Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

Oh yeah! Pizza Hut used to be an actual restaurant, and at some point they had bars if you've ever paid attention when watching The Bad News Bears (1976). I don't think we really ate at them past 1993 or so.

I think what happened is during the 80's pizzas had a big push for home delivery, I remember into the 90's there were lots of commercials about how if you didn't get your pizza in a certain time frame it was free. As the 90's rolled on, pizzas became mechanized and Pizza Hut turned away from being an actual restaurant, and became a pizza manufactorum.

This may be nostalgia talking, but I remember the pizza being quite a bit better when it was mainly a sit-down restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, my dad loved Pizza Hut and Swiss Chalet, if he was given a chance to choose he'd choose those. They're not terrible and you know what you're getting. PLus not terribly expensive, which to a dad is a big plus. I remember him wanting to go to Pizza Hut one last time before I moved out and into another province so he took us to the one we normally went. He was very surprised it was basically just a take out place with a couple of basic tables.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Randaconda posted:

This may be nostalgia talking, but I remember the pizza being quite a bit better when it was mainly a sit-down restaurant.

Oh yeah, 80s and 90s pizza hut was mad good. It just started going up in price and down in quality after the millenium turned. Its complete trash now.

The actual sit down restaurants still exist in a few places but the quality is gone and I don't think they've been cleaned properly since 1997. Any new pizza hut is take out of delivery only.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I realized I haven't even seen a Pizza Hut in decades. Turns out there's like 2 in my city and they don't even deliver. They only do carryout. Domino's are everywhere though.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I once lived in an apartment directly above a take-out/delivery only Pizza Hut. That 'freshly-baked bread' smell starting around the same time every day was nice but man the cravings drove me crazy.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oh yeah, 80s and 90s pizza hut was mad good. It just started going up in price and down in quality after the millenium turned. Its complete trash now.

Yeah I think they skimp on the cheese nowadays. You can still usually find a deal for a $10 large if you order on the website though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Who supplied the classic "pizza restaurant" cups? The frosted red plastic glasses, possibly with the restaurant's logo on them? I last saw them in a mall pizza place in Naples.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Pizza Hut bums me out because it is the only place I have tried in recent years which actually sent me pizza that I thought was bad. I have a relatively low bar for pizza, most chains are at least edible, but Pizza Hut has failed me on multiple occasions lately. As I said, it bums me out because I have those same memories of it being what it used to be. Little Ceasers has better pizza than they do now.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The actual sit down restaurants still exist in a few places but the quality is gone and I don't think they've been cleaned properly since 1997. Any new pizza hut is take out of delivery only.

Pretty sure it was trash then. We were just kids and kids fuckin love pizza.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

chitoryu12 posted:

Who supplied the classic "pizza restaurant" cups? The frosted red plastic glasses, possibly with the restaurant's logo on them? I last saw them in a mall pizza place in Naples.

Considering they're red, it's probably Coke. Pepsi usually supplies blue cups. Clear cups are a tossup.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Croatoan posted:

Nah, cheaper ingredients started filtering in heavily during the 90s

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Croatoan posted:

remusclaw posted:

Pizza Hut bums me out because it is the only place I have tried in recent years which actually sent me pizza that I thought was bad. I have a relatively low bar for pizza, most chains are at least edible, but Pizza Hut has failed me on multiple occasions lately. As I said, it bums me out because I have those same memories of it being what it used to be. Little Ceasers has better pizza than they do now.

While I'll admit that my bar for pizza has never been high I have to go with remusclaw here. The first time I can remember a Pizza Hut pizza being bad was pretty recently. Like, last year I think. There's one not far from me I got carryout from semi-regularly. It was more than I'd normally pay for a pizza but it was generally good and close so like whatever. Then the good deals went away, things to more expensive, then I ordered one anyway and it was horrible.

Little Caesar's has never been good pizza but it's always been cheap and consistently mediocre so gently caress yeah.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Little Caesar's has never been good pizza but it's always been cheap and consistently mediocre so gently caress yeah.
LCs slices had nice gooey cheese. Their whole pizzas were the kind that were good when they were room temp, too. Not really aromatic the way that a good Pan Supreme pizza hut pizza was though.

Actually, I can't recall the last time takeout pizza had nice runny cheese. Guess it's all processed mozarella-like compound now or whatever.

