Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Sorry mate, next year at the earliest :(

What conspiracy theories are out there regarding Port Arthur?

False flag operation to take our guns and/or complete fabrication to take our guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

It was a psyop to ban guns.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Count Chocula posted:

The damage caused by Fukushima has been completely exaggerated.

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4397
Yes your article sure did a great job of beating down the hastily erected straw man. They even claim it was 1/3 as bad as Chernobyl. I wasn't going for a number, but with in an order of magnitude would be as much as you could feasibly put the words in my mouth by including both of them in significant nuclear disasters.

So the score for nuclear proponents stands at: The two for it are both misinformation spreaders. Way to go team rational. :jerkbag:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

You don't wanna go down that rabbit hole

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

It was a psyop to ban guns.

I love that Port Arthur is a conspiracy, but the Tampa/Children overboard affairs are cool and good and had nothing to do with keeping an unpopular government in power.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
https://gumshoenews.com/2016/02/04/an-unexpected-gift-from-the-attorney-general-of-tasmania/

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Don Dongington posted:

The thing I look forward the most to in the 2018 election is the increasingly likely removal of Cory Bernardi and Senator Lionhat from public office.

Bernardi got a 6 year term because he was high up on the Liberal ticket. He's not up for re-election this time.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

This religious freedoms poo poo is the most arrogant garbage I've ever seen. States already allow discrimination against staff on sexual orientation and now they want to expand it so they can put those little gay kids in their place too!

The fact that it's called "religious freedom" when they apparently already have carte blanche to do whatever they gently caress they want is maddening.

The good thing is this now becomes an issue for the victorian elections, especially since the liberal mormon party are the opposition.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

In addition to what others have said, speculation about a second shooter.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

You Am I posted:

You don't wanna go down that rabbit hole

Yeah I do. I love rabbit holes.

Don Dongington posted:

I love that Port Arthur is a conspiracy, but the Tampa/Children overboard affairs are cool and good and had nothing to do with keeping an unpopular government in power.

It does worry me sometimes. Stuff we on the left can point to as a provable conspiracy but nothing ever happens so maybe we're just as paranoid sometimes, y'know?

Then I remember that the right-wing execute their conspiracies out in the open with a compliant press saying it's a good thing and go back to being angry.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Don Dongington posted:

It has its analogue in Americans believing Democrats hold pedo orgies under pizza parlours but that Brett Kavanaugh is an innocent man with a rapist doppleganger.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/1049846927511056384
Geez :smith:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

snoremac posted:

It has its analogue in Americans believing Democrats hold pedo orgies under pizza parlours but that Brett Kavanaugh is an innocent man with a rapist doppleganger.

Pizza parlours that don't have basements, even.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Count Chocula posted:

The damage caused by Fukushima has been completely exaggerated.

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4397

Nice meltdown.

https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/1049828550910476288

What a druggo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This facile, stupid poo poo is as bad from the left as it is from the right. All these comments going on about drinking death stats. Piss off.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
its cool that labor are looking to the democrats for inspiration rather than the successes of labor in the uk

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Not being able to face Australia sober is the most relatable thing ScoMo has ever done.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

What about Ziplinegate?

quote:

The release of the Development Application (DA) is where it all gets interesting.

A close review of the documentation shows the landowner, the BCC Asset Management group, giving its consent for the DA proponent, the Brisbane City Council Natural Environment, Water and Sustainability (NEWS) Branch, to lodge the DA with the reviewing body, the BCC Development Services department.

The BCC is thus on all three sides of the approval process triangle, as landowner, DA submitter and DA assessor. Very cosy! However, none of this is revealed on the BCC project website or in the community newsletters.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

NSW now fines $535 + instant 3 month ban for low range BAC. this also includes first time MDT positive test results.

reminder that the MDTs do not test for opiates, benzos, or other prescription drugs that are the majority of drug driving related accidents, just THC, MDMA and Meth (and some cocaine sometimes if they are running the trial)

so you can smoke a doobie on friday evening, not drive all weekend and lose your license on Monday morning on the way to work despite being totally sober.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Federal Treasurer Josh Frydenberg has poured cold water on the NSW premier's call to halve her state's immigration intake, saying Australia is a "proud migrant nation".

