Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

danbanana posted:

WELL IF IT ISN'T MR. SHITPALATE...

Does Two Hearted really taste different to people? I don't think I've heard that one.

I seem to recall (in this thread) someone bringing up that two hearted changed brewing facilities at some point and people claimed to be able to taste the difference. It’s most likely bullshit but that’s what I remembered coming up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Jai also seems fine to me but it's usually 2 months+ old when we get it.

Re: untappd scores. It's usually pretty good for determining if something is a pass or worth trying. A sun 3 rating is almost always going to suck and 4+ is worth taking a closer look.

E: this line of thinking tricked me into buying Avery bug zapper so don't listen to me.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 8, 2018

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

I seem to recall (in this thread) someone bringing up that two hearted changed brewing facilities at some point and people claimed to be able to taste the difference. It’s most likely bullshit but that’s what I remembered coming up.

Hm, that does ring... a bell.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Compusaurus posted:

Now if we start talking about Two Hearted tasting differently....

that's just because it's been sitting on a shelf for two months

dphi posted:

Anyone have a beer with Sabro hops yet? That is a strange flavor profile, I'll be interested to see if it gains any traction.

it had a lot of buzz at CBC this year and people lined up to try some beer that used the hop, but it didn't strike me as anything unique at the time

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 8, 2018

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I’m surprised to see people favoring Ratebeer considering it exists solely so liquor store owners can put little tags that say “99 on Ratebeer” next to poo poo like Stone IPA. It’s totally dead in the USA with just old farts and Europeans left. I mean, look at the entry for Julius. It’s one of the most hyped beers in the most hyped style and on Ratebeer it has 360 ratings total compared to 4,397 on BA and 85k on Untappd.

Beer Advocate used to be the best of the lot but is dying out now that everyone just uses Untappd. Unfortunately Untappd is mostly used as a beer Pokédex so you get people who hate sours giving 1 star Fou and poo poo like that. Despite that Untappd is still good for a quick spot check on new beers.

Sub 3.0 is undrinkable swill that can only be justifiably purchased if you’re using it to defend your Walez from thirsty relatives
3.01-3.5 you can drink if someone bought it for you or if you’re stuck in Europe
3.51-4.0 is acceptable to purchase at Kroger
4.01-4.5 is beer you might actually like to drink
4.51+ is worth getting in your white KIA soul and rustlin up some bums for the release

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

air- posted:

Untappd for me is purely tracking if I've tried a beer before, plus when was the last time and how often. Bonus points if someone on my friends list has checked in a beer as well - often means that'll be someone on this thread. Most I'll do is write a note if it's something super vile, but I just do not give a poo poo about giving ratings to beer.

That’s what I use it pretty much for. I’m trying to beat my friend on there as well. But I think it’s pretty accurate for my tastes ATM. It’s helpful that I don’t care about whales at all.

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

what'd you end up sending?

A mix of Alvarado Street, Fieldwork, Cellarmaker and some mystery beers. Hopefully these traders become regulars, cause I can keep looking for people.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

LeafHouse posted:

I’m surprised to see people favoring Ratebeer considering it exists solely so liquor store owners can put little tags that say “99 on Ratebeer” next to poo poo like Stone IPA. It’s totally dead in the USA with just old farts and Europeans left. I mean, look at the entry for Julius. It’s one of the most hyped beers in the most hyped style and on Ratebeer it has 360 ratings total compared to 4,397 on BA and 85k on Untappd.

Beer Advocate used to be the best of the lot but is dying out now that everyone just uses Untappd.

Yep. BeerAdvocate is a lot better than RateBeer. RateBeer is massively biased towards American beers even in styles where European beers should be doing really well (Pilsners and Saisons for instance). BeerAdvocate also seems to have more data about European beers. Also, RateBeer got bought by big beer.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

All beer is bad
All beer websites are bad
hth

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Any Chicagoans still need a morning session Far and Away ticket and feel like buying my extra? It's yours for the face value of $80 (I'll eat the fees).

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 8, 2018

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Paul ReiserFS posted:

All beer is bad
All beer websites are bad
hth

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

If only I had that few hours.

Killllll meeeeee

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Anyone going to the Shelton Bros. Festival in Denver? I got tickets for Friday afternoon and Saturday VIP.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Hidden Springs Berliners are soooooo mediocre. The fact that they've blown up so much would be mind boggling if I didn't know how clueless the typical Florida shitlord is.

