Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

sourdough posted:

Camera, software, updates, warranty
This guy gets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Order for white 5.5" is placed. 600mhz support, wireless charging, and the extra software tweaks make it worthwhile to me.

The AI zoom stuff is pretty drat cool.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tim Whatley posted:

I know this is obviously YMMV but I had every Galaxy through S7 and I got tired of the bloatware and bad UI slowing it down like a year later, then one day my S7 overheated to the point it gave me minor burns while charging and I instantly bought a Pixel. Will never own another Samsung phone.
Sadly for you the S8 is where they fixed the bloat.
I got an S8 for free but I'd buy an S9 over a pixel 3 if I needed a new phone this year, and that's a pretty sad state.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I was hoping the base Pixel would be cheaper than $799, goddamn. I'm looking at my S7 Edge with an ever-present pink line running down the middle of the display thinking "I mean this thing does still technically work.."

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'll probably get google'd but I ordered the Pixel 3 XL from Project Fi. My 6P is giving up the ghost.

I missed the presentation. Does the stand look worth $80?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

sourdough posted:

It'll be a massive upgrade from the Moto, I'd definitely do that

Also say what you will buy the worst hardware issues Google has dealt with were bootloops and blue tinted screens, not exploding conflagrations

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I'm excited about my new, slightly faster and better, phone coming next week to replace my 2XL.

Now just to decide if I want to Swappa or do the trade in thing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tim Whatley posted:

I know this is obviously YMMV but I had every Galaxy through S7 and I got tired of the bloatware and bad UI slowing it down like a year later, then one day my S7 overheated to the point it gave me minor burns while charging and I instantly bought a Pixel. Will never own another Samsung phone.

The S8 is when things really changed for Samsung, also lol at your phone burning you. If this actually happened, did you get it replaced? Full refund? Etc?

Khablam posted:

Sadly for you the S8 is where they fixed the bloat.
I got an S8 for free but I'd buy an S9 over a pixel 3 if I needed a new phone this year, and that's a pretty sad state.

I'm not sure how I feel about the 3XL and am waiting for detailed reviews showing the screen, camera, and battery. I'm leaning towards a Note 9 tbh

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I'm waiting for Verizon deals. Their site is already showing a buy one get one deal, although I don't know if it includes the XL. Also a free dock.

I think I got my Pixel 1 XL on a Verizon black Friday deal or something for 50% off. We'll see if they offer something like that again.

Obviously not too useful for people not on Verizon, but for those who are you may want to see what's offered.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

sourdough posted:

And yet all of them are somehow trumped by that hideous loving notch.

Calaveron posted:

Also say what you will buy the worst hardware issues Google has dealt with were bootloops and blue tinted screens, not exploding conflagrations

If anything, I trust Samsung batteries more, now. They now are hyper aware of how reliable their batteries have to be lest their entire mobile division folds.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Yeah, looks like I'll be sticking with my essential phone for a while. Not worth it at those prices.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'll get the $ 1499 Pixel 5

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Are the USB-C wired pixel buds included with the 3's? I thought I saw that leaked somewhere, but I'm not seeing any mention of it now.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Daily Forecast posted:

If anything, I trust Samsung batteries more, now. They now are hyper aware of how reliable their batteries have to be lest their entire mobile division folds.

lmao

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I wish I could get the Note 9 hardware with the Pixel software. What a poo poo choice I have, wanting a new phone right now!

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Has a Samsung phone exploded since the Note 7? And we're not counting obviously hilariously fake cash grab news stories.

edit: unless you're talking about the comment about their mobile division folding, and I dunno- like I said, I work in phones, and even still I have people say "SAAAAARMSUURNG? YOU MEAN DA EXPLODIN' PHONES???" even two loving years later on. All Samsung would need is to be known as "the exploding phone company" even more and I feel like consumer opinion about them would change overnight. If anything, it would drive a ton of people to Apple.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 9, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

P3 exclusive things:

Titan Security Chip
Google Call Screening (making Duplex talk to SPAM calls)
Super res zoom (using the slight movement of your hand to get data to enhance digital zoom shots)
Top Shot (batch shooting of subjects with the best photos picked out)
Night Sight (post processing to lighten dark areas in shots)

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

The S8 is when things really changed for Samsung, also lol at your phone burning you. If this actually happened, did you get it replaced? Full refund? Etc?

Full replacement. Sold it and got a Pixel 1 which I've had for a while now. Glad they seem to have improved since the S7, though.

Ordered a 3 XL. Probably would have stuck with a Pixel 2 if I had one, but since the 1 doesn't have QOL stuff like wireless charging or waterproof etc, it's worth it for me.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I thought they said the call screening was coming to "other pixel phones."

