Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Benny the Snake posted:

So some thoughts on yesterday's game:

• I fully expected this to be another 40 and 7 blowout and I'm moderately relived that instead it turned into a high scoring game that we lost by two points.
  • That being said, the gently caress was Carroll doing burning his last time out and giving McVeigh that much more time to consider going on it on 4th and 1?!
  • It put a smile on my face seeing the run game work so well. Maybe if we gave Carson more touches we'd be 3 and 2 instead
  • Penny is a draft bust

He was trying to preserve time for the game-winning drive. If the Rams had punted they would've let the clock run all the way out and thirty seconds or so would've been lost which the offense needed to get a chance at afield goal. That was his thinking in this case, it wasn't that bad a call.

Everything else you wrote I totally agree with, awesome to see the run game so effective and I liked their game plan. Not surprised it didn't end up with them winning it but it came way closer than I would've though. Penny indeed sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Also something interesting I learned:

https://twitter.com/BobbyBeltTX/status/1049083632298614785?s=19

How the gently caress does a team do everything so right and yet still lose like that? Is there some kind of curse we don't know about?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Benny the Snake posted:

How the gently caress does a team do everything so right and yet still lose like that? Is there some kind of curse we don't know about?

Niners kept starting deep in their own territory then poo poo like this:

8 plays, 66 yards, lost fumble
13 plays, 63 yards, missed FG
8 plays, 28 yards, punt
9 plays, 35 yards, lost fumble

Lotsa empty first downs in there

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Play posted:

He was trying to preserve time for the game-winning drive. If the Rams had punted they would've let the clock run all the way out and thirty seconds or so would've been lost which the offense needed to get a chance at afield goal. That was his thinking in this case, it wasn't that bad a call.

Everything else you wrote I totally agree with, awesome to see the run game so effective and I liked their game plan. Not surprised it didn't end up with them winning it but it came way closer than I would've though. Penny indeed sucks

That kind of scenario is why you want a franchise qb. The ability to make plays to get to field goal range. Ultimately he trusted his D more than Russell. Given the tiny box they have shoved Russ into this year I can’t help butbcondem them for it

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Benny the Snake posted:

One of my favorite football images ever:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Maggot Soup posted:

What would be a more pressing need, WR1 or Edge Rusher? I'm in the camp of the 49ers forever failing to draft a decent CB.

Depends on how the young WRs develop over the year and who's available in free agency. They're both dire needs.

Edit: Don't feel too bad about Penny, Seahawks fans. Solomon Thomas, number three pick overall, is pretty clearly a mediocre-to-bust too (great run defender, though!).

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 8, 2018

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Carroll needs to retire yesterday And take both Schotty and Schneider with him-he hasn't done us any favors in the draft recently.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
If watching Russell Wilson run around and chuck the ball around on the Rams taught me anything, it’s that Mahomes is going to put up 60 on us.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

quote:

Penny is a draft bust

San Diego State RBs are a false prophet

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Benne posted:

Marshall Faulk

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Benne posted:

Yeah, Georgia is where all of the Good RBs come from.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Penny was such a weird pick. I guess I understood the team's logic, Chris Carson showed zero durability, the 2017 RB corps was a MASH unit, and Penny had played consistently all through college. But RB should be a position where you can get a decent backup on the cheap. Take a flyer in a few guys in lower rounds, you never know who will develop unless it's a Saquon level stud. I'm not totally ready to write Penny off, it's only his rookie season and he theoretically has a versatile skillset. Still, that's a bad use of the pick. We were so close to having Derwin James fall to us, too.

Benny the Snake posted:

Carroll needs to retire yesterday And take both Schotty and Schneider with him-he hasn't done us any favors in the draft recently.

I dunno, outside of the awful first pick I think 2018 is shaping up to be a quality draft. Rasheem Green is super young but shows a lot of promise, Will Dissly's injury was brutal but he looked great before that and I hope he heals up well, Tre Flowers already looks like a starter at CB2, Michael Dickson had a mediocre game but is still really good and fun as hell, Shaquem Griffin is already quality depth, and Jamarco Jones got hurt in preseason but looked like quality depth at Tackle before then. Plus Austin Calitro and Poona Ford look like good pickups off UDFA.

2017 is starting to look all right too: Shaquill Griffin, Tedric Thompson, Chris Carson, and David Moore are all starting now, and of them only Thompson I'd say is starting due to others being hurt. The earlier draft classes stank, but Schneider has been somewhat better lately.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Penny just doesn't pass the eye test. He looks awkward, doesn't get to full speed fast, and isn't accustomed to having to create on his own. At San Diego State he never didn't rush through massive gaping holes, and his yards after contact stat was massively padded because that "contact" was usually just like fingertips on him as he ran by. I'm not saying they won't find a use for him but I'm pretty comfortable saying that he was not a smart use of a first round pick, especially because he probably would've still been there in the third round.

