Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Regular Nintendo posted:

I added a toggle to just shut off pull to refresh if that works for you

I think that's a good setting to add, but I wouldn't shut it off myself. Pull for next page and pull to refresh are features I want to use, I just think they're way too sensitive, and I don't think I'm alone in that based on the last couple years worth of posts on the topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Diabolik900 posted:

I think that's a good setting to add, but I wouldn't shut it off myself. Pull for next page and pull to refresh are features I want to use, I just think they're way too sensitive, and I don't think I'm alone in that based on the last couple years worth of posts on the topic.

I feel like it should only take effect if you're at the bottom of the page and not currently scrolling. How hard would that be to detect and implement?

My only problem with pull-for-next-page is when I'm cruising down to the bottom of the page and accidentally swipe up because I either still have scroll momentum going or I'm on autopilot and hit the bottom half a second ago.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I feel like it should only take effect if you're at the bottom of the page and not currently scrolling. How hard would that be to detect and implement?

My only problem with pull-to-refresh is when I'm cruising down to the bottom of the page and accidentally swipe because I either still have scroll momentum going or I'm on autopilot and hit the bottom half a second ago.

That makes sense, but I'm not much of an iOS developer, so I honestly don't know how hard it would be. I'm a front-end web developer who can figure out just enough of what's going on in the app's codebase to occasionally contribute some more straightforward changes.

In my admittedly limited and unscientific testing, just increasing how far you have to scroll past the bottom seems to have made it way harder to accidentally trigger it while scrolling. I'd still like to see how other people feel after they try it, but to me it feels like this simpler approach might solve the problem.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Is anyone else seeing an issue where special characters aren’t displaying properly?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah symbols are hosed on my end as well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Trevor Hale posted:

Is anyone else seeing an issue where special characters aren�t displaying properly?

Yeah I've been seeing this in various threads.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Trevor Hale posted:

Is anyone else seeing an issue where special characters aren�t displaying properly?

I've seen a thread where it's both ways:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3502478&pagenumber=932#post488728456
That and the next post.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Some people are using ' as a quotation mark. Others are using ’ (& rsquo ;)as a quotation mark.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Did something get flipped/stop working in the latest version of Awful, I wonder? When iOS 11 came out and used smart quotes by default system-wide, we put in some sort of change to go back to dumb quotes in Awful, but I'm wondering if that isn't working/regressed...

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

People are also talking about it in the Awful for Android thread and the QCS Technical thread, so I don't think it's an issue with the app.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I see it on desktop too.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It happens in ios safari too when using the ios keyboard but not when using SwiftKey. Like I'm using now.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Testing ' '
Testing ‘ ‘

Yea it happens when I use the iOS keyboard but I use Google keyboard exclusively so I guess that's why I'm fine.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Brain Curry posted:

Haven�t crashed since the latest beta. I also upgraded to ios 12 overnight, so I can�t say for sure it�s the beta, but it�s way more stable.

Pretty sure it’s a forum problem considering that this old post (for example) has the problem.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Happening for me on iOS 10 (yeah I'm lazy), so it's not iOS 12. E: Whoops saw the happening on desktop too post. This probably isn't an Awful app bug then.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

�Please fix my giant mess of barely-functional code for free�

Started to notice garbage quotes like the above, starting today.

Edit :

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Happening for me on iOS 10 (yeah I'm lazy), so it's not iOS 12. E: Whoops saw the happening on desktop too post. This probably isn't an Awful app bug then.

Guess Lowtax hosed around with the page encoding again.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I really need to get around to commissioning someone to make an animated gif of :objection: except Phoenix is saying "mojibake!"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Could the app be modified to send HTML-encoded aliases for unicode characters?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not usefully, since the site doesn’t accept HTML.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

anthonypants posted:

Could the app be modified to send HTML-encoded aliases for unicode characters?

That’s what it does now :) learned that the hard way.

Something changed on the website, and it’s probably going to be fixed on the website, so I’m happy to just let it ride for a bit. Even if we worked around it in the app, it’d still be broken for website users and it’d be re-broken when the website got fixed.

Irrelevant fun fact: last I checked, the Forums sends a content-type header that indicates iso-8859-1 but the contents are actually windows-1252. Those two character sets are almost but not quite compatible with one another. So many sites gently caress(ed) that up that the html standard says "if a website claims to be iso-8859-1, don’t believe it and just parse it as windows-1252 instead".

Also JSON is not a subset of JavaScript.

Ok that’s enough things I learned by loving then up working on Awful. Let’s just say I sympathize with whoever’s trying to straighten out this mess.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

That�s what it does now :) learned that the hard way.

