my thinking a lot takes its title from the part in the Communist Manifesto where Marx says "all that is solid melts into air" in modern capitaism, with the idea being that living in a modern urban society means living with, and learning to cope with, constant change. I think that dealing with those complexities and constant changes of urban life tends to make urban people more liberal by exposing them to more things as normal parts of life and requiring them to be open to more experiences and different kinds of people if they want to succeed in such a setting.

Whereas rural life tends to be a little simpler, change more slowly, and not expose individuals to as many different experiences and different people, which results in a more conservative worldview that often aspires to prevent change instead of adapting to it (worth nothing that this also has its own benefits, like the tighter-knit sense of community you can get among these smaller and more steady populations rather than strangers in the big city). I think this is also why you read stories like the guy EvilJoven loves to bring up, who got over 200 people to leave the Ku Klux Klan by befriending them, since many of them had never actually interacted with a black person before and once they realized he was a normal person like they were, it really chipped away at their racist beliefs. Or how, as TrueChaos mentions, some conservative people change their views on Muslims once Muslims actually move into their neighbourhoods. I think it's no coincidence that the places that voted the most for Trump or Brexit are the places where there were the most white people living in homogeneous communities, without any real exposure to people of other races and cultures besides what they see on TV.

Which brings me to suburbs. Suburbs combine the worst parts of rural and urban life. The entire point of car-focused suburbs and 20th-century urban design was to try and destroy the chaos of cities, because urban planners like Robert Moses and Le Corbusier saw chaotic cities as dangerous and problematic, rather than a constituent part of modernity. So suburbs were specifically designed so that people could try and get the benefits of urban life, like better jobs and higher standards of living, while also having the benefits of rural life, like fresh air and open spaces and knowing your neighbours by name. Instead we ended up with the worst of both worlds. Suburbs recreate the segregated, simpler life of rural communities that contributes to conservative worldviews, but do so in much larger numbers, because way more people live in suburbs than in small towns. But suburbs don't actually build the sense of community solidarity you can find in small towns. So we end up with millions of suburbanites who don't get to experience the wonderful chaos that is urban life because they're too busy driving past it to get to work, while also lacking the actual benefits of rural life like lower costs of living or tighter-knit communities. You end up with a bunch of people atomized by their material conditions into car-driven, anti-social communities of homogeneous people who are scared of those who don't look like them and vote for conservatives to preserve their horrible lives that our consumer culture has told them represent the pinnacle of human achievement.

Suburbs are horrible and the material conditions of living in them contribute to frightened, conservative, lovely worldviews. In my opinion one of the worst mistakes our society ever made was the car-centred suburbanization of our cities in the 20th century, which we can never really undo and which continues affecting our social life and politics decades after it happened.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

vyelkin posted:

urban theory

I can draw a lot of similarities with those who have traveled a lot (beyond resorts and their comfort zones) or lived abroad.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
One of the goals for the left, then, is to view the suburbs as a locus of reactionary power and therefore undo them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I can draw a lot of similarities with those who have traveled a lot (beyond resorts and their comfort zones) or lived abroad.

I dunno, judging by this thread it could just turn you into an unpleasant person who rambles about Spain or Georgia or whatever :v:

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
Sons of Odin and other groups spotted at a UCP event. UCP is now doing “we didn’t know!” damage control and throwing the Alberta Separatist guest under the bus.

https://twitter.com/progressalberta/status/1048990532784050177

https://twitter.com/jkenney/status/1049047806466379776

Other things:

https://twitter.com/theturner/status/1049304788679061504

Explosion at oil refinery this morning https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/explosion-fire-saint-john-oil-refinery-1.4854460

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Ugggghhhh, my Uncle who loves sharing bad takes is at it again with some distilled baby boomer bad takes.
http://plus.lapresse.ca/screens/2fd28435-5277-4410-93be-8e177c5f9743__7C___0.html

For those of you who can't read french.
-Those who said first past the post was keeping the liberals in power were wrong (ok)
-FPTP favours the regions and francophones (as opposed to cities and minorities uuuuuuh)
-It allowed Quebec to toss out the liberals, whereas with MMP they'd still be hanging on to power
-It gave Quebec a strong government as opposed to a weak coalition
-It allowed QS and the CAQ to emerge as new parties

-MMP would favour the liberals because ?their base remained intact whereas QS stole the PQ's base?
-The liberals would hang on due to being more centrist?

loving La Presse man.
After looking up the author apparently he’s a journal de Montreal regular and pulled out of the group that formed the CAQ because they didn’t want to spend enough time talking about « la question identitaire » i.e. the usual justification for Quebec style casual racism.

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 8, 2018

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

Nine of Eight posted:

loving La Presse man.

Some of the ideas are correct, such as FPTP means rural Quebec votes have more impact than urban Quebec votes. But the rest is horseshit.

Proportional representation increasing urban québécois' influence at the National Assembly is just fair. Who doesn't like fairness?

Ah, yes. That rear end in a top hat.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Nine of Eight posted:

loving La Presse man.
After looking up the author apparently he’s a journal de Montreal regular and pulled out of the group that formed the CAQ because they didn’t want to spend enough time talking about « la question identitaire » i.e. the usual justification for Quebec style casual racism.