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Laserface posted:

NSW now fines $535 + instant 3 month ban for low range BAC. this also includes first time MDT positive test results.

reminder that the MDTs do not test for opiates, benzos, or other prescription drugs that are the majority of drug driving related accidents, just THC, MDMA and Meth (and some cocaine sometimes if they are running the trial)

so you can smoke a doobie on friday evening, not drive all weekend and lose your license on Monday morning on the way to work despite being totally sober.

I thought those tests worked in a way that THC was a window of 24 hours but maybe that's a different test?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

This facile, stupid poo poo is as bad from the left as it is from the right. All these comments going on about drinking death stats. Piss off.

Yeah exactly, this has to be the only non-terrible poo poo Scott Morrison has done over the last 3 weeks. Who loving cares, it's a beer.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

JBP posted:

Federal Treasurer Josh Frydenberg has poured cold water on the NSW premier's call to halve her state's immigration intake, saying Australia is a "proud migrant nation".

Behind Western Europe I believe the highest migrant numbers are from China, both groups which Liberals see as forming their current and possibly future electoral base. They do not want them to stop and the dogwhistle attempt is being shut down from up high by pointing out "these people vote for us you loving dipshits".

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Cartoon posted:

* Misrepresentation. No. Australia has never banned nuclear power.
* Ad Homenin.

And clowns like you wonder why nuclear gets a bad name. If the advocates are so loving willing to misrepresent and insult who is going to give them the time of day?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power_in_Australia

http://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2012C00801/Download

wiki posted:

The Commonwealth Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999prohibits certain nuclear actions specified in s.22A unless a federal approval is obtained. It specifically prohibits nuclear power generation in s.140A (an amendment insisted upon by the Australian Democrats). The Act states that the Minister must not approve an action consisting of or involving the construction or operation of a nuclear fuel fabrication plant, or a nuclear power station, or an enrichment plant, or a reprocessing facility.

Literally banned by thread favourites, the democrats.

I can't be bothered to look up the mining regulations per state, but iirc NSW views uranium specifically as a contaminant so it's been taken off the geological ore or whatever maps, and per wiki Victoria has banned exploration outright.

Technically, unless you've a specific exemption, the nature of which escapes me, you aren't allowed to process or refine uranium beyond yellowcake, hence the past SA nuclear industry enquiry.

Also nice meltdown

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

JBP posted:

I thought those tests worked in a way that THC was a window of 24 hours but maybe that's a different test?

if you smoke regularly the 'active thc' that it detects in saliva can be there in an above-threshold amount for up to a week.

I believe the tests can detect as low as 50mcg/L, and that amount is in your saliva for an irregular smoking for up to a day afterwards.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Laserface posted:

if you smoke regularly the 'active thc' that it detects in saliva can be there in an above-threshold amount for up to a week.

I believe the tests can detect as low as 50mcg/L, and that amount is in your saliva for an irregular smoking for up to a day afterwards.

That's dumb as gently caress, I thought someone already challenged one of those tests in court and got off.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4253 Skeptoid did an episode on them.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

JBP posted:

That's dumb as gently caress, I thought someone already challenged one of those tests in court and got off.

yes. its a test for presence of a substance, not a test for impairment due to said substance, and it is wrong as gently caress.

you should definitely not be high and driving, and I am not advocating that you should be allowed to, however these tests only show for the presence of a substance, often in a non-active level.

its hosed and it will be a definite roadblock to any kind of legalisation of cannabis.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Laserface posted:

yes. its a test for presence of a substance, not a test for impairment due to said substance, and it is wrong as gently caress.

you should definitely not be high and driving, and I am not advocating that you should be allowed to, however these tests only show for the presence of a substance, often in a non-active level.

its hosed and it will be a definite roadblock to any kind of legalisation of cannabis.