Wait, what? The site accepts raw HTML and doesn’t encode it itself?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I am currently dealing with Windows-1252 is not UTF-8 at work so I feel this pain.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pokeyman posted:

That’s what it does now :) learned that the hard way.
When I go to the desktop site and type in & rsquo ; I get the ’ character, so I assume the app isn't doing that

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Wait, what? The site accepts raw HTML and doesn�t encode it itself?

The newreply endpoint expects win1252 so anything outside of that gets turned into a numeric entity per the html spec.

anthonypants posted:

When I go to the desktop site and type in & rsquo ; I get the ’ character, so I assume the app isn't doing that

I hadn’t thought about mitigating it by sending a named entity when possible, that’s a cool idea! You’re right of course, Awful turns them into numeric entities. I’m guessing numeric entities get processed somewhere server-side (maybe turned into utf-8 before getting stored in the db?), whereas named entities aren’t processed so they're making the round trip unscathed.

As cool as that workaround is, I don’t think it’s worth doing in this case. Hopefully it gets fixed soon server-side.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Encoding is a pain in the dick because most align with ASCII 0-127. Once the high bit is set, haha lol gently caress you excel export to CSV.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Does the smilie window start showing extra smilies for anyone else

Makes it kinda laggy and you gotta scroll extra to find the smilie you want
:shuckyes:

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

pokeyman posted:

I was reading some old thread where people were doing the "this user sucks" "add them to your ignore list then" "but that doesn't work when you idiots keep quoting them" dance, and despite it being the billionth time I've seen that in a thread, it finally occurred to me that Awful could solve that problem. So I wrote up a lil description of how ignoring quotes might work, in case anyone's curious and/or feeling industrious.

Please call this the 'fishmech filter' when implemented.

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One

got any sevens posted:

Does the smilie window start showing extra smilies for anyone else

Makes it kinda laggy and you gotta scroll extra to find the smilie you want
:shuckyes:

If you’re talking about duplication of smilies then I’m like 90% sure that it’s a known issue that is being looked into.

:fireman:

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One
A’l’s’o’ t’h’i’s’ f’o’r’u’m’ i’s’s’u’e’ i’s’ a’m’a’z’i’i’n’g’

:iia:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

The newreply endpoint expects win1252 so anything outside of that gets turned into a numeric entity per the html spec.

Oh of course, it’s form-encoded, not HTML. Duh.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Twitter discontinued a bunch of its APIs a few months ago.

Also Pokeyman thanks for picking up on the new grey bar issue. I reinstalled this morning on the off chance that might fix it and it was fine right up until I selected a new app icon, at which point it froze. When I force quit and restarted, the grey bar was there.

I'm on a new install again and it hasn't come back yet.

Just an update to help Pokeyman track the issue - the grey bar hasn't come back since I reinstalled without changing the icon.

Come to think of it, the bottom grey bar I was getting in my old 8 was on an app with a changed icon too. The issues might be linked?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Feature request: how about not showing the unread indicator if it’s 0?

Way easier to tell if I’m caught up if there’s simply nothing there as opposed to a digit that might be a 6 or a 3 or something if I’m glancing or scrolling.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Feature request: how about not showing the unread indicator if it’s 0?

Way easier to tell if I’m caught up if there’s simply nothing there as opposed to a digit that might be a 6 or a 3 or something if I’m glancing or scrolling.

While I agree with you I feel the orange numbers vs. the grey numbers stand out pretty well.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Do they? I never noticed they were different colors until you pointed it out just now.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well what view are we talking about? The 0 serves as a “I read this” indicator on the forums tab. New posts show in a light blue number which I agree could blend in with white. However there’s a difference there between 0 and no 0.

Now on bookmarks you’ll always have a number, and maybe that’s stupid, but it’s because you’ve usually read everything you’ve bookmarked. Unread counts are in orange, but now that I’m typing it out is that a setting you need to set on the desktop site?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm talking about the bookmarks view.

Desktop site, the indicators for "there are unread posts" and "there are no unread posts" are extremely different in shape yet still give you a control for marking unread, etc.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The 0 often reminds me I've looked at a thread and not bookmarked it. It does surface information to the user

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I generally use the bookmarks view exclusively.

So there are two main use cases here, and an indicator should ideally work well for both. How about if the 0 were just in a light gray instead of black? I realize I'm apparently doubly an outlier here (1. bookmarks-only viewer and 2. colorblind), but graying-out of features has always suited my personal tastes well.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh I think you’re totally justified and I actually spend a lot of my day job now making sure components follow good accessibility guidelines.

I also didn’t even have the foresight to think you were in the light theme because I’m exclusively dark. There’s no good reason it can’t be like #767676 which I think is the lightest you can go and still be AA compliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The awful app is the solitary app that I know that lets you change the icon

And I loving love it and wish more apps did this