Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

why cant the poors just get jobs or die or otherwise stop being a problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

�smart quotes � too smart for the forum

it is the latin-1 (and cp1252) decoding of the utf8 encoding of U+FFFD REPLACEMENT CHARACTER:

In [1]: '\N{REPLACEMENT CHARACTER}'
Out[1]: '�'

In [2]: _1.encode('utf-8')
Out[2]: b'\xef\xbf\xbd'

In [3]: _2.decode('cp1252')
Out[3]: '�'

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

测试

🤩

wtf

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

why cant the poors just get jobs or die or otherwise stop being a problem

That would require money we "don't" have.

We totally have the money, but taxes are evil and so is helping the poor

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

yes we can all pull together to buy them tickets to another town (or woodchipper)

as a nimchi (not in my woodchipper) i

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lol man jose/bay area

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

lancemantis posted:

plenty of homeless people in california are from the midwest

i feel like the state has tried to sue other states over it for social services costs

my crappy old village bought our one homeless dude that used to squat in some of the vacant old houses around town a bus ticket to LA; i think some video popped up with him in venice maybe at some point

The guardian did a super good, 18-month investigation into where the homeless get bussed to.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2017/dec/20/bussed-out-america-moves-homeless-people-country-study

3/4 of homeless get bussed from one location to another with a lower median income.

in SF, since 2005 there have been 140 homeless bussed into the city while over 10k have been bussed out.

the #1 destination of homeless people bussed out from new york is to puerto rico

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 10, 2018

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Xaris posted:

lol man jose/bay area

jesus christ look at that sausage party

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Xaris posted:

lol man jose/bay area

lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Xaris posted:

lol man jose/bay area

lol :whitewater:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FCKGW posted:

the #1 destination of homeless people bussed out from new york is to puerto rico

that’s a long bus ride

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it was pretty instructive to me dating in singapore where i was for a few months vs. dating in menlo park that, like in a sales job, most of the differential in success was in location

(seriously, i would say i had 15x, 25x the success in singapore)

e: confounded by the 25 lbs i gained in startupland because american portions lol

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 10, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

jesus christ look at that sausage party

tbf it's dating site accounts, not actual demographics

but good lord lookat san jose ahahahhaahhahaa

e: also san rafael being a place full of middle aged single ladies (primarily hippies) is spot on

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Xaris posted:

lol man jose/bay area

Aren't a lot of these places fairly close to each other? It seems like (unless the "Elaine can't get a date with a 646 number" thing from Seinfeld is actually a thing in SF) this graph ignores the possibility of transmunicipal dating mobility?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FCKGW posted:

The guardian did a super good, 18-month investigation into where the homeless get bussed to.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2017/dec/20/bussed-out-america-moves-homeless-people-country-study

3/4 of homeless get bussed from one location to another with a lower median income.

in SF, since 2005 there have been 140 homeless bussed into the city while over 10k have been bussed out.

jfc i could not imagine san francisco if it's homeless more than doubled right now, it's already insanely bad

there probably isn't any data, but id be curious to know breakdown of mentally ill homeless that should be in an institution with major drug and therapy treatments, vs down-on-luck type that are still mostly in one piece. seems like sf has way more literally insane street homeless that think its ok to masturbate next to women on bart/muni (i have about 4 female friends that have had that happen to them or similar sexual assaulty experiences) and scream at children or w/e, than most major cities ive been to. not that it's still a big majority obviously, but seems way worse here than elsewhere

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

i feel like the state has tried to sue other states over it for social services costs
sued and effectively won, though it's not entirely clear that california has clean hands http://www.sfexaminer.com/sf-reaches-400k-settlement-proposal-in-nevada-patient-dumping-case/

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Schadenboner posted:

Aren't a lot of these places fairly close to each other? It seems like (unless the "Elaine can't get a date with a 646 number" thing from Seinfeld is actually a thing in SF) this graph ignores the possibility of transmunicipal dating mobility?
there are a lot of things wrong with it, namely still a sample of a dating site, and people being desperate enough to use match.com of all places. but still being fairly close is often still very far due to bad transit, traffic, and poor connectivity, making most social circles and things more city-isolated. no one really wants to travel out to walnut creek to date bc its a hassle

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

no young people in san francisco can afford a car or a place to park it, traffic sucks, public transit blows. google buses and uber make it possible to live the techhole lifestyle just fine as long as you never go anywhere except the east side of sf or the valley.

you are a startup shitlord who lives in redwood city and your girlfriend lives near her non-profit job in oakland. when you get that booty call are you gonna take a 60 dollar uber across the bridge, or an hour and a half combination bus and BART ride?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there was a time i lived in sf and didnt talk to an appreciable fraction of my friends except over electronic means cuz they lived in potrero and i lived in noe valley

presidio? that's a day trip right there

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

One of many reasons I would never live in that filthy, depraved shithole.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lmao if you have friends

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sagebrush posted:

no young people in san francisco can afford a car or a place to park it, traffic sucks, public transit blows. google buses and uber make it possible to live the techhole lifestyle just fine as long as you never go anywhere except the east side of sf or the valley.

you are a startup shitlord who lives in redwood city and your girlfriend lives near her non-profit job in oakland. when you get that booty call are you gonna take a 60 dollar uber across the bridge, or an hour and a half combination bus and BART ride?

wow are the kids doing booty calls that early

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

good point. make that a 2.5 hour night bus ride or a $120 surge-priced uber

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

good point. make that a 2.5 hour night bus ride or a $120 surge-priced uber

I mean, if your "girlfriend" is really doing enough throughput to trigger surge pricing in her area you maybe need to ask yourself some questions about the nature of your relationship?