Oh yeah I heard him on Radio-Can a few weeks before the election saying something like "there's something wrong when the francophone majority can't keep a party it dislikes from forming being in charge of our government" so yeah.

e: Oh wow yeah that piece is full-on portraying the PLQ as other, and alien to real Québecois jfc.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 8, 2018

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Victoria Election has been pretty funny so far. What's hillarious to me is that the right-wing dudes over on Vibrant Victoria, a site founded as a pro-development YIMBY group with developer ties, are all falling over them selves to blast Helps and all the left wing "SJW" candidates and give glowing support to Hammond and his right wing slate. The problem is, the right wing slate have all made it pretty clear they're nimby's. Stop in-fill development, protect the character or neighbourhoods, more power to neighbourhood associations, scale back the recent city plan to allow more density and commercial at "village centers". Those aren't even dog-whistle terms, it's very clear what they mean.

So you've got this whole community of right-wing supply siders facing the cognitive dissonance of wanting a right-wing "protect are neighbourhoods from development and homeless bums" sweep in the election. All the most vocal pro-supply candidates who say they want to make in-fill easier, upzone, streamline the development process are dreaded "SJWs".

So instead they just see charts like this posted and blast it as leftist propaganda

Yeah after reading the dumb position thing today it's pretty clear that the VibrantVictoria/r/VictoriaBC chucklefucks have their work cut out for themselves. Hammond is very clearly anti-development, and Geoghegan has a hard-on for re-litigating JSB and spending a poo poo load of money to tear down the new bike lanes because they're a "fiasco".

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Some of the ideas are correct, such as FPTP means rural Quebec votes have more impact than urban Quebec votes. But the rest is horseshit.

Proportional representation increasing urban québécois' influence at the National Assembly is just fair. Who doesn't like fairness?

Ah, yes. That rear end in a top hat.

We really need to work to kill the idea that somehow empty space should be deserving of a vote. The idea that "the big cities like Toronto and Montreal will just dominate national politics if we give them equal voting power" is horseshit because the top 10 most populated cities in Canada only make up about 1/4 of Canada's total population, and that "top 10" includes cities like Brampton and Hamilton because it turns out that the size of cities drops pretty sharply after Toronto. The idea that some sort of "balance" needs to be given to rural areas is especially ridiculous considering that absolutely none of them bring in more in taxes than they cost (I am fine with cities subsidizing rural areas, by the way, don't take this as a "MAH TAXES" complaint), so they're arguing that they deserve more of a say for contributing less.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Why do you think that rurals or even smaller urban centres do not deserve some form of protection from the tyranny of the majority?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
This place was a traditional, rural paradise until you city loving assholes moved here with your progressive complicated urban ideas, forced them on everyone and basically ruined it. gently caress you, please send faster internet and happy colombus day.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Y'all still on Xplornet or whatever the gently caress out there?

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

EvilJoven posted:

Why do you think that rurals or even smaller urban centres do not deserve some form of protection from the tyranny of the majority?

As it is, Quebec and Ontario are under the tyranny of the minority.

I'm all for standing up to the little guy. But the playing ground has to be fair. It isn't.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

DSL, 6 Mbit down, 0.4 up. Slower if it's damp out. It was 4 down until a bell guy came to look at the dampness issue and was like "oh hey i can bump you up to 6 no charge, beep" you gently caress, the only thing you sell is 'up to' 10 mbit, what wizard poo poo is he changing

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh I don't disagree that it's a balancing act that isn't currently in equilibrium and causing problems but there's a lot more to this nation than a collection of cities on the edge of the St Lawrence river and Lake Ontario plus a port city on the west coast with an overinflated sense of self worth due to an equally overinflated housing market. To say that the people outside these regions don't deserve representation seems absurd.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

DSL, 6 Mbit down, 0.4 up. Slower if it's damp out. It was 4 down until a bell guy came to look at the dampness issue and was like "oh hey i can bump you up to 6 no charge, beep" you gently caress, the only thing you sell is 'up to' 10 mbit, what wizard poo poo is he changing

Interleaving. Also, probably someone came round and knocked all the dead ladybugs out of the local junction point.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
my parents get the technician to come clear out the mouse nest out of their junction point every few years but the buzzing on the line always comes back.

of course it's all wiring from the 60s/early 70s so there's pretty much no hope

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Postess with the Mostest posted:

5g is coming to save rural internet, in a couple years :sigh:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

So how many Canadians are going to die because the patent protections on drugs has been extended in the new trade deal? What a useless concession for a bunch of loving dairy

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

infernal machines posted:

What up?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Terror Sweat posted:

So how many Canadians are going to die because the patent protections on drugs has been extended in the new trade deal? What a useless concession for a bunch of loving dairy

I thought we didnt secure any extra protection on dairy from our previous trade deals? If anything didn't we concede more?

Its just like TPP where the only real winners are big business and its all about pounding the regular people in the rear end.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

Isn't "high-speed interwebs to all Canadians" on the NPD platform?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

zapplez posted:

I thought we didnt secure any extra protection on dairy from our previous trade deals? If anything didn't we concede more?

Its just like TPP where the only real winners are big business and its all about pounding the regular people in the rear end.

There's also the 300% tariffs on certain dairy products that remains the same as in NAFTA. You know, the big thing Trump harped about every single time he twitted about the NAFTA deal being unfair? :v:

US markets got the same market share for dairy that we gave up to participating TPP countries, 3.25% IIRC.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

It's 3.59% (often rounded up as 3.6%)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ontario-dairy-farmers-reaction-usmca-trade-deal-1.4845586

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

It was just biologics that were extended from 8 years to 10. So not great, but it's not all drugs and it isn't a massive jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

https://thewalrus.ca/meet-the-facebook-group-trying-to-reshape-politics/

From last week re: Ontario Proud

Spreading lies and fostering racism is just good fun, not real politics. It's democracy you guys.