Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Haha, I wonder if Alan Horn can expect an angry phone call from Iger sometime in the next few days.
I basically used this for a tweet and the bad movie news guy gave me this response
https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/1049794770816720896
:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Bautista for Bane.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I am looking forward to Infinity War II when they have a title card saying "Drax died on the way back to his home planet."

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
"Now that I have avenged my family, I think I will sit here and slowly consume this earth beer." and then he becomes invisible for real.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm not sure why everyone is hype for the Aquaman trailer or what they're seeing that I'm missing . I actually reversed myself and went from being excited early on to disinterested now but I still think it's gonna be hilarious when this one and Wonder Woman turn out to be DC's two largest successes in their universe films.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Venom was fun and dumb in varying amounts, but Hardy's Eddie Brock voice kept making me think of Bobcat Goldthwait.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm not sure why everyone is hype for the Aquaman trailer or what they're seeing that I'm missing . I actually reversed myself and went from being excited early on to disinterested now but I still think it's gonna be hilarious when this one and Wonder Woman turn out to be DC's two largest successes in their universe films.

I think the Aquaman trailer definitely makes it look like one of the DC movies that I might actually enjoy watching but the idea that it makes Marvel movies look like "70s Marvel" or whatever Mark Millar is on about is pretty laughable.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Kai Tave posted:

I think the Aquaman trailer definitely makes it look like one of the DC movies that I might actually enjoy watching but the idea that it makes Marvel movies look like "70s Marvel" or whatever Mark Millar is on about is pretty laughable.

Aquaman looks like it's going to be, at best, a good bad movie. Like Masters of the Universe.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I know people really like Jason Momoa because he's handsome and seems like a real fun dude to hang out with but I've never seem him.... act well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dave Bautista and Chris Hemsworth couldn’t act before they were cast either and they’re like the best parts of their teams now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Uh Bautista could totally act before Guardians.

Plus I've already seen Jason Momoa as Aquaman and it wasn't exactly Drax.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Hemsworth's roles prior to Thor were a shity soap, the best bit of the first Star Trek reboot and (technically) Cabin in the Woods. He was basically unknown before Thor.

Momoa's been an angry warrior guy in Stargate Atlantis, an angry warrior guy in Game of Thrones and an angry warrior guy in Justice League. How he will handle the role of Aquaman isn't some great mystery.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He was also Conan!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

He was also Conan!

Was he attractive but kinda bland and one-note in that too?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Was he attractive but kinda bland and one-note in that too?

Jesus Christ was he ever. That movie was the dullest thing ever made. Anyone who thought Arnold was a bad choice for Conan should watch it and see how much worse it can get.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The CGI in Aquaman looks bad and Amber Heard's wig is terrible. But it looks fun and if the action sequences are as clear as the rooftop thing then it has a chance.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I thought some bits of the Aquaman trailer were kinda awkward but that could easily be on the script/director as much as the actor.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Just got back from Venom, agree with the general consensus. With the comparisons to Ang Lee's Hulk I was expecting to be disappointed in the powered lapdog category, but was pleasantly surprised.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm still more looking forward to Shazam than Aquaman.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Venom was really fun? It has problems. The editing in the movie is atrocious. That's not even something I normally notice, but man. In the first hour, Brock's hair changes color with every scene transition. Obviously they filmed the stuff with Ron Cephas Jones first, because Hardy's hair is jet black. Every other scene it's varying levels of faded. It was annoying. Also the climax is bad in that Wonder Woman kind of way. Like the movie starts to fall apart completely, but they hurry up and end it before things can get bad. I dunno, I'd watch it again on Netflix. I'd watch it before either Iron Man sequel or Thor 2 or even the aforementioned Wonder Woman if I'm honest.

Seriously though, they better up their CGI and choreographing if we're going from Riot to Carnage. I wasn't impressed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Scaramouche posted:

I'm still more looking forward to Shazam than Aquaman.

I'm looking foward to both.

And every time someone complains about Aquaman being all yea! And awesome bro! all I can think of "you just want your heroes to be all 'i am broody and dark because my soul is the blackest black of the blackest black'". It's a nice change to see a DCU hero that's actually, you know, happy. Even loving Superman wasn't like that until the end of JL.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

twistedmentat posted:

I'm looking foward to both.

And every time someone complains about Aquaman being all yea! And awesome bro! all I can think of "you just want your heroes to be all 'i am broody and dark because my soul is the blackest black of the blackest black'". It's a nice change to see a DCU hero that's actually, you know, happy. Even loving Superman wasn't like that until the end of JL.

I want Aquaman to be like Brave and the Bold Aquaman. Not, like, blonde and blue eyes, I want Jason Momoa to be doing his best big ham instead of laid back surfer dude.

But yeah I'll agree that however it shakes out, Aquaman doesn't need to be grim and gritty and grounded and other g-words that I'm sure people love.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

I basically used this for a tweet and the bad movie news guy gave me this response

(In complete fairness, though, Horn has brought Disney a fairly significant amount of success since he's been head of the studio. :shrug:)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah I saw Venom on Monday and left it thinking "that was dumb as hell but I had a good time"

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Hemsworth's roles prior to Thor were a shity soap, the best bit of the first Star Trek reboot and (technically) Cabin in the Woods. He was basically unknown before Thor.

Momoa's been an angry warrior guy in Stargate Atlantis, an angry warrior guy in Game of Thrones and an angry warrior guy in Justice League. How he will handle the role of Aquaman isn't some great mystery.

