Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

buglord posted:

How do I deny incoming calls? Certain phone numbers will let me deny the call, others will only let me silence the ringer, but not cancel the incoming call.

These are all robocallers, for what its worth. I could just let the calls time out, but I have too many linked iDevices around me and I dont want to hear an orchestra of ringtones from my iPad and Macbook and Apple Watch.

e: apps I use haven't worked either. and it doesn't stop the incoming calls, just tells me the number I suspected is a robocaller.

Double-tap the sleep button I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Josh Lyman posted:

I finally got a chance to go to the AT&T store to exchange my launch day XS with the screen banding in the right edge. It was within their 30 day return window so I was okay, right? Wrong, the return window is 14 days so I missed it by 2 days. And Apple will only do a screen replacement, not a swap, but obviously they don’t have any XS screens sitting around so it’ll take another week. That’s fine but I’m worried they’re going to screw up the waterproof seals during the screen replacement. What’s the best way to test that after? Take the phone with me into the shower one night?

Super late reply but Apple likely won’t have screens in stock yet and you’ll get a full phone replacement. It takes a month or two for the supply chain to catch up.

Source: I just did this yesterday for a small chip I managed to get in my screen somehow and I used to be a genius.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Nobody upgraded to iOS 12.0.1 yet?

Apple posted:

iOS 12.0.1 includes bug fixes and improvements for your iPhone or iPad. This update:

- Fixes an issue where some iPhone XS devices do not immediately charge when connected to a Lightning cable

- Resolves an issue that could cause iPhone XS devices to rejoin a Wi-Fi network at 2.4 GHz instead of 5 GHz

- Restores the original position of the ".?123" key on the iPad keyboard

- Fixes an issue where subtitles may not appear in some video apps

- Addresses an issue where Bluetooth could become unavailable

- For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

Working fine for me..

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Can confirm, working well. I'm now holding the 5ghz band on WiFi. Can't comment on the charge bug as I was never hit with it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

buglord posted:

How do I deny incoming calls? Certain phone numbers will let me deny the call, others will only let me silence the ringer, but not cancel the incoming call.
One press of the power button silences the ringer. Two presses sends the call straight to voicemail.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

One press of the power button silences the ringer. Two presses sends the call straight to voicemail.

It doesn’t silence the ringer on other devices though, does it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Pretty sure it does.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Proteus Jones posted:

yes

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Man I am loving the XS Max. It's just SO good in the hand. I use a saddle brown leather case when I'm doing something more sketchy or active, but at work and at home I'm raw dogging this bad boy.

The feeling of it is straight up luxury, and watching video on it is so good that I usually don't even bother grabbing my 12.9 inch ipad pro.

Super pleased. My only complaint so far is that it's needed to be reset a few times already, where Face ID stops working right or Carplay starts messing up. A reset always works perfectly, but it feels weird having to reset such a premium device that is otherwise so fast and capable. hopefully this will get ironed out in future updates.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Sleep/Power button trick worked with this evening's robocall. Thanks for that yall. Everyone I know with robocall problems just defaults to ignoring any number not associated with a contact, and then reading voice mail if a message is ever placed. A lot of people my age have been doing that for a while now, but it seems like the robocallpocalypse changed the behavior of our parents too.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Does anyone here gently caress with PopSoccets? I've been thinking about going full teen and getting a nice clear or smoky case and then popping an all black PopSoccet on it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

Does anyone here gently caress with PopSoccets? I've been thinking about going full teen and getting a nice clear or smoky case and then popping an all black PopSoccet on it.

I don’t carry a purse so no.

However I do like the idea of it but it would make carrying the Maxxxx in my pocket pretty much impossible.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

Binary Badger posted:

Nobody upgraded to iOS 12.0.1 yet?

Working fine for me..

I have hit the emoji buttons so many times on my ipad.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

Wife uses one quite a bit and seems to like it.

