Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Arcsquad12 posted:

Closer to home stuff like the conscription crisis is heavily responsible for the cultural divide between English and French Canada.

We talked about this a bit with a previous discussion surrounding the MacDonald memorials. WWI discredited the entire political order in Canada, and specifically the conservative mythology surrounding Canada. The Canadian populace tied the war, more or less theoretically, to empire and capitalism. The British treatment of Canadian soldiers, even the British-born recruits who made up the majority of Canadian volunteers to start, dealt a fatal blow to Canada having an innately Anglo tie the UK, even if that way of Canadian self-imagining took a while to die. The scandal surrounding the Ross Rifles made clear that the reason Canadians were sent to die didn't have poo poo to do with any civilizational struggle (WWI was often built as Canadian Christianity against German paganism), but for the apparent benefit of a network of politicians and industrialists who were making money off it. As McKay notes, the first federal election after the war, 1921, was the first Canadian election after the first that a non Tory/Liberal party won any seats at all; part of the Canadian reaction to WWI was the end of the two-party system. The conservatives actually finished 3rd in 1921, behind Thomas Crerar's Progressive Party. Much of the Canadian welfare state that emerged after WWI was centred around the idea that the government of Canada had fundamentally exploited the actual people who went to war, and therefore owed them civil infrastructure.

Part of this is why the conservatives under Harper were so adamant in defending WWI as not just an acceptable war, but a morally good one. For the past 50-30 years the conservatives have made a push surrounding parts of Canada's military history, especially Vimy, as part of creating a Canadian identity separate from Pearson/Trudeau liberalism (and, arguably, the war- and capital-skepticism that emerged after WWI). Harper pushed this forward with specifically defending WWI as good, and waxing colonial about the "British races." The point of it all is trying to create and entrench what the conservatives see as a sort of pre-fall Canadian identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kraftwerk posted:

I work with a Vietnam vet he was a green beret. I can sense he�s been through some real poo poo.

Is it true that Vietnam vets were the worst treated of all war veterans in recent history?

They were treated horribly when they got home, as they public opinion as well had turned on the whole support of that war. Not to mention the problem many had with PTSD and drug use.

The Gulf wars have also treated their vets like poo poo. Hell, Canada has really dropped the ball on our vets that went to Afghanistan and several peace keeping missions in Bosnia and Somalia etc where many came back very mentally damaged.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

zapplez posted:

The Gulf wars have also treated their vets like poo poo. Hell, Canada has really dropped the ball on our vets that went to Afghanistan and several peace keeping missions in Bosnia and Somalia etc where many came back very mentally damaged.

Rwanda comes to mind too, if just because we all know what horrible thing CI would be posting at this exact moment.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Frenchies my age learned about the atrocities of war because a dog died

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

zapplez posted:

My dad's cousin was a lifer in the army and was deployed on a number of peacekeeping missions from Cyprus to Bosnia. He'd always talk about how frustrating it was that people just assumed peacekeeping missions were this nice, safe thing and not the stressful, dangerous thing they actually could be. People just kind of forget that soldiers die during peacekeeping and for a long time it wasn't really talked about in the news because it was both depressing and not in line with the public perception of peacekeeping missions.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

"La guerre, la guerre, c'est pas une raison pour se faire mal!"

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Vintersorg posted:

That little bit is brutal. I thought the guy in the trench just stayed there until it dawned he was shot in the head and dead immediately. Seeing people crumble like that is very sobering. I remember watching a video of a guy stopping a mugging but he got shot. And he stands back on the steps and he clutches his chest, then just slumps over.

E:

Not to burst the bubble, but if the footage is supposed to be early 1914 when the War was still semi mobile, any trenches that pop up were still primitive holes similar to the one you see in the film. It could still be a recreation post war, but the famous imagery of deep trenches stacked with sandbags, and reinforced with wood doesn't occur until the static trench phase continues on for a while.