:shrug:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xaris posted:

jfc i could not imagine san francisco if it's homeless more than doubled right now, it's already insanely bad

there probably isn't any data, but id be curious to know breakdown of mentally ill homeless that should be in an institution with major drug and therapy treatments, vs down-on-luck type that are still mostly in one piece. seems like sf has way more literally insane street homeless that think its ok to masturbate next to women on bart/muni (i have about 4 female friends that have had that happen to them or similar sexual assaulty experiences) and scream at children or w/e, than most major cities ive been to. not that it's still a big majority obviously, but seems way worse here than elsewhere

here's a fun little reminder: all of nyc, and sf by itself, have nearly identical amounts of homeless people sleeping unsheltered each night. it's about 4000 people each.

but sf has about an additional 3000 people in shelters each night, while nyc has about 60,000. so only ~6.5% or so of NYC's homeless are unsheltered, while almost 43% of san francisco's are.

that's how little effort sf is willing to really use to handle the homeless population, and if they're this behind in providing a bed just think about what that means for other services.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

lol man jose/bay area

man jose lmao

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

fishmech posted:

here's a fun little reminder: all of nyc, and sf by itself, have nearly identical amounts of homeless people sleeping unsheltered each night. it's about 4000 people each.

but sf has about an additional 3000 people in shelters each night, while nyc has about 60,000. so only ~6.5% or so of NYC's homeless are unsheltered, while almost 43% of san francisco's are.

that's how little effort sf is willing to really use to handle the homeless population, and if they're this behind in providing a bed just think about what that means for other services.

it means they’re bad, op

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shame Boy posted:

when the hell did this thing come out

https://store.google.com/product/google_clips

so you set it down somewhere and it just watches you and randomly saves video then uses that to learn and adapt and recognize people commonly at your house, oh...kay

well they say it learns, but it’s really google learning, and the device is just a peripheral…

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sagebrush posted:

tbf it's dating site accounts, not actual demographics

but good lord lookat san jose ahahahhaahhahaa

e: also san rafael being a place full of middle aged single ladies (primarily hippies) is spot on

i doubt there are very many fake dude accounts, those are mostly all women. so if anything the ratio is even worse lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

eschaton posted:

well they say it learns, but it�s really google learning, and the device is just a peripheral�

it claims that it doesn't need a constant internet connection and can work with its internal storage and sync up after the fact so I think it's got something on the device itself more than just a video stream to google's servers...

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

it'll be able to zoom and pan on its own but it's not going to identify people without a connection. also the data will be used to train murder turrets to select targets based on how hard you're rolling your r's

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

muckswirler posted:

it'll be able to zoom and pan on its own but it's not going to identify people without a connection. also the data will be used to train murder turrets to select targets based on how hard you're rolling your r's

i thought the whole point is it uses identification to know when to actually record though, at the very least i'd think it could do facial tracking and maybe compare it against metadata of people the google servers have identified previously and downloaded into the device

e: the description of how it works and the whole "costs $250 and only gets 3 hours of battery life" thing really seems to me like it's doing some kind of heavy lifting on the thing itself, s'all i'm sayin'

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

yeah maybe that first thing. i guess we'll see. it'll be really cool when at the end of the year it presents a greatest hits of spousal arguments.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

muckswirler posted:

greatest hits of spousal arguments.

:whitewater:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
muckswirler workin' the rough chuckles there

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
as fishmech noted, the thing came out last year to approximately no fanfare because it's a device with no discernible target market that does something no one really wants. it's like what if you had a body cam like cops that could potentially record everything you do all day, but doesn't last very long and only records 15-second snippits whenever it decides to.

sv weirdos aside there isn't a human being on earth that has a use for that

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

it's not vine it's uhhh

google ivy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what if vines, but chosen by ~*the algorithm*~ instead of you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

infernal machines posted:

as fishmech noted, the thing came out last year to approximately no fanfare because it's a device with no discernible target market that does something no one really wants. it's like what if you had a body cam like cops that could potentially record everything you do all day, but doesn't last very long and only records 15-second snippits whenever it decides to.

sv weirdos aside there isn't a human being on earth that has a use for that
Well, new Google products are only released as a way for people who worked on them to get promotions anyway, right? Having no users just makes it more convenient to kill the products when it's time, so it's even better.