I would get one myself but I have a magnetic phone mount that would be awkward to work around.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

e.pilot posted:

Super late reply but Apple likely won’t have screens in stock yet and you’ll get a full phone replacement. It takes a month or two for the supply chain to catch up.

Source: I just did this yesterday for a small chip I managed to get in my screen somehow and I used to be a genius.
The Apple Store in Bethesda, MD specifically said they would have given me a full replacement had I bought my phone from Apple directly, but since I bought it from AT&T, they’re making me wait until they get in a replacement screen.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Josh Lyman posted:

The Apple Store in Bethesda, MD specifically said they would have given me a full replacement had I bought my phone from Apple directly, but since I bought it from AT&T, they’re making me wait until they get in a replacement screen.

Can confirm, I've gotten a similarly bitchy response from an Apple Store about good-will exceptions when you buy from a non-Apple place like a phone carrier.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

LODGE NORTH posted:

I tried one, but it doesn't stick to my Apple leather case.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a PopSoccet on my phone, which is just a hair smaller than the XS Max. It's pretty much a necessity imho, but I do have smallish hands (for comparison I find my Switch's Joycon perfectly comfortable to hold in one hand without the wrist strap attached).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Something Offal posted:

Can confirm, I've gotten a similarly bitchy response from an Apple Store about good-will exceptions when you buy from a non-Apple place like a phone carrier.
When carrier-subsidizes phones were still a thing, I would always buy through Apple. But AFAIK you can’t do a carrier installment plan through Apple, which is what everyone does these days.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Josh Lyman posted:

That is absolutely not standard practice, go again and hopefully get a different genius or go to a different store entirely. Or ask to talk to a manager.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

But AFAIK you can’t do a carrier installment plan through Apple, which is what everyone does these days.

You can, but only on AT&T and Verizon.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

LODGE NORTH posted:

My wife likes one for added grip safety on her max. Be warned, though, unless anyone knows any tips, you have to take it out of the poop-socked case to wirelessly charge it...

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I love the PopSocket why are you people spelling it "PopSocccet"? You can use a phone one handed, mount it to your car, use it as a stand, rotate the phone to any angle to watch sweet YouTube videos, and the best part is you can read forums one handed. Great for the Kindle as well.

MarcusSA posted:

I don’t carry a purse so no.

However I do like the idea of it but it would make carrying the Maxxxx in my pocket pretty much impossible.

How tight are your pants? It collapses to the thickness of like 2-3 quarters stacked on top of each other.

edit: I'm a PopSocket shill drat

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My friends 6S is stuck in recovery mode. Hasn't backed it up in a long rear end time. Doesn't want to lose his baby photos.

What are his (my) options?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

My friends 6S is stuck in recovery mode. Hasn't backed it up in a long rear end time. Doesn't want to lose his baby photos.

What are his (my) options?

Not looking good for those photos unfortunately. Likely gone. Hard lesson that if family pictures are important, paying $1-3 a month for iCloud (or using google photos for free) is worth every penny for a primary picture taking device.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I see more phones with pop sockets then without and the old idiot in me wants to range against them but it seems like a really nice thing to have.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Not looking good for those photos unfortunately. Likely gone. Hard lesson that if family pictures are important, paying $1-3 a month for iCloud (or using google photos for free) is worth every penny for a primary picture taking device.

Well I tried to update it and it now says press home to update, and his home button is broken which is what started this whole ordeal apparently.

Is there still a thing about non genuine touchID sensors causing problems? He's had it repaired before by a third party so it's likely not genuine.

I told him to take it to Apple and get it properly repaired, pay the repair fee and that gives him the best chance at getting them back. He's reluctant to do so and prefers his local guy.

And yeah he's getting an XS this week so I already explained to him the value of iCloud storage. He's now aware.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Dave posted:

I see more phones with pop sockets then without and the old idiot in me wants to range against them but it seems like a really nice thing to have.

