Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

At least the product does what it claims, kills your network :downs:

I think it is possible to disable driver updates with Group Policy editor.

Maybe it's even possible to disable device-specific driver updates from the device's settings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You can either disable driver installation for that specific device in Group Policy (then installation will fail whenever Windows tries to update it) or use Microsoft's tool "Show or hide updates" wushowhide to disable the installation of that specific driver (uninstall it and run the tool before Windows Update reinstalls) https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

VelociBacon posted:

I need one of these for low torque applications, where did you get it?

I owned a auto shop for more than 10 years so I don't know where it came from. I tried to find a branding but it's worn off now, it's red and black which I think is the Mac color scheme. It has a very small socket set, I think 1/8th, definitely not even 1/4.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

craig588 posted:

I owned a auto shop for more than 10 years so I don't know where it came from. I tried to find a branding but it's worn off now, it's red and black which I think is the Mac color scheme. It has a very small socket set, I think 1/8th, definitely not even 1/4.

Thanks, I'll look around. 1/8th is fine, mostly need it for high end mountain bike stuff where the largest size allen key is around 8mm and the forces are relatively low.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Echoing the nvidia drivers loving suck sentiment. Every single driver since August has different colors over HDMI and it's pissing me off.

411.70: ycbcr 444 is PINK, 422 is dull and washed out, 420 is vibrant and best looking
411.63: 444 doesn't even work, blank screen, 422 and 420 washed out
399.07: all three options washed out
397.93: 422 vibrant, 444 and 420 pink. Honestly what the gently caress.

It's a crapshoot whether new drivers will play nice with my HDMI outputs or not. It's stupid and making my couch gaming a headache. Sometimes some options flicker, while others are perfectly stable. Some drivers have hitching on video playback, others don't. Some drivers play nice with afterburner, some don't. Just work with at least a little bit of consistency at least, please?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Echoing the nvidia drivers loving suck sentiment. Every single driver since August has different colors over HDMI and it's pissing me off.

411.70: ycbcr 444 is PINK, 422 is dull and washed out, 420 is vibrant and best looking
411.63: 444 doesn't even work, blank screen, 422 and 420 washed out
399.07: all three options washed out
397.93: 422 vibrant, 444 and 420 pink. Honestly what the gently caress.

It's a crapshoot whether new drivers will play nice with my HDMI outputs or not. It's stupid and making my couch gaming a headache. Sometimes some options flicker, while others are perfectly stable. Some drivers have hitching on video playback, others don't. Some drivers play nice with afterburner, some don't. Just work with at least a little bit of consistency at least, please?

Yeah this has been a joy for HTPC calibration, you think you have the range set wrong, but you don't and you start loving with the gamma curve even though it was nvidia the whole time.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
So I rolled the dice and flashed my Zotac 2080ti with a higher power limit EVGA bios. It worked. At first I thought I lost performance but forgot the base clocks were set differently so comparing clock offsets is meaningless and total frequency should be looked at.

Going from 115% power to 130% power was not enough to move up on the clock speed. 2100 mhz stable. I was however able to move up on memory. Currently at 7700 mhz and still slowly pushing it. I was able to get about 150 more points on time spy extreme so I'm not getting any memory errors yet.

I wish I knew how hot my vrms were getting so I think this might be as far as I go.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I didn’t think a big GPU would bother ne, but holy poo poo, I can’t even access my SATA slots now, and I’m no even sure my ASUS motherboard makes it possible to hit my GPU ejection.

Just needed to get that off my cheat after trying to blindly insert ny SSD cable for an hour.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

ufarn posted:

I didn’t think a big GPU would bother ne, but holy poo poo, I can’t even access my SATA slots now, and I’m no even sure my ASUS motherboard makes it possible to hit my GPU ejection.

Just needed to get that off my cheat after trying to blindly insert ny SSD cable for an hour.

Behind the motherboard drive mounting is all the rage today. No more drive cages. You do lose optical options though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Yeah this has been a joy for HTPC calibration, you think you have the range set wrong, but you don't and you start loving with the gamma curve even though it was nvidia the whole time.

Speaking of calibration, did we or the Monitor thread ever start that chain-mailing of a colorimeter?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Behind the motherboard drive mounting is all the rage today. No more drive cages. You do lose optical options though.
That's where I've installed it now, but I still need to connect the cable which is a real b-. I couldn't leave the past one in because the other end was angled.

