Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://imgur.com/Jd6N9oK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/bengrubb/status/1049580900709621760

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

There's no such thing as bad publicity :downs:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Solemn Sloth posted:

He only supports same sex marriage on the off chance those “it will lead to bestiality” claims are right
lol

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Knorth posted:

The Aus at 59 geez...

i dont think that's meant to be a percentage tho, i think it's total readers.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Wonder why AFR was omitted?

I would trust the AFR far more than the Oz

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

No Crikey or New Matilda or The Conversation or The New Daily but Yahoo 7? Lol. Is the poll saying they registered below the Courier Mail.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

hambeet posted:

i dont think that's meant to be a percentage tho, i think it's total readers.

So is it like "what percentage of readers trust what they're reading"?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Solemn Sloth posted:

He only supports same sex marriage on the off chance those “it will lead to bestiality” claims are right

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

As someone who has to read newspaper comments sections daily I can tell you that most people in those bubbles are self funded retiree weirdos who think anything that wasn't made in the 1980s is communism. The disadvantage of comments sections in journalist websites is that the comments section itself is sometimes more important to read than the article itself. What this means is you end up with a community of commenters who use other commenters in order to comment on the article itself which is often distorted from the original tone of the article.

Then you know companies know this because they write articles to feed the commenters so they can meet their unique visits or clicks KPI but no one really reads the full article.

So the Australian's percentage becomes believable when you put a asterisk next to it clarifying that people who read the Australian trust themselves to be correct in the comments section in an article written in order to feed the comments section so a journalist can reach their KPIs.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

A large amount of new subscribers are online only too. I know if you get a News+ digital subscription at the moment they send you a free Fitbit Versa.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Knorth posted:

The Aus at 59 geez...

Their business section is good.

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."
https://twitter.com/danielandrewsmp/status/1049590797404790784?s=21

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Holy poo poo.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Anidav posted:

As someone who has to read newspaper comments sections daily I can tell you that most people in those bubbles are self funded retiree weirdos who think anything that wasn't made in the 1980s is communism. The disadvantage of comments sections in journalist websites is that the comments section itself is sometimes more important to read than the article itself. What this means is you end up with a community of commenters who use other commenters in order to comment on the article itself which is often distorted from the original tone of the article.

Then you know companies know this because they write articles to feed the commenters so they can meet their unique visits or clicks KPI but no one really reads the full article.

So the Australian's percentage becomes believable when you put a asterisk next to it clarifying that people who read the Australian trust themselves to be correct in the comments section in an article written in order to feed the comments section so a journalist can reach their KPIs.

jesus christ

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Best thing Victoria has ever produced.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
https://twitter.com/simonahac/status/1049450246088970240?s=21

Good news: we’re ‘building’ a billion trees, we’re going to hit all climate targets and we’re going to have the mythical clean coal technology by 2050.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Scott "A Billion Trees" Morrison versus Bill "A Billion Solar Panels" Shorten.

What?

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

lol

LOOOOOOOOL

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

https://twitter.com/JennyForster7/status/1049561179679416322

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

DRINK ME posted:

https://twitter.com/simonahac/status/1049450246088970240?s=21

Good news: we’re ‘building’ a billion trees, we’re going to hit all climate targets and we’re going to have the mythical clean coal technology by 2050.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TNF2sZQoV8

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

you painted a vivid picture of an example of how broken media has become and I just had a small moment

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Jonah Galtberg posted:

you painted a vivid picture of an example of how broken media has become and I just had a small moment

:emptyquote:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jonah Galtberg posted:

If this fits please make this the thread title.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

My family is avid Courier Mail readers. My Mother, Grandmother and my late Grandfather all read it, my grandfather would read the whole drat thing but I noticed my Mom and Grandmother would only read the Letters to the Editor. It's the same thing as this but online, people aren't clicking on articles to read them anymore but to find people to agree with in the comments section to confirm their opinions are correct.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Anidav posted:

My family is avid Courier Mail readers. My Mother, Grandmother and my late Grandfather all read it, my grandfather would read the whole drat thing but I noticed my Mom and Grandmother would only read the Letters to the Editor. It's the same thing as this but online, people aren't clicking on articles to read them anymore but to find people to agree with in the comments section to confirm their opinions are correct.