Googled search some early war trenches, First battle of ypres

Primitive affairs of just a hole in the ground with no reinforcing and little bits of wire stretched across.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
If people not understanding tax brackets is your trigger also, avert yer eyes

https://twitter.com/TOAdamVaughan/status/1049727237476499456

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Well, that just brought back a long-suppressed memory. As a kid, I was not ready for that ending.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

15% on the first $46,605 of taxable income, +
20.5% on the next $46,603 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over 46,605 up to $93,208), +
26% on the next $51,281 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $93,208 up to $144,489), +
29% on the next $61,353 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over 144,489 up to $205,842), +
33% of taxable income over $205,842.

This really only benefits people in the 26%+ tax bracket, who would probably vote conservative anyways. Hardworking self made people men who work overtime and go beyond their initial tax bracket, well those people wont benefit whatsoever because they know that working overtime is just handing more money over to the government.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

quote:

The far right would not rise without PR, that's the thing. PR too easily steers politics in the direction of societal whims, and no major party would ever associate itself with a fringe element to the point where a considerable portion of their platform would align with far left or far right ideology, and that protects society from extremism.

Let's be honest here. PR is critical to the survival of left-leaning parties as their traditional base fractures. The NDP is desperate for PR. Without it they'll never lead the province (and are only in power today due to a fluke alignment with Weaver). For the foreseeable future the NDP will be at the head of a left-leaning coalition and that' a far better compromise than losing every election from this point forward (they couldn't even win with the hate-on for the Liberals being as strong as it was).

FPTP works. It gets things done. The mess that is European politics is so bad that the continent has an unelected government based in Brussels that reins in the countries and steers the over arching agenda. Remove Brussels and you'd have absolute chaos.

:ironicat:

I'll let Baronjutter source the quote lmao

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Risky Bisquick posted:

This really only benefits people in the 26%+ tax bracket, who would probably vote conservative anyways. Hardworking self made people men who work overtime and go beyond their initial tax bracket, well those people wont benefit whatsoever because they know that working overtime is just handing more money over to the government.

Or everybody is forgetting that the basic exemption is not actually a tax bracket, it's a nonrefundable credit which they're failing to factor in.

Take your pick.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
This is my new favourite Winnipeg City Councillor candidate

https://marcelboille.com/

- Is a real estate agent
- Doesn't want to open Portage and Main, would rather spend the money paving back lanes
- Doesn't want rapid transit, would fix transit as-is somehow????
- Doesn't want growth fees, says they would/have resulted in thousands of job losses????
- Eliminate school zones, but put up flashing lights to tell people there are kids there still
- Eliminate photo radar vans(which are run by non-cops) and tell more cops to drive around more???
- Better roads! :argh:
- Safer neighbourhood! :argh:
- Property Taxes only for property owners use! :argh:
- Give control of ambulances to the province
- Make water and sewer a separate entity somehow????
- Make Schools and Community Centres 24/7 places open to everyone I guess
- Get rid of home improvement permit regulations, RED TAPE :argh:
- The above will help homelessness and so will cutting all the money the city spends on shelters because we will ask the province to spend more money than us on it
- SYNC TRAFFIC LIGHTS OBVIOUSLY
- Freeze hiring, overtime and property taxes! :argh:
- Eliminate civic business tax :argh:

On the news he said he opposes any new condo or apartment complexes and wants the city to stop breaking up existing "big lot houses" and zone more "big lot houses"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hi I've been probated for a week so here is your UPDATE ON CANADIAN TRANS NEWS i SAW ON THE CBBC

Good News: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conversion-therapy-ban-petition-1.4850125 A petition to ban conversion therapy federally has been officially accepted into the House of Commons. I really hope the Liberals do something about it, conversion therapy is the kind of good feels soft social stuff that's exactly Justin's bailiwick.

Bad News: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/chp-city-1.4852652 The Christian Heritage Party successfully won a lawsuit against the City of Hamilton over the city removing the party's transphobic ads from their bus stops. Apparently you can say hateful things about Charter-protected groups as long as it's political speech! Really hope this one gets reversed on appeal or there's gonna be a lot of lovely racist Nazi ads in Ontario too.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

leftist heap posted:

:ironicat:

I'll let Baronjutter source the quote lmao
the BC Liberal Party has been heavily advertising about this on Facebook and they have changed their profile picture and cover photo to a yellow theme because they are afraid to show their party colours and have them associated with the anti-PR campaign

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I'd like to try a new way of counting votes. Too bad the referendum will fail like it always does. Dippers and Greens could have just made it so, the fools

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

THC posted:

the BC Liberal Party has been heavily advertising about this on Facebook and they have changed their profile picture and cover photo to a yellow theme because they are afraid to show their party colours and have them associated with the anti-PR campaign

They are fuckin' terrified lol.

