Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I had to take a PTO day a couple of weeks ago because just one of the boys was sick and couldn’t go to daycare. I originally was going to try to WFH but you try explaining that to a 15 month old that just wants daddy to read him books. It was actually kind of nice to be able to focus and spend time with just one kid for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010
Hey possibly awful question here. My four year old managed to get a slightly nasty cut on his head at preschool. Took him to urgent care, got three staples. Scary, but not really a huge deal. Kiddo is a champ. I'm supposed to go back after a week to get them removed but my health insurance is pretty awful. Is it a terrible idea to just get a staple removal kit and take them out myself?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Does the doc charge again for removal?

Some docs build the removal cost into the price and don't charge for the follow up visit. Some probably charge. Might be worth a call asking snd explaining the situation!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Can you get stuff like that taken care of at a minute clinic?

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

sheri posted:

Does the doc charge again for removal?

Some docs build the removal cost into the price and don't charge for the follow up visit. Some probably charge. Might be worth a call asking snd explaining the situation!

I just called them, and they don't charge again for removal. Thanks so much!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Every now and then I read a post on here and thank gently caress for the NHS

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We had meetings with a representative from the municipality and our kids daycare teachers, went over their strengths, weaknesses, where they need extra help, goals for this semester.

What we found is they are happy kids, but wild, both have impulse control issues, Daniel is worse, he hits other kids, they say it's not mean spirited, just impulse control, but they also say he only does it to those he know doesn't hit back. So I don't know what to make of it, other kids don't want to play with him because of this (though he seems to have friends). Impulse control and concentration seems to be the root cause.

And we talk to him daily about not hitting anyone, and to try and stop and slow down, calm down. This is the gist of it for both kids, and they think they both need a dedicated person all the time in daycare and that's what they are gonna try and get for them. There is already a person who Daniel has a real good relationship with, but she is only there for mondays and fridays, they'd like to hire her full time for this, but it's hard to get the municipality to do any such thing ($$$) without the neurologists exam and recommendations, which are not scheduled until after christmas. And holy hell it's gonna be a doozy, they have scheduled a whole week worth of checkups, one every day that week. So I am taking my winter vacation-week to coincide with this.

At least they are constantly improving, but as they also say this is a critical stage to learn concentration and set up you know, the "proper mental structures" while they are still young, it won't be good for them if they come to school and they are expected to sit down and focus and work on their own and have never learned how. So these things need to be addressed preemptively.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

sebzilla posted:

My 5-year old hit her head one morning, and then vomited in the evening. My husband freaked out, fearing a concussion or something, and took her to the Urgent Care. After a half-dozen medicinal popsicles, some blood tests and monitoring, she was released and felt fine after a long sleep.

I spent the next 6 weeks fearing whatever giant insurance bill we would be responsible for. It literally kept us up nights, general health insurance anxiety. This was around the time Trump and his squad were trying to repeal the ACA. The final bill wasn't too bad, but perhaps that was because I had worried so much about it I was expecting a 5 figure bill.

The US health insurance system is terrible.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

sebzilla posted:

This summer, my daughter tripped over her own feet at the playground and broke her elbow. Not just a little break, but had to go to Oakland and see the pediatric orthopedic surgeon to pin it. I was 6 months pregnant at the time and we had just moved 2 months before.

Between her surgery and everything associated with my pregnancy/delivery, we hit the 10k out of pocket family max in 3 months. :cripes:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Ok we let our kids use smart phones from time to time, we got old ones without a sim card they can youtube stuff with. Has anyone else noticed kids have really weird tastes? They spend loads of time just watching videos of people demonstrating various ring signals, or most recently they seem to be fascinated with church bells ringing. Less strange I guess is watching firetrucks and police cars etc. driving aorund with sirens blaring, that stuff is gold apparently but it makes more sense than church bells.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

His Divine Shadow posted:

Ok we let our kids use smart phones from time to time, we got old ones without a sim card they can youtube stuff with. Has anyone else noticed kids have really weird tastes? They spend loads of time just watching videos of people demonstrating various ring signals, or most recently they seem to be fascinated with church bells ringing. Less strange I guess is watching firetrucks and police cars etc. driving aorund with sirens blaring, that stuff is gold apparently but it makes more sense than church bells.

https://medium.com/@jamesbridle/something-is-wrong-on-the-internet-c39c471271d2

I'd say it's been remarked on. Kids youtube's that they enjoy can be more or less procedurally generated these days.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Goddamn the 4 month sleep regression is no joke.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yeah, I pretty much stopped my kid from watching Youtube. I'm sure there's good content on there, but even the stuff that's not hyper-weird like the Elsagate stuff is still mostly trash. Netflix and BBC iPlayer have a ton of good kid's shows on there, and while he does whine sometimes about not being able to watch Minecraft videos, I'm pretty sure we made a good decision.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ok our kids haven't seen any of the weird stuff in the medium.com article, these are normal videos of people ringing church bells and parades in cities of firetrucks and the like, I dunno what's the deal with the people demonstrating ring signals though, nothing creepy violent weird like in the article.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Disable auto play is my main tip