I must have been under the false assumption that the police tests were different to or more accurate to impairment than ones in a workplace. When I organised warehouses I had so many good workers (many delegates because you randomly test them more often, it's random though!) get shafted by drug tests that revealed they enjoyed some weed on Saturday night. Super Cheap Auto's warehouse used drug tests to bone 4 out of 7 delegates at once after learning they had all been at a party together and that it was likely they'd nab someone in the zero tolerance of your personal life test.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

JBP posted:

I must have been under the false assumption that the police tests were different to or more accurate to impairment than ones in a workplace. When I organised warehouses I had so many good workers (many delegates because you randomly test them more often, it's random though!) get shafted by drug tests that revealed they enjoyed some weed on Saturday night. Super Cheap Auto's warehouse used drug tests to bone 4 out of 7 delegates at once after learning they had all been at a party together and that it was likely they'd nab someone in the zero tolerance of your personal life test.

its super cool and good that people who are high as a loving kite on Endone or Valium will have zero issue passing a MDT.

I take Dexamphetamine for ADHD and I am very paranoid that this is going to get my license suspended when I cant produce a valid script.

also I smoke weed but I dont drive when I am partaking.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I thought dexies don't show up?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Nanpa posted:

Uhhhhh...

I think only ScreamingLlama is a democrat die hard in this thread. I was under the impression thread consensus was that they were idiots for caving on the GST and a perfect example of useless centrists.

This information on nuclear also certainly doesn't help my view of them.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Nanpa posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power_in_Australia

http://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2012C00801/Download

I can't be bothered to look up the mining regulations per state, but iirc NSW views uranium specifically as a contaminant so it's been taken off the geological ore or whatever maps, and per wiki Victoria has banned exploration outright.

Technically, unless you've a specific exemption, the nature of which escapes me, you aren't allowed to process or refine uranium beyond yellowcake, hence the past SA nuclear industry enquiry.

Also nice meltdown
All that does in put the right of approval at the Federal level. So yeah. Not actually banned. That's called regulated.

Third pro nuke talking bullshit. I'm seeing a pattern.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hambeet posted:

I thought dexies don't show up?

some people say it has, some people say it doesnt. my doctor advised to carry an empty bottle in my car with my script/name on it (empty because you dont want to store the medication in a hot car)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Laserface posted:

some people say it has, some people say it doesnt. my doctor advised to carry an empty bottle in my car with my script/name on it (empty because you dont want to store the medication in a hot car)

Is there no way the doctor can just give you a note to keep in the car? That's ridiculous.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

JBP posted:

Is there no way the doctor can just give you a note to keep in the car? That's ridiculous.

yeah, they can, im not seeing him for a month though.

I mean theres also reports of people punching cones while driving and being tested minutes later who test negative. so who knows if they are even effective.

for me at least, when I am stoned my mouth is so dry Id be lucky to dampen the swab at all.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

These people are not drunk, as you suppose; it is only nine o'clock in the morning.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Looks like he’s just holding it and doesn’t know what to do with it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

If weed isn't legalised then testing to see if you've had it in your system at any point is valid, I guess

If it were legalised they'd have to change to measuring impairment level in some way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

If weed isn't legalised then testing to see if you've had it in your system at any point is valid, I guess

If it were legalised they'd have to change to measuring impairment level in some way

Driving under the influence of weed and actually being in possession of weed (because AFAIK that's what they charge you with even if they catch you ripping a bong?) are two very different offences. Depending on your locality, the latter may be a much more minor offence.

I've never heard of anyone being charged for being stoned, it's always for having the prohibited substance in ones possession. It brings up an interesting argument, because feasibly if you're not impaired at the time of the test, and you're not in possession of anything, the court can't convict you under any existing laws without really stretching the word of the law?

• Locked thread