Dan did you pop either of those Odd Breeds yet? Probably the only Florida brewery that is UNDERhyped at the moment.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Went to Moksa today, drank one of the member's only beer. I'm not a member, the guy just gave me a pour cause I was talking to him. https://untappd.com/b/moksa-brewing-co-immoderation/2876331 This is stupidly good. Makes me want to be a member, but the brewery is so far from me.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Members only ! :catstare:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Ugh, I'm officially part of the problem, got myself a members club thing with Northern Monk.

OTOH they are absolutely ridiculously good sooo

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Dan did you pop either of those Odd Breeds yet? Probably the only Florida brewery that is UNDERhyped at the moment.

Yeah, I killed the Tres Y Dos. I liked it! Like I said, I'm a sucker for rye in wild ales these days and wish more people would play with that.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Untappd is actually a pretty decent resource for normal beers. you see some 6-pack at the store you've never heard of it, seeing if it's a 3.1 vs 3.8 should give you a good idea on what its worth. there's no website that is going to give you a good idea on quality for a whale beer though, don't even bother

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Hidden Springs Berliners are soooooo mediocre. The fact that they've blown up so much would be mind boggling if I didn't know how clueless the typical Florida shitlord is.

It won't be long. I'm seeing people go on about them up here. Also I always adore your posts.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

Captain Duvel posted:

It won't be long. I'm seeing people go on about them up here. Also I always adore your posts.

I miss you buds :(

Are yall gonna try and come to Wakefest? It's real fuckin good.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

If you're in the LA area and like German fest beers, this might be of interest:

Autumn is here! The hot days of summer are going away
and the cooler nights are just around the corner.
This is just in time for some tasty autumn, fall harvest
beers. We will be serving some German beers including
a unfiltered lager, oktoberfest style beers, a pumpkin
cider and a pumpkin beer. Please see complete
line-up listed below.

In addition to the pumpkin beer on draft we have several
pumpkin beers in the bottles for you - some fresh and a few
vintage barrel aged. Come in and check out what we have.

****************SPECIAL EVENT!******************

It's time to celebrate OKTOBERFEST!

SATURDAY OCTOBER 20,2018
4:00PM TO 8:00PM

We will be serving seven different German Oktoberfest beers
and two special German surprises!

Please come for dinner and join the fun.

Fall/Harvest Line-up:

VELTIN'S GREVENSTEINER KELLERBIER '2018' ~ GERMANY
German Unfiltered Lager brewed with dark malts and fresh hops,
caramel flavor, a little bready with big malty finish

SIERRA NEVADA OKTOBERFEST LAGER '2018' ~ U.S.A.
German Style Marzen Lager brewed in collaboration with
Weihenstephan (world's oldest brewery) from Germany,
clean and crisp with a hint of bitterness and a malty backbone

GREAT DIVIDE HOSS OKTOBERFEST RYE LAGER '2018' ~ U.S.A.
German Style Rye Marzen Lager clean, crisp, dry with hints of cherry,
and malts the rye adds an earthly, spicy character

ALASKAN CRANBERRY TART ALE '2018' ~ U.S.A.
A fruit wheat beer brewed with fresh Alaskan cranberries and
Sitka spruce tips; mild sweetness with a hint of tart and pine,
nice tart cranberry finish

SCHNEIDER HOPFENWEISSE TAP 5 MEINE '2018' ~ GERMANY
German Pale Wheat Doppelbock (Weizenbock) has notes of tropical
banana, mango & pineapple; malty, hoppy, bready with a slight spicy
clove finish and hint of bitterness

SAN FERNANDO PUMPKIN PI ALE '2018' ~ U.S.A.
Pumpkin Bee brewed with pumpkins, cinnamon, nutmeg and
whipped cream; nice balance - not too much spice - not too sweet

2 TOWNS HOLLOW JACK'D IMPERIAL PUMPKIN CIDER '2018' ~ U.S.A.
A brew of fresh pressed apples, caramelized pumpkin and
sweet potatoes with a dash of honey & spices, made with Heirloom Pumpkins

WEIHENSTEPHANER KORBINIAN
German Doppelbock brewed under the German Purity Law of 1516'
(Reinheitsgebot), has hints of plums, figs, toffee, nuts and
chocolate; semi-sweet finish

