Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This was somebody's Introductory Wizardry 201 project, and what's behind the lock are just some current periodicals.

Of an age before when the world was rich in magic, untouched for millennia.

Careful reading will give a very light treatment of several cities which are forgotten tombs of wonders in the modern age, potentially including one modern city which has forgotten it is a forgotten tomb of wonders.

If you want something to fight, all the old advertising cantrips haven't had a buyer in eons, are almost certainly mad, and probably don't speak a modern language, so prepare to get scalded by body wash glamers, poisoned by rotten cologne, and receive free sample sandwiches from a portal which now connects to the heart of a glacier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Or they speak Common perfectly well, but they haven't had an advertising subject in thousands of years and now that some have finally arrived they aren't willing to let them go and leave them on their own again with nobody to tell about the refreshing taste of SplendorMax spiced fruit punch.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
A rival cleric cursed to be a cat. They've been trapped in that room for centuries.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Have they run into any dwarves yet? Because a library filled with earth/mountain symbology certainly sounds like the dwarven equivalent to one of those end of the world seed banks. Especially when you consider that in earth style worlds an archipelago is just a big mountain not entirely covered up by water. So what do dwarves consider valuable enough to store at the top of the highest peak in preparation for armageddon? Plump helmet seeds and masterwork artifacts? A map of their entire underground kingdom, complete with all of their greatest secrets? A Magic pool of pure life with awakened attendants to help cure survivors?

Also why did they make a lock that requires a diverse set of elemental affinities? Was the apocalypse in spite of some grand coalition?

Did this whole mountain get planeshifted over from someplace else and only the library is now obvious? Is there a big old civilization of dwarves drowned under the mountain? Or even... undrowned!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Inkspot posted:

A rival cleric cursed to be a cat. They've been trapped in that room for centuries.

Azhais fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 9, 2018

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

In the 5E game I'm running, I decided to shamelessly steal the idea a DM used in either this thread or the 5E one: trick the party with a night hag-induced collective nightmare. However, instead of a big melee in a dark town like the original poster described, I'm going for more of a haunted mansion vibe. Instead of monsters, they are going to be bombarded with supernatural traps (playing with the idea that they can't detect them, yet, but if they ever physically enter its demiplane, they will get the device for detection). Its intended to be incredibly Illbleed. The place is even named as an anagram for Illbleed. What I'm looking for is suggestions both in how I can add to the atmosphere of it and suggestions for specific traps. Does the idea I'm playing with work in this secretly stakeless scenario? I wouldn't normally just hit them with things they couldn't have taken measures against but I'm new enough still that they wouldn't know to question it.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Alright, I also have a GM-type world building question.

One player is a wizard that's "coded" Irish, for lack of a better word. His name is R.E. O'Speedwagon (pronounced Ari for short). I need similar Irish sounding musician/ band name puns for when we get back to his homeland. I have old man McJagger as one crafted already, but I need help with continuing this stupid dumb joke. Help me, goons!

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Chieves posted:

One player is a wizard that's "coded" Irish, for lack of a better word. His name is R.E. O'Speedwagon (pronounced Ari for short). I need similar Irish sounding musician/ band name puns for when we get back to his homeland. I have old man McJagger as one crafted already, but I need help with continuing this stupid dumb joke. Help me, goons!

If you just keep looking at character names for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure you should absolutely find a few.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Someone should be dropkicked by a man who then introduces himself as Murphy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Keeshhound posted:

Someone should be dropkicked by a man who then introduces himself as Murphy.

Well poo poo, none of us are going to beat this idea.

Have a bar staffed by a chained zombie who's been trained to offer people cranberry drinks.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Send them on a quest to find a man on a silver mountain

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Chieves posted:

Upscale food vendor selling meat made from poor children to anyone who seems wealthy enough to afford such treats.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost
Milligan, an antipaladin whose signature armour is covered in spikes.

He fell for a number of reasons, but primarily because he referred to the Prince as a "grovelling bastard".

