Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Thanks!
Glad to hear that there is a class that to such a degree matches my preferred playstyle.

More questions:

Is this game region based like WoW? If there are regions, and i play on the EU realms, can i ever transfer to the US ones?
How big is the Goon presence in either region?
I normally play on US realms as i get to play with Goons except in WoW where theres a huge amount of Goons on the EU side as well. For some games its a bit hit and miss as there aren't all that many goons to begin with and they are 6-9 timezones after me so there is not much activity when i am on and i would maybe have been better off playing on EU realms with pubbies (well maybe not, finding a good pubbie guild is hard)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Can't transfer, goons are on NA

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Also the goon guild has like 10-15 on at a time and often none of us say anything. However, you can join five guilds, so it doesn't hurt to join.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The goon guild is usually pretty active when there's new content to play, but most of us are more casual players. Honestly the only reason I play this game at all is that its Elder Scrolls and I am admittedly a filthy filthy slut for TES. I've even started playing Legends.

Just pour that lore and world building all over me, gods yes!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Shut up you haven't played in months

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Aramek posted:

Every single bullet point you said screams play a Magicka Templar.

Holy moly yes.

Welp, apparently I have to bench my Magblade a bit to try that Magplar thing a little.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Alcast has some amazingly well done new player guides, both on his website and youtube channel. If you're new, or just bad like me, check some of them out.

https://alcasthq.com/eso-new-player-beginner-guide/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuLJqF6X1wU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Really torn on what region to play in now.
Playing with Goons is nice, theres always someone to group with and a really relaxed atmosphere in groups, and you also know there are no weirdos that talk politics all the time.
On the other hand if there is 10-15 people on in US prime time there will be very few on when i am on.

Anyways, more questions:

Which edition of the game should i buy, and where?
It looks like Steam only has the base game and Summerset, but there seems to be more expansions that are bought separately, e.g. Morrowind.
I found a (legit) store that sells Morrowind for cheaper than what Steam sells the base game for, and it looks like the base game is included in Morrowind. I guess this would be the best place to buy it?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

If you're not a weirdo who only buys games from steam not locking yourself into it is a better option.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I think finding the base game + summerset would be a nicer option, and I think morrowind can still be sold separately, check the product to see if it actually mentions the base game.

Shy fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Oct 7, 2018

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Morrowind is considered DLC now. You can buy it on the crown store or get it for "free" if you have ESO+

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
If it helps, goon presence on either server is minimal at best - if you plan to do end-game raiding then you will most definitely be doing that with a non-goon guild. If you want to pvp with goons then NA is your best bet (but once again, you'll be seeing the same 5-10 people). Not that many goons play ESO as a mmorpg.

One thing I will say, if you plan to do end-game raiding, then the ping difference will make a big deal. When I was playing from UK to NA I was getting 180 ping on avg which is at least ok in trials, but right now from Asia to NA I get 350+ ping which is a biggg deal. The way combat works in this game means light attack weaving and bar swaps are very important, not to mention the delay in when something happens ingame and when you actually 'see' it, there is always a delay to my movements compared to NA people, and no, you can never really get used to it because ping isn't stable in this game from my experience.

JadaX fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Oct 7, 2018

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Just join a random guild in your region. Contrary to popular belief (on this forum), most random guilds are actually nice, even though the people didn't spend :tenbux: to post here. Seriously, the couple goon guilds I joined contained more idiots than a random guild from trade chat.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
A nice thing is you can be a member of up to 5 guilds at once, so you can be in a goon guild, raiding guild, and PvP guild.

I also only have the base game atm and I was reading if you have Morrowind or Summerset you begin in a different starting zone. Is there a way to change that if I want to start at the beginning of the different alliance stories?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
No. But, you can always just press teleport to their starter cities.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Can anyone recommend a bar setup for either a Magicka DK or Magicka Pet Sorcerer? Trying to decide which I want to level up to max but having trouble with both. I like the DK a lot but can't find any worthwhile aoe (at least that compares to the Sorcerer or Warden) options. Might just be I'm only 26, but it feels really bad compared to the other two.

The Sorcerer I play just fine, but dedicating two slots on both bars to the pets means I can't figure out how to optimize my setup. I'm so used to aoe and heals on one bar, and single target plus buffs on the other bar and that just doesn't fit.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Any addon recommendations that aren't in the OP?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

OhFunny posted:

Heres what I use, but I am a casual player so keep that in mind. I'm also too lazy to do links.

Dungeon Tracker: Adds info to your tooltip when you mouse over dungeons, mainly which characters have completed it. small QOL thing.

FCM Quest Tracker: Much better looking quest tracker

Harven's Improved Skill Window: Adds tooltips to your skills that show you both morphs at once, one of those things you cant do without once you have it

Khajiit Speak: Makes your character talk like a Khajiit.