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My kid likes watching people go-pro'ing waterslides.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My kid somehow found the YouTube app on her own and then would end up binging cupcake baking videos a few times. Strange.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Mine like watching videos of people unboxing toys, surprise eggs and the like. Also vids of people playing with toys, particularly LOL Dolls. Seems like crap to me, but probably less weird than the stuff you list, but I would probably be weirdly proud of them liking offbeat stuff.

I go through phases of watching rollercoaster POV videos - they saw me one time and then got into it as well, asking for it on subsequent occasions, which amused and pleased me.

They are rarely allowed to watch Youtube poo poo anymore though and their screen time generally comprises actual programmes or a bit of gaming. Youtube is allowed now and then - we're not fundamentally against it or anything.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 9, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Eh, I'm sure most goons had parents that commented that the shows their kids were watching were pointless garbage, so I guess it's just product of becoming a :corsair: when the same goons see the weird stuff their own kids watch on YouTube and complain. And I doubt a procedural video of Pregnant Elsa Unboxes Foreverally Delitized Spiderman will turn anyone into a serial killer.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I think there's a qualitative difference between a programme with a plot, characters and basic structure, whether from today or my own childhood, and a video of someone unwrapping a toy and chatting stream-of-consciousness mundanities while they do it. Not that I don't get what you're saying, nor, as above, do I think that means the latter should not be allowed, but I'd definitely rather more screen time was spent on the former.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

And weird procedurally generated videos of favourite characters hurting each other and crying and being injected and stuff is probably not ideal watching. It might not make them a serial killer but it can't do much good.

My kid (aged 3) doesn't have any youtube access and we're trying to limit other watching to short bursts of 15-20 minutes on iPlayer or Netflix while she'd be otherwise left on her own (when we're showering etc) and maybe a family film on a weekend. Drifted quite a long way from that recently so having to do some work to pull it back. It's so easy to use TV as a crutch.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My 5 year old also likes watching funny cat videos so I guess he gets the internet already.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
My kid was on coloring videos, then play-doh videos, and now it's sort of videos of people playing with paw patrol toys. It got crazy there for a bit and it's all being pared back down now.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

My kid likes Teletubbies and videos of airplanes. No idea where the airplane obsession comes from, but anytime she hears an airplane she stops what she's doing, look around, and when she spots it, giggles, points, and blows raspberries.

No way I'm letting her have the run of Youtube or pick what she watches there. Even if she doesn't land on the downright hosed up poo poo that somehow slips into kid's Youtube, kids will watch repetitive nonsense like Kinder egg opening for hours because it gives their little brains a dopamine spike.

Actually now that I think about it I'm just not comfortable with her using the internet at all. She can get a smartphone or any internet connected device when she pays for it with money from her own paycheck. :saddowns:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
On an entirely different note, we just had our second on Wednesday, and my wife's already slipping toward "let him nap while holding him" especially at nighttime feedings. We did that with our first, and while it was convenient, neither of us want to repeat that. How can we get him to enjoy (or at least be content in) his bassinet?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

hooah posted:

On an entirely different note, we just had our second on Wednesday, and my wife's already slipping toward "let him nap while holding him" especially at nighttime feedings. We did that with our first, and while it was convenient, neither of us want to repeat that. How can we get him to enjoy (or at least be content in) his bassinet?

The kid's a week old? I'd probably not worry so much about getting him to like his bassinet just yet and enjoy the fact that he naps at all. Try again when he's a month or two old. All kids are different, but the standard tips are to put them in the crib / bassinet when they're sleepy but not sleeping; and keep it cool, dark, and quiet in the room.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

hooah posted:

Everything I've read is just like 'do whatever it takes for the first 6 weeks'. And then start trying to put them down drowsy. For us it was very incremental because despite no matter how much we timed it, our kid was just screaming as soon as he realized it was bed/naptime. But then it became a matter of calming him down and when he was calm, placing him in the bassinet. One trick I found is to put him down butt first, remove that hand and place it on his chest and then lower him down that way. If I'm shushing him, I call this move "assassinating the Pope". For night feedings, our guy also really doesn't wake up, he just slurps while kind of dozing, so there's no real delimiter between awake and asleep. Final note is that you should definitely try not to let him fall asleep while feeding, that is a very difficult habit to break.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Can anyone recommend a shoe that doesn't fall apart in a couple months? I am tired of buying my 5 year old new shoes every 2 or 3 months because the top separates from the sole. Part of the problem might be that he's a little on the small size for his age so he's still in toddler shoes. He wears around a size 11. I was thinking of trying something like a converse style shoe where the toe and heel are sort of combined into one rubber covering. The problem is he can't tie laces yet.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

The only shows that stand up to my kid (now five) after he turned three were Plae or Keen brands.