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

A skeleton themed Necromancer named Bone-o.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Have a couple of guys named Charlie and Craig show up and loudly proclaim that they have walked 500 miles, and then walked 500 more. Yeah, yeah, I know it's Scottish not Irish, but still.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

cptn_dr posted:

He's always drunk and sees double, when he talks to people he addresses them as a pair. Also, he repeats himself, like there's an echo.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

cptn_dr posted:

:yeshaha:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
An NPC named Shane who's the greatest poet in the world but you'll never know because he's also the ugliest, drunkest person with the worst teeth you've ever seen and absolutely unintelligible when he speaks.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
A bald headed woman bard from the wizard's past who tears a photo of the wizard in half in front of the group after a she performs in a tavern they are in.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Thanks for the advice guys. I spoke with the player who kept rolling ones and she is totally cool with it still happening. We had a frank discussion where I explained that I didn't want her, or the party, to feel like they were being punished for rolling badly. She assured me that they all thought it was great fun and if things went perfectly all the time it would be boring.

I also encouraged her to get involved with describing what happens on a failure rather than me, and she said she was going to think about it.

All of my players are very new to roleplaying, and I was planning on encouraging them to add more description of what was happening in the next session, so that should help.

Finally, to address the comments about excessive rolling - I actually only made her roll one stealth check against the distracted thugs passive perception, I just added the 'kept rolling well' part to my story because I didn't want to be called out for doing it that way! I should have just left it.

For clarity there were two rolls. One for stealth at the start of the encounter when she said she wanted to hide when they first noticed the thugs, and one for trying to disarm them from behind.

Cheers!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sounds like you are all good :)

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Finally wrote up the monster cooking/eating rules. Thoughts?

quote:

Monsters must be consumed within 3 days of killing, or the meat will go bad. Monster meat must be cooked over a short or long rest.

Sizes:

TINY: Feeds 1
SMALL: Feeds 5
MEDIUM: Feeds 15
LARGE: Feeds 25
HUGE: Feeds 40
GARGANTUAN: Feeds 100

Types:

ABBERATIONS: Eating abberations is extremely inadvisible. Make a DC 15 Wis save. On a success, you gain 60ft. telepathy for the next 24 hours, and +1 HP for every hit die used during a short rest. On a failure, take 2d6 psychic damage and gain a random form of long-term madness, as described on page 260 of the DMG.

BEASTS: A nice, normal meal. +1 HP for every hit die used during a short rest.

CELESTIALS: Nearly impossible and extremely not recommended. What's wrong with you? Gain +3 HP for every hit die used during a short rest. You gain a number of temporary HP equal to your level, and your alignment changes to evil if it wasn't there already. Celestials will recognize you as an enemy on sight, forever.

CONSTRUCTS: Inedible, unless you can eat rock or metal or whatever the construct happens to be made out of.

DRAGONS: Dragons are the ultimate meat for any monster chef. If the dragon is a true dragon, regain all HP, and gain a one-use breath weapon equivalent to the dragonborn breath weapon of the same color. Otherwise, gain +3 HP for every hit die used during a short rest.

ELEMENTALS: Inedible. You can drink a dead water elemental, but it won't confer any bonuses.

FEY: Fey eat people all the time, it's fine. Don't worry about it. +2 HP for every hit die used during a short rest, and you gain one casting of misty step, which must be used within the next 24 hours.

FIENDS: Both insane and nearly impossible, as most fiends dissolve into foul ichor when slain outside of their native plane. If you somehow manage to do it, gain +2 HP for every hit die used during a short rest. You also gain one casting of Hellish Rebuke as a 2nd level spell, which must be used within the next 24 hours.

GIANTS: Most giants are at least somewhat intelligent, but Ogre meat is too good for you to question if this is cannibalism. +2 HP for every hit die used during a short rest, and you gain one casting of Enlarge/Reduce, which must be used within the next 24 hours. You can only use this spell to cast Enlarge, and can only target yourself.

HUMANOIDS: This definitely counts as cannibalism, so you must succeed on a DC 10 Cha save or vomit up the meat. +2 HP for every hit die used during a short rest, if you pass.