Drogo and Ronan aren't even close to being the same character though. Ronan's people were genocided (thus is anger and need for revenge) and he was more of a space cowboy who did get some comedic scenes iirc as opposed to the Savage archetype played straight in GOT

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ronan had a pretty good sense of humor throughout SGA, Drogo was a humorless dick.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah I saw Venom on Monday and left it thinking "that was dumb as hell but I had a good time"

Yeah, this is where I'm at, though I kinda think it wouldn't have been as good without Tom Hardy: I thought his Eddie Brock was pretty good.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

Ronan had a pretty good sense of humor throughout SGA, Drogo was a humorless dick.

I dunno, he pranked Viserys pretty good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blood Fucker 2 will be aiming for a hard PG.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He's not wrong. Carnage isn't about gore. He's about being dangerous, unpredictable, and frighteningly violent. You don't need to see the knife-tentacle go in and the blood spray to convey that.

Carnage has been in children's television and video games. There is a middle ground. Making him hard R just to be edgy and show the penetration would be dumb.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Why is he white-knighting for a character who is well established to be a psycho killer

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Al Borland Corpse posted:

He's not wrong. Carnage isn't about gore. He's about being dangerous, unpredictable, and frighteningly violent. You don't need to see the knife-tentacle go in and the blood spray to convey that.

Carnage has been in children's television and video games. There is a middle ground. Making him hard R just to be edgy and show the penetration would be dumb.

Yeah at the end of the day Carnage is still a spider-man villain: there’s only so dark you’re allowed to get while fighting a quipster.

90s edgelord poo poo was surprisingly bloodless compared to what came after. 9/11 hosed up everything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Carnage was shredding people on panel in his first appearance arc. He signed "CARNAGE WAS HERE" on a wall and Spider-man observed that it was written in blood.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What they need to do for the Carnage movie - there's this Howard Mackie Spider-Man story where Cletus Kasady has lost the Carnage symbiote, but he's still determined to be Carnage, so he strips down to his underwear, covers himself head to toe in red paint and runs around New York with a knife and climbing on people's cars. The issue in which this happened had a great cover with Carnage looming over Spider-Man and the tagline "CARNAGE RETURNS" so I was very disappointed by the contents.

Anyway, that's what they should do for the Carnage movie.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I always thought it was hilarious what was happening with Venom when Carnage was introduced. Somehow Pete had ended up fighting him on a desert island or something and tricked him into thinking that he'd been killed, at which point Eddie and his pal were instantly chill and placated and seemingly decided to spend the rest of their life there. Like, you've killed Spider-Man at last...all that comes next is sitting around on an island listening to the waves until you die.

Then of course Pete shows up and is all "Eddie, sorry but we have a problem...". What a jerk.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Rhyno posted:

Carnage was shredding people on panel in his first appearance arc. He signed "CARNAGE WAS HERE" on a wall and Spider-man observed that it was written in blood.

Yeah but it was a very tame shredding. I know because I was eleven at the time and I wanted it to be bloodier. Carnage was very much a pg13 version of a serial killer.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm not much on Venom but am wise to the character's potential, which always seems to be wasted by dumb motivation. I mean, they can't come up with a better reason for the seething hatred other than "Parker is a good photographer?"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm not much on Venom but am wise to the character's potential, which always seems to be wasted by dumb motivation. I mean, they can't come up with a better reason for the seething hatred other than "Parker is a good photographer?"

I mean his hatred was because Peter outed his fraud, not so much that Peter was better.

But the grudge was done a million times better in the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon. To the point that Eddie was pretty much in the right for his animosity towards Peter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Carnage is about body count.

BiggerBoat posted:

What on earth are you talking about? His motivation being lovely is the point! The self delusion is a big part of his character. It's like saying Dr. Doom's motivation for hating Richards is dumb, or that Bane's motivation for taking out Batman isn't rational enough. It's not about what actually happened (Eddie being exposed as a sloppy reporter by Spider-man), it's about how the character perceives it in his own mind.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Sentinel Red posted:

I always thought it was hilarious what was happening with Venom when Carnage was introduced. Somehow Pete had ended up fighting him on a desert island or something and tricked him into thinking that he'd been killed, at which point Eddie and his pal were instantly chill and placated and seemingly decided to spend the rest of their life there. Like, you've killed Spider-Man at last...all that comes next is sitting around on an island listening to the waves until you die.

Then of course Pete shows up and is all "Eddie, sorry but we have a problem...". What a jerk.

I was rereading that the other day and the blatant intent on making it a Spider-Man and Venom team-up is pretty hilarious. Carnage is on the loose and Spider-Man's like, "I most definitely need Venom's help on this!" But he knows Venom is going to tear him to ribbons upon seeing him, so he brings Human Torch along as protection. This is a rather bizarre plan since you could just have Human Torch (and his three associates) help out against Carnage instead of poking the bear.

At the end of the story, there's this brief mention that having the Fantastic Four outright involved would have made the whole situation more dangerous for bystanders. Maybe you could convince me of that if their replacement wasn't an unhinged mass murderer.

Lurdiak posted:

What on earth are you talking about? His motivation being lovely is the point! The self delusion is a big part of his character. It's like saying Dr. Doom's motivation for hating Richards is dumb, or that Bane's motivation for taking out Batman isn't rational enough. It's not about what actually happened (Eddie being exposed as a sloppy reporter by Spider-man), it's about how the character perceives it in his own mind.

Eddie Brock is a man who woke up late for work and Spider-Man is every red light he got stuck at on the way.

• Locked thread