:ortiz:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Anidav posted:

Wouldn't it be more that they are looking for people in the comments section to disagree with, and by winning an argument/swearing match with them confirm that their own opinions are in fact correct and the other commenter is a poopy face.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
lol Phillip ruddocks review recommends schools being able to hang up a no queers sign up out the front and abide by that for both hiring and admissions

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

Disgraced anaesthetist Dr James Peters will challenge his conviction for infecting 55 women with hepatitis C, because he claims the disease has become less harmful since he was charged in 2011.
Peters, 68, who is serving a 14-year sentence at Ararat prison, recently lodged an application in the Court of Appeal that will attempt to overturn 55 counts of negligently causing serious injury, to which he pleaded guilty.
His bid for a retrial is expected to argue the charges were inappropriate because significant improvements in the treatment of hepatitis C over the past five years had reduced the severity and impact of his offending.
Peters, who knew he had hepatitis C, pleaded guilty in the Supreme Court in 2013 to infecting his patients by injecting himself with pre-filled syringes of fentanyl – an opioid used in general anaesthesia – in theatre at Croydon Day Surgery.
He then used the same syringe to administer the remainder of the dose to the women as they underwent pregnancy terminations.

Yeah nah

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Some australians are good.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

drunkill posted:

Some australians are good.

Hooray, someone else had the same idea as I did, but unlike myself had the means to act on it :buddy:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

Wouldn't it be more that they are looking for people in the comments section to disagree with, and by winning an argument/swearing match with them confirm that their own opinions are in fact correct and the other commenter is a poopy face.
Maybe at first but a lot of left wing comments get banned. So there is the same group of people commenting about cutting immigration numbers, unions, penalty rates and my pension!...

Over and over again. So there isn't much disagreement that I read just pensioners sucking eachother off.

And the effect it has on people is interesting. For example my Grandmother and late Grandfather are life long Liberal voters but my Mother - Also a lifelong comments section reader votes Katter 1 and One Nation 2.

If i ask her why she can't give a reason, she just does because it feels like the right thing to do.

Saying Workers of the World, Unite on there will get your comment banned immediately by a bot searching for key words for example.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I was going on a nuclear power bender last night and I read you idiots banned nuclear power despite having 33% of the world's uranium. Why do you dummies hate nuclear but love coal?

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Uhhh neither are good :confused:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Aurubin posted:

I was going on a nuclear power bender last night and I read you idiots banned nuclear power despite having 33% of the world's uranium. Why do you dummies hate nuclear but love coal?

The Simpsons & Coal Miners run the country.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

simmyb posted:

Uhhh neither are good :confused:

I miss the 60's when leftists understood that nuclear power was clean and that fossil fuels were bad. drat hippies conflating nuclear weapon proliferation with nuclear power. Sure let's worry about a few drums of (able to be reused in an MSR fast reactor design) spent fuel as opposed to millions of tons of coal ash. France: 87% clean energy, lowered their emissions further since 2015. Germany: 46%, emissions raised since 2015. Also electricity prices have gone up since then. Which country has a fuckton of nuclear, and which eliminated it in favor of solar in a country where the sun shines like 10 percent of the time?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Australians are way too into symbolism and coal mining is traditional honest work whereas nuclear means bombs and meltdowns and not in my backyard thanks.

Now it’s too late - it would take 10+ years to get the infrastructure for nuclear going, and renewables are already cheaper and are more viable every day, without the same potential drawbacks.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Today Bill Shorten will announce a $14b investment in Public Schools over 10 years.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Aurubin posted:

There is no way this country could reliably manage a nuclear station

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Aurubin posted:

Which country has a fuckton of nuclear, and which eliminated it in favor of solar in a country where the sun shines like 10 percent of the time?

This feels like a weird point to make, for Australia

• Locked thread