I'll have to remove the GPU later today; it's not C:\ so I'll just use the computer as-is until I feel like ripping off my big honking GPU.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

ufarn posted:

First thing I do is to remove those pcie slot locking levers. They're pain in the rear end/impossible to manipulate with a big gpu and cpu tower cooler.

Of course I use a Silverstone rotated motherboard case where the expansion slots hang off the roof of the case...

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

First thing I do is to remove those pcie slot locking levers. They're pain in the rear end/impossible to manipulate with a big gpu and cpu tower cooler.

Of course I use a Silverstone rotated motherboard case where the expansion slots hang off the roof of the case...
Is that a normal thing to do? This thing is a goddamn brick so I worry about what gravity is going to do to it if it's not locked in.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

ufarn posted:

Is that a normal thing to do? This thing is a goddamn brick so I worry about what gravity is going to do to it if it's not locked in.

I'm pretty paranoid about GPUs bending. So I string some cable ties together and fix the cards to the ceiling of the case.

e: ah sorry I misread the context of your comment, I guess my reply doesn't really apply

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Speaking of calibration, did we or the Monitor thread ever start that chain-mailing of a colorimeter?

I dont know.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Lol okay now I'm at a loss for the things you guys are experiencing

For Windows 10 auto installing , unplug your ethernet after you download a new driver

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

ufarn posted:

It's not normal. But the motherboard pcie lever isn't going to do anything helpful when the GPU hangs off the case roof like this:

When there's a huge cpu heatsink next to the gpu, the locking lever is impossible to press.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I doubt it's doing anything helpful, but a lot of motherboards have locks built in to the slots so there's no removing them and it just makes it annoying. I really don't like the PCI-E locks but not enough to change motherboards.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I ended up managing it by sliding in a plastic spudger and jerking it like crazy. Also managed to tear off some skin on my finger from trying to do it with my fingers.

The combination of a D14 and mondo GPU is almost enough to make me switch to watercooling. But i think i have the hang of it, assuming the switch isn’t going to wear too much from my plastic wedging.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

codo27 posted:

How do you people end up in these predicaments. I've never had any driver issues like that. Do you ever use the clean install option?

Yeah, I've never had to use DDU, just select the clean install option in the driver installer. The only thing that dicked me over was deciding to wait to install the rtx drivers after installing the card instead of before like every other upgrade- had DP issues until I could get them installed...but that was on me.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Intel released some gaming numbers for the 9900K, and it's about as you'd expect. Roughly 5% increase in performance over the 8700k in most games (accounting for the higher clock speed), and 15-20% on heavily threaded games like Ashes of the Singularity. The review embargo is up on 10/19, so we should be getting impartial results then. I'm curious to see a like-for-like comparison with both chips at 5GHz all-core turbo. It looks like Intel's results intentionally used gimped memory clocks and timings on AMD's products.

zer0spunk posted:

Yeah, I've never had to use DDU, just select the clean install option in the driver installer. The only thing that dicked me over was deciding to wait to install the rtx drivers after installing the card instead of before like every other upgrade- had DP issues until I could get them installed...but that was on me.

Wait a minute--should I not be uninstalling my old NVidia drivers before swapping in the new card?

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 9, 2018

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Looking to sell my pair of 1080tis, have y'all had success with goon market or do y'all go somewhere else?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Scionix posted:

Looking to sell my pair of 1080tis, have y'all had success with goon market or do y'all go somewhere else?

As long as you ask a reasonable price they generally sell pretty well on sa-mart, though be prepared for morons to come at you with super lowball offers. Alternatively I’ve had good luck on the hardwareswap subreddit.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've had good luck on craigslist.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
They're FE cards with blowers, I'm thinking 600-649?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

il serpente cosmico posted:

Intel released some gaming numbers for the 9900K, and it's about as you'd expect. Roughly 5% increase in performance over the 8700k in most games (accounting for the higher clock speed), and 15-20% on heavily threaded games like Ashes of the Singularity. The review embargo is up on 10/19, so we should be getting impartial results then. I'm curious to see a like-for-like comparison with both chips at 5GHz all-core turbo. It looks like Intel's results intentionally used gimped memory clocks and timings on AMD's products.

Wait a minute--should I not be uninstalling my old NVidia drivers before swapping in the new card?