Stuffed Sandwich
1145 E. Las Tunas Drive
San Gabriel, CA 91776
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

And if you do hang with them, funkybottoms, please spend the entire time trying to convince them to remake Radlersnake AKA Screw You Jeremy Danner and then get me a keg of it because it would be all I would happily drink for a couple months

i just told him about this and he scoffed and said, "really? that beer was loving stupid." he explained that it was a total experiment and started laughing when he said, "it's got loving Splenda in it!" still, he was flattered, so he said to tell you to get their gose and add lemon peel and Splenda, because that's exactly how they made it.

he also confirmed that Dinosmores was a joke that bit him in the rear end, but at least he doesn't have to brew it himself anymore.

and if that first line makes him sound like a jerk, he's actually a really nice dude and we're having fun hanging out (we always make the schedule super-light on collab days, so there's plenty of time to shoot the poo poo)

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

i just told him about this and he scoffed and said, "really? that beer was loving stupid." he explained that it was a total experiment and started laughing when he said, "it's got loving Splenda in it!" still, he was flattered, so he said to tell you to get their gose and add lemon peel and Splenda, because that's exactly how they made it.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's underplaying that all a little though since that poo poo was aged in gin barrels, which I don't have regular access to... And it's still their best beer.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

funkybottoms posted:

he also confirmed that Dinosmores was a joke that bit him in the rear end, but at least he doesn't have to brew it himself anymore.

and if that first line makes him sound like a jerk, he's actually a really nice dude and we're having fun hanging out (we always make the schedule super-light on collab days, so there's plenty of time to shoot the poo poo)

I love everything about this. Sounds like a great time.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

danbanana posted:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's underplaying that all a little though since that poo poo was aged in gin barrels, which I don't have regular access to... And it's still their best beer.

i know you have regular access to gin, though

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Drink all that Korbinian, hard to find even here in Europe and it owns

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

I love everything about this. Sounds like a great time.

aside from brewing with my friend from Idle Hands, this is definitely the most fun i've had with a collaboration

(if i didn't say it before, it's a petite saison with juniper berries in the mash and black pepper in the whirlpool and we're using a newly-available Lithuanian farmhouse yeast called Jovaru)

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

funkybottoms posted:

aside from brewing with my friend from Idle Hands, this is definitely the most fun i've had with a collaboration

(if i didn't say it before, it's a petite saison with juniper berries in the mash and black pepper in the whirlpool and we're using a newly-available Lithuanian farmhouse yeast called Jovaru)

ISO :cheerdoge:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Yeah no poo poo. Send them bottles!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

ISO this

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

you know i got you

danbanana posted:

Yeah no poo poo. Send them bottles!

crowlers, but sure! i'll throw some IPAs in the boiler room tomorrow so i can send those along, as well

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

funkybottoms posted:

Nice, is it bitter?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Dats pretty hazy, bro

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Biomute posted:

Nice, is it bitter?

we only brewed it today, but we used really low alpha acid Czech Saaz for i think 25 IBU, so it certainly shouldn't be. i floated the idea to age it in gin barrels, so we'll see if that pans out...

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

funkybottoms posted:

come to butthead

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I am also ISO.

Also Atlanta's bizarro pseudo-monthly drop of Old Nation cans landed and fresh M-43 and Boss Tweed scratch the hazy IPA itch better than any local Atlanta-area brewery. I am absolutely looking forward to being back in Richmond for Christmas and getting to go to Ardent, Triple Crossing and Veil again though.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

poop dood posted:

I am also ISO.

Also Atlanta's bizarro pseudo-monthly drop of Old Nation cans landed and fresh M-43 and Boss Tweed scratch the hazy IPA itch better than any local Atlanta-area brewery. I am absolutely looking forward to being back in Richmond for Christmas and getting to go to Ardent, Triple Crossing and Veil again though.

I have yet to find boss tweed in loving Michigan. I did have a can, however, of their Cart Horse which was tasty. Looks like they renamed Boxer.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Nth Doctor posted:

I have yet to find boss tweed in loving Michigan. I did have a can, however, of their Cart Horse which was tasty. Looks like they renamed Boxer.

I've found it in a ton of supermarkets in Ann Arbor...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Sirotan posted:

I've found it in a ton of supermarkets in Ann Arbor...

ISO: case of boss tweed or m43
FT: mid range lambic