What a bunch of loving snakes. Not a shred of decency in the whole party.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Arivia posted:

Hi I've been probated for a week so here is your UPDATE ON CANADIAN TRANS NEWS i SAW ON THE CBBC

Good News: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conversion-therapy-ban-petition-1.4850125 A petition to ban conversion therapy federally has been officially accepted into the House of Commons. I really hope the Liberals do something about it, conversion therapy is the kind of good feels soft social stuff that's exactly Justin's bailiwick.

Only problem I have with conversion therapy is they need to define it well. If counseling someone for or against a gender identity is illegal, that isn't a good idea as it just leaves people in the wind as they try to figure out who they are with doctors not being able to give any medical advice.

Like how I found out that transitioning isn't the easiest thing in the world and there are legitimate reasons why someone doesn't surgically/medically transition. (loving with hormones and surgery and stuff is risky as medical interventions can be). If it becomes a criminal offense to "convert" someone, defined as talking with someone about for or against transitioning that is horribly stupid which is what some of the loudest (and probably stupidest voices) advocate for by letting kids make the decision with no doctors advising at all.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

If people not understanding tax brackets is your trigger also, avert yer eyes

https://twitter.com/TOAdamVaughan/status/1049727237476499456

gently caress, just got deleted and I just closed the tab before coming to post here that a loving MP doesn't understand progressive tax brackets.

:negative:

For anyone who missed it, he was saying how "anyone making 99 750$ would get a tax cut, and anyone above 100 000$ would need a massive raise to break even".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know I actually really hope Bernier's party gains traction and does significant damage to gently caress over the conservative party. It would be *fun* watching a war between the two

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

You know I actually really hope Bernier's party gains traction and does significant damage to gently caress over the conservative party. It would be *fun* watching a war between the two

Be careful what you wish for. A Conservative minority with a Bernier led official opposition could happen.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jan posted:

gently caress, just got deleted and I just closed the tab before coming to post here that a loving MP doesn't understand progressive tax brackets.

:negative:

For anyone who missed it, he was saying how "anyone making 99 750$ would get a tax cut, and anyone above 100 000$ would need a massive raise to break even".

It's pretty boggling

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Furnaceface posted:

Be careful what you wish for. A Conservative minority with a Bernier led official opposition could happen.

If it means Mayor Premier wannabe Prime Minister Ford spends all his time attacking Bernier then so be it. I want to see conservatives and whatever crazies Bernier cobbles together go at each others' throats.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 10, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Furnaceface posted:

So could a Reform/PC situation have happened, but it was extremely unlikely and it did not, in fact, happen. The odds of such a thing happening in a FPTP system are slim.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

DariusLikewise posted:

- Is a real estate agent
- Doesn't want to open Portage and Main, would rather spend the money paving back lanes
- Doesn't want rapid transit, would fix transit as-is somehow????
- Doesn't want growth fees, says they would/have resulted in thousands of job losses????
- Eliminate school zones, but put up flashing lights to tell people there are kids there still
- Eliminate photo radar vans(which are run by non-cops) and tell more cops to drive around more???
- Better roads! :argh:
- Safer neighbourhood! :argh:
- Property Taxes only for property owners use! :argh:
- Give control of ambulances to the province
- Make water and sewer a separate entity somehow????
- Make Schools and Community Centres 24/7 places open to everyone I guess
- Get rid of home improvement permit regulations, RED TAPE :argh:
- The above will help homelessness and so will cutting all the money the city spends on shelters because we will ask the province to spend more money than us on it
- SYNC TRAFFIC LIGHTS OBVIOUSLY
- Freeze hiring, overtime and property taxes! :argh:
- Eliminate civic business tax :argh:

On the news he said he opposes any new condo or apartment complexes and wants the city to stop breaking up existing "big lot houses" and zone more "big lot houses"

Yeah he's running in my ward - I thought Allard was unopposed up until about a week ago, so I decided to look this guy up and of course he's a complete cretin. Thankfully Allard is actually decent and this clown has zero chance of winning.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

DariusLikewise posted:

While I don't support the former I do support the latter. Manitoba has by far the shittiest drivers I've ever shared a road with and it's not because of speeding it's because they have no loving clue what lane to turn in to if it's a multi lane street, don't signal, don't merge, drive incredibly aggressively and basically shouldn't be allowed on the street with anything heavier and faster than a little tikes cosy coupe.