Luckily Carson and Davis are both healthy and playing really well, so it's not gonna kill you, but it's a shame that the first rounder didn't go towards one of the many things the Seahawks really need.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm not ready to call Penny a bust, but I still can't figure out why he was picked when he was. I'm guessing it was mainly an insurance policy on Carson not recovering fully. The fact that he didn't play against the Rams felt more indicative of Carson and Davis performing exceptionally well that they've earned the spot.

One theory that I've heard is that Pete Carroll doesn't want to use him so much early on in his career so that he doesn't get banged up and can prolong it further. I'm not sure I buy that either.

Either way everything about that pick is mystifying.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
A first round pick as an insurance policy for a last round pick. What a weird wild world

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

seiferguy posted:

I'm not ready to call Penny a bust, but I still can't figure out why he was picked when he was. I'm guessing it was mainly an insurance policy on Carson not recovering fully. The fact that he didn't play against the Rams felt more indicative of Carson and Davis performing exceptionally well that they've earned the spot.

One theory that I've heard is that Pete Carroll doesn't want to use him so much early on in his career so that he doesn't get banged up and can prolong it further. I'm not sure I buy that either.

Either way everything about that pick is mystifying.

Don't play him for his first three seasons, sign him to an extension for cheap (he's unproven! a bust!), and then ride him till he retires at 500k/year.

Pete Carroll must play Madden.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

YOLOsubmarine posted:

One of my favorite football images ever:

it's been a great few years to be a gators and 49er fan

unfortunately kyle shanahan will never break his hand punching a balckboard

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Benny the Snake posted:

You are an idiot. The last couple drafts have been full of productive defensive players. Some great mid and late round gems. The defense is one good off season away from being elite again.

Carroll is a great coach with some admittedly annoying flaws, but he’s still better than the vast majority of potential coaching hires.

Zagazunt
Mar 4, 2018
This is my two day old hot take, but was PC calling a timeout when the Rams were about to send out their punt unit as boneheaded as I think it was? Even if the Rams did punt, I don't know what it gets us.

And the inability to change plays and/or stubborn commitment to Run The drat Ball in the fourth quarter was when I started to really worry in that game. I thought the Hawk's performance in the first three quarters was drat respectable before that, but it felt like the coaching killed it again.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Someone said that due to the measurement the clock was about to start running again but I don't know if that was true

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Zagazunt posted:

This is my two day old hot take, but was PC calling a timeout when the Rams were about to send out their punt unit as boneheaded as I think it was? Even if the Rams did punt, I don't know what it gets us.

And the inability to change plays and/or stubborn commitment to Run The drat Ball in the fourth quarter was when I started to really worry in that game. I thought the Hawk's performance in the first three quarters was drat respectable before that, but it felt like the coaching killed it again.

The clock would have started after the refs got the chains off the field so the Rams would have run the clock down to probably :50 seconds left before punting. Pete wanted 1:30 left with no timeouts versus 50 seconds with 1 timeout. The former gives you more time to work with, and you can still stop the clock by spiking / running out of bounds. I don't particularly have issues with calling the timeout.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
What was the FG range after that last penalty? I was listening on the radio and I know they said it was out of range but I was too dumb to put the actual numbers together.

The obvious question being: was it truly outside of "gently caress it just try" kick range?

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 9, 2018

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Intel&Sebastian posted:

What was the FG range after that last penalty? I was listening on the radio and I know they said it was out of range but I was too dumb to put the actual numbers together.

The obvious question being: was it truly outside of "gently caress it just try" kick range?

it was on close to the 50 yard line so pretty much a no shot FG. what was really dumb was the throw away on 3rd down or the play call that netted ZERO yards when you needed just a handful of yards to make the hail mary kick. just a terrible last set of plays that cost them a chance at the game. Coaching was a double edged sword on sunday but it was good to see the seahawks with some life against a talented rams team (gross to say that last part)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

That'd be what, 67, 68 yards? There might be some kickers in the league that could make that but they're not on the Seahawks

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Play posted:

That'd be what, 67, 68 yards? There might be some kickers in the league that could make that but they're not on the Seahawks

Seabass could hit it...

20 years ago!

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Play posted:

if they were able to get like 8more yards on that 3rd and 23 then it would have been mid to high 50s I think. Not a gimme but definitely possible. Regardless the oline penalties and ineffectual play calling at the end of that series ended the game for the hawks as the Defense was in no way gonna stop the rams for the time needed to come back and win (as we saw) I would have rather hailed mary'd it on 4th and 23 than punt it right there but im not a coach and the game is long over. It was just a disappointing way to end a competitive game

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Offensive line poo poo the bed with penalties at exactly the wrong time. Two first downs and we kick the game winner with nothing on the clock. Oh well. Really hope this week in London isn't a big letdown. I can deal with a lost season if there are signs of progress as it goes on.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

seiferguy posted:

The clock would have started after the refs got the chains off the field so the Rams would have run the clock down to probably :50 seconds left before punting. Pete wanted 1:30 left with no timeouts versus 50 seconds with 1 timeout. The former gives you more time to work with, and you can still stop the clock by spiking / running out of bounds. I don't particularly have issues with calling the timeout.