He's been in this pair of Plae ones for a while now and I think he's actually going up outgrow them instead of wearing them out! They are still in really good shape!

They are spendy, but they hold up for us.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Alterian posted:

Can anyone recommend a shoe that doesn't fall apart in a couple months? I am tired of buying my 5 year old new shoes every 2 or 3 months because the top separates from the sole. Part of the problem might be that he's a little on the small size for his age so he's still in toddler shoes. He wears around a size 11. I was thinking of trying something like a converse style shoe where the toe and heel are sort of combined into one rubber covering. The problem is he can't tie laces yet.

2 months? drat that's long. Our shoes last two weeks if we're lucky.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

My son’s See Kai Run shoes seem to hold up pretty well, he wore one pair for close to 6 months before I realized I was cramming his feet into shoes that were 2 sizes too small...

They also make converse sneakers where the laces are decorative and they’re actually slip on, so you could try those.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

hooah posted:

I wouldn't stress too much until 1-2 months. I can definitely understand wanting to avoid having to break the habit - I went through the same thing this past month and it was hell. But they're too young for them to form *any* habits, let alone bad ones

In terms of getting used to the crib then I found tight swaddles and a space heater worked wonders

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Hi_Bears posted:

My son’s See Kai Run shoes seem to hold up pretty well, he wore one pair for close to 6 months before I realized I was cramming his feet into shoes that were 2 sizes too small...

They also make converse sneakers where the laces are decorative and they’re actually slip on, so you could try those.

We tried these in our bid to find durable shoes.

They fell apart so quickly they sent us a second pair free when we told them and those fell apart quickly too.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

hooah posted:

I've been taking an online course on newborn sleep so as not to repeat all the mistakes we made with our first. Baby 2 isn't here yet so I haven't put these to the test, but the course recommends practicing letting them put themselves to sleep once or twice a day - even going far as jostling them a little when you transfer them from your arms so they wake up just enough to realize they're in their bassinet and will (hopefully) go back to sleep on their own. You can also try to soothe them in the bassinet after putting them down awake - hand on their chest, rocking them a little with your hand, giving them a pacifier, using a sound machine/going shhhhh. The goal is to not immediately pick them up every time they fuss, but to give them a minute to try to fall asleep on their own. For nighttime feedings instead of immediately feeding them when they cry, you try to soothe them with the aforementioned methods first, and then feed when nothing else suffices.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Hi_Bears posted:

I've been taking an online course on newborn sleep so as not to repeat all the mistakes we made with our first. Baby 2 isn't here yet so I haven't put these to the test, but the course recommends practicing letting them put themselves to sleep once or twice a day - even going far as jostling them a little when you transfer them from your arms so they wake up just enough to realize they're in their bassinet and will (hopefully) go back to sleep on their own. You can also try to soothe them in the bassinet after putting them down awake - hand on their chest, rocking them a little with your hand, giving them a pacifier, using a sound machine/going shhhhh. The goal is to not immediately pick them up every time they fuss, but to give them a minute to try to fall asleep on their own. For nighttime feedings instead of immediately feeding them when they cry, you try to soothe them with the aforementioned methods first, and then feed when nothing else suffices.

Do you have a link to this online course? Our first child is 6 weeks and having issues: he hates the bassinet, his days and nights are flipped, etc). We've done the things you've mentioned plus having a set bedtime routine down to comfort nursing as a last resort but haven't seen results yet. He is awake from midnight to 4am and extremely cranky and needy of mom. He's an absolute angel during the daytime though.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 10, 2018

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Boosh! posted:

Do you have a link to this online course? Our first child is 6 weeks and having issues: he hates the bassinet, his days and nights are flipped, etc). We've done the things you've mentioned plus having a set bedtime routine down to comfort nursing as a last resort but haven't seen results yet. He is awake from midnight to 4am and extremely cranky and needy of mom. He's an absolute angel during the daytime though.

https://takingcarababies.com/newborn-class/

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Thank you.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Dang, wish I knew this thread existed two months ago, or even last month.

Our son is five months old. He is generally a really happy baby and smiles at everyone, is fairly easy to please outside his developmental milestones making him grumpy, we assume because all the things he learns are overwhelming at times, and is overall not much of a complainer outside crying because he's sleepy or hungry.