The city could make a fortune while finally forcing Manitobans to not be poo poo drivers if they hired a bunch of cops to actually enforce the HTA.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

While I don't support the former I do support the latter. Manitoba has by far the shittiest drivers I've ever shared a road with and it's not because of speeding it's because they have no loving clue what lane to turn in to if it's a multi lane street, don't signal, don't merge, drive incredibly aggressively and basically shouldn't be allowed on the street with anything heavier and faster than a little tikes cosy coupe.

The city could make a fortune while finally forcing Manitobans to not be poo poo drivers if they hired a bunch of cops to actually enforce the HTA.

I was thinking about this and I believe you need a mix of both photo radar and actual traffic enforcement, because they each have their strengths and weaknesses. It's hard for a cop to pull over a parade of jackasses all doing a similarly unsafe speed, whereas a photo-radar can get them all. On the other hand, photo-radar systems do nothing to address the problems you identify.

Calgary's hilarious about photo radar sometimes. There's a photo-radar spot on my commute, right at the city limit on the Trans-Canada, and I always see people getting their photo taken there. It's there at least three times a week when I drive by, and it's easily visible from a long distance away from either direction, depending on which side of the road it's parked on -- it's basically a tax on the criminally stupid, and that's something I very much support.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The only reason why I somewhat dislike photo radar is it incentivises setting speed limits to generate revenue rather than to keep people safe. We have terrible signage in Winnipeg and a few streets that engineers that specialize in traffic safety say should be 60km/h but have been dropped to 50 for decades as part of some stupid pilot. Of course there's a camera right loving there. There's also cameras at intersections just before or after speed limit changes but the signs are postage stamps hidden behind untrimmed trees. If the limits were actually set for public safety and the signage were better I'd be a lot happier with it. Even with that bullshit I prefer the cameras to not having them.

On the flip side we have streets like Marion and Goulet with limits 10km/h higher than they ought to be and nobody has the balls to say that the 'unless otherwise posted' speed should be dropped to 40 or possibly even 30.

Hell, you can't even convince people that the current school zone speed restrictions are a good thing.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 10, 2018

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Having experienced both I have to say I prefer the anything goes attitude toward Winnipeg traffic over small town cops pulling over people just cause theyre bored

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Getting pulled over for bullshit reasons is stupid but I just want people to stop getting killed by cars and even though MPI rates are cheap they'd be even lower if people finally got in the habit of using their signals and turning in to the right loving lane for once.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Arivia posted:

Bad News: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/chp-city-1.4852652 The Christian Heritage Party successfully won a lawsuit against the City of Hamilton over the city removing the party's transphobic ads from their bus stops. Apparently you can say hateful things about Charter-protected groups as long as it's political speech! Really hope this one gets reversed on appeal or there's gonna be a lot of lovely racist Nazi ads in Ontario too.

Surprised this didn't make your bad news list

https://twitter.com/BlanchardPhD/status/1048341529285349376

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Arivia posted:

Uhm, what's the definition of "conversion therapy"? What's the criteria for sorting out a minor who is trans from a minor who is just confused about gender roles? The petition doesn't seem to specify any of that.