If you are switching hardware you should remove old drivers. This even applies to the same chipset. You dont technically need to but this is where the problems start. If you are just updating drivers on existing hardware its unnecessary unless you see issues

Scionix posted:

They're FE cards with blowers, I'm thinking 600-649?

They arent worth that much but you can start there. Used custom cooler cards are generally selling for $550. Since its Craigslist you might be able to catch someone not so knowledgeable but you'll have a better experience keeping in mind what the actual value is. Keep in mind you have no fees selling this way which gives you some room to lower the price if needed. The pricing of the new gen is a gift to used sales right now so if you are going to I would asap (the last few generations the x80Ti card was devalued to ~$350 on launch day of the next gen)

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 9, 2018

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Scionix posted:

I tried to sell my 970 a couple years ago, and didn't get any bites. Same for my PS4 about a year ago. I ended up selling the 970 to a Russian guy without any feedback on ebay. I was initially sketched out, but it turns out when people use those international services to take delivery on US only auctions and send them overseas, the buyer forfeits their ability to dispute the transaction.

Ebay can be a nightmare these days unless you do a buy-it-now listing that requires immediate payment at checkout. I tried to auction my PS4 last year, and I had three straight people immediately tell me they needed to cancel as soon as they won because they had bid "on accident." When this happens, you can make an offer to the second-highest bidder, but I never heard back from any of them. When I relisted it as a buy-it-now, it sold without incident. Ebay / paypal takes a big chunk of fees, and you need to make sure you follow all of the seller protection steps when you ship.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

1gnoirents posted:

If you are switching hardware you should remove old drivers. This even applies to the same chipset. You dont technically need to but this is where the problems start. If you are just updating drivers on existing hardware its unnecessary unless you see issues

OK, that's what I thought, but I vaguely remembered having a problem when I went from the 970 to the 1080. I think this was because I did a full restart after removing the drivers, but prior to removing the 970. This caused windows update to install Nvidia drivers, which caused me to get no video signal.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I tried to sell my 970 a couple years ago, and didn't get any bites. Same for my PS4 about a year ago. I ended up selling the 970 to a Russian guy without any feedback on ebay. I was initially sketched out, but it turns out when people use those international services to take delivery on US only auctions and send them overseas, the buyer forfeits their ability to dispute the transaction.

Ebay can be a nightmare these days unless you do a buy-it-now listing that requires immediate payment at checkout. I tried to auction my PS4 last year, and I had three straight people immediately tell me they needed to cancel as soon as they won because they had bid "on accident." When this happens, you can make an offer to the second-highest bidder, but I never heard back from any of them. When I relisted it as a buy-it-now, it sold without incident. Ebay / paypal takes a big chunk of fees, and you need to make sure you follow all of the seller protection steps when you ship.

I always do auctions at 0.01 on any popular item and they always sell for higher than anyone else. Have the auction end on a weekend night, the duration is irrelevant for a video card. You'll have 100 watchers and 300 bids by the end and its impossible not to sell. If someone pulls the "accident" then you sell the next in line $0.50 lower. The problem with bidding is setting your minimum value too high. Dont worry, a 1080ti (or PS4 for example) will never sell below market value, you're much much much much better off drumming up interest rather than worrying about it selling too cheaply. And remember you arent actually obligated to ship the item if thats a serious concern, but it wont be an issue.

I just did it for my 1080tis, and in the past for many CPUs, 1080s, 1070s, 980s, 970s, 780tis, etc.

Take ample pictures, use good lighting, take it outside if you have to.

OK, that's what I thought, but I vaguely remembered having a problem when I went from the 970 to the 1080. I think this was because I did a full restart after removing the drivers, but prior to removing the 970. This caused windows update to install Nvidia drivers, which caused me to get no video signal.

yes windows is very quick about that these days too, and it does really poorly with DP

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Got an email from EVGA to confirm my free "trim kit" selection. Neat little bonus, im getting black eyelashes for my bideocard baby.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I am using MSI afterburner with my new 2080 TI (this Gigabyte version: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N2080TGAMING-OC-11GC#kf)

I am messing around with some benchmarks, and according to afterburner it's hitting nearly 1950 MHz. The card is rated by Gigabyte to hit a boost clock of 1650 MHz (or 1665 in OC mode).

What the heck is going on? Is Afterburner misreporting? I'm not getting any instability or crashes, and I haven't touched any of the settings.