I'd say a good 80% of the people I work with have them. What makes them dumb or bad is when they're patterned--i have a plain gold one and it looks awesome on my matte black phone.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Josh Lyman posted:

When carrier-subsidizes phones were still a thing, I would always buy through Apple. But AFAIK you can’t do a carrier installment plan through Apple, which is what everyone does these days.

They do? I hear a lot more about the Apple Upgrade Program which is available on Verizon, AT&T, Sprint & T-Mobile and which gives you a 24-month 0% loan for the phone in addition to the ability to upgrade at 1 year which is more often talked about.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

azzenco posted:

I love the PopSocket why are you people spelling it "PopSocccet"? You can use a phone one handed, mount it to your car, use it as a stand, rotate the phone to any angle to watch sweet YouTube videos, and the best part is you can read forums one handed. Great for the Kindle as well.

How tight are your pants? It collapses to the thickness of like 2-3 quarters stacked on top of each other.

edit: I'm a PopSocket shill drat

Do you have tiny baby hands or something? I can do all of this without gluing a stupid thing to my telephone.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh no triggered by pop sockets

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Is managing passcodes centrally for corporate phones a new thing? My wife has to change hers every 6 weeks and managed to forget the passcode. I thought she might be boned, but her IT department was able to reset it.

I question whether this is new because that would have made the whole San Bernardino/FBI/Apple backdoor hack thing a whole lot easier to resolve.

Also, pop sockets are awesome and good except you can't wirelessly charge.They need to make a cradle with a pop socket indention.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Laserface posted:

Is there still a thing about non genuine touchID sensors causing problems? He's had it repaired before by a third party so it's likely not genuine.

Did not know that was even a thing. TouchID hooks deep into the phone and a non-genuine repair could introduce a bunch of issues probably.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

The Dave posted:

It's kind of amusing that the large cell phone design is so bad that most people feel that they need to buy knobs that stick out of their phones in order to be able to hold them.

It's really too bad that Apple isn't making new products with the iPhone 5s/SE or even the iPhone 6/7/8 form factor, and is moving towards selling only large phones.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Is managing passcodes centrally for corporate phones a new thing? My wife has to change hers every 6 weeks and managed to forget the passcode. I thought she might be boned, but her IT department was able to reset it.

I question whether this is new because that would have made the whole San Bernardino/FBI/Apple backdoor hack thing a whole lot easier to resolve.

Also, pop sockets are awesome and good except you can't wirelessly charge.They need to make a cradle with a pop socket indention.

Yeah my work phone is corporate managed and they can do that.

Also I thought the phone they had was a personal one so it wouldn't have solved that issue.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah my work phone is corporate managed and they can do that.

Also I thought the phone they had was a personal one so it wouldn't have solved that issue.

It was provided by the city government. One of the arguments for cracking it was that it was government property and he had no expectations of privacy.

But it's not like city governments are at for forefront of technology so even if corporate management was possible back in 2016 I doubt they would have made that leap yet.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Krispy Wafer posted:

yeah they've had corporate policy capabilities for a half decade or more now

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

silence_kit posted:

It's kind of amusing that the large cell phone design is so bad that most people feel that they need to buy knobs that stick out of their phones in order to be able to hold them.

It's really too bad that Apple isn't making new products with the iPhone 5s/SE or even the iPhone 6/7/8 form factor, and is moving towards selling only large phones.

It’s not so black and white though, like you can enjoy having the larger screen/form factor and be okay needing a pop socket to easily reach the top of the screen. A solution doesn’t have to only be smaller phones.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endless Mike posted:

Do you have tiny baby hands or something? I can do all of this without gluing a stupid thing to my telephone.

They aren't permanent, they peel off pretty easily, but not easily enough that they fall off the phone.

I dare you to try using one for a week, I think you'll like it even if you've got Marques Brownlee or Yao Ming hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

asecondduck posted:

They aren't permanent, they peel off pretty easily, but not easily enough that they fall off the phone.

I dare you to try using one for a week, I think you'll like it even if you've got Marques Brownlee or Yao Ming hands.

No wireless charging, no buys.