My pizza rankings growing up were:
The Hut
LITTLE C'S
Roundtable / CostCo
Chuck e Cheese'
Dominoes

But I lived block away from a Hut growing up, so bias and all.
Anyone remember in the 90s when The Hut went from thin sliced half-dollar pepperoni to thick sliced quarter/nickel sized poo poo? Or when it was spicy in the late 80s?
R.i.P. thin wiggly breadsticks from the salad bar. Those rocked.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Little Caesers best thing is crazy bread. We were once playing games and my friend order 30 orders of it. He said the person taking the order was "uh do you want a pizza?".

I have literally never eaten Pizza from LC.

EDIT: Went looking, you can get this style from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Restaurant-Beverage-Stackable-Break-Resistant-Commmerical/dp/B007G6CEVE

I am tempted to get some actually, just for nostalgia shake, but the wavey ones I can only find on pinintrest. BTW I hate that site, because google seems to search it before anything else.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 06:31 on Oct 9, 2018

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I have a Pizza Hut sit down restaurant about 2 minutes away from me. I never really thought about how rare that is now adays...they even still do the buffet special for lunch and have a salad bar! The best part about this Hut was that back in the day in the adjacent shopping center there was a Pizza Hut delivery only shop front. Like, literally it woulda took an average human who hadn't just eatten the grease bucket of a pizza they sell like 10 seconds to walk from the sit down to the delivery location.

Even back then I thought how redundant that was. Eventually they closed the delivery only store and just hired greasy teens to deliver their equally greasy pizza. God drat, that pizza is yummy. :goonsay:

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Pizza Hut was my (admittedly working class) family’s restaurant of
choice in the early ‘90s. Like, I specifically remember that when we’d visit my grandmother an hour away, that was what we were going there to do: dine at the Hut and then retire to the tiny apartment in the Rectory so grandma and dad could argue religion while I chilled on her bed, tried not to listen, and drew super-heroes on printer paper.

OK oops. My point is that is was a place that a group would actually go eat at on purpose. My mother loved the salad bar. The pizza was actually good. Man, was the butter garlic sauce addictive. There was a jukebox! And Book it! was there for me when I was a poor kid that also liked to read.

Completely different experience now, even at the one nearby where you can still sit down. The pizza kind of makes me sick these days. And they stopped offering butter garlic sauce for awhile which is like YOU IDIOT FUCKS because at this point when I have to eat Pizza Hut the breadsticks are basically all I’m going to go for.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I actually usually get pizza hut delivery cause it's the fastest/closest to my apartment and I feel like it's fine? Like it's just generic chain delivery pizza but definitely better than little Cesar's the last time I had that (whenever someone else bought it like 8 years ago). I get thin crust usually but sometimes I get the regular crust and you can add flavors, which I appreciate as someone who used to never eat pizza crusts and slowly have learned to tolerate them.

Also the breadsticks are tasty and I ate way too many of them when there was a pizza hut in the food court when I was in college.

I never thought I would actually be defending the quality of pizza hut but I am shocked just shocked that people would say it's worse than little Cesar's!!

Anyway I remember little Cesar's played a bunch of those "pizza pizza" commercials in the 90s

Also RIP pizzerias chips by Keebler you were my favorite chip :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dixville posted:

Pizza-flavoured Smiths chips are something I've only seen released twice in my lifetime here in Australia, and by God I'd happily kill someone to get them made a permanent flavour.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Dixville posted:

I never thought I would actually be defending the quality of pizza hut but I am shocked just shocked that people would say it's worse than little Cesar's!!

Ehh, pizza is one of those things that goons get really weirdly snobby about and I find it's always best to ignore those derails when they happen.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
As a New Yorker, I--

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Ehh, pizza is one of those things that goons get really weirdly snobby about and I find it's always best to ignore those derails when they happen.

* Quietly passes over thread like the angel of death *

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

The only moral pizza is my pizza. Other pizza is quadruple Hitler.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Little Caesars has never been good. I remember back in the day their whole gimmick was that you'd get two pizzas for the price of one and they were square lovely pizzas but at least you could give your kids all the pizza they wanted. I guess one day they dropped the whole two pizzas thing and just went for cheap hot n' ready pizzas. Now that I have kids I too, purchase little caesars especially when they have a sleepover. Teenagers can loving murder some pizza and I can feed 4-5 with $20.