MONSTROSITIES: Monsters! You know them, you love them. +2 HP for every hit die used during a short rest.

OOZES: Inedible. They are almost always highly corrosive and will probably kill you if you attempt to eat one.

PLANTS: An extremely normal meal. +1 HP for every hit die used during a short rest.

UNDEAD: Gross. Inedible, unless killed very recently (and also corporeal). In this case, use the rules for whatever it was in life, and take 2d12 necrotic damage.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah!

Also I am 100% about monster eating rules. I like the small flavorful bonuses.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Ysengrin posted:

flavorful bonuses.

:hmmyes:

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

I am starting a pathfinder game after not playing for several years. I have been a GM before and would like to get better. I think I might use tabletopaudio to create ambience and I am looking at several different sound board apps. I also want to use campaign coins and I found some good printer paper that looks like parchment to print out clues, etc. Are there any other good accessories or resources I could be using aside from those in the OP?

Also, I have a real enthusiastic player who has created a detailed back story. I would like to give some small reward to encourage the effort and inspire the other players. What would be appropriate at first level? I was thinking a small +2 skill bonus? Or maybe a chance to re roll a die once per session?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fishmonger named Molly Malone?

Town drunk named Johnny Jump-Up, though that’s kinda bigoted actually.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Collective nightmares a fun roleplay idea, though mine was more taking ideas from Lovecraft's Dreamlands, plus some Fey who are quite at home in them.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Imagined posted:

An NPC named Shane who's the greatest poet in the world but you'll never know because he's also the ugliest, drunkest person with the worst teeth you've ever seen and absolutely unintelligible when he speaks.

However, when he duets with a tavern wench named Molly they somehow produce an incredible, wistful, heartfelt song. They do this only on the campaign world's equivalent of Christmas.

("Fairytale of New York" is the best Xmas song don't @ me)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Fishmonger named Molly Malone?
That's just plain Irish folklore. Like introducing the famous hero NPC Cuchulainn. I think what you want is a dominatrix named Molly Malone so the players can work out the pun.

Similarly, rather than "this NPC is Shane MacGowan", there's the infamous drunkard poet Pogue Mahone, who's also the local head cleric of an appropriate deity, and surprisingly good at it. Why, one day he could be Pope.

And speaking of clerics... you know what just look at the username. Those GP were just resting in the account. These cows had Reduce Animal cast on them, but the ones over there are far away. You get the idea. Spider baby, except it's real and a drider.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 10, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Drider baby adopted by adventures sounds like a great PC idea.

Lolth is definitely that crazy.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost

space pope posted:

Also, I have a real enthusiastic player who has created a detailed back story. I would like to give some small reward to encourage the effort and inspire the other players. What would be appropriate at first level? I was thinking a small +2 skill bonus? Or maybe a chance to re roll a die once per session?

I find the best way to reward players for creating an cool backstory is to say "Wow, that's an amazingly detailed and cool backstory that you created! Hey, everybody, get a load of this amazingly detailed and cool backstory!" and then have bits of the backstory show up in the game.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Whybird posted:

I find the best way to reward players for creating an cool backstory is to say "Wow, that's an amazingly detailed and cool backstory that you created! Hey, everybody, get a load of this amazingly detailed and cool backstory!" and then have bits of the backstory show up in the game.

I was definitely going to do that too!

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost

space pope posted:

I was definitely going to do that too!

I guess my point is, attaching a numerical benefit to an OC action kinda devalues it. It'd be like if a friend invited you over and cooked a delicious meal for you -- you could show your appreciation by saying how good it was, or offering to cook him dinner in return, but it'd be kinda weird if you pulled your wallet out and gave him twenty bucks.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Being involved in all the plot hooks and getting to drive the story is as much, if not in fact more, of a reward as a +2 in terms of getting everyone else to notice it and think, you know, maybe I should expand my backstory a bit.