I just would have expected McVay to keep the offense out there anyways, and when he sent out the punting unit it already felt like the Seahawks were getting away with something. The time out obviously gives you more time on offense but it also gave McVay more time to convince himself, "actually, gently caress it, let's win here" - and that's assuming he wasn't specifically trying to bait the time out to begin with (though somewhat unlikely considering the first down would have won it either way).

Tweak fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 9, 2018

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Benny the Snake posted:

whathaveyoudoneformelately.jpg

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I'm kind of worried about what the Broncos run game will do to the Rams this weekend. Suh has been at his best when he moves out to the end so the Rams have 3 all-pro 3-4 Defensive Ends and a massive gaping hole at nose tackle that teams are going to hit. Also Goff is going to be throwing to Robert Woods, KhaDarel Hodge and Josh Reynolds, Woods stepped up huge at the end of the Seahawks game, but this could be a trap game for the Rams.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
The Rams had better get to the Super Bowl undefeated this year.

And then lose.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Coldforge posted:

And then lose.

The Rams schedule has too many hard games left for that to happen, between the Saints, Chiefs, Eagles, Seahawks again, Bears, Lions and some inexplicably good CJ Beathard game they will lose a few times. They need to win games like the one this weekend to stay ahead.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

DariusLikewise posted:

The Rams schedule has too many hard games left for that to happen, between the Saints, Chiefs, Eagles, Seahawks again, Bears, Lions and some inexplicably good CJ Beathard game they will lose a few times. They need to win games like the one this weekend to stay ahead.

If the Rams do make it undefeated at least they will be unquestionably better than the pats because these are actually pretty good teams they are playing against instead of beating up on the weak rear end AFC

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I was in the UK this past weekend and boy am I glad I missed that game.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Crazy stat time:

theramswire.usatoday.com posted:

Through five weeks, (Johnny Hecker) only has eight punts under his belt. That’s by far the fewest in the NFL with the Saints being the next-closest at 13. Hekker’s minuscule numbers put him on pace for just 25.6 punts and 1,206.4 yards this season, both of which are fewer than six teams already have in 2018.

Furthermore, the Rams have scored 21 touchdowns, giving them a touchdown-to-punt ratio of 2.6. That’s a huge number when provided context, given the fact that no team has ever even had a ratio above 2.0.

Since 1970, the team with the highest touchdown-to-punt ratio was the undefeated Patriots squad in 2007 that scored 75 touchdowns and punted only 45 times – a ratio of 1.67. That means the Rams are currently on track to score one more touchdown per punt than the Patriots did in 2007.

And if you’re wondering what the fewest punts in a single season are, the Rams are on pace to shatter it. Excluding the strike-shortened 1982 season where teams only played nine games, the fewest punt in a 16-game campaign came in 1990 when the Oilers punted just 34 times. They’re the only team to punt fewer than 40 times in a season.

:stare:

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

DariusLikewise posted:

I'm kind of worried about what the Broncos run game will do to the Rams this weekend. Suh has been at his best when he moves out to the end so the Rams have 3 all-pro 3-4 Defensive Ends and a massive gaping hole at nose tackle that teams are going to hit. Also Goff is going to be throwing to Robert Woods, KhaDarel Hodge and Josh Reynolds, Woods stepped up huge at the end of the Seahawks game, but this could be a trap game for the Rams.

Woods and Kupp haven't been ruled out yet.

Another glaring issue is Marcus Peters - he's currently listed as the 106th ranked CB per PFF (I know, I know). He got scorched twice for TD's on Sunday, and he's been playing relatively poorly since the chargers game when he hurt his calf. I'm pretty sure he's not at 100%.

Things could be dicey this Sunday.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Woods and Kupp haven't been ruled out yet.

Another glaring issue is Marcus Peters - he's currently listed as the 106th ranked CB per PFF (I know, I know). He got scorched twice for TD's on Sunday, and he's been playing relatively poorly since the chargers game when he hurt his calf. I'm pretty sure he's not at 100%.

Things could be dicey this Sunday.

Case Keenum sucks though. I feel like if the Rams lose it won’t be because their pass defense didn’t hold up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Coldforge posted:

And then lose.

To the Chiefs. That'd be one hell of a game.

I've had a soft spot for the Chiefs since Montana went there, so I'm going to root for them to do well and crush the Rams in the SB, and for the Niners to not get anyone killed on the field.

e. removed a monkey paw wish

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

mllaneza posted:

To the Chiefs. That'd be one hell of a game.

I've had a soft spot for the Chiefs since Montana went there, so I'm going to root for them to do well and crush the Rams in the SB, and for the Niners to not get anyone killed on the field.

e. removed a monkey paw wish

:love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Play posted:

Local radio person (highly reliable source for rules) said that they could have had Dickson dropkick the ball because "you can dropkick for a field goal since it hits the ground, and he was dropkicking for well over 60 already."