As for Pizza Hut, I distinctly remember realizing that Pizza Hut was trash in the early 00's. Was it worse ingredients than before? I don't know. I just know I was barely on my own and realized I was spending precious money on poo poo pizza because I was broke as gently caress.

Dominos has always been poo poo except for a brief period like 5 or 10 years ago when they had a whole ad campaign that admitted their pizza sucked and they were gonna make it better. It worked but their pizza is back to being poo poo again.

Only reliably good major-chain pizza I know of is Marco's but they're kinda expensive. Get what you pay for I guess.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Croatoan posted:

Little Caesars has never been good. I remember back in the day their whole gimmick was that you'd get two pizzas for the price of one and they were square lovely pizzas but at least you could give your kids all the pizza they wanted. I guess one day they dropped the whole two pizzas thing and just went for cheap hot n' ready pizzas. Now that I have kids I too, purchase little caesars especially when they have a sleepover. Teenagers can loving murder some pizza and I can feed 4-5 with $20.

As for Pizza Hut, I distinctly remember realizing that Pizza Hut was trash in the early 00's. Was it worse ingredients than before? I don't know. I just know I was barely on my own and realized I was spending precious money on poo poo pizza because I was broke as gently caress.

Dominos has always been poo poo except for a brief period like 5 or 10 years ago when they had a whole ad campaign that admitted their pizza sucked and they were gonna make it better. It worked but their pizza is back to being poo poo again.

Only reliably good major-chain pizza I know of is Marco's but they're kinda expensive. Get what you pay for I guess.

Marco's Pizza? The one attached to video rental store Family Video? Dude you might just have broken taste buds because their pizza is trash.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Len posted:

Marco's Pizza? The one attached to video rental store Family Video? Dude you might just have broken taste buds because their pizza is trash.

Weird, it apparently is the same franchise. I don't know man, it's pretty good pizza. Maybe the quality varies in different regions but here in Atlanta it's good (for a major chain). they just started showing up down here in the last 5 years or so.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The only moral pizza is my pizza. Other pizza is quadruple Hitler.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dixville posted:

They were so good. :smithicide:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

those ghastly toppings look like the blobs from Advanced Dungeons & Dragons

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I make pan pizza at home. It satisfies my cravings for Pizza Hut, without having to taint my perceptions of the real Pizza Hut.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Holy moly how much does a pizza like that cost? Unless those are false morels? Because I don’t know well enough to distinguish between the two

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Guy Axlerod posted:

I make pan pizza at home. It satisfies my cravings for Pizza Hut, without having to taint my perceptions of the real Pizza Hut.
How do you get the signature crunchy crispy crust?
All my attempts end in sad Dominos-like poo poo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
All chain pizza is poo poo, the key is whatever is most convenient. At my old apartment it was Little Caesar's if I was on the way home, or Domino's if I was too drunk to drive to LC.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pizza-flavoured Smiths chips are something I've only seen released twice in my lifetime here in Australia, and by God I'd happily kill someone to get them made a permanent flavour.
The Pizza Hut BBQ Meatlover Doritos were lame :(

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

How do you get the signature crunchy crispy crust?
All my attempts end in sad Dominos-like poo poo.

Mostly from oil in the pan. If it comes out of the oven and needs more crisp, you can put it on the stovetop.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

:golfclap:

Seriously would, though.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I miss these

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The New Kids on the Block revival is I'm pretty sure now longer than their original run of popularity. Got a ticket promoter email saying their next tour is with Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, and Naughty by Nature.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I found out recently that Little Cesars is home of the Detroit style pizza. I had no idea Detroit even had a style!

I'll still eat it.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Iron Crowned posted:

Considering they're red, it's probably Coke. Pepsi usually supplies blue cups. Clear cups are a tossup.

Pizza Hut is owned by Yum Brands, formerly Tricon Global, which was a Pepsi owned company until they spun it off in 1997. I believe they still have ties to Yum and only serve Pepsi products.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ElwoodCuse posted:

The New Kids on the Block revival is I'm pretty sure now longer than their original run of popularity. Got a ticket promoter email saying their next tour is with Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, and Naughty by Nature.

The weirdest thing about New Kids is that none of them went broke, crazy, died/committed suicide, or got in serious legal trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uli2000 posted:

Pizza Hut is owned by Yum Brands, formerly Tricon Global, which was a Pepsi owned company until they spun it off in 1997. I believe they still have ties to Yum and only serve Pepsi products.

Same deal with KFC and Taco Bell