Obviously don't completely neglect everyone who hasn't made a super deep backstory. Maybe that player gets some extra sidequests or something. Or to be more precise: the party gets some extra sidequests that are hooked on that player's backstory details, but the rewards are for everyone.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

space pope posted:

I am starting a pathfinder game after not playing for several years. I have been a GM before and would like to get better. I think I might use tabletopaudio to create ambience and I am looking at several different sound board apps. I also want to use campaign coins and I found some good printer paper that looks like parchment to print out clues, etc. Are there any other good accessories or resources I could be using aside from those in the OP?

This and some of the responses have gotten me thinking: does anyone else here use inspiration points? They're just free re-rolls, no strings attached. I'm in a group that's been doing a house rule of 1 per session, plus whatever extra ones you may get over time for doing neat things or just contributing something really fun. Even if it's just "you made us all laugh with a great in-character response, here's a point."

I've been using it with a group I'm DMing for, A) to partially combat nights of sheer bad luck and terrible rolls, and B) to reward players for getting more in-character naturally and being more creative. Like some players that are maybe more used to video games may not be as used to describing how they attack, or getting invested in naming things or talking to NPCs. One of my players recently decided to name her drone (we're playing StarFinder for a bit) and came up with a list of names I genuinely really enjoyed, so I gave her an inspiration point.

Does this seem maybe too liberal with free re-rolls? I've been trying it as a means of encouraging creative detail, and in space pope's case I would have probably given that player an inspiration point for coming out of the gate with the extra effort, but at the same time I wouldn't wanna penalize someone for not going out of their way to do that if, perhaps, they specifically wanted to have a character organically develop or something.

What do you all think?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
OK, so I introduced some hints of a thing that I only meant to foreshadow something to come much later in the campaign. My players were heading back to town and are generally cautious, I didn't expect them to go, "Ooh what's that??!" and immediately drop everything they were doing to investigate the foreshadowing right that second. They're not really ready for it, even!

This isn't what happened, but imagine I have a party of level 3-4 players, and for foreshadowing and flavor I describe how a huge dragon sweeps across the sky above them while they're traveling somewhere else, and they watch as it heads miles to the east toward a mountain peak. Imagine my players then dropped everything and went trying to find that dragon right that second.

So what do now? Do I reconfigure everything I was planning massively, or do I railroad them back on track?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Is going and checking out a place with a dragon really going to derail your plans massively? If so, I might call that over-planning unless you have a tight timetable that's already in motion or something.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lol you got squirrelled.

You roll with it, and work the rest of the stuff in as best you can, it's a dragon hunt now.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Roll with it and don't pull punches. They're on a dragon hunt now but they're also level 3-4 characters on a dragon hunt and thats an undertaking that should quickly get them in over their heads.

Ghost Stromboli posted:

This and some of the responses have gotten me thinking: does anyone else here use inspiration points? They're just free re-rolls, no strings attached. I'm in a group that's been doing a house rule of 1 per session, plus whatever extra ones you may get over time for doing neat things or just contributing something really fun. Even if it's just "you made us all laugh with a great in-character response, here's a point."

I've been using it with a group I'm DMing for, A) to partially combat nights of sheer bad luck and terrible rolls, and B) to reward players for getting more in-character naturally and being more creative. Like some players that are maybe more used to video games may not be as used to describing how they attack, or getting invested in naming things or talking to NPCs. One of my players recently decided to name her drone (we're playing StarFinder for a bit) and came up with a list of names I genuinely really enjoyed, so I gave her an inspiration point.

Does this seem maybe too liberal with free re-rolls? I've been trying it as a means of encouraging creative detail, and in space pope's case I would have probably given that player an inspiration point for coming out of the gate with the extra effort, but at the same time I wouldn't wanna penalize someone for not going out of their way to do that if, perhaps, they specifically wanted to have a character organically develop or something.

What do you all think?

I feel like only you can answer that. Are the free re-rolls removing the tension from rolling for an action? If they are you're being too liberal. If not, you're fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Imagined posted:

So what do now? Do I reconfigure everything I was planning massively, or do I railroad them back on track?

No, you do the opposite: take everything you HAD planned to go elsewhere, and move it into their path.