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Super res zoom (using the slight movement of your hand to get data to enhance digital zoom shots)

I want to see detailed reviews and samples of this stuff in action, hopefully won't be too long.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
$800, goddamn.

Maybe next year. Maybe not, if they keep that insane entry cost.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

CLAM DOWN posted:

I want to see detailed reviews and samples of this stuff in action, hopefully won't be too long.

They only showed a small sized picture for Night Sight, I think you're right to be cautious.

CRAYON posted:

Definitely said this about Night Sight

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

bull3964 posted:

P3 exclusive things:

Titan Security Chip
Google Call Screening (making Duplex talk to SPAM calls)

I can't watch the stream, so I'm waiting for one of the tech blogs to do a little write up on the new camera stuff. It's definitely what I care most about. Haven't seen anything yet.

Super zoom sounds too good to be true, but I've been surprised by their AI magic before. I'd love it to work well.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, I need a new phone pretty badly but at these prices for the 3 and no cut in price to the 2 I'm probably gonna wait a week or two to decide what to do.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I think the call screening is just in the app, not the phone. I've installed the google phone apk on an S9 and had the "telemarketer", "scam likely" things pop up when someone calls me.

Unless this is something different and I'm misunderstanding.

edit: oh, it's not that at all.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 9, 2018

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Didn't the P2 quickly start having sales on it by the end of the year because no one was buying it?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

WhyteRyce posted:

Didn't the P2 quickly start having sales on it by the end of the year because no one was buying it?

It didn't even take till the end of the year in Germany.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CRAYON posted:

I guess it is launching later for other Pixel devices.

Daily Forecast posted:

I think the call screening is just in the app, not the phone. I've installed the google phone apk on an S9 and had the "telemarketer", "scam likely" things pop up when someone calls me.

Unless this is something different and I'm misunderstanding.

Completely different. This sends the call to Duplex which actually interacts with the call and you get a live text transcript so you can decide if it's something you would want to talk to or cut it off as a SPAM call.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Welp I just bought a basic Moto G6 to replace my badly aging G5+. Looks like I'm sitting out another year of junk midrange hardware. Sucks to expect basically no updates to the OS, but it's $229 who cares.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

bull3964 posted:

Completely different. This sends the call to Duplex which actually interacts with the call and you get a live text transcript so you can decide if it's something you would want to talk to or cut it off as a SPAM call.

Would be surprised if that doesn't come to all Android Pie phones at some point.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Pixel 3 is a bit of a letdown, but I do wonder what would constitute a "major upgrade" these days, now that phones have been lightning fast and had all the features a human being could possibly need for the past 3 years now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Daily Forecast posted:

Would be surprised if that doesn't come to all Android Pie phones at some point.

Maybe, but it wouldn't be the first time they've kept a server side service exclusive to the Pixel line. WiFi assistant comes to mind.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm also not pre-ordering due to the first hardware run issues with the 2XL, either way should be better this year being Foxconn.

The key things for me in a smartphone are camera, battery, and updates. Based on that, 3XL it is. Idgaf about price, I can afford it and any good phone in Canada is $1000+ anyways.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

smoobles posted:

Pixel 3 is a bit of a letdown, but I do wonder what would constitute a "major upgrade" these days

no notch

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Eh, no gamebreaker features in the Pixel 3, especially with the higher cost. I'll stick with my 2, which I only got because trading in my Pixel 1 kept my monthly payment the same.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Hm.

I have a Nexus 6P and a S9 at $569 looks rather tempting, but I get the feeling the Pixel 3 is going to be a sales bomb and quickly have it's price slashed.

Think I'll hold until Black Friday.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

One thing I learned from this is that I should probably be using Google Fi. I already have a shitass plan with Sprint where I have 2gb of data per month so I'm used to being economical and not streaming poo poo off of wifi, that'll cost me like $40 or less on Fi? :hmmyes:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

explosivo posted:

One thing I learned from this is that I should probably be using Google Fi. I already have a shitass plan with Sprint where I have 2gb of data per month so I'm used to being economical and not streaming poo poo off of wifi, that'll cost me like $40 or less on Fi? :hmmyes:

Yes, $40 or less on Fi. And if you go over, you don't have to buy a whole extra gig, you only pay for what you use. And they won't charge you more than $60 for data, even if you use more than 6 gb. And you can make phonecalls from your desktop Gmail page if you want, which I do all day, its nice using my computer headset and having an internet connection for calls than relying on cell.

Fi thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3747918

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

explosivo posted:

Look at other prepaid plans too like from T-Mobile and their resellers. I pay $20/month for enough text, data, and talk that I need. It's liberating to not have a $100 phone bill every month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

explosivo posted:

Don't forget referral credits. I posted my code on two Project Fi subreddits and I've had a $3 phone bill for like the last 3 months