Edit - some quick googling seems to suggest this is largely about people trying to "fix" queer youth and not specifically trans individuals

Helsing fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 10, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think it's to get rid of those "pray the gay away" christian camps.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Arcsquad12 posted:

That seems pretty unobjectionable but I am wondering how this relates to minors who express confusion about their gender identity but who aren't necessarily trans or even queer. Is there some kind of specific and operational definition for conversion therapy that the people who want it banned are using or is it more of a "I know it when I see it" situation?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

What sort of lovely thing did CAMH do to that doctor to warrant a half mil payday?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

Edit - some quick googling seems to suggest this is largely about people trying to "fix" queer youth and not specifically trans individuals

That's largely due to there being way more non-straight people than trans people. I've never heard of a conversion program that doesn't also target trans people, it's just not the major focus of their whole thing.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

What sort of lovely thing did CAMH do to that doctor to warrant a half mil payday?

Libel in their investigation and firing him without just cause, in the eyes of the lawsuit.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Helsing posted:

That seems pretty unobjectionable but I am wondering how this relates to minors who express confusion about their gender identity but who aren't necessarily trans or even queer. Is there some kind of specific and operational definition for conversion therapy that the people who want it banned are using or is it more of a "I know it when I see it" situation?

Yeah when I hear the term "conversion therapy" I specifically think of those kinds of camps and they absolutely should be banned. It should probably be made clear that this is what it refers to though, because it is actually an important part of the gender reassignment process to undergo therapeutic counseling in order to identify if someone actually does have gender dysphoria or if they're just feeling confused about their gender identity and just need to talk out their feelings.

I think the distinction is fairly easy to define though - the purpose of the camps is specifically to force people to be straight. They are not interested in helping people to better understand/discover their sexual identity, they are there to force people to conform to a specific one. Actual legitimate sexual/gender identity therapy would not start with a conclusion in mind, but rather would help people feel more secure in their identity, regardless of where it ends up.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The only way banning conversion therapy could affect actual treatment is if it was maliciously crafted to do so on purpose, but I can't imagine anyone who wants to stick it to both LGBT people AND pray away the gay poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

EvilJoven posted:

Fired him for doing the conversion therapy I guess.

quote:

A controversial Toronto psychologist said he feels “vindicated” and “liberated” after receiving an apology from the country’s largest mental-health centre for erroneously representing his behaviour and work in a public review three years ago.

Kenneth Zucker headed up CAMH’s Family Gender Identity Clinic for more than 30 years before he was ousted in December, 2015. Sparked by criticisms that the clinic had been practising conversion therapy on young people who identify as transgender, CAMH had launched an external review earlier that year.

The review found that the clinic focused on intensive assessment and treatment, despite current practice favouring “watchful waiting,” and the education and support of parents in accepting their child’s gender expression.

Although the report also looked specifically at Dr. Zucker’s interactions with patients – including a reference to him insulting a patient – he was not consulted. He was fired the same day it came out. The clinic for children and youth was ultimately shut down as well.

Dr. Zucker’s departure was polarizing. Rainbow Health Ontario, an organization that works to improve access to health and social services for the LGBTQ community, applauded CAMH for commissioning the external review − and for its response to the review’s findings and recommendations.

But while his removal was celebrated by many activists in the transgender community, many of his colleagues were outraged – and more than 500 clinicians and researchers signed a petition in his defence.

In Dr. Zucker’s view, it sparked a fear that the field of gender dysphoria – where he says there remains many urgent and unanswered clinical and theoretical questions – has been “poisoned by politics.”

“I think that conflation with politics has made it very difficult for many people in the field to say what they really think,” he said. “And I think that’s really sad, that in a field where there are so many important issues to discuss and work on, that really bright people feel intimidated.”
He disputes the idea that he was practising conversion therapy by not immediately pushing for transition for a child expressing gender dysphoria.

“I think the term conversion therapy is incredibly inflammatory,” he said. “I think it’s been inappropriately expropriated from the original use of the term, where it was directed at very conservative, religiously motivated clinicians or pastoral counsellors who were seeing, primarily, homosexual men who didn’t want to be gay. There were lots of problems in trying to offer treatment to change an adult’s sexual orientation − we know that’s a very dubious proposition. But to apply [the term] to [treating] a three-year-old child with gender dysphoria, in my opinion, is an absurd comparison.”

He stressed that he assessed each patient on a case-by-case basis, and noted that in 1999 his clinic was one of the first in North America to start using hormonal suppression for adolescents to help them transition.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/toronto/article-doctor-fired-from-gender-identity-clinic-says-he-feels-vindicated/