NoAccidentalStealing: Makes it so you cant steal unless you are hidden from sight.

Sheath Weapon: Sheathes your weapon after combat automatically.

TrueExploration: Gives your map fog of war so you can see where you have personally explored.

Votan's Minimap: I use this instead of the other minimap because its compatible with TrueExploration

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

nessin posted:

Can anyone recommend a bar setup for either a Magicka DK or Magicka Pet Sorcerer? Trying to decide which I want to level up to max but having trouble with both. I like the DK a lot but can't find any worthwhile aoe (at least that compares to the Sorcerer or Warden) options. Might just be I'm only 26, but it feels really bad compared to the other two.

The Sorcerer I play just fine, but dedicating two slots on both bars to the pets means I can't figure out how to optimize my setup. I'm so used to aoe and heals on one bar, and single target plus buffs on the other bar and that just doesn't fit.

I just do this for the most part: https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-sorcerer-pet-build-pve/

OhFunny posted:

Lazy Writ Crafter
Harvest Map
Potion Maker
Postmaster (mainly for when you get Hirelings, it's 1 button to collect all the attachments then delete the mail)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

nessin posted:

For MagDK, your best AoE options are:
- Wall of Elements
- Fiery Breath
- Ash Cloud with the Eruption morph (probably won't get this until you're a higher level though)
- Dragonknight Standard (Ardent Flame ult)

So you have a good amount of stackable AoEs, but I think the big thing is being in melee range so you can breathe fire over multiple targets at once.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/54937

In case anyone was curious, the Murkmire DLC will be the 24th login reward for November. Another target I'll probably miss due to work but I expected that anyways.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

nessin posted:

Another target I'll probably miss due to work but I expected that anyways.

If you can do remote desktop it’s very fast and easy to claim each daily reward.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Counterpoint: I don't understand computers and remote desktop isn't real. Snowy made it up.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Aramek posted:

Counterpoint: I don't understand computers and remote desktop isn't real. Snowy made it up.

Touché

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I decided to try out this game even though its eating most of my hard drive. Could I get a guild invite on @Macedina?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

So i bought the game, created an account, redeemed the code, started downloading the game and now i just get an Incorrect UserID or password error when i try to log on

The account name and password is definitely correct. I even reset the password and get the same error message.
This is to log on to the account management webpage btw.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 8, 2018

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Spuzzz posted:

I decided to try out this game even though its eating most of my hard drive. Could I get a guild invite on @Macedina?

NA or EU? NA says account not found.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Coldforge posted:

NA or EU? NA says account not found.

It's NA. Is it character name or account name? Account name would be Spuzzz.

mooski
Oct 5, 2005

Sassy
Hello! thank you Rollersnake for the invite!

I mostly play EST nite crew. My game ID is @jesusu

I played all the way back in beta and dabbled in the game a few times every year since. Haven't yet gotten to max level.

Enjoy exploring and crafting and occasional dungeoning and chattin'.

Looking forward to chill times with you all.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Are the Twitch drops ongoing or only when there is an announcement?

mooski
Oct 5, 2005

Sassy
It ended on Sept 30th. No dates for next time they'll do it yet but i'm sure it'll be announced soon.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I find that I spend most of my time playing this game prepping to actually play the game, heh.

I think this is mainly because of crafting needing so many drat skill points. Finally got all the "critical" ones, hit 50 in all but enchanting and jewelcrafting, so then went and used all those surveys that I'd been collecting up. Then hit cp160 so used all my treasure maps.

So after weeks of mainly just skyshard grinding in my play sessions (and daily dungeon and daily writs), last night I finally did some more Thieves Guild stuff loving Nicolas, that traitor! Then I hit TG level 5, and ran out of skill points again, lol.

More skyshards tonight, it looks like!

mooski
Oct 5, 2005

Sassy

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Crit surge? Overpower?

mooski
Oct 5, 2005

Sassy
looks like he's touched a skyshard

schme
May 28, 2013
Hey I'd like to get invited to the EU guild if that thing is still around! Id: @schme

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

mooski posted:

looks like he's touched a skyshard

Nah this is the sorcerer move Hurricane

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

xZAOx posted:

More skyshards tonight, it looks like!

You might already know this, but: while you're grabbing the shard in a zone's public dungeon, don't forget to also do the group event (i.e. kill a particular boss) for another SP.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

count_von_count posted:

You might already know this, but: while you're grabbing the shard in a zone's public dungeon, don't forget to also do the group event (i.e. kill a particular boss) for another SP.

Yep! Although I've just gotten to skipping them for now. I usually can't solo the public dungeons, so I was waiting for some other folks to roll through, and it was hit-or-miss if that person was going the direction I needed or not. Plan is to circle back through them once I get some more solid gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Got my Warden lizard looking snazzy.