BUT, he's been in his sleep regression lately and it's kicking his rear end and ours. We just started him in daycare last week and he seems to be able to even put himself to sleep there, but has only done this twice at home during the day and never at night. I run a business so my schedule is flexible and thus I've been at home a lot with him as he's grown and my wife has been on maternity leave, making it a lot easier to deal with night wakeups. But since she's been back at work it's been exhausting. He used to sleep really well, only waking up once a night to eat and occasionally sleeping through the night. Now everything is out of whack and it's hard to pull ourselves out of bed to put him back to sleep since he won't do it on his own. We put him down in his room about 7, he sleeps without even stirring until around 10 when we transfer him to our room and do a dream feeding before putting him in his pack n' play. Two hours later he wakes up and then it's every hour or so. Each time it's nearly impossible to get him back to sleep--neither of us has this kind of trouble for daytime naps. So by the time we do get him back to sleep it's been a half hour and whoever takes the turn is wide awake. Then, we put him in his pack n' play and he either wakes up immediately and won't take a paci or he wakes up ten or so minutes later. I'd like to point out that we do wait about five minutes before even getting up. We had also been doing takingcarababies for each wakeup, which got so old (he wasn't responding to any of it) that my wife kept getting frustrated and getting up and nursing him just so she could go back to sleep. I get up about half the time and find that while I can get him calm and "asleep" in my arms while basically doing squats (if I don't do actual squats at a rapid pace he arches his back and moves his head to cry), it's almost pointless as he just wakes right back up before I've got him halfway down toward his pack n' play. I'll admit that we probably didn't give takingcarababies enough time to take hold in his mind, and for myself I excused this by saying to my wife, "I don't know if he's capable of learning this during sleep regression."

We've read numerous articles that seem to contradict one another. We've read that his sleep brain during the day is way different than his sleep brain at night so whatever we do during the day to sleep train him doesn't matter at night. We've read that the better he naps during the day the better he sleeps at night--he RARELY takes a nap longer than thirty minutes at home or at daycare. We've tried to keep him up until around 8 just so he might sleep past 6am, because when he wakes up that early one of us has to get up with him and he will play for about an hour before crying and rubbing his eyes. We only swaddle anymore as a last resort because during one night wakeup I went to him to see the flaps up near his neck; plus he's THIS close to being able to roll from his back to his stomach. So we got a Magic Merlin sleep suit a couple months ago because a friend of ours swore by it. While he slept amazingly in this thing (and looked loving adorable doing it) before, in his sleep regression it makes no real difference. He's not nuts about his paci and since he's breastfed his pediatrician said he will only be able to keep it in consistently when he takes bottles more. That's been the case lately but he is happy to spit it out. If I put him down with the paci in (if it doesn't fall out) his hands go right up there to touch it and he will eventually rip it out--if I hold his arms he squirms and that doesn't exactly help him sleep. He's getting close to being able to get it back in his mouth without getting it backwards but until then the paci has little effect unless he's on his side in my arms with his head against my underarm to hold the paci in. Basically we just need sleep and don't know when this will end or what to do, especially now that he's also in another milestone stage which has always thrown him off with sleep. AND finally, my mother-in-law suggested we try to give him some rice cereal in about an ounce of breastmilk and see if that helps. We've tried consistently but we're not sure he's ready for big boy food yet, he hasn't shown real interest in it or reached for our food but it is close to the time that the pediatrician said he might be able to eat it. I'm sure with practice he will be able to do it but for now most of it ends up on his bib.

Is this something we just have to weather for now and work to break bad sleep associations later? Or do we need to nut up and go down what seems the longest road ever with takingcarababies or something similar? I saw it mentioned a few comments up but down know who it's worked for and who it hasn't worked for. Sorry for the long post in a thread that seems chock-full of goon parents about to have nervous breakdowns from lack of sleep, but I'm interested to hear of other experiences with sleep regression and what your kids were capable of learning during this. It's pure loving hell and for the first time this week I found myself longing for the newborn days where he'd only wake up to eat and then go right back to sleep.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
It feels kinda flippant to write such a short reply after such a long post but....it'll pass. Do what you gotta do to get through. If that's co-sleeping for a little while with him, or setting up a bed in his room next to him, my advice would be just to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Phew, that sounds rough. I think a lot of that is typical regression stuff that you just need to weather through, but there's some things you might be doing to make it worse

I'd say it's definitely sleep association related as waking up once an hour is the classic symptom of one. If I had to guess I'd say it's probably nursing, but it might also be he wakes up and realizes he's not in the same room he fell asleep in and that could be bothering him a lot

Do you need to transfer rooms? From your post it sounds like you're waking him up just to nurse and that seems like a bad idea to me.