Nvidia control panel confirms the Boost Clock is 1650 MHz.

EDIT: It looks like this is normal with Boost 3.0? It's weird to see it spike so high but it settles in right around 1725 MHz or so with sustained 100% GPU usage.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 10, 2018

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
You should be able to hit around 2100

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017

Cygni posted:

Got an email from EVGA to confirm my free "trim kit" selection. Neat little bonus, im getting black eyelashes for my bideocard baby.

When did you preorder? Somehow managed to get 9900k/z390 preordered before I could a drat EVGA card.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Why do manufacturers under-report their boost frequencies so drastically?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

It kind of is that way and kind of isnt. A lot of skus are indeed very arbitrary between themselves in the same brand. What is going on though is it has to hit those numbers under a huge range of circumstances, mostly when its hot enough to throttle you shouldn't see it ever dip below the "OC" figure, but definitely not the reference figure or you have a huge problem. Thats all they promise, and the rest of it is Nvidia's own boost 3.0 essentially (and literally) self overclocking itself as far as it can under its thermal frequency lookup table. The factory clock speed figures also *should* be an indication of better binned chips, when available and or when it makes any sense anyways. These numbers mean a whole lot more for laptops, in desktops though with giant AIB coolers that move tons of heat very well it will boost itself way past the numbers on the box. And finally the offsets and power target they choose for any particular specific part number can ultimately affect the overall boost 3.0 effect - but this is completely erased once the owner installs afterburner or whatever and sets the power target to max even with no other overclock.\

But asides from all that it really does seem the actual numbers they choose are seriously unrealistically low, but again since its that way for everybody due to boost 3.0 that information still kind of trickles ... upwards

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

They have to have marketing that safely accounts for the worst 1% of their chips that go out, and they also have to provide what that chip will do when someone doesn't know enough to use overclocking utilities with it as well.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

It looks like the Gigabyte card I have is limited to 111% power limit, which is a shame. I'm going to see what the OC scanner comes up with at 111%, +500mhz on the memory, and the temp limit at 88C.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I used the Auto OC in Afterburner, and ended up sustaining about 2050-2070MHz at load. The software topped out the curve right at 2100mhz.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 10, 2018

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
haha you actually think thats bad

Only registered members can see post attachments!

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Seamonster posted:

haha you actually think thats bad

I'm sorry. I think my 1080 was also limited to 104.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Avalanche posted:

Nvidia drivers are starting to piss me off.

Installed new driver for my shiny new 2080ti on top of the nvidia driver I already had installed and the program flat out crashed during/right before? the update. Launched the .exe again and it completed ok. Rebooted, loaded up some youtube videos in full screen, and my monitor would flicker anytime I would transition from full screen to browser window mode youtube videos. Same thing on firefox, chrome, and IE.

Tried to play around with settings, but couldn't find any that would cause a resolution change screen flicker/blink when transitioning from full screen/window video playback. Add/Remove program'd the driver this time, re-ran the driver .exe, and the loving thing crashed again before even starting the update process. Re-re-re ran the driver .exe and it finally went through. Rebooted, and no more funky youtube video blink issue with full screen and window transitions.

What the gently caress?

Are we seriously back to the stone age where we have to run weird 3rd party "display driver removal" programs to do a "correct" driver install? All because the standard driver executable doesn't first uninstall the old display driver and all associated poo poo before installing the new driver?

Why are registry edits still a thing in 2018?
I'm sick and tired of these game breaking nvidia driver updates. Back, 3-4 years ago, drivers weren't such a pain in the rear end. But ever since upgrading to Pascal, I have always had problems updating drivers with my Gsync monitor + nvidia GPU. It either stutters, or causes the video card to not "activate" and have low FPS boosts until I restart my computer.

It's annoying having to do a DDU uninstall each time Nvidia updates their drivers because they update their drivers every drat month. This happened twice now in the past month with the new tomb raider patch and the patch that came out last week. I was being lazy and went for the "express install" in nvidia experience for a new patch that came a week later, and stutters + low frame rate came back. DDU'ing again

Edit: To add insult to injury, I have to redownload the 500mb drivers at 150kbs on a gigabit internet connection since thats what Nvidia's servers are giving me. gently caress sake. I shouldn't have to do this when Nvidia releases two patches in under two couple of weeks.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 10, 2018